HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Old
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
Amen. Had a great time, definitely more pleasant than the playoff atmosphere last time I was there. the city's better than Marchand gives it credit for

The Annihilator at Pearl Street didn't quite annihilate and the kaiser roll for beef-on-weck is just too salty for me. I guess those (and Pouliot on the shootout) are my only complaints
I will second that! Wife and I had a great time.

Parking was half the cost of what we pay in Boston, and was closer to the arena. The wind was HOWLING Friday night but we're alive still.

Beautiful arena, with surprisingly fair prices on many concession items. I don't know of any restaurants where you will find a cheeseburger and fries for 8 bucks, never mind at a sporting event!

For any other visitors, we stayed at the Best Western on Dingens Street, which was just about touching the highway and a quick 5 minute ride to the arena. I would definitely recommend it.

I also wanted to say that the people at the RBC Center in Raleigh gave you guys a bad rep When I was there a few years back they acted like people from Buffalo burned and pillaged their city and had their way with the women. I was pleasantly surprised at how kind and respectful everyone was, especially considering the last few games between Boston and Buffalo haven't been very amicable of affairs. Only one guy gave me any crap and it wasn't until I was leaving. Otherwise, all positive chatter from the people around me.

I'd definitely make the trip again, despite the 7 hours of hell on I90. Good grief that was boring. Then to be followed home by the wind/snow on the way home

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:00 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
Amen. Had a great time, definitely more pleasant than the playoff atmosphere last time I was there. the city's better than Marchand gives it credit for

The Annihilator at Pearl Street didn't quite annihilate and the kaiser roll for beef-on-weck is just too salty for me. I guess those (and Pouliot on the shootout) are my only complaints
Glad you had a good (and safe) trip. I don't even bother with the weck roll...I always ask for plain.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I also wanted to say that the people at the RBC Center in Raleigh gave you guys a bad rep When I was there a few years back they acted like people from Buffalo burned and pillaged their city and had their way with the women.
LOL, this is not the first time I have heard this exact description. You'll always get a few bad apples in the bunch. Glad you had a good time.

Old
03-05-2012, 04:35 PM
SoFFacet

Hi everyone, I'm coming to the Canes game this Wednesday, first one in years. Come to think of it it'll actually be my first time coming as an independent young adult instead of a kid/teen with his family. Just looking for some up to date info on where good places to park are and how early its wise to arrive, etc. I'm coming in from Rochester. Thanks!

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Hi everyone, I'm coming to the Canes game this Wednesday, first one in years. Come to think of it it'll actually be my first time coming as an independent young adult instead of a kid/teen with his family. Just looking for some up to date info on where good places to park are and how early its wise to arrive, etc. I'm coming in from Rochester. Thanks!
My suggestion: park at south campus (free) and take the train.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:54 AM
HiddenInLight

If you take the train get there reasonably early, its 2.50 for round trip, and you'll get a seat as long as you get on at one of the underground stops.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Okay I'm not so much as visiting but moving, I'm closing on a house between now and the 1st week of April. I'll be living in the Lancaster area. What's around there for the most part? I know in the summer they have Taste of Lancaster and that was fun for me last year. Isn't Depew station near there as well... is there any like recreational sport buildings, etc in the area? Any/all info would be greatly appreciated...

BTW I am NOT trolling... I am moving, and I spend time in WNY, just not enough to know..

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 06:45 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Okay I'm not so much as visiting but moving, I'm closing on a house between now and the 1st week of April. I'll be living in the Lancaster area. What's around there for the most part? I know in the summer they have Taste of Lancaster and that was fun for me last year. Isn't Depew station near there as well... is there any like recreational sport buildings, etc in the area? Any/all info would be greatly appreciated...

BTW I am NOT trolling... I am moving, and I spend time in WNY, just not enough to know..
I live in Lancaster...taste of Lancaster was TINY.

But summertime in Buffalo there's plenty to do in general...taste of Buffalo, Williamsville Old Home Days, Canal Fest or whatever it's called in North Tonawanda. Various cruise nights (usually on Thursday nights)...there's one in Lancaster at Polish Falcons every Thursday if looking at cars is your thing.

Lancaster usually puts on a decent 4th of July Fireworks show, and on that same day there's a 5k race that goes around Lancaster/Depew. My family usually sets up chairs and watches all the runners go by in the morning.

Rock the Barn in Clarence...

In the fall there's Oinktoberfest in Clarence (bbq competition and other fall festivities)

Then you have various Lawn Fetes at area Catholic Churches...those are always fun for drinking/people watching/listening to bands.

There's always something going on in the area, just need to keep an eye/ear open. Summer is jam packed with stuff.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there's more Lancaster specific stuff that I haven't mention, so if someone has any info let me know, always looking for more stuff to do.

Summer time for me is usually hanging out in my yard with my dog/wife/beer/bbq smoker. =)

edit: you don't happen to be a corrections officer are you?

Old
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
I live in Lancaster...taste of Lancaster was TINY.

But summertime in Buffalo there's plenty to do in general...taste of Buffalo, Williamsville Old Home Days, Canal Fest or whatever it's called in North Tonawanda. Various cruise nights (usually on Thursday nights)...there's one in Lancaster at Polish Falcons every Thursday if looking at cars is your thing.

Lancaster usually puts on a decent 4th of July Fireworks show, and on that same day there's a 5k race that goes around Lancaster/Depew. My family usually sets up chairs and watches all the runners go by in the morning.

Rock the Barn in Clarence...

In the fall there's Oinktoberfest in Clarence (bbq competition and other fall festivities)

Then you have various Lawn Fetes at area Catholic Churches...those are always fun for drinking/people watching/listening to bands.

There's always something going on in the area, just need to keep an eye/ear open. Summer is jam packed with stuff.

Hope that helps. I'm sure there's more Lancaster specific stuff that I haven't mention, so if someone has any info let me know, always looking for more stuff to do.

Summer time for me is usually hanging out in my yard with my dog/wife/beer/bbq smoker. =)

edit: you don't happen to be a corrections officer are you?
Thank you very much this'll help me. I like to go out and do stuff. and No, I'm gonna be a college student at UB. lol

Old
03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
HiddenInLight

There are driving ranges all over, not too far from lancaster is Hollidays bar which offers vollyball on a sand court all year round there is a place with batting cages and minigolf a little ways up transit, lasertron lasertag and gocarts in amherst.....lots of concerts at FNC and Darien Lake and other locations all summer long.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Thank you very much this'll help me. I like to go out and do stuff. and No, I'm gonna be a college student at UB. lol
Just curious, if you're going to UB, why live all the way out in Lancaster and not near the campus? (unless your entire family is moving)

Old
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
From Lancaster, it's 8-10 minutes to the Wehrle golf dome. There is also the indoor soccer facility over there.

Keep an eye out for the Buffalo News and also the Art Voice Festival Guide editions this spring as they will have plenty of things including the various free (and pay) concerts around town.

03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
There are driving ranges all over, not too far from lancaster is Hollidays bar which offers vollyball on a sand court all year round there is a place with batting cages and minigolf a little ways up transit, lasertron lasertag and gocarts in amherst.....lots of concerts at FNC and Darien Lake and other locations all summer long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Just curious, if you're going to UB, why live all the way out in Lancaster and not near the campus? (unless your entire family is moving)
Entire family. Live for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
From Lancaster, it's 8-10 minutes to the Wehrle golf dome. There is also the indoor soccer facility over there.

Keep an eye out for the Buffalo News and also the Art Voice Festival Guide editions this spring as they will have plenty of things including the various free (and pay) concerts around town.
Thank you guys for letting me know, very grateful. Coming up in 10-11 days to check out the house we are gonna close on, and drive around town a bit.
Again, thank you guys

Old
03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Denzil
NOLU

Following on from the previous poster, my wife and I are probably relocating to the area since she got accepted to the University at Buffalo - so we're looking for decent places on a budget (we're just poor folk and students!), that have decent transit links since neither of us drive.

Thanks!

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Guys, I have extra special news. I got my letter of acceptance to UB

Old
03-20-2012, 08:36 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Guys, I have extra special news. I got my letter of acceptance to UB
does this mean that you are now a Sabres fan !?!

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
does this mean that you are now a Sabres fan !?!

Lol dude xD I like Buffalo, always have since the side of my family that I like likes is from the Buffalo area. I cheer them on every year

Old
03-27-2012, 11:34 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I actually kind of miss Canal Fest.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I actually kind of miss Canal Fest.
My friend told me that there was some sort of huge brawl that happened last Canal Fest. Is it like that or no?

Old
05-17-2012, 11:29 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Quote:

BTW I am NOT trolling... I am moving, and I spend time in WNY, just not enough to know.
While Lancaster is a pretty urbanized town, it's still a suburb of Buffalo, and a small one at that. Maybe folks who've lived here longer than me will want to correct me, but especially during the summer you're gonna want to make the trip downtown to take advantage of the cool stuff going on in Buffalo. Food festivals, concerts in the Square, awesome shopping in ethnic neighborhoods that you won't find in Lancaster (I suggest Grant-Ferry and Elmwood Village for window-shopping/strolling/time killing)

However, there are no John & Mary's in the city, while you've got one in Lancaster. Jim's Steak Out is no substitute. Get yourself a Chicken Finger sub from J&M.

Also, welcome to the Buffalo chapter of the Rangers-Fans-in-Exhile club . I'm a grad student at UB so if you have any questions about the campus or anything shoot me a message.

Last edited by DonCherrysSuit: 05-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
For anyone local, there will be another Sabres Store sale on June 22 (aka draft party day); 42% off your purchase:
Quote:
The Sabres Store will be offering fans a discount of 42 percent off their entire purchase during the draft party. Doors to the Sabres Store will open at 4 p.m. so fans can take advantage of the special sale commemorating the teamís upcoming 42nd season in the NHL.

Link: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=633741

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Superhero

Don't forget to get loganberry drink and sponge candy at web mans or tops while you are here.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Don't forget to get loganberry drink and sponge candy at web mans or tops while you are here.
Wegmans.

And yes, tis delicious.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:35 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Ehrhoff shirt?

Trying to figure out if there are any stores in Buffalo area where they would ship an Ehrhoff shirt? Can't seem to find any online. Thanks!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Hey whats up everyone, I'm planning on coming up from Long Island next month to catch a couple games and had few questions before I make the trip...

-I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown which it says is about a mile away from the arena is there any good bars/restaurants in the area that we could frequent while on the trip?

-I was thinking about making a trip across the border at one point. Problem: I don't have a passport, does anyone have any experience with an enhanced drivers license? It seems like it would be a quicker/cheaper option.. Does that allow me to enter Canada and return to the USA just like a passport?

-What time do the bars close up/last call up there?

-Any cool food places/sights I should definitely check out while we are up there?

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote