HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nick Sorkin - U of New Hampshire, NCAA (2009 undrafted)

Old
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Torgo

vCash: 500
LW Nick Sorkin - U of New Hampshire, NCAA (2009 undrafted)

128. Nick Sorkin, Team Maryland AAA Midget.

I was looking through the final CSB rankings and found this guy. It jumped out at me because you rarely hear anyone below tier two Jr. A getting scouted or drafted in the NHL.

There was one player that was drafted from Jr. B in the first round but that was the first I had heard of someone drafted from that level. So when I find a guy that's been scouted on a AAA midget team I get curious.

Torgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
hfboardsuser

It's not that uncommon. Trevor Nill was taken 190th overall in 2007 from Detroit Compuware.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Hollywood Bad Boy

I saw his team play Shattuck St. Mary's at the U18's where Shattuck won on a goal with 41 seconds left. Shattuck has Erik Haula and Alexander Fahlstrom who will both get drafted and Sorkin competed with both these players. I believe he is headed to New Hampshire where he will get a chance to continue to develop.

Hollywood Bad Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM
orangeandblack

Theres actually 3 players from the Atlantic Hockey League Midget U18s ranked.

Alex Velischek from NJ Colonials in the low 60s.

Sorkin from Team Maryland in the 100s.

Eric Knodel from Phila Jr Flyers in the 200s.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Scott Winkler was selected out of Russell Stover last year as well.

Sorkin will play in the EJHL next season and then head on to UNH. Like many his age he needs to bulk up but he's got a good frame to build off of and nice package of all-around skills.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
He's a talented kid, but he's very weak physically right now. I was impressed with him at the Gold Medal Classic in Madison Wi.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
i love staal

Sorkin has great hands and vision combined wiht a great and quick shot. His stride is long and fluid. He has the hegiht at about 6 2, but his weight at 165 is a concern. He needs to hit the gym hard. I think that he can add about 15 pounds before the next season. He has recently acquired his height as he was about 5 9 two years ago. A talented athlete, who may never make the pros but is still a very intriguing prospect. His defensvie zone work is solid and his height disrupts many plays. Like many he needs to work on his strength and also needs to play against higher competition. He is playing in the EJHL next year as someone said here.

i love staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 04:12 PM
wings5

From NHL.com:

Quote:
Waterloo -- Nick Sorkin: The University of New Hampshire-bound forward has exceptional hands and vision, with a quick shot to boot.

The only knock at this stage is his physicality, but that will come with experience in the USHL this season under the tutelage of coach P.K. O'Handley. During the USHL Fall Classic in September, Sorkin appeared to pay attention to detail -- working hard in his own end. At 6-2 1/2 and 166 pounds, he's also an intimidating player to take one-on-one.

The Rockville, Md. native and recent graduate of Bullis School in Potomac, Md., was invited to participate in the Capitals' development camp over the summer. As a senior at Bullis, he scored 45 points in 13 games. He also completed his third season with Team Maryland's AAA midget Under-18 team in 2008-09, where he had 30 goals and 101 points in 50 games.

This season, Sorkin has 2 goals and 3 points in three games. He'll spend two seasons with Waterloo before entering UNH in the fall of 2011.

"I'm excited (to be in Waterloo)," Sorkin said. "It's not the most popular place but I'm excited to be in a good league, and I feel like I'll get a lot better."

"If Nick Sorkin keeps developing, he'll be a pro," said O'Handley. "He's big with good hands and moves well for a big guy. He's still trying to grasp the feet movement and how to be hard, but he has an NHL shot. I think when he figures out how hard he needs to play, how hard he can play and his feet -- it's a pretty nice package."

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Nick Sorkin

Anyone know anything about this kid? Why wasn't he drafted? He's made a good jump to PPG status for UNH this season. Hes a big bodied forward and in the Boston U v UNH game yesterday, his puck skill seemed to be a notch above a lot of the guys on the ice.

Could he potentially get a contract or at least a tryout for an NHL club this summer?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Wouldn't this be more fit for the prospect section? Anyways, don't know much about him, so I can't really reply.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:06 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Wouldn't this be more fit for the prospect section? Anyways, don't know much about him, so I can't really reply.
I mean, my reasoning was that he's not really a prospect since he doesn't belong to a team at this point and he would technically be a free agent.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I mean, my reasoning was that he's not really a prospect since he doesn't belong to a team at this point and he would technically be a free agent.
He is a prospect since he is not an NHLer. There is a stickied thread at the top listing some of the best UFA NCAA prospects (But of course completely ok to have a thread for this guy). It has been moved to prospects.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 04:09 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
He is a prospect since he is not an NHLer. There is a stickied thread at the top listing some of the best UFA NCAA prospects (But of course completely ok to have a thread for this guy). It has been moved to prospects.
Fair enough, thanks.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Oilers Chick
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Anyone know anything about this kid? Why wasn't he drafted? He's made a good jump to PPG status for UNH this season. Hes a big bodied forward and in the Boston U v UNH game yesterday, his puck skill seemed to be a notch above a lot of the guys on the ice.

Could he potentially get a contract or at least a tryout for an NHL club this summer?
Well he's no longer draft eligible, so if any team wants him, it would be as a free agent.

My guess is that the reason he wasn't taken in the draft earlier is because his development at UNH has progressed slower than I think most scouts liked. From what I understand, Nick looked like a good candidate for the NHL draft, but hasn't made any great strides in his development prior to late last season.

Having said all of this, if Nick continues progressing in his development as he has this season, he could potentially get a closer look next season. I just don't see any NHL team making him an offer after this season, but then again, anything is possible.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 03:11 PM
ChoseLa

Got a PTO with the Habs AHL team, anybody saw him play? Can give a report?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote