HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose rant at DL thread (ALL ranting in here + Poll)

View Poll Results: DL next season
He will be fired / I don't want him back 33 30.56%
He will be back next season / I want him Back 27 25.00%
He will be fired / I want him Back 8 7.41%
He will be back / I do NOT want him back 40 37.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
It's a tough call. DL has done a great job of assembling this team. Unfortunately, we're not performing at the higher level we should be. So, is that DL's fault? Possibly, since he did hire Sutter. But I actually like Sutter and think he's a great coach.

Having said that, if the kings don't make the playoffs, I think DL will get fired, whether I want him to or not.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
It's a tough call. DL has done a great job of assembling this team. Unfortunately, we're not performing at the higher level we should be. So, is that DL's fault? Possibly, since he did hire Sutter. But I actually like Sutter and think he's a great coach.

Having said that, if the kings don't make the playoffs, I think DL will get fired, whether I want him to or not.
Missing the playoffs means the organization has taken a step backwards, which was not on Deano's long term plan as far as I know. Maybe he ran out of poster board for years 7, 8 & 9? Whether or not this team is headed in the right direction is purely speculation of which I agree with but Dumbo gets paid for on ice results, not fan speculation so he deserves to be fired. He's had more than enough time to formulate a winner yet he has managed to build a team devoid of character, heart, charisma, leadership, self-motivation, passion, pride or power. His moves, his way-it just doesn't seem to work.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Missing the playoffs means the organization has taken a step backwards, which was not on Deano's long term plan as far as I know. Maybe he ran out of poster board for years 7, 8 & 9? Whether or not this team is headed in the right direction is purely speculation of which I agree with but Dumbo gets paid for on ice results, not fan speculation so he deserves to be fired. He's had more than enough time to formulate a winner yet he has managed to build a team devoid of character, heart, charisma, leadership, self-motivation, passion, pride or power. His moves, his way-it just doesn't seem to work.
Yes, missing the playoff would be HUGE, no doubt about that. However, I have to give DL credit for putting together a great team. Yeah, a team that may miss the playoffs, but great team nonetheless.

Besides, DL is the gm, not the coach. He can't be expected to do everything.

DL has done a solid job this year imo.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Quote:
However, I have to give DL credit for putting together a great team. Yeah, a team that may miss the playoffs, but great team nonetheless.
That makes zero sense.

If you can't finish Top 8 in a 15 team conference, you are anything but great.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:11 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
That makes zero sense.

If you can't finish Top 8 in a 15 team conference, you are anything but great.
A great team on paper.

Now, it's up to Sutter to deliver.

How many teams have a better team than we do on paper?

Old
03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

The team how it is now, is good. Maybe it's too late, I don't know. The three forward changes have been the difference between being in the playoff hunt and this team taking their spot near the bottom of the conference, where Minnesota is now or worse. How it was at the beginning and middle of the year was not a good hockey team.

This group of players even in this bad system would be a playoff team if kept intact for a whole season.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
A great team on paper.

Now, it's up to Sutter to deliver.

How many teams have a better team than we do on paper?
First off, paper means squat, even if the team was playing like it did in the past.

I assume on your paper Mike Richards is an 80 point player, Dustin Penner is a 30 goal scorer, Drew Doughty is a Norris candidate, Jarret Stoll is a 20 goal , Rob Scuderi is a shut down defenseman.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Besides, DL is the gm, not the coach. He can't be expected to do everything.
Maybe you don't understand what constitutes the duties of a GM. Not only can he be expected to do everything - it's his JOB to do everything. He either does whatever needs to be done or he selects who will do it. If something doesn't work out, he can blame his underlings, but in the end he is the one who should be held accountable.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
First off, paper means squat, even if the team was playing like it did in the past.

I assume on your paper Mike Richards is an 80 point player, Dustin Penner is a 30 goal scorer, Drew Doughty is a Norris candidate, Jarret Stoll is a 20 goal , Rob Scuderi is a shut down defenseman.
When you're a gm, that's pretty much all you can do. A gm can't trade for a player on a tryout basis to see if the player works out or not, and return the player if he doesn't.

Yeah, it'd be nice to be in the world of MMQ, but guess what, this is the real world and it's on live.

DL doesn't have the luxury to second guess like you do.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Maybe you don't understand what constitutes the duties of a GM. Not only can he be expected to do everything - it's his JOB to do everything. He either does whatever needs to be done or he selects who will do it. If something doesn't work out, he can blame his underlings, but in the end he is the one who should be held accountable.
Oh, I understand it. I just don't always agree with it.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I moved a few things here.

Some guidelines...if you don't want to read it, don't open it. Click ignore thread and move on. The DL hate needs to be contained in here to keep it from heading into every thread if possible. No callout posts where we call out and attack other guys/gals, no flaming. Critique posts and not posters. Everyone knows I like to get my DL related anger out too, so these also apply to me

Have at it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:25 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Oh, I understand it. I just don't always agree with it.
What exactly should he not be responsible for then?

Draft picks? Trades? Free agent signings? Who gets called up from Manchester? Which players are re-signed?

What about the selection of the coach?

If not the GM, then who should be held accountable for ANY of these?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 11:31 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
What exactly should he not be responsible for then?

Draft picks? Trades? Free agent signings? Who gets called up from Manchester? Which players are re-signed?

What about the selection of the coach?

If not the GM, then who should be held accountable for ANY of these?
A gm can be blamed for anything or everything. I just don't think that would be fair in DL's case.

As for who's accountable if the kings don't make the playoffs, it really depends on how they finish but maybe no one.

I'm sure AEG would most likely get rid of both DL and DS but I would let DL finish out his contract ( I believe it expires next year) and let DS bring in his people to assist the team.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

More and more it looks like DL is trying to prove that he is "the guy" to get the Kings over the hump and into serious SC contending spot, like he failed to do in San Jose, but so far he has such limited success. His "over the top" deals in Penner and Richards have not planned out nearly as well as he would have liked, I think that is fair to say.
However, on paper this team next year is going to be one of, if not the most, talented and deepest in Kings history, ignoring FA signings and trades altogether.

If the Kings miss playoffs, there is no doubt in my mind you go in another direction with GM. It is just not acceptable that this team misses playoffs. If they make it in, I think DL will be on the shortest of leases, but will be back. However at the first sign of trouble next year, he is out. He is on his 3rd coach, that card has been played. There is not really that much room to maneuver for DL this summer either, so basically he is just going to have to wait it out this year and if he's still around next year to see if he has made the right moves or not, very little left for him to do.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Asheru

I can't cast my vote just yet. If they keep this team together, it is deep, very deep, better than the Gagne/Parse/horrid third line club they had going into this season.

This team is close. I want to keep DL if he doesn't mess up by wanting to deal Kopi and Dustin Brown.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote