HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Outage in Toronto. 0-0 after overtime. Flyers 1 in skills competition.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Wendelstache

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkessel View Post
The turning point in this season was the reimer shutouts if you arent a reimer lover you saw that they were both very unimpressive shutouts there was something like 6+ posts hit and the way reimer crotches in the net and plays on the goal line has nothing to do with him cutting down angles let wilson who did this non stop run with his favorite which got gus cold which we all know how he plays when he sits for 2 weeks
^^very true!
Wilson ice a hot goaltender, and couldn't keep the confidence of any of his tenders by switching them everytime there's a loss. This is on Burke.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Any goalie we had here in recent years sucked. Don't you think that it's maybe because the team in front of them sucked?

OR MAYBE the coach sucked? You know,the one who never accomplished anything here? The one we fired recently? No? Don't you think?
When pucks go through goalies like the game winner Gus gave up vs. Pittsburgh, Jersey on a consistent basis which Reimer is at fault for this year too there's nobody to blame but themselves.

In todays game rather a shot is tipped or not ,shot from a good scoring chance or not a goalie getting beat with pucks that go through them underneath there arms, in between there legs or anywhere close in tight to there bodies with the equipment they have X2 for both Reimer and Gustavsson who are big bodied goalies have only themselves to blame and those are the types of goals all the Leaf goalies give up way too frequently seems like every game more than just once per game. Systems, defensive play anything else that the deflectors of the goaltending issues would bring up wont help if your goalies are getting beat with shots with pucks that go through them. Acceptable goals where the goalies aren't at fault are the ones where the pucks beat them in the corners of the net example think of the skills competitions those targets that are up those are the places where an NHL goalie gets beat that you could live with and place no blame on them but if they consistently get beat like I said when the pucks go through them you have goaltending issues that systems or better defensive play wont fix.

It's those types of goals that has plagued Reimer this year as the difference that didn't happen last year in that he was rarely beat with pucks going through him and Gustavsson gets beat by those shots more than anybody the Leafs have had at the worst parts of games in tied games playing really good stellar even in the 3rd period and wham! through Gustavsson game done that's why Wilson didn't trust him he's had his heart broken too many times by Gustavsson with those types of goals.

People could go on and on about systems the defense etc. if the goalies don't stop giving up the goals that go through them at the rate they do Carlyle would suffer the same fate Wilson did even if Burke signs both Parise and Suter + trades for Getzlaf the Leafs will still not make the playoffs with there goalies giving up the amount of goals they do with pucks going through them.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

damn picked up a stupid point.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:17 PM
diceman934

Kessel is a highly skilled player who has a great release. He has great speed. He also has great on ice vision.

The issues with Kessel is that he does not compete hard and avoids the dirty areas of the ice. He is a perimeter player. Kessel will never be a player who will win puck battles but he could improve his work ethic when the puck is heading south.

Teams are made up of many different kinds of players, but they should all have a common focus....work hard towards winning hockey games...and at this point in the season he has pull the chute.....

It is not very often that a young player who can score is made available at such a young age, but Boston got more then enough in return for a player that they knew did not fit into their long term plans.

Carlyle will get sick of his act and he will have options, play and compete or sit and watch.

Last edited by diceman934: 03-10-2012 at 11:47 PM.
diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:50 PM
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh

What a boring game that was. Did Philly expect the leafs to trap? Because they looked out of sorts all game.

TasteLikeBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Kessel is a highly skilled player who has a great release. He has great speed. He also has great on ice vision.

The issues with Kessel is that he does not compete hard and avoids the dirty areas of the ice. He is a perimeter player. Kessel will never be a player who will win puck battles but he could improve his work ethic when the puck is heading south.

Teams are made up of many different kinds of players, but they should all have a common focus....work hard towards winning hockey games...and at this point in the season he has pull the chute.....

It is not very often that a young player who can score is made available at such a young age, but Boston got more then enough in return for a player that they knew did not fit into their long term plans.

Carlyle will get sick of his act and he will have options, play and compete or sit and watch.
Agreed.

Kessel needs to switch it up and drive to the net a little more often. I know that's never going to be his bread and butter but I think everyone knows where he'll go on the ice now. His go to move seems to be to skate hard into the zone and then turn back toward the blueline before there's any contact. It bought him time with the puck before but more teams seem to be taking that away from him.

And with Carlyle, he better be back checking a lot harder. The least he could do is get back quicker and get his stick in the passing lanes to give the defenders half a chance. He's got all kinds of skill, but half assing it on defense is going to drive any coach crazy.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:04 AM
BurnsBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
how many did perry get?
Perry who?

BurnsBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:10 AM
ponder

I love how we're finally playing good defense, I can handle a loss just fine when we defend well. We lost in the SO against a good team, no big deal, especially when what we really need is losses at the moment, not wins. It may have been a boring game, but at least the team is showing a TONNE of progress defensively under Carlyle.

As for Kessel, he is a great skater with a great shot and great puck handling ability, but he's always going to be incredibly soft. He is probably the least physical player in the league, he does not compete hard physically at all, and because of that he's not very good defensively, this is really nothing new and it's NOT going to change. I've accepted this, he's not a franchise player, he's too one dimensional, but he is GREAT with the puck, very dynamic. He's a 1st line winger who can have a major impact with the puck and on the PP, you just can't expect him to play and all around game, because he does not at all. He's still a very useful player, even if he is soft as tissue paper.

Last edited by ponder: 03-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:46 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Why do people keep saying it was a boring game. Because of the low score? Maybe the 1st period was semi boring, but there's nothing like a tight defensive game, 0-0, chances, posts, speed, breakaways, fights, hits, etc. It was exciting in my eyes.

I love these kind of games. Solid D play, then the other team makes 1 mistake and bam! you score.

Amazing hockey. I hope we keep it up!!

Old
03-11-2012, 12:48 AM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
Why do people keep saying it was a boring game. Because of the low score? Maybe the 1st period was semi boring, but there's nothing like a tight defensive game, 0-0, chances, posts, speed, breakaways, fights, hits, etc. It was exciting in my eyes.

I love these kind of games. Solid D play, then the other team makes 1 mistake and bam! you score.

A bit sloppy, but I agree, good game overall. Gus looked real good this game, I reckon he plays tomorrow also.

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:49 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
A bit sloppy, but I agree, good game overall. Gus looked real good this game, I reckon he plays tomorrow also.
I think he earned it. Hope he keeps it up, 2 back to backs in a row.

LeeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post

Agreed. That is what I call hockey now.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Liked how we played tonight. Thank god we don't have to see those horrid pinches.

A good physical, and defensively responsible game is what gets you far. We were unlucky tonight, especially on the Mac post - the puck hit the inside of the post, then slid right under Bryz's pads. 90% of time that's in.

If we can maintain this kind of system next year, and Kuly returns to form, AND some of the crap is shaved off the third line, we could see a good team.

And LOL at all the people bashing Kessel. Not every player is born to be a 2 way force, or a hitting machine. Those guys are a very rare breed, and thus are very valuable.

Kessel is a sniper, who plays like....a SNIPER. Just like 90% of the other snipers in the league.

Everyone can't be Corey Perry.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:17 AM
reggietfc

Poor phil..he is going to lose a hr sleep tonight..

reggietfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:18 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
This fanbase would complain about Pavel Bure in his prime, how embarrassing.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:42 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Debatable.

Reimer's February Stats:

10 GP, 4-6-0, .901 SV%, 3.19 GAA

Gustavsson's February Stats:

6 GP, 0-3-1, .880 SV%, 3.76 GAA
I believe the argument that the poster you quoted was making is that if Wilson had played Gustavsson more consistently, then he would quickly end whatever skid he may have briefly experienced and then play better (i.e. more similar to how he played tonight). Arguably, this may be because he would be more confident when not having the competition, uncertainty and judgement. Different goalies react differently in such a situation.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:56 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Question
Question
Question:

when in Feb did you feel was the turning point or the game in which you thought the Leafs' post season chances were sunk?

Sundin Night In Canada?

Game 35 I voiced my opinion on us not making the playoffs

You could see this teams problems right from the start of the season though. Kessel and Lupul winning the leafs games masked how bad this team has been all season for alot of leaf fans.

These guys have sucked all year. No execution whatsoever, stage fright it feels like when half the team has the puck

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Henderson19

Maybe we should trade all of our good players...and just keep the Canadian ones instead.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
No one watches HNIC for Cherry. They watch because HNIC put the Leafs on TV on Saturdays.

PS
Leaf Nation has gone full retard.
I'm curious as to what CC's ratings are.

Also yes, we've gone full retard, but you can't really blame us, we're just affected by the Leafs themselves going full retard.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:17 AM
dirk41

Kessel is making $5,400,000 and he's earned every penny of it this year. Fans just shouldn't expect him to be something he's not: a three-zone player.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:09 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkessel View Post
The turning point in this season was the reimer shutouts if you arent a reimer lover you saw that they were both very unimpressive shutouts there was something like 6+ posts hit and the way reimer crotches in the net and plays on the goal line has nothing to do with him cutting down angles let wilson who did this non stop run with his favorite which got gus cold which we all know how he plays when he sits for 2 weeks
Those back to back shutouts were not overly impressive, especially the overblown 50-some "save" performance against the Sens. Until the statistitians devide a way to measure quality of shots, though, people would actually have to watch the games, and not memorize stat sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Agreed.

Kessel needs to switch it up and drive to the net a little more often. I know that's never going to be his bread and butter but I think everyone knows where he'll go on the ice now. His go to move seems to be to skate hard into the zone and then turn back toward the blueline before there's any contact. It bought him time with the puck before but more teams seem to be taking that away from him.

And with Carlyle, he better be back checking a lot harder. The least he could do is get back quicker and get his stick in the passing lanes to give the defenders half a chance. He's got all kinds of skill, but half assing it on defense is going to drive any coach crazy.
There's about 10 forwards on the team I'd rather drive the net ahead of Kessel. Phil is pulling his weight offensively, which is more than what could be said about 3/4 of the team.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:26 AM
mapes

Quote:
Debatable.

Reimer's February Stats:

10 GP, 4-6-0, .901 SV%, 3.19 GAA

Gustavsson's February Stats:

6 GP, 0-3-1, .880 SV%, 3.76 GAA
I think he's referring to the fact Gus was on a roll and he switched back to Reimer for a few games in a row, then switched back and Gus started struggling again.

I love the **** Kessel gets. Really? Let's rip on the guy with 34 goals, 37 assists? I swear if we had Sid people would complain he doesn't hit enough :

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
ForzaItalia

Team is now only 4 points away from the Eastern Conference basement.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Terrence
Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I think he's referring to the fact Gus was on a roll and he switched back to Reimer for a few games in a row, then switched back and Gus started struggling again.

I love the **** Kessel gets. Really? Let's rip on the guy with 34 goals, 37 assists? I swear if we had Sid people would complain he doesn't hit enough :
Responded to this here:

Quote:
Reimer got 2 straight shutouts to start February, the first one coming off a back to back, before he really started to stink it up. Can't really blame Wilson for starting Reimer to start the month. You aren't gonna sit a goalie shortly after he just got 2 straight shutouts.

I will agree with you and say that Wilson did make an error by sticking by Reimer for too long. By that time, Gus was cold and back to his terrible play.

Part of this is on Wilson as he should of platooned both goaltenders more effectively to keep them both sharp. But, part of this is on Gus as a good goaltender should be able to stay sharp without playing. It's what makes a good goaltender.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Absolutely crazy that a win tomorrow night will pull the Leafs right back into it.

I mean... 4 points back of the Caps after tmo would change things dramatically. The only team I'm worried about is Buffalo, but we actualy have games left against them too, so... it's just a matter of taking care of our own business.
It's actually 5 points if you think about it. Caps have 33 ROW to the Leafs 27. In other words, they have the tie-breaker.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote