HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting ready to take the plunge to be a goalie

Old
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
ganave

vCash: 500
Getting ready to take the plunge to be a goalie

Hi all,

I've got more than a few friends playing hockey again. I've never played hockey. I can skate, but can't do much more than go forward.

I'm sufficiently insane to want to play goalie. I enjoy flying down mountains on racing skis and used to play catcher.

I'm going to be taking skating lessons starting next Saturday if I can get a pair of goalie skates. I was looking at... CCM Vector U 04 Senior Goalie Skate, because I can get them locally $175. I tried on some Bauers, but the fit wasn't really good. Too much movement around the lower shin. I ski a bunch, so I want to be 'locked' into my skates as much as possible.

I'll be asking for other gear recommendation soon, but with a budget of $175-200 what should I be aiming for?

After 2 months of skating lessons I'll be signing up for an instructional league. After that, well let the real hockey begin!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Hi all,

I've got more than a few friends playing hockey again. I've never played hockey. I can skate, but can't do much more than go forward.

I'm sufficiently insane to want to play goalie. I enjoy flying down mountains on racing skis and used to play catcher.

I'm going to be taking skating lessons starting next Saturday if I can get a pair of goalie skates. I was looking at... CCM Vector U 04 Senior Goalie Skate, because I can get them locally $175. I tried on some Bauers, but the fit wasn't really good. Too much movement around the lower shin. I ski a bunch, so I want to be 'locked' into my skates as much as possible.

I'll be asking for other gear recommendation soon, but with a budget of $175-200 what should I be aiming for?

After 2 months of skating lessons I'll be signing up for an instructional league. After that, well let the real hockey begin!
That's just the way goalie skates are, since they don't have the back bit that player skates have, so they generally fit looser, and I don't even use the top lace eyelet on my goalie skates.

And I don't think you can get much with a budget of $200 to be completely honest, just pads alone will cost that

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
ganave

Oh, I'm just thinking $200 for the skates.

$300 - goalie pants/goalie chest
$500-700 Leg Pads/Blocker/Glove (thinking getting it used from Play it Again Sports)
$150-200 helmet...

Yeah, it isn't going to be cheap. I'll be asking for more recommendations as I slowly build my kit over the next 6 months.

First up is skates, lessons, pants/chest/helmet.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
NorthernHab
Rookie User

Im wearing Bauer One80 Goalie Skates ($340)

NorthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

I've had my RBK 5k goalie skates for 4 seasons and I love them so much I'm not getting rid of them until they are broken. Best skates I've ever worn.

I have the very first model of the RBK pump range, but you could try these http://www.goaliemonkey.com/reebok-g...k-pump-sr.html

Old
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
ganave

Thanks guys,

99 Problems -- Goalie Monkey has Reebok 5ks, do they run true to size? My foot size is 10.5D

I went to my neighborhood shop that I buy all my baseball stuff from and they're cleaning out all their hockey stuff. Almost no goalie gear.

There's another place I might go to, but their prices are only 14-15% less than MSRP and they have a reputation for being really stuck up.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:44 PM
cowboy82nd

Skates do not run like shoe sizes! I wear a 10 in shoes and an 8.5 in ice skates. Not sure about goalie skates though.

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Man Bear Pig

Honestly, for a starter goalie in terms of equipment, don't buy brand new stuff(minus your skates and helmet). Go to a local trade show at your arena or a play-it-again sports.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy82nd View Post
Skates do not run like shoe sizes! I wear a 10 in shoes and an 8.5 in ice skates. Not sure about goalie skates though.
That sounds right, skates are done in Canadian shoe sizes. You're supposed to get 1.5 sizes smaller than your US shoe size. I always get skates 1 size smaller than my UK shoe size even though I should only be getting 0.5 smaller, but I like to have some toe room. I'm a UK 9 shoe (US 10) and I wear a size 8 skate.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
NorthernHab
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
That sounds right, skates are done in Canadian shoe sizes. You're supposed to get 1.5 sizes smaller than your US shoe size. I always get skates 1 size smaller than my UK shoe size even though I should only be getting 0.5 smaller, but I like to have some toe room. I'm a UK 9 shoe (US 10) and I wear a size 8 skate.
Canadian shoe sizes....I never heard of that and I live in Canada. We always use US shoe sizes

Im a 13 shoe size and a 10.5 EE skate size

Old
03-12-2012, 06:57 PM
NorthernHab
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Thanks guys,

99 Problems -- Goalie Monkey has Reebok 5ks, do they run true to size? My foot size is 10.5D

I went to my neighborhood shop that I buy all my baseball stuff from and they're cleaning out all their hockey stuff. Almost no goalie gear.

There's another place I might go to, but their prices are only 14-15% less than MSRP and they have a reputation for being really stuck up.
Best way to find out your skate size is to go to a store and try a pair on and get your right skate size. and remember, you get what you pay for.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:16 PM
pelts35.com

There is not a single mask that is only $200 that I would step on the ice with. Honestly you should be prepared to spend around $400 for a mask. hackva makes a great "pro level" mask for around that much.

Btw, don't forget about a jock, which will run you over $100.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy the Goalie View Post
Canadian shoe sizes....I never heard of that and I live in Canada. We always use US shoe sizes

Im a 13 shoe size and a 10.5 EE skate size
I could be wrong, but I think that's the guidance they use on the hockeymonkey website, I know I read it somewhere.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
There is not a single mask that is only $200 that I would step on the ice with. Honestly you should be prepared to spend around $400 for a mask. hackva makes a great "pro level" mask for around that much.

Btw, don't forget about a jock, which will run you over $100.
$100 for a jock? That's ridiculous, you shouldn't be paying any more than 50!

Old
03-13-2012, 12:19 AM
ganave

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't er, descriptive enough.

1) I want to play goalie.
2) I'm insane.
3) See above.

For goalie skates I can either get a pair of CCM Vector U 04s at $175 at a local store, or I can buy a pair of Reebok 5Ks online from goalie monkey . I ski so I understand the importance of things fitting right. I'm recovering from a concussion while practicing for a charity ski race (I was working on turns on snow that is compressed enough to almost be ice on moguls.)

I'm taking at least 6 skating classes and I'll then enroll in either a hockey skating class or an instructional league. First class is this Saturday.

I'm going to get leg pads, blocker and glove used. I play catcher, infield and outfield in baseball/softball and I have random gear to trade in at Play it Again sports. Everything else will be new. I might get a used stick and chest protector though too.

I'll be adding my chronicles to the Hockey Noob Chronicles soon enough. Based on the board here I think it will take at least 6 months before I can start playing.

TL: DR Are CCM Vector 04 goalie skates good, or should I get Reeboks?

Old
03-13-2012, 03:30 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
I know people that drop 3 sizes from shoes to skates. I guess it depends on width of feet as well. I usually wear an 11.5 shoe and drop to a 9-9.5 skate. Whenever I've gotten new skates the sales people ask what size I am and I never know what to say.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I know people that drop 3 sizes from shoes to skates. I guess it depends on width of feet as well. I usually wear an 11.5 shoe and drop to a 9-9.5 skate. Whenever I've gotten new skates the sales people ask what size I am and I never know what to say.
It depends on the skate itself too, I switched from Bauer vapor XXXX to Easton S17's and the Eastons had way less toe room, even though they were both a size 8

Old
03-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
It depends on the skate itself too, I switched from Bauer vapor XXXX to Easton S17's and the Eastons had way less toe room, even though they were both a size 8
I remember being at a store a few years ago and trying on a pair of size 9.5 Eastons and I couldn't believe how much room I had in the toes. Like there was a big gap which confused me. No company should have that big of a drop.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
$100 for a jock? That's ridiculous, you shouldn't be paying any more than 50!
For a goalie jock? I hope you're kidding that it shouldn't cost less than $50. The cheapest jock on goaliemonkey.com is $55. Are your jewels worth more than $50? If you answer yes, spend the extra money for a $100 jock.

My first goalie skates were the CCM V04s. They aren't a bad starter skate, but if you plan on playing a lot, the boot will break down pretty quickly. I went from not playing at all to playing 3-5 times per week. The CCM skate lasted me 6 months before the boot was too soft. I now have the Graf Goaler Pro 750s and LOVE them. Super comfortable with a very solid boot. Goaliemonkey has the older versions for under $300. If I had to do it over again I would have sprung for the better skates.

That said I would opt for them to get them fit correctly and baked in the store instead of guessing how the Reeboks will fit. Having tried on both they feel completely different.

There is nothing wrong with getting used C/A, legs, glove, blocker and pants. Plenty of great deals on the Bay or going directly to goaliestore.com's classified section.

BTW you are recovering from a concussion? You truly are insane if you are willing to step in the crease with a $200 mask on your head after having a concussion. Frankly if you aren't willing to drop at least $400 for a mask you should reconsider your decision to play goal.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 03-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old
03-13-2012, 10:48 AM
ganave

Thanks Pelt, good advice. I'll lean towards spending closer to $300 for the skates and go to another local store. The place has a meh reputation for customer service, but I'd rather have skates that fit right than deal with shipping pairs of skates back and forth online.

I have the green light from my doctor to resume skiing and sports, it was thankfully only a grade 1 concussion. I always wear a helmet when skiing but it would be nice if they can invent helmets that reduce concussions. Only had two total in 6 seasons of skiing.

It will be at *least* 3 months before I step into the crease.

I'll be taking a month long learning-to-skate class and a more advanced skating class after that. Then I'll sign up for an instructional league. The goalie has to be one of the best skaters on the team.

I plan on practicing hard, getting out of my comfort zone and falling a lot (saying goes in skiing if you're not falling you're not learning). I'll invest in elbow pads, knee pads and a non-goalie helmet to skate in.

Good to know that I should budget more for a helmet, I obviously will get a brand new one.

This forum has been really helpful in figuring out what to get. I'll probably put together a list of gear that I'm looking at to make sure I have everything and that it'll protect my body instead of breaking.

Old
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
For a goalie jock? I hope you're kidding that it shouldn't cost less than $50. The cheapest jock on goaliemonkey.com is $55. Are your jewels worth more than $50? If you answer yes, spend the extra money for a $100 jock.
What? No it isnt. http://www.goaliemonkey.com/goaljocks.html

The most expensive one is $92.99, the cheapest senior one is $34.99

And Ganave, this is the helmet I'm using right now http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-g...0-cat-eye.html

I highly recommend it and it's a sensible price. Vaughn have got loads of decent masks at low prices on there.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 03-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
http://www.hockeyoffice.com/bauer-go...iN1027921.html

36.89 Euros, that's not even 50 dollars. The most expensive one they have on there is 78.24 Euros, that's a little over 100 dollars, and it's a pro one. I was always under the impression that equipment is way more expensive in Europe.
I honestly have no idea of it's more over there or not, but personally I would be happy to invest $100 for a jock instead of $50 to protect the jewels. That said in the grand scheme of things, what's an extra $50?

Old
03-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Started with a cheap goalie jock and paid the price once....once.

Now I wear a quality Jock that runs around $80(Simmons) with no problems in two years.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Propane Nightmares
TIA bro

Quote:
I honestly have no idea of it's more over there or not, but personally I would be happy to invest $100 for a jock instead of $50 to protect the jewels. That said in the grand scheme of things, what's an extra $50?
There really isn't much of a difference in the quality

Old
03-13-2012, 11:49 AM
ganave

My options for skates went up a bunch. I just learned that goaliemonkey has a store about 20 miles south of me. I'll have an update on skates tonight I called the other store I was going to and they don't carry goalie equipment in the store, just on their website.

I'm not going to skimp on a goalie jock. I've gotten my share of nasty foul tips catching. They always seem to find the gaps... I can't yet imagine how bruised a goalie gets after a game, but I'll find out.