HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you want Roy as the new head coach?

View Poll Results: IF the Habs land Grigorenko, would you wan Roy as the new head coach?
Yes 84 62.22%
No 51 37.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
Roy has been a winner at everything he has touched in hockey. Everything. That was always the Montreal Canadiens MO, to bring back the winners and let them teach the new Canadiens how to win. Roy has proven he can coach AND manage with the best. I think he deserves a shot at coaching in Montreal.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
If he goes through Hamilton for a season, I have no issue with Roy. Otherwise, no thanks.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He's one of the best GM in the Q, possible the most cerebral. And all his "eruptions" as coach are pretty well calculated. I think your lack of knowledge in this matter is outstanding.
I appreciate the comment regarding my knowledge. It might actually bother me if it didn't come from such a consistently ignorant poster. As far as all his eruptions being calculated, how calculated was it when he cost the Avs a possible Stanley Cup when he tried to hotdog a save in a must win game versus rival Red Wings only to put it in his own net? That was vintage ego getting in the way of what's best for the team. I'm surprised one of his teammates didn't kill him for such selfishness at such an immense cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
We don't all have to like Patrick Roy as a person...but we should remember this...

1. His talent and passion permmitted the Habs to win in 86 & 93...without his
off the chart competitiveness...we don't win the 23rd and 24th Stanley Cup.
He also stunk in several playoffs. He won us the Cup in 1986 but we might have gone to the Finals again in 1987 if we didn't have to replace him with Brian Hayward in most playoff games because St Patrick was so unreliable. He also stunk in the 1989 finals versus Calgary. I'll never forget him flinching everytime Al McInnis fired one towards his net. He stunk in playoffs from 1990-1992 also and I remember Bruins GM Harry Sinden making fun of his play in the playoffs. Of course he was amazing in 1993 and was key in us winning the Cup but never won another playoff series for us. He played well in 1994 even though we didn't get out of the 1st round in another loss to Boston....also played after having his appendix removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Roy has been a winner at everything he has touched in hockey. Everything.
Ever look at his record when he played for Granby in the Q? I know the team stunk and it doesn't mean a thing in terms of his coaching but you did emphasize "Everything".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Oh man, to think ANYONE would answer yes to this question is just sad.
Agreed. It's funny that the ones wanting to give him the keys to the organization are the children of those who wanted him guillotined in 1995.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Roy for head coach
Damphousse as GM

2 wife beaters, maybe the team will get tougher, they can both fight.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Roy for head coach
Damphousse as GM

2 wife beaters, maybe the team will get tougher, they can both fight.

I've seen Mike Vernon handle Roy and I don't think I've ever seen Vinny in a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a collective 0 and 2 versus their wives.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I appreciate the comment regarding my knowledge. It might actually bother me if it didn't come from such a consistently ignorant poster. As far as all his eruptions being calculated, how calculated was it when he cost the Avs a possible Stanley Cup when he tried to hotdog a save in a must win game versus rival Red Wings only to put it in his own net? That was vintage ego getting in the way of what's best for the team. I'm surprised one of his teammates didn't kill him for such selfishness at such an immense cost.

He also stunk in several playoffs. He won us the Cup in 1986 but we might have gone to the Finals again in 1987 if we didn't have to replace him with Brian Hayward in most playoff games because St Patrick was so unreliable. He also stunk in the 1989 finals versus Calgary. I'll never forget him flinching everytime Al McInnis fired one towards his net. He stunk in playoffs from 1990-1992 also and I remember Bruins GM Harry Sinden making fun of his play in the playoffs. Of course he was amazing in 1993 and was key in us winning the Cup but never won another playoff series for us. He played well in 1994 even though we didn't get out of the 1st round in another loss to Boston....also played after having his appendix removed.

Ever look at his record when he played for Granby in the Q? I know the team stunk and it doesn't mean a thing in terms of his coaching but you did emphasize "Everything".

Agreed. It's funny that the ones wanting to give him the keys to the organization are the children of those who wanted him guillotined in 1995.
Take issue with a few things. Roy was 13-6 in 1988-89 playoffs with a GAA of 2.09 and a save percentage of .920! Furthermore here is the breakdown of the series.
Sun, May 14 Montreal 2 Calgary 3
Wed, May 17 Montreal 4 Calgary 2
Fri, May 19 Calgary 3 Montreal 4 2OT
Sun, May 21 Calgary 4 Montreal 2
Tue, May 23 Montreal 2 Calgary 3
Thu, May 25 Calgary 4 Montreal 2

About as close a series as you can hope to get, clearly Roy didn't suck in that series.

I'll give you the 1990-1992 point but to be fair the Habs were just an average team at that point.

I never wanted his head in 1995. Roy was a thoroughbred and Tremblay was using him poorly to say the least. You don't embarrass a guy like Roy for a personal vendetta. Especially since Tremblay may have been the worst coach in team history.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Take issue with a few things. Roy was 13-6 in 1988-89 playoffs with a GAA of 2.09 and a save percentage of .920! Furthermore here is the breakdown of the series.
Sun, May 14 Montreal 2 Calgary 3
Wed, May 17 Montreal 4 Calgary 2
Fri, May 19 Calgary 3 Montreal 4 2OT
Sun, May 21 Calgary 4 Montreal 2
Tue, May 23 Montreal 2 Calgary 3
Thu, May 25 Calgary 4 Montreal 2

About as close a series as you can hope to get, clearly Roy didn't suck in that series.

I'll give you the 1990-1992 point but to be fair the Habs were just an average team at that point.

I never wanted his head in 1995. Roy was a thoroughbred and Tremblay was using him poorly to say the least. You don't embarrass a guy like Roy for a personal vendetta. Especially since Tremblay may have been the worst coach in team history.
Nice of you to flash a bunch of scores from 1989 Final. Did you think the Stanley Cup Finals between two teams with the best defenses in the game were going to be full of 8-7 shootouts? Did you watch the 1989 Stanley Cup Finals? Were you old enough or even alive at the time? Because I sure as hell was....I watched every minute and that was a very winnable series if our goalie didn't get ouplayed by the opposing goalie. And yes he was flinching when Al McInnis wound up from the blue-line. We had a 2-1 lead in the series and then he had a GAA of close to 4 in Games 4, 5 and 6 as you so eloquently pointed out and didn't make the saves he had to make like Vernon was doing. This was also the only time the opposing team ever raised the Cup on Habs home ice.

Last edited by Schooner Guy: 03-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Nice of you to flash a bunch of scores from 1989 Final. Did you think the Stanley Cup Finals between two teams with the best defenses in the game were going to be full of 8-7 shootouts? Did you watch the 1989 Stanley Cup Finals? Were you old enough or even alive at the time? Because I sure as hell was....I watched every minute and that was a very winnable series if our goalie didn't get ouplayed by the opposing goalie. And yes he was flinching when Al McInnis wound up from the blue-line. We had a 2-1 lead in the series and then he had a GAA of close to 4 in Games 4, 5 and 6 as you so eloquently pointed out and didn't make the saves he had to make like Vernon was doing. This was also the only time the opposing team ever raised the Cup on Habs home ice.
You need to take a pill and relax buddy. Why the insults? I was alive and watched the series, you do realize that Calgary team was the best team in the NHL at the time and featured future Hall of Famers, Vernon, MacInnis (who lead the entire playoffs in scoring and won the Conn Smythe), Mullen and Gilmour. That was the thing that killed the Habs, nobody could stop Mullen, Gilmour and MacInnis. Vernon played well and the Habs big guns never fired.

Chelios wasn't as effective after the Hextall incident, Bobby Smith and Naslund weren't great, and Russ Courtnall was also just fair. Richer was almost invisible.

Gainey and Carbonneau couldn't shutdown the big Flames line while Otto and company shutdown the Habs scoring.

And feel free to **** off with your condescending attitude.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:16 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
You need to take a pill and relax buddy. Why the insults? I was alive and watched the series, you do realize that Calgary team was the best team in the NHL at the time and featured future Hall of Famers, Vernon, MacInnis (who lead the entire playoffs in scoring and won the Conn Smythe), Mullen and Gilmour. That was the thing that killed the Habs, nobody could stop Mullen, Gilmour and MacInnis. Vernon played well and the Habs big guns never fired.

Chelios wasn't as effective after the Hextall incident, Bobby Smith and Naslund weren't great, and Russ Courtnall was also just fair. Richer was almost invisible.

Gainey and Carbonneau couldn't shutdown the big Flames line while Otto and company shutdown the Habs scoring.

Not to mention a certain Theo Fleury entering his prime. He mentioned in his book that Roy was practically unbeatable in those series.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

More like Roy couldn't shut Flames down while Vernon could shut Canadiens down. Flames were #1 in the NHL that year and Habs were #2 in the NHL and #1 in the East(or Wales). It was the two most dominant teams in the NHL that season. Habs had a very strong team and fantastic defense. I thought they had the series when they went up 2-1 (still remember Ryan Walter in double OT) but they got sub-par goaltending (didn't make the big saves like Vernon did) the next three games and lost two of those games at home. I apologise for my tone but you may also want to listen to your own advice on relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
Not to mention a certain Theo Fleury entering his prime. He mentioned in his book that Roy was practically unbeatable in those series.
Fleury was a rookie in 1989 who had just been called up late in the season but did contribute in that Flames Cup run (I got laughed at when I took him late in my playoff pool that year). I believe in your reference to his book (which I have read), he was talking about when he played with Roy in Colorado.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
habitue*

This thread is getting funnier and funnier with every post...

Next one will be about the time Roy beat up his little neighbour when he was 7.... Or got a D on his math exam in grade 4...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Fleury was a rookie in 1989 who had just been called up late in the season but did contribute in that Flames Cup run (I got laughed at when I took him late in my playoff pool that year). I believe in your reference to his book (which I have read), he was talking about when he played with Roy in Colorado.
Hmm, you might be right about this one.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
More like Roy couldn't shut Flames down while Vernon could shut Canadiens down. Flames were #1 in the NHL that year and Habs were #2 in the NHL and #1 in the East(or Wales). It was the two most dominant teams in the NHL that season. Habs had a very strong team and fantastic defense. I thought they had the series when they went up 2-1 (still remember Ryan Walter in double OT) but they got sub-par goaltending (didn't make the big saves like Vernon did) the next three games and lost two of those games at home. I apologise for my tone but you may also want to listen to your own advice on relaxing.

We had a great team in '89 but Calgary was just plain too strong. I didn't feel that Roy was that great that year either (I know his numbers looked good but he just didn't feel 'on' that postseason.)

Fleury, Gilmour, MacInnis, Suter, Mullen, Newy, Roberts, Otto.... one hell of a team. If I remember correctly I think they outscored the Oilers that year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:50 AM
windycity

I think we should have a policy where we replace our head coach each year with the coach of our top draft pick for that year

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
This thread is getting funnier and funnier with every post...

Next one will be about the time Roy beat up his little neighbour when he was 7.... Or got a D on his math exam in grade 4...

Schooling isn't important for the Habs see Jacques Demers for example

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I think we should have a policy where we replace our head coach each year with the coach of our top draft pick for that year

If habs would be able to draft Yakupov, they could also hire his coach, who by the way, is Nathan Beaulieu's father...and who is bilingual !

Old
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If habs would be able to draft Yakupov, they could also hire his coach, who by the way, is Nathan Beaulieu's father...and who is bilingual !
Gonna be tough to do that when we trade Beaulieu and our pick for the 1st overall...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Gonna be tough to do that when we trade Beaulieu and our pick for the 1st overall...

Old
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

This thread is too funny to be true!

Hopefully the Avs, the Blue Jackets or the Isles won't steal Roy from our eyes... even if the Blue Jackets or the Islanders landed Grigorenko.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
indeed. though he'd be out in a year anyway under that policy

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
I want Roy as coach, no matter who we draft.
This ^^^

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't want Roy as coach no matter what... Grigorenko doesn't come into it. Roy seems a bit too volatile and inexperienced to be my first choice. Now, guys like that do someitmes pan out and become NHL star coaches. So if Roy did end up as our guy, I don't automatically predict failure and I'd be hopeful that he'd be one of the successes. But I hope we don't have to roll the dice like that this summer. I don't know who is going to get fired from current NHL jobs, or who all the best experienced candidates will be, but I dare to think we'll have solid options that don't include the dice roll on Roy.
I dont get posts like yours.

Look at who we had. Jacques Martin. As experienced and laid back a coach as you could find. And look at what that has gotten us. Nothing. Nothing at all. The young players were held back in their development with this cool, calm and collected EXPERIENCED coach. We lost two Kostitsyns because of this coach. We lost a large physical DMan (O'Byrne -- 117 blocked shots, 157 hits and a -1-------more hits and blocked shots than the "physical DMan" Johnny Boychuk) because of Cool Hand Jacques.

So the coaches' demeanor means absolutely squat. What is more important is the understanding by the coach regarding the game of hockey and what it takes to win.

Scotty Bowman was not all warm and fuzzy. He had an explosive temper. Some players called him a dictator. But he understood hockey, he understood human nature and he knew how to win.

Montreal has had (has) its share of quiet experienced men in leadership and coaching, but lacking knowledge on what it takes to win. No thanks. We need/deserve a change.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont get posts like yours.

Look at who we had. Jacques Martin. As experienced and laid back a coach as you could find. And look at what that has gotten us. Nothing. Nothing at all. The young players were held back in their development with this cool, calm and collected EXPERIENCED coach. We lost two Kostitsyns because of this coach. We lost a large physical DMan (O'Byrne -- 117 blocked shots, 157 hits and a -1-------more hits and blocked shots than the "physical DMan" Johnny Boychuk) because of Cool Hand Jacques.

So the coaches' demeanor means absolutely squat. What is more important is the understanding by the coach regarding the game of hockey and what it takes to win.

Scotty Bowman was not all warm and fuzzy. He had an explosive temper. Some players called him a dictator. But he understood hockey, he understood human nature and he knew how to win.

Montreal has had (has) its share of quiet experienced men in leadership and coaching, but lacking knowledge on what it takes to win. No thanks. We need/deserve a change.
Your posts make even less sense than his. JM got us nothing at all? This wasn't his only season behind the Habs bench, fyi. Every person you mention being "lost" because of JM were actually "gotten rid of" and there is no regret what so ever. Our team should be known for throwing good coaches under the bus so that the garbage GMs they were hired under can live for an extra season or two, instead of looking at bettering the team they put on the ice. JM was a good coach despite the nicknames you give him and the facts you distort to support your false claims. Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach. The fact is as soon as the team goes on a bad stretch, he'll get thrown out just like the guys before him, and it's despicable.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Your posts make even less sense than his. JM got us nothing at all? This wasn't his only season behind the Habs bench, fyi. Every person you mention being "lost" because of JM were actually "gotten rid of" and there is no regret what so ever. Our team should be known for throwing good coaches under the bus so that the garbage GMs they were hired under can live for an extra season or two, instead of looking at bettering the team they put on the ice. JM was a good coach despite the nicknames you give him and the facts you distort to support your false claims. Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach. The fact is as soon as the team goes on a bad stretch, he'll get thrown out just like the guys before him, and it's despicable.
You are going to post here that Ryan O'Byrne would not be better than Campoli, Weber, or Diaz? O'Byrne was not given a chance by Martin, just like Sergei was not given a chance. That was all Martin being cool and calm behind the bench.

And no offense to you, but I have to compliment you on your hockey acumen when you said this........"Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach."

You should be a hockey GM somewhere.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You are going to post here that Ryan O'Byrne would not be better than Campoli, Weber, or Diaz? O'Byrne was not given a chance by Martin, just like Sergei was not given a chance. That was all Martin being cool and calm behind the bench.

And no offense to you, but I have to compliment you on your hockey acumen when you said this........"Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach."

You should be a hockey GM somewhere.
This post is the perfect example of what is wrong with this team.

This is Diaz's first season in the NHL, yet you use him as a comparable when you yourself suggest O'Byrne was not given a chance to prove himself.

Weber on the other hand, an example of a player who has been given many chances and still gets them, but after all this time hasn't shown any consistency at all (a prime reason one would "get rid of" someone in the first place).

Finally Campoli, someone who I would consider to be a #7 D-man on a good day. Glad we can agree O'Byrne is better than a borderline #7...

Sergei was given chances, both under Martin and under Carbo. He chose to use the time given to him to plan his flight path to the KHL and threaten the team with it.

Absolutely I would say "Roy could be a good coach for us he could also be a bad coach." Anyone who says otherwise is a liar because they simply don't know what he would be. They can speculate. They don't know. In addition, your sarcastic uninformed remarks don't do anything for you.