HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 69: Vancouver Canucks vs. Montreal Canadiens - Mar 10 - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
As long nobody got injured I satisfied. Habs are blowing their draft choice which is the only thing that should matter to them.

Malhotra - just absolutely useless. I know we will hear from Open Door and others about how Malhotra played "like an outstanding statistical and zone deployment game" but what I saw was a slow moving, slow reacting player who spend most of the night avoiding contact. Again he was terribly weak in one on one efforts and along the boards. His acceleration appears to have totally disappeared and he can't skate with the puck even a little bit. Not even that good on the face-offs tonight which IMO is his only use.

My biggest problem here is that in a game like tonight it would be good to have some more toughness on the 4th line. To me, Malhotra brings so little that it would be better to have, at least, someone who brings some grit. I've been watching the Wolves and Bitz is playing good hockey. If he is on the 4th line you got something to push back if the other team starts to run your players. With Malhotra you have instead a player who has no physical dimension and outside of face-offs does nothing else. Could well be that someone like Bitz (or even Duco) could provide much more offense. (wouldn't be hard b/c Malhotra provides none). Also, LaPierre steps it up when you get physical players with him.

I do not understand what Malhotra is providing to the team (especially with the addition of Phalsson) and how anyone can defend the play of Malhotra.
100% agree, a line of Bitz - Lappy - Kass would have been awesome for this game and throughout these "meaningless" games for the Canucks where some players if not most are playing non motivated.

And agreed with being happy that nobody got injured.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:35 AM
JuiceLovesStanchion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I see that as an excuse for poor performance in current games.

I am sure the season ticket holders are pleased to hear this so they can get a rebate for these less important games.
I think you're taking it out of context. His comments seemed to be more along the lines of needing to get going as important games are only 13 games away.

Old
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Lol at the people getting stuck into Henrik...... If the Sedins come up big in the playoffs you guys will be the first to get on the "Henrik Sedin is too cool for the regular season" train.

And he sucks in the playoffs I won't give a **** about the regular season, we have bigger problems.

Old
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
No one is going to care about what anyone says in game 60-something of the regular season if they do ramp it up in the playoffs. I don't see it as much of an issue. If the Sedins feel they need to save a bit down the stretch to have more in the tank for the playoffs, I'm fine with it.

What matters starts in April.
AV seems to have a different take on things with his comment about the days off to rest so they cannot use the excuse they are tired.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:36 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
The quote was "we have 13 more games and then the important games start". I don't see what's so controversial about this.
...and should we really be so surprised this is happening? The Canucks are virtually locked into a top 2 seed. They have a President's trophy. It's nice, but what did it mean last year? Home ice throughout the playoffs is nice, but given the choice between going all out and playing desperate hockey to get 1st place or saving something, sitting comfortably in 2nd, and flipping the switch a few games before the playoffs start, I don't blame them for seemingly choosing option B.

I think people are blowing things waaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion. The team knows what kind of daunting task is in front of them, why are they going to run themselves into the ground to beat a team like Montreal?

Flame away. The sky is falling. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Quote:
AV seems to have a different take on things with his comment about the days off to rest so they cannot use the excuse they are tired.
Vigneault has to say what he's saying. The team will maintain that they want to give 100% every night, not take anything for granted, every two points is important, etc.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceLovesStanchion View Post
I think you're taking it out of context. His comments seemed to be more along the lines of needing to get going as important games are only 13 games away.
I think you are wrong.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:38 AM
JuiceLovesStanchion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I think you are wrong.
As I said earlier he also mentioned getting going down the stretch so I definitely don't see the other comment as "Well we aren't too concerned as we are just waiting for the important games to start."

Old
03-11-2012, 12:41 AM
School of WristShot

Wetcoaster
"we have 13 more games and then the important games start"
He is waiting for the "important games" to start

These quotes carry significantly different meanings. First one could mean, we need to up our games in next 13 before the important games start while second one is plain simple excuse.

Sorry Hank, I was absolutely disgusted by that quote taken out of context and reacted in bad manner.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Kagee*

Well we'll see how the playoffs go after taking all these games off, the team learns something new every year!

Old
03-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceLovesStanchion View Post
As I said earlier he also mentioned getting going down the stretch so I definitely don't see the other comment as "Well we aren't too concerned as we are just waiting for the important games to start."
Your are entitled to your interpretation - but given what we have seen recently and comments being made here and in the media about the team waiting for the play-offs, it seems to fit.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:43 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
...and should we really be so surprised this is happening? The Canucks are virtually locked into a top 2 seed. They have a President's trophy. It's nice, but what did it mean last year? Home ice throughout the playoffs is nice, but given the choice between going all out and playing desperate hockey to get 1st place or saving something, sitting comfortably in 2nd, and flipping the switch a few games before the playoffs start, I don't blame them for seemingly choosing option B.

I think people are blowing things waaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion. The team knows what kind of daunting task is in front of them, why are they going to run themselves into the ground to beat a team like Montreal?
Totally agree...

I think the Sedins, after they realized that the refs were going to let the Canadians do whatever they wanted to do to them just figured it wasn't worth it. Sure... they'll take the abuse to draw penalties and then get PP chances but if those chances aren't there why dig that deep? Why take the abuse?

Henrik was asked about going for the Presidents Trophy again this season and he said "...didn't do us much good last season".

I just think they're happy with 3rd place, if they get higher great... but every opponent will be a tough out in the playoffs, they know that. They've won all the regular season awards, got all the accolades, been all stars etc.... but they haven't won anything.

I think they're steeling themselves to unleash the hounds in the playoffs. (I hope)

Old
03-11-2012, 12:44 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Totally agree...

I think the Sedins, after the realized that the refs were going to let the Canadians do whatever they wanted to do to them just figured it wasn't worth it. Sure... they'll take the abuse to draw penalties and then get PP chances but if those chances aren't there why dig that deep? Why take the abuse?

Henrik was asked about going for the Presidents Trophy again this season and he said "...didn't do us much good this season".

I just think they're happy with 3rd place, if they get higher great... but every opponent will be a tough out in the playoffs, they know that. They've won all the regular season awards, got all the accolades, been all stars etc.... but they haven't won anything.

I think they're stealing themselves to unleash the hounds in the playoffs. (I hope)
Are they not realistically a lock for 2nd?

Old
03-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelKesler17 View Post
Wetcoaster
"we have 13 more games and then the important games start"
He is waiting for the "important games" to start

These quotes carry significantly different meanings. First one could mean, we need to up our games in next 13 before the important games start while second one is plain simple excuse.

Sorry Hank, I was absolutely disgusted by that quote taken out of context and reacted in bad manner.
Interpret it how you wish. Considering the Sedins' recent lack of performances and AVs comments in the presser, I see the comments in a much different light. YMMV.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
AvantiCanada*

Meh game.

The Habs were using a lot of stickwork. I guess the stick swinging will come in handy when they are golfing next mont....Hey-O!

Team is clearly having a tough time with the break out. The first pass out of the zone is really hampering our neutral zone speed.

The defence has been a fire drill since the All Star game. Edler and Bieksa are making mistakes left and right. While the MAG-Tanev pairing had puck moving moments of brilliance they also let a Hab through split between them, something that just doesn't, or shouldn't happen in NHL hockey.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
Are they not realistically a lock for 2nd?
2nd - 3rd... sure. You're probably right though... 2nd.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:46 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Totally agree...

I think the Sedins, after they realized that the refs were going to let the Canadians do whatever they wanted to do to them just figured it wasn't worth it. Sure... they'll take the abuse to draw penalties and then get PP chances but if those chances aren't there why dig that deep? Why take the abuse?

Henrik was asked about going for the Presidents Trophy again this season and he said "...didn't do us much good last season".

I think they're steeling themselves to unleash the hounds in the playoffs. (I hope)
We're a virtual lock for a top 2 seed, not 3.

11 points is a pretty ridiculous spread for Dallas to make up on us in only 13 games. Maybe if they win both their games left against us in regulation they have a shot, but it'd still be very tough for them to do.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

I just watched Henrik's post game interview and I don't see anything wrong with what he said. Extremely innocuous and a non-story.

Old
petrishriekandgo
Why not us?

Quote:
We're a virtual lock for a top 2 seed, not 3.
Yes... OK, 2nd.

Even more reason to take the foot off the gas and save the body for the playoffs.

Old
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Malhotra - just absolutely useless. I know we will hear from Open Door and others about how Malhotra played "like an outstanding statistical and zone deployment game" but what I saw was a slow moving, slow reacting player who spend most of the night avoiding contact. Again he was terribly weak in one on one efforts and along the boards. His acceleration appears to have totally disappeared and he can't skate with the puck even a little bit. Not even that good on the face-offs tonight which IMO is his only use.

My biggest problem here is that in a game like tonight it would be good to have some more toughness on the 4th line. To me, Malhotra brings so little that it would be better to have, at least, someone who brings some grit. I've been watching the Wolves and Bitz is playing good hockey. If he is on the 4th line you got something to push back if the other team starts to run your players. With Malhotra you have instead a player who has no physical dimension and outside of face-offs does nothing else. Could well be that someone like Bitz (or even Duco) could provide much more offense. (wouldn't be hard b/c Malhotra provides none). Also, LaPierre steps it up when you get physical players with him.

I do not understand what Malhotra is providing to the team (especially with the addition of Phalsson) and how anyone can defend the play of Malhotra.
You're really detracting from your overall points every time you rant about Malhotra and talk down to people who contextualize Malhotra's play within the type of minutes he's put in.

He's a defensive forward who starts in his own end pretty much every shift, yet wasn't on the ice for a single ES GA and he just got scored against on the PP for the first time in over a month despite being the team's #1 PK forward (and even then it was a 5 on 3). You might not like how he looks doing it, but he's fulfilling the role given to him by the coaching staff which is goal prevention and eating up defensive zone time.

It's pretty evident that the coaching staff vehemently disagrees with your impressions of his play. He's played in every single game and got more minutes than Pahlsson or Lapierre did tonight. When you are unwilling to understand how and why the coaching staff is deploying him like they are, you're going to continue to be befuddled at his minutes.

Closed Thread