HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Craig71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Where would we be, if the guy had played in November?
We would still have Martin and Cammalleri and Gill and Kostitsyn......At least this way although unintended the Habs are headed in a new direction of size and grit and towards a top 5 pick, the young guys had a painful bumpy but great years experience under their belt and the benefit of this is starting to show. I hope he stays healthy and we can move forward with him and a few new guys and we are headed back to the playoffs, where anything is possible.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:10 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I'm ecstatic over the future, and the fact that Markov seemed to be a spark that this team has missed all season long.

As for the players traded away - wtf does that have to do with tanking? So, you want to get an awesome prospect for this team to fritter away?

Look at Max - was he a first round pick? Stop obsessing over these young kids who've proven nothing, and concentrate on the team at hand. No one who actively roots for his team to fail is a fan in my books. Take it for what it is.

All those high end picks are really sorting out the oilers, aren't they? They've built themselves quite the little collection of high end draft picks - all learning to lose quite effectively.

**** THAT!
You're excited over the future and one game?

I see a win against a Vancouver team that wasn't particularly good and Luongo who has turned into a laughable goaltender. I see a team that did have an emotional lift playing in front of Carey's friends and family, and to have Markov back.

But the team has glaring weaknesses. Has glaring depth issues even at the prospect level and is still missing elite talent up front.

Edmonton has a promising future. Hall, Eberle and Nugent Hopkins are three players who right now are likely 70 point players, with Hall and Hopkins having upsides that exceed that. We have no body right now or in the system that looks to be anything more than a 60 point player and 70 at a ceiling.

We do not have a dynamic game breaking talent anywhere in the system, or on the team. We still don't have an identity as a team. The people in charge are clueless at best.

This is an insane work in progress and the way to start off on the right foot is to enter the fold with a potential elite young player. A offensive building block to go with Subban and Price in the back-end.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Andy

Good win. I wanna see more.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:20 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Good win. I wanna see more.
Same here.

Next season.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Leo Getz

Sad I missed it, but glad to see a win against a top team! All Hail Markov.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Was great watching Markov play last night, man, it's been way too long

I thought his 1st period was quiet an uneventful, his 2nd period was a struggle but his 3rd period was vintage Markov (except for the obvious lack of mobility). You could see the ability he has to control the game when he's on the ice, he just has an uncanny ability to pull all the right strings when out there.

I know the 'tankers' won't be happy...but for one night...was it ever good to see #79 out there.

It's going to take me a long time to not cringe every time to goes back to retrieve the puck though

Old
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
la25ecoupe

What is the top 6 list?

Old
03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Markov looked a little slow in his first game back. I didn't notice him much but he made an amazing pass out to MaxPac. The pass to Subban was nice but it was 5 on 3, I'm sure they'll be good together but I didn't see too much of it last night. Should be interesting to watch him over the next few weeks as he improves.

We're starting to gain ground on some teams though. As much as I hate watching us lose, that is not good. After the season we've had, drafting outside the top 5 would absolutely suck.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
sampollock

yup lose lose lose,

draft pick needed asap

Old
03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Price seems to play much better after rest. He went on a bit of a run after the all star break too. Perhaps management might catch on.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Was great watching Markov play last night, man, it's been way too long

I thought his 1st period was quiet an uneventful, his 2nd period was a struggle but his 3rd period was vintage Markov (except for the obvious lack of mobility). You could see the ability he has to control the game when he's on the ice, he just has an uncanny ability to pull all the right strings when out there.

I know the 'tankers' won't be happy...but for one night...was it ever good to see #79 out there.

It's going to take me a long time to not cringe every time to goes back to retrieve the puck though
I think it was as much a lack of game shape and timing than actual mobility. He seemed to move well just get caught flat footed a lot. Vancouver is a pretty fast and skilled team.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:41 PM
la25ecoupe

There is no way we lose more games then Islanders from now til the end. We might draft at 4th.

Old
03-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
All those high end picks are really sorting out the oilers, aren't they? They've built themselves quite the little collection of high end draft picks - all learning to lose quite effectively.
Except that doesn't make any sense. Just because you're clueless about another team's situation doesn't make your opinion hold any water.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Personally, I have been converted to the lose-as-many-as-possible crowd.

The top 5 pick is at serious risk.

Markov-Subban-Pacs-Cole-DD on the PP is amongst the BEST in the league.

Here is to hoping Timmins can find a Kopitar, Parise, Getzlaf, Datsuk or Zetterberg... awesome players picked well outside the top 8

Old
03-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

I see a win against a Vancouver team that wasn't particularly good and Luongo who has turned into a laughable goaltender. I see a team that did have an emotional lift playing in front of Carey's friends and family, and to have Markov back.

But the team has glaring weaknesses. Has glaring depth issues even at the prospect level and is still missing elite talent up front.

Edmonton has a promising future. Hall, Eberle and Nugent Hopkins are three players who right now are likely 70 point players, with Hall and Hopkins having upsides that exceed that. We have no body right now or in the system that looks to be anything more than a 60 point player and 70 at a ceiling.

We do not have a dynamic game breaking talent anywhere in the system, or on the team. We still don't have an identity as a team. The people in charge are clueless at best.

This is an insane work in progress and the way to start off on the right foot is to enter the fold with a potential elite young player. A offensive building block to go with Subban and Price in the back-end.
Oilers are not better off. They have nothing remotly close to Price or Subban and have as much work as we do.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Except that doesn't make any sense. Just because you're clueless about another team's situation doesn't make your opinion hold any water.
Makes perfect sense, if you give your head a shake.

Clueless? Great term - applies to your 'insight' here....

All of these fairweather fans crying for a draft pick to save us? They expect a 18-19 year old kid to come in and save this franchise?

Clueless would apply to a fair portion of our own fanbase, for sure.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Just to make sure you know where I stand - I'm excited over ANY win. As. Should. You.

How many years has Edmonton been in the cellar? When to stop tanking, in other words How much can you teach a youngster about losing, before that's all he knows?

You made one good point - the people currently in charge ARE clueless, and I hope they get rid of them ASAP before they damage the team in a bid to save their own *****...

Old
03-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think it was as much a lack of game shape and timing than actual mobility. He seemed to move well just get caught flat footed a lot. Vancouver is a pretty fast and skilled team.
I felt the same way. He did show he had no rust on the PP. when he was able to move the puck around very well.

He'll be showing more as the games go by at 5on5.

I am wondering if he should play in the WC or not. But I am leaning towards he should. Because his knee needs to be tested against high end competition for a longer time frame. Just so we can know where we stand by draft day.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

All of these fairweather fans crying for a draft pick to save us? They expect a 18-19 year old kid to come in and save this franchise?

Well see, that's the part where you're out to lunch. Expecting teenagers to come in and carry a team in the NHL won't happen unless you have Crosby amongst them.

But saying Edmonton is in a bad spot regardless of top picks is ignorant. It's because their 3 young stars are the only bright spots that the team is bad. Building a pile of **** and throwing top end talent on it won't turn it into a perennial contender, not while those players are in their rookie or sophomore seasons.

Quote:
How many years has Edmonton been in the cellar? When to stop tanking, in other words How much can you teach a youngster about losing, before that's all he knows?
2 years. 2010 is the first time they drafted top 5 since 1994. 07 gave them a good pick (6th), but then they tried to patch it up by giving Penner that ridiculous deal and gave their first rounder to Anaheim (which ended up being Tyler Myers) and then had the 10th in 2009.

But hey, you're the one who has a clue here, right?

Old
03-11-2012, 01:29 PM
WeeBey

Quote:

He won't save us when he's 18-19. But when he's 22-23, he could be one heck of a player.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Well see, that's the part where you're out to lunch. Expecting teenagers to come in and carry a team in the NHL won't happen unless you have Crosby amongst them.

But saying Edmonton is in a bad spot regardless of top picks is ignorant. It's because their 3 young stars are the only bright spots that the team is bad. Building a pile of **** and throwing top end talent on it won't turn it into a perennial contender, not while those players are in their rookie or sophomore seasons.

2 years. 2010 is the first time they drafted top 5 since 1994. 07 gave them a good pick (6th), but then they tried to patch it up by giving Penner that ridiculous deal and gave their first rounder to Anaheim (which ended up being Tyler Myers) and then had the 10th in 2009.

But hey, you're the one who has a clue here, right?
They picked top 10 twice in three years before that. They've been near the bottom for a long time.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
couris

why does people keep comparing to edmonton?

Anyways, if we dont finish top3 in the standings(reversed), I want Molson out.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
AllanMTL46

I got a simple question for you guys (just didn't want to start a new thread for that):

Would you resign Brad Staubitz for next year and if so at what price?

I say yes. He's the guy our team needs. Probably not for 82 games, but when we would need him, he'd be there. The guy's a real tough guy.

Old
03-11-2012, 01:57 PM
malton

Quote:
I'm ecstatic over the future, and the fact that Markov seemed to be a spark that this team has missed all season long.

As for the players traded away - wtf does that have to do with tanking? So, you want to get an awesome prospect for this team to fritter away?

Look at Max - was he a first round pick? Stop obsessing over these young kids who've proven nothing, and concentrate on the team at hand. No one who actively roots for his team to fail is a fan in my books. Take it for what it is.

**** THAT!
Yes he was

Old
03-11-2012, 01:58 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
I got a simple question for you guys (just didn't want to start a new thread for that):

Would you resign Brad Staubitz for next year and if so at what price?

I say yes. He's the guy our team needs. Probably not for 82 games, but when we would need him, he'd be there. The guy's a real tough guy.
Yes Staubitz is worth resigning. The team needs to realize that you need tough guys who can protect their team mates. All past Hab Stanley Cup teams had tough guys for that very reason. The only way you don't resign him is if you find a more talented player who can also fight. He would not cost much and he is a good skater.

Closed Thread