HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why Stu Bickel and not Tim Erixon?

Old
03-10-2012, 09:27 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I was going to respond but then realized I could look up the answer.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

If Crosby can come back, that tilts the wheel to Pitt.
That is 2 1/2 weeks old, and Pitt, Bos, and Philly all have huge PO experience/success to lean on. This team has essentially zero PO experience/success. We where never the favorites IMO.

If Crosby and Letang come back healthy and play near 100% in the PO's Pitt rolls the East!

Bickel has certainly not been the problem that's for sure!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
That is 2 1/2 weeks old, and Pitt, Bos, and Philly all have huge PO experience/success to lean on. This team has essentially zero PO experience/success. We where never the favorites IMO.

If Crosby and Letang come back healthy and play near 100% in the PO's Pitt rolls the East!

Bickel has certainly not been the problem that's for sure!
Just looked at 5 different gambling sites that are up to date. Four have the Rangers as the favorite from the East. One has Boston. Pitt is about double the price of the Rangers. Philly is further back.

This has nothing to do with who will win. It solely goes to my original point as to who is favored right now.

By the way, I find it very difficult to believe Philly will win anything this year. I would certainly bet Ottawa even up against them.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:51 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Bickel has been ok. Nothing great, but nothing bad.

Eminger and Stralman have absolutely SUCKED. MDZ needs to get back fast, and this team NEEDS either Nash or Parise this offseason.

I didn't expect them to win the cup, but I wanted at the very least a RESPECTABLE 2nd round appearance, and a possible conference finals spot. Now I'm not even so sure about the 2nd round appearance. Thankfully, they're struggling to keep the #1 spot in the conference, and not a playoff spot in general. Pitt will cool off eventually. They might go losing 5-6 straight, but their win streak will snap, and they'll lose games. Rangers have to pick up their game, BIG TIME. What the hell is Tortarella saying to these guys? Because they just have not responded at all.

This team looks absolutely lifeless at times. Going through the motions is not going to win you games.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
TRC
Rookie User

THe coach has proven he has NO originality and cannot make any adjustments, in game or in practice outside of shuffling line combos and giving the unskilled 3rd line too many minutes. He has ridden Hank to a great record but now that the goaltending is human again for this stretch there's NO answer from the coaching staff. Nice power play.

It's simple:

Erixon should have been brought up while MDZ was out to fill the position and see how he matched up to the speed of the game after being in AHL for most of the season ... if he adjusted he should stay, if not should be returned when MDZ is back.

TRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Crease

Do the people begging for call-ups (e.g., Erixon, MZA) actually watch these guys play in Hartford?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Do the people begging for call-ups (e.g., Erixon, MZA) actually watch these guys play in Hartford?
Erixon is solid

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:55 PM
ThirdEye

One thing with Erixon though is he also brings offense to the table. He can play on the PP and his breakout passing is excellent.

I think the only reason he's not with us right now is because Tortorella doesn't think he's ready physically.

I have to say though, 31 points in 40 games in the AHL for a rookie d-man is freaking impressive. Especially since Erixon was never billed as an offensive defenseman

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
One thing with Erixon though is he also brings offense to the table. He can play on the PP and his breakout passing is excellent.

I think the only reason he's not with us right now is because Tortorella doesn't think he's ready physically.

I have to say though, 31 points in 40 games in the AHL for a rookie d-man is freaking impressive. Especially since Erixon was never billed as an offensive defenseman
Never billed as a pure offensive defenseman but he was heralded to play an all-around game (which encompasses offensive contributions).... I know he played the point on the PP for his SEL team....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:15 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I wonder what PITT fans were saying when their team lost 7 straight.
That the season was in the dump, some were considering dumping Bylsma, saying his system just doesn't work anymore, that they should tank and just wait for Crosby back next season. Where they were, almost on the outside of the playoffs looking in with tons of games lost in a row, I don't really blame them.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
I wonder the same thing when those talk about them and other prospects. Or they must read a lot on them...

I'm guessing Bickel over Erixon because of patience when it comes to Erixon developing.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
That the season was in the dump, some were considering dumping Bylsma, saying his system just doesn't work anymore, that they should tank and just wait for Crosby back next season. Where they were, almost on the outside of the playoffs looking in with tons of games lost in a row, I don't really blame them.
Exactly. My point is: if this team can emerge from this slump, they will go into the playoffs knowing how not to play, and confident in themselves. I think that's why all previous cup winners have gone though a slump in March or Feb.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Never billed as a pure offensive defenseman but he was heralded to play an all-around game (which encompasses offensive contributions).... I know he played the point on the PP for his SEL team....
True, but I still didn't expect him to be putting up ~.8 points per game at the professional level. I thought he might finish with around 30 points this season

Old
03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Erixon is now 4th in the AHL for scoring for D men

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 09:02 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Do they realize these guys have no business in the NHL right now?

Bickel is playing great and bring a physical game which fits right in.

Erixon looked totally out of place and looked very soft, which doesn't fit in at all.

MZA....I mean do I need to beat a dead horse?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
This is the time for the Rangers to reach down into the AHL to recall 21-year-old freshman pro Tim Erixon to provide a dose of fresh legs and energy into a lineup that could use both, and for an injection of puck movement from the back end that’s his forte.

As the Rangers open what likely is to a determinative seven-game homestand tonight against the Islanders, the case can also be made to give Erixon an opportunity on the point of the power play, which is on another one of these 1-for-17 stretches that seems to have been played on a big-screen, season-long loop.

Erixon wasn’t quite ready when he opened the season with the Blueshirts, not quite physically prepared for the grind. But he appeared far more comfortable and poised when promoted for a four-game stretch around Christmas and has developed in his game on the smaller North American rink and in the more chaotic AHL these last three months with the Whale.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1oo97aqVv

This is from 2 weeks ago. The Rangers feel Erixon needs some more physical maturing to do.

Quote:
Spoke to a New York Rangers scout who was there to watch Dan DeKeyser, Matt Tennyson and Jordie Johnston, who scored Ferris State’s goal in regulation. Asked if he felt DeKeyser was ready to turn pro, the scout shook his head. “I have a defenseman from Sweden, kid named Erixon, who I absolutely love and he’s just like five out there. Same build. And he’s getting eaten alive in the American League right now.” The scout said that DeKeyser has the brains and the hands, but not yet the leg and upper-body strength to stay afloat during the long war of a professional season.
http://broncohockeyhotstove.com/2012...-friday-night/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Vitto79

4th on pts doesn't sound like he us having trouble on the offensive side of things

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
4th on pts doesn't sound like he us having trouble on the offensive side of things
That is not necessarily an indication, as doesn't Newbury lead with points?

Bickel has done nothing to come out of the line up and has done what is the job of a #6 defenseman. In none of Erixon's NHL games has he looked ready to play the game. And looked over matched physically.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:29 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Do they realize these guys have no business in the NHL right now?

Bickel is playing great and bring a physical game which fits right in.

Erixon looked totally out of place and looked very soft, which doesn't fit in at all.

MZA....I mean do I need to beat a dead horse?
He played what, 10 games? He's since played 40 in the AHL. I think he's earned another shot. If he's still not ready then send him down

Old
03-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
He played what, 10 games? He's since played 40 in the AHL. I think he's earned another shot. If he's still not ready then send him down
Four months, while playing hockey, likely isn't enough to add the strength and conditioning he needs - bulking up is better suited to the offseason. The Rangers currently have more options to play while Erixon develops - Eminger and Woywitka aren't permanent options, but they're guys with a bit of experience to fill holes on the current defense so the Rangers don't need to rush prospects up.

Erixon isn't very strong, he probably couldn't even lift Mats Zuccarello.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Leetch66

Get some baseball medicine...those guys bulk up quick .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:02 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
This is why.

He was ridiculously good against the Isles tonight.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:07 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
McD - Girardi
Staal - Bickel
Erixon - Strålman

Fixed

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:07 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
McD - Girardi
Staal - Bickel
Erixon - Strålman

Fixed
Where is DZ?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Where is DZ?
For as long as DZ is out injured...

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Is it a remote possibility, even with such high praise from management, that Erixon gets to the big club and is not a "torts" player?

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote