HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If the Habs cannot get Yakupov by winning the lottery or trading for him, it doesn't really matter which player they gonna select . They re all about the same from 2nd to 12th pick with upsides and downsides.

I hope they gonna trade their pick for an established 23-27 y old winger who can help next season.
Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash would be my choice.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Newhabfan

If tanking and getting top picks would work then the Oilers would lead the NHL.

I think that having a positive season ending might do more for the team spirit and future then getting a 3rd overall instead of a 7th. But that's my opinion.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

I think that having a positive season ending might do more for the team spirit and future then getting a 3rd overall instead of a 7th. But that's my opinion.
It's funny how anti-tankers always bring up the Oilers, but never Pittsburgh or Chicago.

You think Pittsburgh got Fleury, Staal, Malkin, and Crosby by finishing 7th overall

Old
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Bobby Ryan or Rick Nash would be my choice.
No thanks to Nash. We already have enough overpaid players

Old
03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
better nash than parise

Old
03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
It's funny how anti-tankers always bring up the Oilers, but never Pittsburgh or Chicago.

You think Pittsburgh got Fleury, Staal, Malkin, and Crosby by finishing 7th overall
Washington is a less severe case, but they swallowed a couple sucky years and pooped out...Ovechkin and Backstrom...and many people would kill to have Backstrom, who's an elite center imo.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

Let Hall and Nugent-Hopkins get a few years of experience?

People here think we can go far with Pacioretty, Price and Subban, yet all of them have more than 1 season (Eberle, Hall) of pro experience that their core players had before this season and we're sitting in 15th in the East.

Thinking drafting top end talent brings immediate results is to have a very, very limited understanding of how competitive sports and pro leagues work. A backbone of rookies and sophomores isn't going to win **** in the NHL, not unless you have a very, very strong supporting cast and system play. Which the Oilers clearly don't have.

People here would argue that Crosby doesn't make a difference compared to drafting 15th because the Penguins drafted 2nd overall his rookie year, right? Didn't think so. And a player like that comes around oh so often.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:45 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

That is true. But Pittsburgh finished on the bottom. We are in the bottom group right now, but maybe we won't be come April.

I am all for drafting high, but at this point what can you do? Ask the team to lose? Why do we have to have fights between tankers and anti-tankers here? Does it matter? It is just a difference of opinions between a bunch of keyboard warriors who don't make decisions for the team anyways.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Having Markov back seemed to embolden the Habs. They played against the Canucks the way the Bruins did in winning the SC finals. There was one other common factor: Price, like Thomas, outplayed Luongo (and I'm not surprised).

Old
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
How about our 1st pick to Florida for Huberdeau ?

Old
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
andy28

Quote:
We would have to give a lot more than our first, and I still don't think Florida would do this. He should be ready for their lineup next season, and they have a lot of time to assess him.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:55 PM
pine*

Quote:
And why would both teams do this?

As long as we have a shot at Yakupov/Grigorenko, I want to keep the pick. And Panthers have no reason to trade Huberdeau either, as he's one year into his development.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:59 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
And why would both teams do this?

As long as we have a shot at Yakupov/Grigorenko, I want to keep the pick. And Panthers have no reason to trade Huberdeau either, as he's one year into his development.
Well at that point we would know where we are picking. But I still do not see why Florida would do this.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:01 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Well at that point we would know where we are picking. But I still do not see why Florida would do this.
It totally makes no sense for them. So if they decide they want to, that should raise a red flag. What do they know about Huberdeau that no one else does?

Old
03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
It totally makes no sense for them. So if they decide they want to, that should raise a red flag. What do they know about Huberdeau that no one else does?
Yup. And that won't happen. Florida would only do it for an overpayment, and even then it would make more sense for them to wait and see if he pans out, since his ceiling is higher than anyone we can offer.

If we can't get Yaks or Grigs, we can still hope for Galches.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Et le But

Only on hf would fans cry over a Markov inspired victory against the Canucks. Seriously, I get how valuable a draft pick is, but are you fans of this team or of Grigorenko?

Once again, we weren't going to lose every single game for the rest of the season. No team at the NHL level is going to intentionally throw games, these guys have far too many pride and self-respect for that. It absolutely disgusts me that "fans" would want a healthy Markov to be wasted instead of finding his ability to play at the NHL level again.

If we finish in the bottom 6, we should get one of the top 4 forwards. Every team isn't going to pick a forward when Murray and Dumba are so highly regarded. And if we seriously did lose the last 20 games of the seasons, we'd have far more problems than one draft pick can pick. This is a team sport.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Now the team apparently isn't ****** enough for everyone?
This team can't even lose properly. If you are going to miss the playoffs, miss by a mile and make it worth our time.

Old
03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
This team can't even lose properly. If you are going to miss the playoffs, miss by a mile and make it worth our time.
Well, it's not over yet, and as far as we know right now, they are doing a pretty decent job of it. 28th is certainly not winning properly. They can't lose every game. It's funny what it has got to, when you have to console people by saying "Cant lose em all".

Old
03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Kriss E

It was great and refreshing to see Markov, but he has a long hill to climb. He wasn't all that great defensively, seemed a little lost at times, so I don't think his return means we will start a hot streak. It could, but I don't see it. I think we might play for .500

Old
03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Everyone close to us is currently losing and we go on a winning streak . We did teh same thing in the yera we could have had Kovalchuk, instead we got komisarek. Expecting the same thing this year.
I've already brought up 2001 a few times, that's why I'm trying my best to not think about draft possibilities until the Habs position is determined. I was thinking about kovalchuk and spezza in February, before Bulis and Zednik showed up, all happy and energized.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
NotProkofievian

No trading picks for players until we are legitimate stanley cup contenders.

Lets do this right, make this pick count, and move on stronger, and better next year.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
What are they supposed to do?

They're missing their "number 1" centre, Palushaj, and Geoffrion are in the lineup, and their third pairing consists of Kaberle and Campoli, with Weber taking regular shifts on defence. All of this and Vancouver sucks worse. Not their fault.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
bottom line is if u wanna "tank" u are a quitter.i got no time for it .either u support the team or u dont.judging by hf boards we got ALOT of quitters.and i cant wait to hear u all whine cause this team aint gonna quit.
i support good grammar and spelling.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Lebowski

As a fan, it is fine to be shortsighted and ignore the future and focus yourself on a "win now, no matter what" approach.

As a manager, though, you have to consider the big picture.

First of all, to all to people comparing our situation with the Oilers', just stop, because we are not related to them in any sort of way.

We're having a fluke season. We're under-performing. We should currently be fighting for a playoff spot, as we've been doing just that for the past decade. But we are not there right now. We have no chance to get by the end of the season either. So why not take advantage of our situation?

I get whole "true fan!" approach some of you adopted, but this is exactly why we've been a mediocre, middle of the pack franchise for so long. Most of you claim you want a visionary at the helm of this team, somebody with a plan, with new ideas, somebody that can truly turn this franchise around. Well, I must say, welcome to the real world, because that sort of thing can only happen through two options: taking huge bets via the trade market or rebuilding.

Gauthier, for all the hate he gets, has done the right moves lately. We have an established and balanced young core (and this is exactly why we differ from the Oilers), coupled with some nice prospects turning pro next season. On top of that, Gauthier stock pilled a bunch of picks for Timmins to fill our prospect pool with new talent. Is it a guarantee it's going to work? Absolutely not, but it is one of the very few ways to find the long term success.

Prior to this season, the Habs philosophy have been the "playoff at all cost" approach, which has, needless to say, failed. That philosophy consist in building through the free agent markets and, as some of you like to call it, "patch-work" trades. This is the kind of mindset you, "true fans", advocate. News flash, this method won't bring us anywhere.

It would really be a sad event if this whole season of plain suckage would end up in a late top 10 pick because of a late season push. It would turn a fluke season into a bad season, in the way we won't have the chance to grab any elite talent, nor are we going to attend to the spring dance.

We, right now, have the opportunity of reaching a whole new level, providing Timmins makes the right choice at the draft. We have the chance to add an elite talent to our team, but for that to happen, we have to endure 13 games of losing. At this point, is it asking too much? We're almost there, so why not go all in and sacrifice this season for the better? Managing implies thinking long term, and frankly the "win now" approach is just stupid, given the context.

We have a team much better than the standings indicates. Adding to that a top-end talent might turn a fringe playoff team into a contender. Are we gonna draft a surefire superstar? Maybe not, but at this point, you just have to go for it.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:32 AM
HockeyF3ind

I think we're gonna package our overall top 5 pick with one or more of these 2nd's we've gotten from the trades, for the overall top 1 or 2 if we don't get it in the lottery.

That would be truly sweet.

Closed Thread