HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 04:42 PM
andy28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
We finally have an opportunity to draft high, and people like you are pissing all over it! Ya, finishing 17th as opposed to 28th will REALLY help us.
How is he pissing all over it? He is not on the team. Either they win or they lose. If they win we climb in the standings and out of a top five pick, if they lose they get a good pick. Whatever happens happens.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:45 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
No one knows what is best, you can only play the percentages at this point. And picking 5 spots back would greatly lower the percentage in getting a franchise cornerstone.
Well, of course I want a top five pick too, and I don't expect the Habs to win many games, but if they do I will cheer for them. If they win them its because they could win them, and anything less would be throwing the games.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Prendan Brust

I'd rather have a top five pick but I cannot imagine proud professionnals would purposely lose to get help from a high pick. If they lose yeah!, if they win yeah!! That's my take. I cannot bring myself to wish the players would lose on purpose to satisfy my wish for a top tier young talent. I'd rather not have on my favourite team a player that would be ready to do that.

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
How do we know that? Finishing the season on a high note could be a really good thing for the players we have on the ice right now. There are a whole lot of them and only one first round draft pick.

You never know what could end up being best for this team.
You never know exactly what will end up being best for the team: however, we can think about what will most likely end up being best for the team. And that is a high draft pick with the highest likelihood of becoming an impact offensive forward.

The team is composed of big-boys. They can handle taking their medicine for a season. And if they can't, they were never to be hoped for in the first place.

This is one case where it is far more likely to be profitable to pick what's in the mystery box.

We know where winning out is going to take us: no where. We, and the leafs have been there before, and it sucks.

Old
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Well, of course I want a top five pick too, and I don't expect the Habs to win many games, but if they do I will cheer for them. If they win them its because they could win them, and anything less would be throwing the games.
That's exactly how I see it.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Guys , even after 2 wins in a row we're still dead last in the east and still 28th in the league so a lottery pick is still in our reach. We're bound to go on another losing streak soon.

The tank is still alive and healthy folks and a couple of wins won't change that.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Guys , even after 2 wins in a row we're still dead last in the east and still 28th in the league so a lottery pick is still in our reach. We're bound to go on another losing streak soon.

The tank is still alive and healthy folks and a couple of wins won't change that.
It does because we catapulted ourself into a position where with one or two more wins; coupled with losses of teams surrounding us, we're out of the range of the elite forwards in the draft.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
andy28

Quote:

I don't see us falling out of the bottom five either.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It does because we catapulted ourself into a position where with one or two more wins; coupled with losses of teams surrounding us, we're out of the range of the elite forwards in the draft.
Do you believe the Habs should lose on purpose?

Old
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

People were also saying Anaheim would never pass us, look again. One or two more wins and we can jump right out of the lottery.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:59 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
Where are the ****ing haters?
Markov makes the team 1489 times better, from a non playoff team to a playoff team or from a playoff team to a contender. HE IS THAT GOOD!
I'm with you here.

If we had Markov all year like we all expected :

- Jacques Martin would still be the coach
- Cammalleri would still be a Habs and looking at another 30 goals season
- Subban would have 15+ goals
- Gill and Kostitsyn would still be in Montreal
- Kaberle would still be in Rutherford's nightmares
- Diaz would be the leading scorer in Hamilton and we would all hype him like he's the next super star.
- And most of all, Habs fan would be cheering for the division title instead of the stupid "fail for nail". And they would set their BBQ ready for another crazy run in the playoffs.

Markov is indeed that good. His injury ruined the season. Now, I can't wait for next year, when he'll dominating this league again.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Zorba

Quote:
I don't see us falling out of the bottom five either.
We will catch one or two teams IMO. The Islanders are god awful, ill bet we finish in front of them.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
We will catch one or two teams IMO. The Islanders are god awful, ill bet we finish in front of them.
So are we. We might lose our spot, but we can't just throw games either. If we don't draft a star, we can hope for someone who at least is pretty damn good, and we have to do our best to build our team through other avenues as well.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:02 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
That would "catapult" us to 6 or 7. In which case you'd have to believe that only 1 or 2 dmen would have to be picked in order for us to be out of luck for the forwards.

The forwards aren't going 1-4. If we're 5 or 6, we'll have Forsberg or Galchenyuk at our disposal almost certainly.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Zorba

Quote:
So are we. We might lose our spot, but we can't just throw games either. If we don't draft a star, we can hope for someone who at least is pretty damn good, and we have to do our best to build our team through other avenues as well.
I disagree that we are god awful. Habs have most man games lost again this year. Markov is a true number 1 d man. IMO if Markov was there all year we would easily be in playoffs. He is not replaceable

Old
03-11-2012, 05:12 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I disagree that we are god awful. Habs have most man games lost again this year. Markov is a true number 1 d man. IMO if Markov was there all year we would easily be in playoffs. He is not replaceable
Oh, I know we aren't all that bad. We have a lot of good pieces. But our record this season hasn't been stellar, either. And winning a couple games this week doesn't mean that is going to change. They can't just lose them all.

But if we do win, well what can you do?

I would not ask players to throw games.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Do you believe the Habs should lose on purpose?
No... but at this point RC should ice the **** out of all rookies.

Play Budaj a ton too

Old
03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
I'm with you here.

- Diaz would be the leading scorer in Hamilton and we would all hype him like he's the next super star.
- And most of all, Habs fan would be cheering for the division title instead of the stupid "fail for nail". And they would set their BBQ ready for another crazy run in the playoffs.

Markov is indeed that good. His injury ruined the season. Now, I can't wait for next year, when he'll dominating this league again.

My BBQ will be ready for the upcoming Euro Cup 2012 though. At least something to look forward to. Go Germany!

Last edited by SB164: 03-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old
03-11-2012, 05:19 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

My BBQ will be ready for the upcoming Euro Cup 2012 though. At least someone to look forward to. Go Germany!
Nope, this year belongs to France. Don't ask questions, it's just part of the astrological cycle. They go to the finals, or win one tournament, then the next tournament they don't score a goal or don't get past the group stage.

We saw what happened last euro.

Benzema gon' whoop dat ass.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That would "catapult" us to 6 or 7. In which case you'd have to believe that only 1 or 2 dmen would have to be picked in order for us to be out of luck for the forwards.

The forwards aren't going 1-4. If we're 5 or 6, we'll have Forsberg or Galchenyuk at our disposal almost certainly.
Columbus is taking Yakupov. There's 1/4 gone.
Edmonton SHOULD select a D. But there's a chance they take a forward.
Islanders may take a D, but probably select a forward. 2/4 gone.
Carolina takes a forward 3/4.
Toronto takes a forward 4/4.
If by chance Islanders don't take a forward, Minnesota will.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:38 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
So your reasoning is a doomsday "EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKING FORWARDS" prophecy?

No...no no no.

I'm telling you, the chances of the forwards going 1,2,3,4 are minimal at best. One or two of Murray/Dumba/Trouba/Rielly and possibly even Reinhart are going before Forsberg, and one or two of Murray/Dumba/Trouba/Rielly are going before Galchenyuk.

I don't get it: you're not that high on Forsberg, but you're convinced that someone else is going to take him top 4 or 5 ahead of either all the Dmen, or all but one.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Basically all those teams are choosing forwards out of their spite for the habs?

"**** BPA, lets screw with the habs!"

Old
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Nope, this year belongs to France. Don't ask questions, it's just part of the astrological cycle. They go to the finals, or win one tournament, then the next tournament they don't score a goal or don't get past the group stage.

We saw what happened last euro.

Benzema gon' whoop dat ass.
They're lucky to be in such a weak group.
Group of death has Portugal, Netherland and Germany, but I see the latter two make it.
At the end of it all though, I really don't see how anybody can beat out Spain other than Germany.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:52 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
I'm with you here.

His injury ruined our playoff chances, and his return is probably gonna kill our lottery pick chances.

**** this ****.

Old
03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
andy28

While I think everyone would prefer picking 1st overall to 5th or 6th, none of us can control it. Maybe the leafs keep freefalling and end up where we are now. Are we supposed to have a losing competition? Of course I don't think any one is suggesting we should. But the point is, there is no reason to get upset about where we pick. I think we will have a reasonably high pick, but no one can guarantee that, and there is a chance we could climb out of even a top 7. So while we have had our hopes up about a top pick, we might wanna start accepting the reality that it might not happen.

Instead of kicking and screaming about how this will forever doom us to mediocrity, why don't we examine what our other best courses of action are.

Closed Thread