HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mystery with Chris Pronger

Old
03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
The Mystery with Chris Pronger

So back on December 16th it was ruled that Chris Pronger would miss the rest of the regular season & playoffs due to concussion like symptoms. I simply don't understand how they were able to come to this conclusion so quickly. Plenty of stars have been sitting out with concussion symptoms to eventually return after a few months, sometimes weeks.

There has been little to no information released on his status or progress. Just some media tidbits, comments from his wife, etc. Meanwhile you receive almost weekly updates on guys like Sid. Why is this?

Was the stick to the eye incident and the hit by Hanzal the result of his concussion? Or was it only the Hanzal hit? Just seems so strange to me.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:00 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

he's done

just accept it and move on

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
SEVERE Post Concussion Syndrome. /thread

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

career most likely done

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

How is this a mystery?

Flyers fans are supposed to be on the ball when it comes to being knowledgeable...

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

These responses are a bit hostile, honestly. It's a legitimate question.

The reason that Pronger has been deemed unable to play for so long is because of the intensity of the symptoms. It's been said he's been having difficulty just doing day to day things, and this is similar to what players like Primeau have gone through in the past.

A guy like Crosby and many other players, while they still are unable to play, aren't going through such extreme effects.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think they have been pretty forthcoming and we have had updates. If he is not improving/nowhere near playing, what would you like them to say? Just weekly updates on how the guy can't get out of bed in the morning or is depressed or in constant pain? He has post concussion syndrome. When he no longer has that, we will know. Until then there is no point in an update other than "He still has post concussion syndrome." You usually don't get an update on an injured player unless something changes.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Yes but what was the finishing blow? The Hanzal hit? It's still unclear to me how it was such a severe incident. I just feel like there may have been another underlying injury that wasn't being talked about and then the Hanzal or eye incident pushed it over the edge.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:09 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Between severe post concussion syndrome, a back surgery, and a knee surgery within, what, 12 months a 37 year old does not have much left in the tank, and it is fairly obvious.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Yes but what was the finishing blow? The Hanzal hit? It's still unclear to me how it was such a severe incident. I just feel like there may have been another underlying injury that wasn't being talked about and then the Hanzal or eye incident pushed it over the edge.
They probably don't know the answer to that. From what I understand unless there is only one possible incident, it is pretty much impossible to tell what caused the concussion. I could be wrong about that, but if they didn't check him for a concussion after the stick to the face and the concussion happened sometime between that incident and his last time on the ice, it could have been anything.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He hasn't had consecutive days where he felt good, which is the very start of recovering from a concussion. He's struggling to do basic things to live a normal life, let alone begin a recovery back to the NHL.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
He hasn't had consecutive days where he felt good, which is the very start of recovering from a concussion. He's struggling to do basic things to live a normal life, let alone begin a recovery back to the NHL.
You would think a hit with the kind of impact Voracek incurred would create these symptoms. Just seems too freakish.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
You would think a hit with the kind of impact Voracek incurred would create these symptoms. Just seems too freakish.
Every hit is different. You can get a concussion from a bump on the head but pop right back up after getting a crushing hit in a hockey game.

Old
03-11-2012, 08:26 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Every hit is different. You can get a concussion from a bump on the head but pop right back up after getting a crushing hit in a hockey game.
And every person is different. Some people are more susceptible to certain types of hitting leading to concussions.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
This. When you don't even have signs of improving, you are in trouble.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
You would think a hit with the kind of impact Voracek incurred would create these symptoms.
Personally, I think he was likely concussed.

I can almost guarantee there was a loss of consciousness involved in that hit - with the big clue being the uncontrolled reach of his arms. Although a loss of consciousness and a concussion do not always precipitate/require the other - it certainly increases the likelihood of a concussion if trauma involves a loss of consciousness.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Plus everybody is different... Roenick probabaly had more concussions than most players who had their careers cuts short, and he kept coming back... And there are players with a lower threshold for concussions and players with a much higher one; Eric Lindros' brother was done very early in his NHL career and was prone to concussions... while frankly there are players where you wonder how they can get dazed, yet be fine and never miss a shift; Max Talbot never fails to amaze me, yet I don't believe he has been diagnosed with one since he joined the Flyers... and Briere, except for that one game where he was repeatedly hit and then missed a few games, has been banged around like a rag doll and slammed head first into the boards and after being dazed he's back up and the Energized Rabbit once again.

... Every hit is different... every concussion is different... every reaction to a concussion is different... and every person is different when it comes to being concussed and their PCS effects... from what I can see and have learned, anyway

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Plus everybody is different... Roenick probabaly had more concussions than most players who had their careers cuts short, and he kept coming back... And there are players with a lower threshold for concussions and players with a much higher one; Eric Lindros' brother was done very early in his NHL career and was prone to concussions... while frankly there are players where you wonder how they can get dazed, yet be fine and never miss a shift; Max Talbot never fails to amaze me, yet I don't believe he has been diagnosed with one since he joined the Flyers... and Briere, except for that one game where he was repeatedly hit and then missed a few games, has been banged around like a rag doll and slammed head first into the boards and after being dazed he's back up and the Energized Rabbit once again.

... Every hit is different... every concussion is different... every reaction to a concussion is different... and every person is different when it comes to being concussed and their PCS effects... from what I can see and have learned, anyway
Exactly.

Old
03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
MsWoof

Outside of what his wife's said, none of us really knows. When Bergeron had his terrible concussion, he eventually came back. I take what the Flyers do or don't say with a grain of salt, but I don't expect him back for the playoffs. He's not skating and they mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he was at the practice facility which means the rest of the time he's not there. You can't just be deemed fit and then jump onto the ice for a game.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
Personally, I think he was likely concussed.

I can almost guarantee there was a loss of consciousness involved in that hit - with the big clue being the uncontrolled reach of his arms. Although a loss of consciousness and a concussion do not always precipitate/require the other - it certainly increases the likelihood of a concussion if trauma involves a loss of consciousness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
RyK15*

Good bye Pronger, hello Suter

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Xegiie

in my opinion it just says 1 thing, its that bad, that they don't even give an update , i dont like ppl just saying "done, next" i was so excited about watching pronger ..sigh

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
Dag, yo.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Kaktus*

I know it's not going to happen but I am kind of waiting for someone to post an article that him skating on his own.

But yeah, if he tried to reach out to Primeau I think he is done and so is our window of opportunity to win SC.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:13 AM
EvilAsh
Lockouts Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post

This made me think of the Kronwall hit.

EvilAsh is offline   Reply With Quote