HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 01:59 AM
nfld77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
No, he's signed for 2 more years.

Oops, sorry bout that one guys!!

Old
03-11-2012, 03:11 AM
snakeye

Imagine if Markov helps the team win til the end of the season, then the habs still miss the playoffs and he re-injures himself.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:26 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
This time he gets a real coach for a change, and a real line, not garbage like darche and gomez.
He's had literally every forward on his line at some point over his career. If Jacques Martin isn't the coachiest-coach who ever coached, I don't know why Trotz is.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:35 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I heard on the way home from the Preds game that Geoffrion scored. That's great news! Too bad he hit a wall down here but I'll be cheering for him no doubt. I'll probably head that way for a game sometime and pick me up a shirt or something. Was this his first game as an Hab?

Old
03-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Stive Morgan
Habland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I heard on the way home from the Preds game that Geoffrion scored. That's great news! Too bad he hit a wall down here but I'll be cheering for him no doubt. I'll probably head that way for a game sometime and pick me up a shirt or something. Was this his first game as an Hab?
He's played about 5 games, I think. This was his first point as well as his first goal with the Habs.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:42 AM
beaverBFP

I'm so happy markov played! Loved seeing his touch pass to pk, so deadly!

Old
03-11-2012, 03:45 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

I missed you Markov, I missed you. Keep playing, just make sure we still get a top 5 pick please.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:56 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalock View Post
He's played about 5 games, I think. This was his first point as well as his first goal with the Habs.
It's Canucks tradition for at least one player of the opposition to accomplish some sort of feat against them.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:17 AM
The Right Price

40-32-10 is still attainable. 90 pts.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
40-32-10 is still attainable. 90 pts.
90 points !!! wow did i dream to see people dream's

Common don't overexpect the season's end ... at this point we shall build around chemistry and confidence for next year!

Old
03-11-2012, 06:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
2-0 without Desharnais
You mean 1-0?

He didn't play the whole game last game but he still got an assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He was astute and on the ball tonight.

Btw I never had a chance to respond to your suggestion we sign Whitney. I'm defs not against it but I just don't see him coming over at all.

We'll probably miss out on Suter (he's a lock for Detroit) who else is available?
I posted a list in the cap thread.

The four guys I'd be throwing money at (3 on a long term contract, Whitney on short term).

Ray Whitney
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise
Dennis Wideman

Old
03-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Guys, if we win our remaining 13 games we have an 83.3% chance to make the playoffs

I believe in Harvey Dent Andrei Markov

Old
03-11-2012, 07:45 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Look where the team sits. Look where the team has finished. Look at what this team has accomplished since 1993.

Yes.

Mediocrity.

Embarassment.

Stupidity.
WTK,

You're a great poster and I sorta understand your point. Sometimes, I even think like you do on this but there's one thing you forget:

LOSING CAN BE ADDICTIVE!

The Oilers have tanked for how many years and where are they? The islanders, the Caps. The Panthers.

Even if it means we end up 9th in the conference, I want my team to play the way they did last night.

It's not a lottery draft pick that this team needs. It's a management group that knows how to put square pegs into square holes. This present Habs management needs someone to explain to them the difference between a circle and a square and then not to explain it too quickly or to use words with more than one syllable.

With a competent GM at this season's end and with Trevor Timmins & his staff doing their work, I can honestly live with finishing 9th in the standings but our team plays like they did last night

AND THE GENERAL COMES BACK HEALTHY.

Since this is a Markov thread I want to add my two cents. I didn't realize how much I missed this guy. His vision, passing and hockey sense is world class. What a player.

He was caught out of position a number of times and I think it's more a case of adapting to the quickness of the game and not that his knee is bothering him.

I hope Markov goes on a scoring tear.

Good to have you back, Mon Général.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Toastman

Trade Markov while his value is high

Old
03-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
WTK,

You're a great poster and I sorta understand your point. Sometimes, I even think like you do on this but there's one thing you forget:

LOSING CAN BE ADDICTIVE!

The Oilers have tanked for how many years and where are they? The islanders, the Caps. The Panthers.

Even if it means we end up 9th in the conference, I want my team to play the way they did last night.

It's not a lottery draft pick that this team needs. It's a management group that knows how to put square pegs into square holes. This present Habs management needs someone to explain to them the difference between a circle and a square and then not to explain it too quickly or to use words with more than one syllable.

With a competent GM at this season's end and with Trevor Timmins & his staff doing their work, I can honestly live with finishing 9th in the standings but our team plays like they did last night

AND THE GENERAL COMES BACK HEALTHY.

Since this is a Markov thread I want to add my two cents. I didn't realize how much I missed this guy. His vision, passing and hockey sense is world class. What a player.

He was caught out of position a number of times and I think it's more a case of adapting to the quickness of the game and not that his knee is bothering him.

I hope Markov goes on a scoring tear.

Good to have you back, Mon Général.
I agree and not. Personnally, while I would appreciate a good tank, I loved yesterday's game. Good to see Leblanc and White doing their thing and makes us believe in a fine future. Great to see Geoffrion scoring, and awfully great to see Markov back in. Yet, in Montreal, we have the luxury to have the best head scout in the business. So tanking doesn't solely mean getting the obvious #1, #2 or #3 pick, it also means having a homerun with a #32 and #64, which we didn't have the luxury in having in a lot of years. 3 picks top 60 or around, last time we had it, it gave us McDo, MaxPac and Subban. But yes, it could also give us Fischer, Maxwell and Carle....I know. Thing is, chances are it will be great.

But then, when I agree with you is that Timmins work is NOT at his best when he's surrounded by management who keeps sending his guys away for nothing. So the end of mediocrity cannot be stopped solely by Timmins work as we are seeing right now. But a lot more changes needs to happen.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:43 AM
BLONG7

Where would we be, if the guy had played in November?

Old
03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
I hate this ****ing team.
As much as the majority of us hate irrational fans like yourself?

The Montreal Canadiens don't tank - never have and never will. All cups have been earned here - none of that pittsburgh-style bull-****

Quote:
Hates on his teams fans.

Accepts mediocrity.
Calling yourself a fan again? Make up your ****ing mind!

Accepts honour, but a laffs fan like you might see a temporary reversal of our fortunes as mediocrity. So, yes. Now - go away, fair weather fan...

Old
03-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Cheering against the team sure shows fanaticism.

If what we saw tonight was an indicator, it means we aren't bad enough for a lottery pick. I don't know why people lose sleep over this. You don't need a lottery pick to get a good player in the draft, and you don't need a lottery pick to build a contender.

Get over it.
Awesome! Glad to see the fans get their voice back. Show the haters to the door. Our fanbase is large enough that we can shake the fleas off once in awhile, and move on.

Great victory, and Markov back really sparked the team. Looking forward to next season. The draft will look after itself.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:05 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
My point is that drafting 1st or drafting 10th isn't the difference. The difference is the GM, the guy whose job it is to build a team.

The Capitals are a team stacked with top end talent, and they can't put it together. The Oilers have drafted great young players and are struggling to put it together.

I can accept that we haven't made any Stanley Cup appearances since 1993. I can accept that it may seem mediocre what this team has achieved (or not) in the past decade. But, I don't see the fixation with losing a few draft positions when you get to see your team win.

Get a good GM, and good things will follow.
Very well said...

Old
03-11-2012, 09:13 AM
icerocket

God ****ing damnit. They should have just sit the dude the entire season. the Habs could have finally gotten a top 3 pick. With Markov, thats impossible.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
As much as the majority of us hate irrational fans like yourself?

The Montreal Canadiens don't tank - never have and never will. All cups have been earned here - none of that pittsburgh-style bull-****

Calling yourself a fan again? Make up your ****ing mind!

Accepts honour, but a laffs fan like you might see a temporary reversal of our fortunes as mediocrity. So, yes. Now - go away, fair weather fan...
Fairweather fan? Lol, yeah right. If I was a fair weather fan I would've been long gone. I always wouldn't be supporting a tank right now.

I've seen this team consistently trade away my favorite players for nothing, to go on to other teams and show the potential I saw in them; only for us to sink down into the bottom of the league because of such mismanagement.

Disdain for the tank all you want but do not refer to me as a fairweather fan. In my eyes, anyone who is ecstatic over wins this late in the season that mean nothing but HURT for your favorite team, is an instant gratification fan who has no idea what it's like to suffer through years of perpetual mediocrity with no glimmer of hope in sight. And what glimmers we have, are Sergei'd, Grabo'd, Ribeiro'd, Latendressed, McDonaghed into the oblivion.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Come on, buddy, have a slight set back.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
You know what, Campoli might have bad hockey sense, but he's a team guy. Always, ALWAYS the first to jump on a guy who whacks a team-mate or bugs the goalie.
I also noticed it. Is it him playing for a contract or is it a part of his game that we did not have the chance to see, regularly, in 2011-12? Maybe it is the Ryan White effect?! I don't know but it is good to see!

-----------------------

When Markov sent Pacioretty on a breakaway with a long outlet pass during the 3rd, I thought to myself "GAWD we missed our General!".

Looking forward to next season, in terms of puck moving skills, I feel very good with Markov, Subban and Kaberle. With Emelin and Gorges, the only missing part is a tough, experienced and minutes eating D; soon to be UFA Barret Jackman would be great.

The usual suspects (Cole, Pacioretty, Gorges, Price, Subban...) were solid/great but I want to offer my honorable mentions to Geoffrion and Bourque. Geoffrion is buying himself a spot for next season (he is a better version of Blunden imo) while Bourque seems to be more implicated – for instance, I saw him dive to break a play in the defensive zone.

Add Gionta, Moen and a guy like Barret Jackman to this team and we would be looking at a top tier team imo.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
In my eyes, anyone who is ecstatic over wins this late in the season that mean nothing but HURT for your favorite team, is an instant gratification fan who has no idea what it's like to suffer through years of perpetual mediocrity with no glimmer of hope in sight. And what glimmers we have, are Sergei'd, Grabo'd, Ribeiro'd, Latendressed, McDonaghed into the oblivion.
I'm ecstatic over the future, and the fact that Markov seemed to be a spark that this team has missed all season long.

As for the players traded away - wtf does that have to do with tanking? So, you want to get an awesome prospect for this team to fritter away?

Look at Max - was he a first round pick? Stop obsessing over these young kids who've proven nothing, and concentrate on the team at hand. No one who actively roots for his team to fail is a fan in my books. Take it for what it is.

All those high end picks are really sorting out the oilers, aren't they? They've built themselves quite the little collection of high end draft picks - all learning to lose quite effectively.

**** THAT!

Old
03-11-2012, 09:46 AM
phoque taupe

I guess we all misunderstood the concept o' a good russian tank

Closed Thread