HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller hockey question (outdoor vs indoor wheels)

Old
03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
on a wire

vCash: 500
Roller hockey question (outdoor vs indoor wheels)

Hey everyone. I've played ice hockey most of my life but haven't really played much roller hockey aside from pick up games outside every now and then. Some friends asked me to join their indoor roller hockey team (rec league) this spring, and I'm always up for some hockey so I agreed.

I splurged on a pair of Reebok 5k skates so i could have something that would last a long time, but I've got a question about the wheels. When I bought the skates, the guy at the shop said they where "indoor" wheels and not to use them outdoors because it would wreck them. He was pretty persistent about this. If I go skate around on a basketball court or another smooth surface outside is it really going to mess up the wheels? I'd like to go goof around before my first game on Tuesday but I don't want to ruin these skates that I just bought.

If anybody has an answer then that would be awesome. Also, if anybody has some general advice for what I should expect transitioning from ice to roller hockey then that would be great, too. Thanks!

on a wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
vapor11

Indoor wheels are softer and will wear out alot quicker outdoors..

More info here..

http://www.hockeygiant.com/hockey-gi...ey-wheels.html

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
izzy3

Just cruisin outside will not hurt your wheels, but if you do some aggressive turns the indoor wheels will chip and fall to pieces on any kind of outside surface.

Apart from stopping transitioning to roller from ice is easy, as the game is much slower. Stopping is hard to learn on roller and kinda wierd the first time as you come from ice to roller even after years. Also the puck is not sliding as easily so you have to adjust a little bit. Also if you want to go back to ice as well I'd say build a rocker into your wheel setup (1st and 4th wheels 1 size smaller), this will help with the transition back to ice.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Torquenstein

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Just cruisin outside will not hurt your wheels, but if you do some aggressive turns the indoor wheels will chip and fall to pieces on any kind of outside surface.

Apart from stopping transitioning to roller from ice is easy, as the game is much slower. Stopping is hard to learn on roller and kinda wierd the first time as you come from ice to roller even after years. Also the puck is not sliding as easily so you have to adjust a little bit. Also if you want to go back to ice as well I'd say build a rocker into your wheel setup (1st and 4th wheels 1 size smaller), this will help with the transition back to ice.
That. But I use a hi-lo setup where the 3rd and 4th wheel are 80mm and the 1st and 2nd wheel are 76mm in diameter

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote