HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Pacioretty or Lucic?

Old
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Lebowski

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Lucic is the stronger and better hockey player.
Lucic brings another dimension to the game, which makes him extremely valuable for a team, but he is not a better hockey player than Pacioretty. Not at all.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
JesusBouillon

I'd be fine with either one. I think Pacioretty might be better at creating his own chances with his speed while Lucic is a bit more dependent on having good linemates, but he also has the physical element on his side. Too even to bother arguing either side IMO.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
du5566*

You show me another player in the league that can score 25-30 goals and be as physical as Lucic and I will consider Pacioretty... Until then I take Lucic. 60-70 point scorers are pretty common, players with Lucic's skill set are not. Think you would have a hard time finding a GM in the league to disagree….

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

I'd rather have Lucic. Just because I love the way he plays the game, and there's no other player in the league that brings as much physicality and offence in the same package as Lucic. Pacioretty is great to. Going to be a good goal scorer for a long time.

TheNorthFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Frankie Spankie

If it's 2008-09 Playoff Lucic, there aren't many players I would take over him. Unfortunately that form of him is starting to look more like a fluke to me. When Lucic really throws the body around, he not only physically dominates the other team but more importantly puts a fear into the opposing players every time he touches the ice. That is an incredibly valued asset that almost doesn't exist anymore in the NHL.

If Lucic is dominating physically like that, I'll take him even if Patches is scoring 10 goals more a season. He brings so much energy to his own team and creates a lot of chances when opposing players cough up the puck early in fear of getting hit.

Like I said, the best I personally think I've seen from Lucic so far was the 2008-09 playoff, even if he has scored more goals lately than that year. That has been a while ago though. At this point, I think they're fairly equal and you can't go wrong either way. Lucic will bring more grit to a team with heavier hits while Patches will bring more scoring to a team. I'm sure 95% of Boston fans will say Lucic and 95% of Montreal fans will say Patches, deservedly so from both sides.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:14 AM
MadLuke

What I like from Patches as a Habs fans is his toughness and endurance, he bounce back very fast from serious injury (much more than the average player), he broke a bone a time a think and not 48 hours laters or something like he was yet againts in front of the net.

Probably that Lucic is not frail either (seam to have miss times only in one occasion), but at montreal a player that seam to be able to play year in year out 75+ game like pac mean a lot.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryedog View Post
Stopped reading after you stated players like Lucic were more easy to come by. 3rd 4th line players... what? He was the LEADING GOAL SCORER on the Cup Champs, and he's 1st line winger. Just stop.
I don't know if you stopped reading because of comprehension limitations or because I wasn't saying exactly what you wanted to hear, but I clearly said it's the "grinder" aspects of Lucic's game that are "easiest" to replace. And I fully give credit to the impact that his "overall package" provides.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:49 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
If it's 2008-09 Playoff Lucic, there aren't many players I would take over him. Unfortunately that form of him is starting to look more like a fluke to me. When Lucic really throws the body around, he not only physically dominates the other team but more importantly puts a fear into the opposing players every time he touches the ice. That is an incredibly valued asset that almost doesn't exist anymore in the NHL.

If Lucic is dominating physically like that, I'll take him even if Patches is scoring 10 goals more a season. He brings so much energy to his own team and creates a lot of chances when opposing players cough up the puck early in fear of getting hit.

Like I said, the best I personally think I've seen from Lucic so far was the 2008-09 playoff, even if he has scored more goals lately than that year. That has been a while ago though. At this point, I think they're fairly equal and you can't go wrong either way. Lucic will bring more grit to a team with heavier hits while Patches will bring more scoring to a team. I'm sure 95% of Boston fans will say Lucic and 95% of Montreal fans will say Patches, deservedly so from both sides.
Really? I think Lucic is playing the best hockey of his life right now and it's not really close IMO. He is an absolute force both physically and offensively every single night.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Lucic is a piece of **** but he's a much more valuable hockey player than Pacioretty at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Really? I think Lucic is playing the best hockey of his life right now and it's not really close IMO. He is an absolute force both physically and offensively every single night.
I'm apparently out to blindly criticize Habs players.

Guess I'm not the only one.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:39 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post

Those responses are way more insightful than your nonsensical AINEC crap, get real.

At least it gives people the opportunity to destroy their arguments, because.. you know... there ARE arguments in there, it's not "blindly" criticizing Habs players. Get your head out your ass man.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpallday View Post

Dude, you always voted against Habs`player with AINEC. You hardly provided any arguments at all. Stop, please.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
Yes, he was just as dominant with the puck as he is now during those playoffs, maybe even a little more. I still remember that shift where he skated the entire zone against Carolina in the playoffs with pretty much everybody chasing him deking everybody out and then passes it off to a wide open Marc Savard who had an easy goal.

But more importantly than being about equal with the puck, he was a lot more dominant physically. He still throws the body around a bit but looks like he took a step back in the hits department, particularly after that season with his broken finger and high ankle injury.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

Ten goals or so vs. physicality.

Pacioretty is a more gifted point scorer, probably perennial 35-40, Lucic is far more physical, 30 goals.

Pick your poison.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:49 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post

Pacioretty is a more gifted point scorer, probably perennial 35-40, Lucic is far more physical, 30 goals.

Pick your poison.
Yup this right here...I think with Lucic you have pretty much an every year 60+ point guy that plays on the edge physically. With Pacioretty I'd say you have a 70-80 point player that doesn't shy away physically but it's not something he focuses on as much.

Also Lucic brings a bit of a crazy factor that it's hard to pin a pricetag on. Instilling fear in the opposition is something that every team wants to do.

Of course I homer voted Pacioretty but in reality it's too close to call.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 04:08 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 100
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Can't decide.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post

Pick your poison.
This. Pacioretty is hot the last few games. Against the Flames, he got two goals. Against the Oliers, he got two goals and one assists. Tonight, he got 2 assists against the Canucks. Now, he got 56 points versus 51 for Lucic. By the end of this season, he should be about 10 points ahead of Lucic.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:02 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

Very interesting post.

But can you further explain why you believe that Lucic might be a fluke? Honestly, I'm quite surprised to hear that from anyone these days, much less a Bruins fan. From what I can tell, you believe that Lucic's effective on the ice stems from his physicality (valid point). But he's always seemed to me almost underrated as an offensive player.
Does he still score goals without dominating his opponents physically?

Last edited by SB164: 03-11-2012 at 05:25 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Very interesting post.

But can you further explain why you believe that Lucic might be a fluke? Honestly, I'm quite surprised to hear that from anyone these days, much less a Bruins fan. From what I can tell, you believe that Lucic's effective on the ice stems from his physicality (valid point). But he's always seemed to me almost underrated as an offensive player.
Does he still score goals without dominating his opponents physically?
I wouldn't necessarily say he is a fluke, I would say that playoff was a fluke for him. He's still a very effective player but, at least to me, he looks like he changed styles. Before he was physicality first and now he's scoring first. I know at first thought, you'd think that's a change for the better but I'm not so sure.

That year is still his best playoffs to date. His offensive production did go up in the regular season but dipped in the playoffs. It's not necessarily his personal production though. In the 2008-09 playoffs, he was throwing so many huge hits that players on opposing teams quickly got rid of the puck with absolutely no Bruins within 10 feet of them for fear of getting crushed by Lucic. It's still something I am yet to see since that year. To be so physically dominant that simply your presence on the ice makes the opposing players so scared that they cough the puck up without you anywhere near them is far more valuable to me than scoring 5-10 more goals a season.

Not to mention, he was still a solid player with the puck in those playoffs. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I remember that goal in the Carolina series by Savard that really made me go . Found a YouTube video, choppy quality but you'll get the idea:

He was just so dominant in that whole playoff that he was easily (at least IMO) Boston's most valuable forward. Don't get me wrong, he still is a really good player, but I don't remember ever seeing him as dominant as he was in those playoffs.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
This. Pacioretty is hot the last few games. Against the Flames, he got two goals. Against the Oliers, he got two goals and one assists. Tonight, he got 2 assists against the Canucks. Now, he got 56 points versus 51 for Lucic. By the end of this season, he should be about 10 points ahead of Lucic.
Lucic is hot also, averaging a ppg in his last 7....

Old
03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
You show me another player in the league that can score 25-30 goals and be as physical as Lucic and I will consider Pacioretty...
Clarkson
Evander Kane

I still pick Lucic but it's not a runaway.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Clarkson
Evander Kane
They don't glove punch people after the whistle so they're not tough, sorry.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:04 PM
du5566*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Clarkson
Evander Kane

I still pick Lucic but it's not a runaway.
I stand by my statement....