HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

3/9/12 "Angry Cats" - Panthers VS Penguins

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2012, 08:16 PM
  #376
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,990
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Or mall cop

JonathanHuberdoh is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 08:42 PM
  #377
jakethesnake23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney, OZ
Country: Australia
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerPanther View Post
I agree and feel he is a bust plus he is not a Tallon guy. They should have sent him to the Islanders who need defenseman or even Edmonton. Yeah Ellerby is a good skater but honestly where else does he have value. I have watched every game this season and I don't see it. Strachan makes him expendable even if Garrison isn't resigned. Robak and Petrovic aren't far off and they should eventually be given a chance. It really amazes me with all the nay sayers talking about Guds. What were you expecting from a 19 year old kid? I think all things considered he's been fine. Sure he's made his share of mistakes but was it going to be better to have him play in juniors again this season. He has improved and has much more confidence then what he had earlier in the year. Kind of a moot point as Keaton has no future on this team.
I don't understand why saying "Player A" has played well, means people have been "naysaying" Guds I don't think anyone here would argue that Guds has improved greatly throughout the year and deserves a place on the team.

I think Ellerby suffers from the same disease that Clemmerson suffers from. Clemmerson is holding up Markstrom from joining the Panthers. Therefore, everyone looks for reasons why to hate on him. Even though he statistically has been a very good player for us this year, he can never be liked by some fans because of Markstrom. Maybe objectiveness goes out the window with Ellerby because Guds is the golden boy on defense.

Praying that Jovo retires, if not then yes I agree then next logical player that would have to move would be Ellerby, which is a shame because someone will be getting a good, young and improving player. Id rather Strachan wasnt on a 1 way deal. Maybe Garry won't be back?

jakethesnake23 is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
  #378
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
What? I don't, and most I know, dislike Clemmensen at times because of Markstrom, has nothing to do with the guy. I wanted Markstrom to stay up at the start of the season because he was playing well, but I believe they made the right decision in sending him down. He tends to get "hated on" because he can let weak ones go by him, and didn't really look as strong previous seasons like he can now.

How I see Ellerby has more to do with age than anything. Keaton is 23, has played pro hockey longer than Erik, who's 19 and in his first pro year. I'd love to see Ellerby stick and be a solid d-man here, and I've liked him a lot at times this season. He started a bit slow, but I guess I'm just disconnected from him because I believe he's on his way out.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 09:52 PM
  #379
WhalerPanther
Registered User
 
WhalerPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to WhalerPanther
Maybe I have come across as being hard on Ellerby as well but my basis is on where the Panthers drafted him and how a few years have gone by and I'm not seeing the value with the pick. I felt the team should have tried to move him at the deadline and get something for him as I wouldn't want to lose him for nothing. In fairness Ellerby hasn't been as bad as Jovo but I'm not sure where the Clemmer comparison comes into play. I think Clemmer has served his purpose well this season and despite his horrific ability to play the puck and glaring five hole, has more then adequately filled his role on this team this year. Sending Markstrom to San Antonio was smart as said however I hope people realize that Marky hasn't exacted performed lights out in the AHL and might not even be the starter on the team should the Rampage make the playoffs considering how well DGM has played this season (Top 5 in just about every goalie stat). Nice problem to have down there though as Marky is finally healthy.

WhalerPanther is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 11:15 PM
  #380
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
ellerby was never expected to make an impact right away. based on his profile and what folks around here who follow prospects closely were saying, he was expected to require some time to develop (correct me if i'm wrong, folks - this is my recollection).

and ellerby hasn't been bad, period! he's been good. that's the whole damn point.

zeroG is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 11:20 PM
  #381
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ellerby was never expected to make an impact right away. based on his profile and what folks around here who follow prospects closely were saying, he was expected to require some time to develop (correct me if i'm wrong, folks - this is my recollection).

and ellerby hasn't been bad, period! he's been good. that's the whole damn point.
Currently, he is a tenth overall pick who is teetering between being a bottom pairing defensemen and a healthy scratch.

Good is relative in this case.

PanthersHockey1 is offline  
Old
03-10-2012, 11:46 PM
  #382
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ellerby was never expected to make an impact right away. based on his profile and what folks around here who follow prospects closely were saying, he was expected to require some time to develop (correct me if i'm wrong, folks - this is my recollection).

and ellerby hasn't been bad, period! he's been good. that's the whole damn point.
You're saying what exactly?

Laus723 is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
  #383
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ellerby was never expected to make an impact right away. based on his profile and what folks around here who follow prospects closely were saying, he was expected to require some time to develop (correct me if i'm wrong, folks - this is my recollection).

and ellerby hasn't been bad, period! he's been good. that's the whole damn point.
As much as people have underrated him at times, you sure have overrated his play this season.

He's not the best anything on this team, as you make him out to be.

If he was playing as well as you say, he wouldn't be getting scratched for the likes of Gudbranson and Strachan.

If he was the very good PMD you make him out to be (to the point you've even put him in the same sentence with Soupy and Kulikov...), he'd have more than 5 points on the season.

He has gotten better from his past couple years when he was attrocious, but fact is, he's just a bottom-pairing D-man at this point.

Erick is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
  #384
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Unless Jovo retires, that leaves us with the same situation we've had this season. Which is fine by me, just not sure how fine it'll be for him.
Jovo's retirement, is he willing to part with $12.5 millions?
Send him to San Antonio, can they (Panthers) afford to do it?
Buy him out, can they afford to do it?
Will some other GM make a favor for Tallon?

JOL

jol is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 01:27 PM
  #385
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
You're saying what exactly?
the poster said ellerby "hasn't been as bad as jovo". he hasn't been bad, he's been good. what's difficult to understand about that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
As much as people have underrated him at times, you sure have overrated his play this season.

He's not the best anything on this team, as you make him out to be.

If he was playing as well as you say, he wouldn't be getting scratched for the likes of Gudbranson and Strachan.

If he was the very good PMD you make him out to be (to the point you've even put him in the same sentence with Soupy and Kulikov...), he'd have more than 5 points on the season.

He has gotten better from his past couple years when he was attrocious, but fact is, he's just a bottom-pairing D-man at this point.
i specifically said he wasn't a game changer right now. he doesn't have the point those guys for a variety of reasons; he certainly doesn't have the type of offensive game campbell or kuli has yet and it's not close but he also hasn't gotten much in terms of power play time, which helps those guys quite a bit.

as far as scratches are concerned, he's still young and making mistakes and dineen has the ability to sit guys when they have an off night or don't seem to have the energy he wants. what i see when he's in there and playing well is that dineen and murphy have a lot of confidence in him. he's playing in just about every situation, including late in tight games.

again, not saying he's much more than what he is now which is borderline 2nd/3rd pairing Dman but his trajectory i think suggests he has the potential to be a very solid and productive 2nd pairing offensive Dman.

zeroG is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
  #386
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
and by the way, i never said he was the best PMD. i said his first pass under pressure has been better than anyone else. and i stand by that. campbell coughs the puck up routinely when trying to pass in the face of a well structured forecheck. he can, otoh, usually skate around just about everybody on the ice, which ellerby cannot do.

zeroG is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 01:50 PM
  #387
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the poster said ellerby "hasn't been as bad as jovo". he hasn't been bad, he's been good. what's difficult to understand about that comment.
Seeing as how you didn't quote anything about Jovo, then you said something about a 'whole damn point...' still not sure what the point is. I asked you to elaborate, if the point is that he's not as bad as Jovo, I agree. If you're trying to say more...

Laus723 is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
  #388
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Seeing as how you didn't quote anything about Jovo, then you said something about a 'whole damn point...' still not sure what the point is. I asked you to elaborate, if the point is that he's not as bad as Jovo, I agree. If you're trying to say more...
you are correct. sorry. i was responding to the post above. didn't quote because i had just quoted a large chunk from the same poster and thought context was established. my bad.

i was rebutting the point by saying he's actually been pretty good, excelling in a few areas where others have struggled mightily.

zeroG is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
  #389
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
and by the way, i never said he was the best PMD. i said his first pass under pressure has been better than anyone else. and i stand by that. campbell coughs the puck up routinely when trying to pass in the face of a well structured forecheck. he can, otoh, usually skate around just about everybody on the ice, which ellerby cannot do.
I don't think that's true either, but fair enough.

Erick is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 02:30 PM
  #390
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 500
Ellerby is one of the worst puck handlers on this team. His outlet passes are better than Guds but that's the only player on D who is better than with respect to passing. He's a bottom pairing d-man who lacks consistency. He's a second pairing potential guy at best.

RainingRats is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 02:57 PM
  #391
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you are correct. sorry. i was responding to the post above. didn't quote because i had just quoted a large chunk from the same poster and thought context was established. my bad.

i was rebutting the point by saying he's actually been pretty good, excelling in a few areas where others have struggled mightily.
No worries, I didn't go back a page or so cause there was other posts between yours. I don't really agree with your assessment of him, but I try to pull myself out of talks about him. I'm just not attached, so I view him through the lens others won't. If he stays around, that's cool. I just don't think he's better than our top 6, which I put Erik into. Although, I think I'd rather have him there than Jovo, but we all know that's not happening.

Laus723 is offline  
Old
03-11-2012, 03:41 PM
  #392
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Ellerby is one of the worst puck handlers on this team. His outlet passes are better than Guds but that's the only player on D who is better than with respect to passing. He's a bottom pairing d-man who lacks consistency. He's a second pairing potential guy at best.
agree to disagree.

zeroG is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.