HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders @ Rangers - 3/11/2012

View Poll Results: Who are your three stars?
Brad Richards 146 90.68%
Al Trautwig 72 44.72%
Marian Gaborik 123 76.40%
Henrik Lundqvist 6 3.73%
Ryan McDonagh 18 11.18%
Brian Boyle 12 7.45%
Anton Stralman 5 3.11%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Derek Stepan 2 1.24%
Artem Anisimov 1 0.62%
Mats Zuccarello 52 32.30%
Brandon Prust 1 0.62%
Ruslan Fedotenko 0 0%
Steve Eminger 0 0%
Mike Rupp 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
I thought Zucc played GREAT. The powerplay has a completely different feel with him on it.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
The whole Lundqvist thing is getting me very nervous. No he didnt have a terrible game, 1 breakaway, and one crappy bounce, but you can just tell he hasn't looked the same like he did earlier in the season.

Hopefully he snaps out of it soon.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Not playing Zuc over Scott at this point would be nothing short of a travesty
100% Agree. If Torts has any logic in his head he'll realize that also. I was at the game and it was so awesome to watch our team come from behind and tie it up 3 times... and then go on to win it. Our offense was there, we outshot the islanders like hell. The only drawback I noticed was the D being a tad shaky, and our passing still isn't at the level it should be. Get our passes nice and crisp and we're back to being a dangerous team, especially if Richards plays like that. Man he was huge tonight.

Oh yeah, and Zucc looked fine for his first game back. Didn't make any glaring mistakes, and made some nice plays when he was out there. Keep him for a while.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that RIDICULOUS bounce that led to the Islander's second goal... wow! If it was maybe 2 inches higher it would have hit the netting and been out of play... I was so pissed! Nothing Lundy could've done bout that one though. I was so hoping he would rob that dude that scored on the breakaway, but hey, even the King isn't invincible.

Last edited by Fanned On It: 03-12-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Forgot something!
Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:49 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I was at the game so I'm confused as to why Trautwig is in the poll. What did he do?
Third assist on Gabs GWG.

He interviewed Gabs between periods and stated that whomever he interviews between periods scores a goal.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Fanned On It

Oh and I read that some of you think Dubi had a good game tonight... but from where I was sitting me and my dad both agreed that he looked lost and not confident in himself tonight. He had a couple good seconds up against the boards but he also made some stupid passes and just kinda looked off like he has..

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:17 AM
mrhockey193195

With regards to the PAP play...I always thought it was so dumb that (even though it's not in the rule book) no blood generally means 2 minutes and blood means 4 minutes on a high stick. Such a negligible detail that has nothing to do with how bad the high stick was. You can flat out rock a guy with a high stick and not draw blood, and a little tap to the mouth or nose can draw blood. I think the NHL should revise their de facto rule and make it so that high sticks are based on the severity of the infraction only.

That being said, I'm sure it hurt like hell but IMO PAP milked that big time.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:14 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Sam sounded just like Harry Caray (RIP) when Gabby scored in OT. Same voice. Miss that ole guy. I remember way back when he used to broadcast White Sox games and get schlosched before the 7th inning stretch drinking loads of Falstaff beer. You could hear him popping them open. Too funny. Later he became a Cub announcer and a Bud Man...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:22 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Epic Sam Rosen call tonight...

"SCORE!..... SCORE!!!"

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:12 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

No Hagelin = poll fail.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Ola

The man, the myth, the Mats!

Mats-sanity!

Mats of the match, or Mats of the Mats! '

Mats over, Fishsticks!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:31 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

when i saw this, I immediately had to update my avatar. I didn't know what it was gonna be but it turned into this
<-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:40 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
IMHO, Brian Boyle was the key to the PP working.
I think him screening goaltenders was a big factor but Zuke's passing and creativity also contributed a lot to the overall opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The man, the myth, the Mats!

Mats-sanity!

Mats of the match, or Mats of the Mats! '

Mats over, Fishsticks!
Mats a Wrap!
An Early ChristMats

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:03 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
when i saw this, I immediately had to update my avatar. I didn't know what it was gonna be but it turned into this
<-------------
there needs to be a bigger version of your avatar so i can save it on my computer. so priceless

the PP looked awesome last night. it was so nice to see someone moving around through the slot, trying to cause a diversion. and those passes from Zucc? beautiful stuff.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are 4-0-1 in the games Callahan has missed since getting hurt 2 weeks ago. They are 0-3 in the games he has played in since the injury. Very similar to Messier in 92 against Pitt. He suffered a rib injury against NJ. He played game 1 in pain. The Rangers lost. Messier couldn't play in games 2 and 3. The Rangers won. Graves gets suspended for the rest of the series. Messier returns and the Rangers lose 3 straight. Callahan shouldn't return unless he is 110%.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
<-------------
gaborik has a freaky tongue. yuk

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

It pains me to no end that people could think having a guy like Boyle in front of the net was the difference on the PP.

As if goalies are 6'5" but that extra 2 inches totally blocks their view. They're looking at the ice, not 6 feet up in the air. Zuccarello could screen a goalie just as much. It's not like Boyle is four feet wide. Yes, he did a good job in front, but any player in that position SHOULD do a good job, because it's the easiest job on the ice at that point.

The whole "park a guy in front for the entire powerplay, regardless of where the puck is" is a complete misjudgment on the coaching and players behalfs. All it does is essentially forfeit the extra man as a legit passing option, and makes it incredibly easy on the penalty killers.

The difference was Richards actually made a conscious decision to SHOOT THE PUCK. What a concept, eh? He took shots at the right time, and he was moving all over the place looking for a lane. Zuccarello had one really nice touch pass on one of the entries, but I was also wishing he would've shot the puck when he passed over to Gaborik at a worse angle, who then turned it over which led to McDonalds breakaway.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
IMHO, Brian Boyle was the key to the PP working.
Really? We scored three on the PP. One Richie went coast to coast and the third one Boyle wasn't on the ice. So, because Richie picked a corner on the second goal and Boyle was in front of the net he is the key? I would say Brad Richards' play tonight (2 G and 1 A) was the key. Did you notice that after the first PP when Boyle didn't take his regular shift that Dubi, Feds, and Prust not only cycled the puck but actually moved it to the front for a couple of prime scoring chances. Look what happens to that line when you remove the albatross.

Boyle does not help to enter the zone, he doesn't move the puck well in the zone and he doesn't shoot the puck well. If anything Zucc was the difference tonight aside from Richie's better play.

Some people will do anything to prop up the legend of Brian Boyle. He stood in front of Nabakov on one goal on the PP. And that was the difference? Funny.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
As if goalies are 6'5" but that extra 2 inches totally blocks their view. They're looking at the ice, not 6 feet up in the air. Zuccarello could screen a goalie just as much. It's not like Boyle is four feet wide. Yes, he did a good job in front, but any player in that position SHOULD do a good job, because it's the easiest job on the ice at that point.
If the goalie is lookign always at the ice, then every shot from the point would get through. There is a reason why midgets like Zuccarello do not get in front of goalies.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
So, because Richie picked a corner on the second goal and Boyle was in front of the net he is the key? I would say Brad Richards' play tonight (2 G and 1 A) was the key.
Did he or did he not score when being on a PP and in front of the goalie?

Not sure that Boyle was the "key", but let's not disparage just becuase you do not like him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Some people will do anything to prop up the legend of Brian Boyle. He stood in front of Nabakov on one goal on the PP. And that was the difference? Funny.
And people like you will find a way to knock him every single time because you don't like him. He was a key factor on the second goal and scored the third goal. It worked last night, get over it.

03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

BR was a force. End of story. He had a ton of chances and created a ton as well. He even surprised Staal with a brilliant between the legs pass in the third. Staal had no clue it was coming, if he was he could've stepped into a one-timer.
Big win but it'll mean nothing if they don't tighten up defensively. Yeah a couple of goals were fluky but the chances were there anyway... Especially the breakaway.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If the goalie is lookign always at the ice, then every shot from the point would get through. There is a reason why midgets like Zuccarello do not get in front of goalies.
Sure, and that reason is because it's harder for defensemen to move Boyles than Zuccarellos, not to mention the Zuccarellos are more skilled so they're actually making plays instead of just standing in front of the net. Small guys are often creating screens just the same. ANYONE can be a screen. How in the name of newborn baby Jesus do Boyle's few extra inches at the top of his head affect a goalie who is 5'11" like Nabakov? You think if Boyle was only 6'3" then Nabakov would be standing on his tiptoes looking over him to make saves? Seriously, it's as if some of you watch a different sport.

I love when people take things out of context and harp on them and play semantics. No, really, I do.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
The whole Lundqvist thing is getting me very nervous. No he didnt have a terrible game, 1 breakaway, and one crappy bounce, but you can just tell he hasn't looked the same like he did earlier in the season.

Hopefully he snaps out of it soon.
Yeah I am a bit worried too. 16 saves on 19 shots...not good.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
And people like you will find a way to knock him every single time because you don't like him. He was a key factor on the second goal and scored the third goal. It worked last night, get over it.
Yes, but there's a "humungous big" difference between something working one night and "being the key to the PP."

According to Inferno, we've finally unlocked the key to the missing link to PP success and it's Brian Boyle standing in front of the net!

If John Scott scored on his breakaway the other night, would the key to our offense be trying to hit Scott in stride at the blue line?

People see something work once, even a few times, and they feel this need to cement it into some prolific key to success. Boyle had a good game, but to say that he was the key to the powerplay suggests that he's doing something that Callahan hasn't, when all he did was stand in front of the net with his stick on the ice. That's HIS JOB. I'm happy for him that he was rewarded, because he's a hard worker and I'm sure he'd like to replicate last year's goal scoring stats, but Brian Boyle is NOT the key to the powerplay. Brad Richards is. Zuccarello might be another strong option there, but it's too early to say one way or another.

Stop with the blanket statements for everything that happens.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
It pains me to no end that people could think having a guy like Boyle in front of the net was the difference on the PP.

The whole "park a guy in front for the entire powerplay, regardless of where the puck is" is a complete misjudgment on the coaching and players behalfs. All it does is essentially forfeit the extra man as a legit passing option, and makes it incredibly easy on the penalty killers.
You're obviously not a goalie.

To say that parking a guy in front of the net doesn't help is just flat out wrong.

But to say that parking Zuccarello is essentially the same thing as putting Boyle in front of the next is wrong on so many levels.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote