HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Schenn-Richards comparison

Old
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
flyersjim73

vCash: 500
The Schenn-Richards comparison

This is my first post on these boards but I'll give it a whirl....

I don't think the Richards-Schenn comparison is way off... but Schenn reminds me a lot more of another former flyer....

Schenn is Simon Gagne...

He skates, stickhandles, sees the ice, and acts just like Gagne. Solid (but not amazing) hockey intelligence, strong on the puck, and just really really smooth with everything he does (both handling the puck and skating).

Richards is never what I would consider "smooth," he was kind of choppy, his hockey intelligence outweighed his flat out talent and made it work, and his defense was borderline great.

Schenn (and Gagne of old), is a good defensive player (but not as good as Richards), has good hockey IQ (but not as good as Richards), is a very good stick handler (better than Richards), and a very good skater (at least smoother than Richards). Their shot is about the same. Effort is TBD.

Forget about replacing Richards, I believe the Flyers reacquired a younger (not as good yet but on the same path) Simon Gagne (concussions included).

Thoughts?

flyersjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Kaktus*

Gagne? Schenn is no Gagne.. Simon was finesse goal scorer even in junior. Drafted as a center never had teh size to be one.

Schenn will run you over and even bully you, pick a fight in a blue paint, push you into a goalie. Gagne was never like that, sure he scored goals around blue paint but that was never really his game. Gagne was better finisher and he was faster. Schenn imo is better playmaker and grinder. Maybe better version of Mike Ricci with better hands that may ivolve into bigger version of Mike Richards.

Two different players that are good on D in their own way. No gagne

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-02-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Gagne? Schenn is no Gagne.. Simon was finesse goal scorer even in junior. Drafted as a center never had teh size to be one.

Schenn will run you over and even bully you, pick a fight in a blue paint, push you into a goalie. Gagne was never like that, sure he scored goals around blue paint but that was never really his game. Gagne was better finisher and he was faster. Schenn imo is better playmaker and grinder. Maybe better version of Mike Ricci with better hands that may ivolve into bigger version of Mike Richards.

Two different players that are good on D in their own way. No gagne
Agreed. Hopefully he can turn into a Brind'Amour type.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
lancer247

No, I don't see the Gagne comparison at all. He is more of a physical player then Gagne but not the sniper Ggane was.

I think he is smoother player then Brindy although I have heard both Schenns are work out demons like Rod. Schenn reminds me more of maybe Adam Graves type - even though Graves wasn't a center.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Graves and Brindi..yeah pretty good comparisons for Schenn...I can see now more why Lombardi didn't want to give him up....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

I agree w/ the others i dont see the gagne comparison but Schenn's open ice hit against the Bruins reminded me a lot of Richie but that's really it so far. Hope to see him play like that in the second half cause even though he didn't show up on the score sheet that night that was his best game as a Flyer. All i know is he's still really young and looks like he could be a great player in this league. Hope they don't trade him anytime soon.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I get what you're saying about being a smoother player than Richards, and similar to Gagne in that sense. But they don't play a similar game. Richards and Schenn play a similar game.

Also, Gagne was ridiculously fast when he came into the league.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:38 AM
AaronTrieu

i think read plays like gagne.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
i think read plays like gagne.
I think read looks like gagne

Old
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Agreed. Hopefully he can turn into a Brind'Amour type.
Brindy isn't a bad comparison. If anyone on the Flyers is a Gagne, it's Read.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I get what you're saying about being a smoother player than Richards, and similar to Gagne in that sense. But they don't play a similar game. Richards and Schenn play a similar game.

Also, Gagne was ridiculously fast when he came into the league.
Yes, I agree that the Gagne comparison holds as far as the smoothness goes. Schenn is stronger and hits a lot more, and Gagne had more speed, but there is a resemblance to the way they play.

Let's say Schenn is a nice combination of Richards' grit and two way play, and Gagne's smoothness?

Someone said Read was Gagne, but a few times lately, I've mistaken Read for Giroux on the ice, just by the moves he's making.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Braydon is not the skater that Gagne was. However to me he is a bigger version of Mike and it looks like he is just getting comfortable here in his surroundings. He had a nice January and hopefully he continues to progress. He has all the makings of a true "Flyer" and you have to be excited about his potential.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:37 AM
BillDineen

I just chose this as the last Schenn tread to post this. Are you expecting more of Schenn lately? His physical game has been great IMO, but with 1 point in 11 games now I would like to see a bit more out of him.

He has 3 assists in 39 games and has also spent time on the PP at the point. Do you see him as a first line center still? He looks more like a Wayne Simmonds type winger to me many games. I personally see a lot more potential in Couturier than Schenn.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I just chose this as the last Schenn tread to post this. Are you expecting more of Schenn lately? His physical game has been great IMO, but with 1 point in 11 games now I would like to see a bit more out of him.

He has 3 assists in 39 games and has also spent time on the PP at the point. Do you see him as a first line center still? He looks more like a Wayne Simmonds type winger to me many games. I personally see a lot more potential in Couturier than Schenn.
Why do fans have absolutely no patience what-soever.

I remember people saying that Mike Richards was going to be a 35 point player.

I'm more impressed with Schenn's defensive ability. He's shown some unbelievable defensive plays so far this season. The one on ovechkin springs to mind.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:12 AM
rban*

Way way too early to make any such comparisons. Let the youngster grow and put up numbers before projecting who he'll resemble in the future.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

Yes he still has first line potential, but if anything he'll be a really good 2nd line center. Schenn will be a consistent 25+ goal scorer in this league. I don't disagree with on Couturier, he looks like he can be a special player and a perennial Selke guy.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Couturier over Schenn any time of the day!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:46 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
I'd take both.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
We have both, why on earth do we have to compare them

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:08 PM
stuccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I'd take both.
I'm glad we have both and Read to boot, the future looks bright.

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think read looks like gagne
I thought I was crazy when I first noticed that earlier in the year, but he really does.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We have both, why on earth do we have to compare them
Did you remember the time when we have had: Richards, Carter and Briere?

A lot of people sad we have too many good centers. We donīt need to pay such an amount of money down the middle!

Imagine Giroux at 7,5, Schenn at 5,0 and Couturier at 3,5.....

How do we get a good roster beside the centers? Can we use Couturier only as a 3rd line grind center with a bit of PK time and clutch time at the end of games? Is it enough for him? Do we can limit Schenns time because we also need to play Couturier enough time?

Can we pay that amount of money only for centers.

Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot are nearly 20.0! Thats a lot of money.....

I think about the future not the next season....

Weīre lucky to get Giroux under 8. He is now one of the best Players in the league... Look at the salaries from Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin...... I donīt want to say he is as good as Crosby or Malkin or Ovechkin in the past, but he can be as good as they in the next 2 seasons.

If Schenn is a potential 1st line Center he will get nothing less then 5 or 6 per season, especially because he earns already 3.1....

Couturier shows all abilities to be one of the best defensive Centers in the entire NHL. He also can play Pk and clutch time hockey. When he starts to grow in his body and plays more physical and get better linemates he really will pickup his offensive game. So anything under 3,5 or 4,5 isnīt realistic....

So why do i compare this two rookies??

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I don't think schenn is the sniper gagne was in his prime. I don't see schenn being a 47 goal scorer. He doesnt have the nose for the net gagne has. Schenn is a lot more physical and while gagne is great defensively, schenn has the potential to be a more well rounded player. I see a smoother, faster mike Richards or a less offensively dynamic johnathan Toews.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Reading this thread makes me want to puke... You guys want to **** us for some of our great defensive prospects too? Hickey, Forbort, Deslauriers???

Anyhow, you guys have an amazing team. Although last nights game with Toronto was ***** on all accounts.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Reading this thread makes me want to puke... You guys want to **** us for some of our great defensive prospects too? Hickey, Forbort, Deslauriers???

Anyhow, you guys have an amazing team. Although last nights game with Toronto was ***** on all accounts.
Am I missing something?