HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Tom Wilson - Plymouth Whalers, OHL (Washington Capitals)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  #26
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Big power forward type that is smart and can handle the puck. Average skater. I asked him who he models his game after and he said: Milan Lucic. I would say at this point he is a step behind prospects like G. Smith, Laughton, and Maidens, I would say 40-60 as a reasonable prediction.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 12:17 AM
  #27
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Busted knuckle for Wilson will keep him out three weeks.

Suffered the injury while fighting Dalton Thrower at the Top Prospects Game.

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 07:50 AM
  #28
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
I can easily see Lombardi picking this player in the 1st round. He's a beast on the ice. I compare him to Wayne Simmonds and Kyle Clifford, maybe more like Simmer.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
  #29
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Kyle Woodlief described his upside as "Ethan Moreau in his prime."

Character player with good two-way, physical game, not going to score a ton, but will play in the NHL in some capacity.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
  #30
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Looks like he stock may have jumped more in some peoples eyes. Still don't think he has good enough offensive potential for a Top 25 pick.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:53 PM
  #31
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Well Ethan Moreau was a first-round pick too, I guess..

puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 07:49 AM
  #32
Dr.Sens(e)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Kyle Woodlief described his upside as "Ethan Moreau in his prime."

Character player with good two-way, physical game, not going to score a ton, but will play in the NHL in some capacity.
Well, Moreau was a dominant offensive player in the OHL, even in his draft year, where he had 44 goals and almost 100 points. Higher scoring back then, but still. That was right up there with the 1st round talents who weren't tough.

Just looking at the numbers, he looks like a fraction of that type of talent, although perhaps there are some skills that just emerging. Seems more likely to be destined as a Jared Boll than Lucic, or even a Moreau.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  #33
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, Moreau was a dominant offensive player in the OHL, even in his draft year, where he had 44 goals and almost 100 points. Higher scoring back then, but still. That was right up there with the 1st round talents who weren't tough.

Just looking at the numbers, he looks like a fraction of that type of talent, although perhaps there are some skills that just emerging. Seems more likely to be destined as a Jared Boll than Lucic, or even a Moreau.
Well, strictly referring to Moreau's game in the NHL.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
  #34
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, Moreau was a dominant offensive player in the OHL, even in his draft year, where he had 44 goals and almost 100 points. Higher scoring back then, but still. That was right up there with the 1st round talents who weren't tough.

Just looking at the numbers, he looks like a fraction of that type of talent, although perhaps there are some skills that just emerging. Seems more likely to be destined as a Jared Boll than Lucic, or even a Moreau.
This is what concerns me with Wilson. Even guys who carved out careers as simply "3rd or 4th line grinders" in the NHL tended to put up numbers in junior; those stats simply didn't translate to the NHL level. Wilson, however, isn't even putting up good numbers in the OHL.

When I think of recent powerforwards drafted high with a nasty streak, I think of a guy like Zack Kassian. He actually put up good point totals in junior, to go along with his physical skillset. While it's still to be determined how productive he can be at the NHL level, at the very least he's proven that he's offensively gifted enough to produce well in junior.

I'm always skeptical of seeing players with low offensive totals being taken high. Sure, they could always pull a Milan Lucic, but I think he's more the exception than the rule.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 01:45 PM
  #35
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
This is what concerns me with Wilson. Even guys who carved out careers as simply "3rd or 4th line grinders" in the NHL tended to put up numbers in junior; those stats simply didn't translate to the NHL level. Wilson, however, isn't even putting up good numbers in the OHL.

When I think of recent powerforwards drafted high with a nasty streak, I think of a guy like Zack Kassian. He actually put up good point totals in junior, to go along with his physical skillset. While it's still to be determined how productive he can be at the NHL level, at the very least he's proven that he's offensively gifted enough to produce well in junior.

I'm always skeptical of seeing players with low offensive totals being taken high. Sure, they could always pull a Milan Lucic, but I think he's more the exception than the rule.
Sometimes, players are taken high for reasons aside from scoring goals. A true shutdown center is as valuable to a good team as a big point-getter, even if you're only getting a 15-20 goal guy.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
  #36
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Sometimes, players are taken high for reasons aside from scoring goals. A true shutdown center is as valuable to a good team as a big point-getter, even if you're only getting a 15-20 goal guy.
Right, I understand that. But even in your situation, the guy can chip in around 15 to 20 goals to go along with the other things he brings to the table.

It's like with my example of Zack Kassian. Offensively speaking, he didn't put up the same kind of totals as some of the other guys in his draft class who were drafted for their offense. But he still put up respectable numbers to go along with his physical package. So even if he turns into that 15-20 goal bruiser, and not the 30 goal scorer someone from his draft class becomes, the offense is close enough that his physical game offsets the difference.

With Wilson, we're talking about a guy that hasn't even proven he could be that 15 goal guy to go along with a physical presence. And that's a huge thing. It's the difference between a David Clarkson or a Milan Lucic, and a Jared Boll or a Mike Rupp.

To reiterate, I'm not saying it's an impossibility that Wilson will end up being a good pick. He very well could become the next Milan Lucic. I'm simply saying that I'm always a little worried when I see such low offensive production from a guy at the junior level, even if his game isn't necessarily all about the goals and assists.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  #37
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Right, I understand that. But even in your situation, the guy can chip in around 15 to 20 goals to go along with the other things he brings to the table.

It's like with my example of Zack Kassian. Offensively speaking, he didn't put up the same kind of totals as some of the other guys in his draft class who were drafted for their offense. But he still put up respectable numbers to go along with his physical package. So even if he turns into that 15-20 goal bruiser, and not the 30 goal scorer someone from his draft class becomes, the offense is close enough that his physical game offsets the difference.

With Wilson, we're talking about a guy that hasn't even proven he could be that 15 goal guy to go along with a physical presence. And that's a huge thing. It's the difference between a David Clarkson or a Milan Lucic, and a Jared Boll or a Mike Rupp.

To reiterate, I'm not saying it's an impossibility that Wilson will end up being a good pick. He very well could become the next Milan Lucic. I'm simply saying that I'm always a little worried when I see such low offensive production from a guy at the junior level, even if his game isn't necessarily all about the goals and assists.
Let's be fair. Plymouth is stacked and a guy like Wilson won't get prime time over some of their other players.

Kassian got kind of lucky playing for a terrible team, so he'd get a lot of ice-time.

I'm not convinced Wilson, at this time, isn't as good as Kassian was at the same time in his draft year.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM
  #38
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Let's be fair. Plymouth is stacked and a guy like Wilson won't get prime time over some of their other players.

Kassian got kind of lucky playing for a terrible team, so he'd get a lot of ice-time.

I'm not convinced Wilson, at this time, isn't as good as Kassian was at the same time in his draft year.
From someone who saw a lot of Kassian in his draft year, they weren't even close to being in the same league offensively.

Kassian was better in every single offensive area, save skating ability. His issue was inconsistency offensively, as one game he'd look like a monster, carrying the puck and showing off very good offensive skills, the next he'd be somewhat invisible offensively.

Wilson has a long ways to go offensively.

And yes, Plymouth is stacked. But Wilson sees lots of ice time. 5 on 5, he plays with Mitchell Heard and J.T. Miller and he does see powerplay time (although not as much as some other guys on the team). But he's on the ice a lot. So that can't be used as an excuse for his lack of offensive production.

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  #39
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,775
vCash: 820
Had this in another thread, but it should be in the offical Wilson thread...


And I still don't understand all the love for Tom Wilson from some of the scouting sites. Guy is nothing more then a 3rd liner at best. People become enamoured with these big thugs and think that they are the next Ryan Clowe or Lucic.

Not with this kids hockey sense and hands. He wont get away with steamrolling kids in teh NHL either.

He's got 1/2 the talent that Kassian has, and even he is no sure bet to be a top 6 guy...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:21 PM
  #40
PKSpecialist
Registered User
 
PKSpecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Everything I have heard of Tom Wilson makes me think of Brett Leffler. I was a Regina Pats season ticket holder and saw Brett Leffler a ton, and though he was only six feet, he was a power forward in the dub. He crashed, banged and got a lot of chances, but he had one problem.....STONE HANDS. He just couldn't put the puck in the net, and that probably was the difference between making the NHL as a grinder and ending up playing in the CIS.

Hopefully for Wilson's sake he learns to put the puck in the net.

PKSpecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM
  #41
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,606
vCash: 500
Everyone has a huge hard on for uncovering the next Lucic. Anyone with the physical aspects of a power forward will draw attention; especially in a draft that is heavily weighted in D for the first round. Someone will take a flyer on this kid early; especially a team that isn't looking to add any more D to their prospect cupboard. It's up to Wilson to see if he sneaks into the first round or gets taken in the first half of the second round.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
  #42
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Wilson scored a real nice goal yesterday. typical power forward goal

http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/2012/03...ound-2012.html

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
  #43
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,741
vCash: 500
Being a first round pick means you have a great chance at being an NHL player. It DOES NOT mean that you have a good chance at being a great NHL player. Even third and fourth lines are filled with former first round picks. Let's look at my Phoenix Coyotes as an example.

Top thirty picks having skates for Phoenix this season:

1. Shane Doan
2. Daymond Langkow
3. Ray Whitney
4. Martin Hanzal
5. Lauri Korpikoski
6. Mikkel Boedker
7. Gilbert Brule
8. Raffi Torres
9. Boys Gordon
10. Taylor Pyatt
11. Kyle Chipchura
12. Marc Pouliot
13. Patteri Nokelainen
14. Kyle Turris

15. Rusty Klesla
16. Derek Morris
17. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
18. David Rundblad
19. Chris Summers

That's just this season. Some good players there, but mostly just role players.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
  #44
hawksfan50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,829
vCash: 500
LUCIC also did not have great numbers in his draft year --and went 50th --not 1st round....Another comparable might be DAVID BACKES in the big physical tough hitter
"type" --also was a LATE 2nd 62nd pick--comp picks then extended his draft...

SO the question is not that big tough physcial forwards who acan also fight cAN"T develop some scoring eventually but rather WHY is WILSO a first rounder this tear on SOME LISTS and still a 30's guy on other lists (at least first third of 2nd round)? The answer is: IT IS A WEAK DRAFT (BRIAN BURKE) -so there is a premium on anyone who MIGHT turn into a LUCIC or a BACKES and change the very identity of your team if you have one of these rare types who can actually impact a game...THUS WILSON and a guy like STEFAN MATTEAU will go higher than their numbers suggest,,,,


THE MYSTERY is then--why isn't LUKAS SUTTER -who sHOULD be even more valuable as a CENTRE not a winger --who also hits the tough physical hitter-fighter check boxes but ALSO is terrific at FACE-OFFS, good defensively,and has a good shot--PLUS the proven SUTTER "character" bloodlines of INTENSITY--why is he not a first rounder on most lists--not even a 2nd rounder on some? THIS IS SHEER CRAZINESS ---he really should be a first rounder even if only projects as 3rd line shutdown centre who will score some goals and WIN key face-offs --and who may be NHL ready right after his draft ---sure he isn't a great skater -but he's already improved his speed over last year and it can be further improved ...but add up the whole package and teams would be crazy to bypass him to take a pokey long -shot on a MAYBE guy once you get past the teens in this WEAK DRAFT (per Brian Burke) ....so MAYBE a WISLON or a MATTEAU turn into LUCIC or BACKES --but maybe not --but SUTTER probably is a safe bet to add a lot of the same elements
--just at centre PLUS win you face-offsand shutdown top lines ..HOw can you turn down the chance to add that kind of value? I don't get it-it stares you in the face like a sore thumb and these bozos calling themselves scouting orgs can't put 2+2 together --instead they are projecting maybes when certainty is right before them and they are blind to it. They are tantalized by upside that may never manifest as pros to a very safe bet on a very useful "part" to have on a team even if only on the 3rd line.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
  #45
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,295
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Being a first round pick means you have a great chance at being an NHL player. It DOES NOT mean that you have a good chance at being a great NHL player. Even third and fourth lines are filled with former first round picks. Let's look at my Phoenix Coyotes as an example.

Top thirty picks having skates for Phoenix this season:

1. Shane Doan
2. Daymond Langkow
3. Ray Whitney
4. Martin Hanzal
5. Lauri Korpikoski
6. Mikkel Boedker
7. Gilbert Brule
8. Raffi Torres
9. Boys Gordon
10. Taylor Pyatt
11. Kyle Chipchura
12. Marc Pouliot
13. Patteri Nokelainen
14. Kyle Turris

15. Rusty Klesla
16. Derek Morris
17. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
18. David Rundblad
19. Chris Summers

That's just this season. Some good players there, but mostly just role players.
Exactly. A guy like Nick Foligno is a pretty good pick for late in the 1st round.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  #46
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, Moreau was a dominant offensive player in the OHL, even in his draft year, where he had 44 goals and almost 100 points. Higher scoring back then, but still. That was right up there with the 1st round talents who weren't tough.

Just looking at the numbers, he looks like a fraction of that type of talent, although perhaps there are some skills that just emerging. Seems more likely to be destined as a Jared Boll than Lucic, or even a Moreau.
Or perhaps a slower, saner Ben Eager?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
  #47
Koekkoek4U
Anthony Eclair
 
Koekkoek4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
From what I've seen of him, I think he'll make it in the first round but make it out either like a less scoring Ryan Callahan OR Colby Armstrong. He'll probably fall somewhere around the likes of St. Louis or Vancouver and I say that because this kid leads the team. He may not be a leading scorer but he gets the team pumped and St Louis needs a guy like that. Don't get me wrong, the Blues are a great team I actually really like their style of play and great effort and I think they need someone to get them more motivated because right now, I seriously believe that Elliott is saving their ass. When Elliott starts falling though, he trys to do better. But I noticed after he tries and tries he starts to lose endurance and sort of gives up. If St Louis was more motivated and scored more, they'd be an even better team and a leader is all they need.

In addition to that being said, think about Tarasenko coming into the NHL next year. Great scorer and good addition to St Louis. Wilson comes in a year after and they have a great team. All they need is a reliable goaltender because Elliott won't be saving their ass next year looking at past records.

So, in conclusion, Wilson is a good puck mover, a great motivater, and a hard hitter. If he gets on to a team like St Louis or Winnepeg or another team that needs a well disciplined player, he may be big in the NHL. If not he'll wind up like Armstrong or Brian Boyle or Darren Helm.

Koekkoek4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:53 PM
  #48
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
I like Wilson a lot but with his limited offensive potential I wouldn't wanto to take a guy who projects to be a 3rd liner in the first round. Sure it's possible he is the next Lucic but like people have been saying, Lucic is the exception to the rule.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
  #49
SiCKNESS
Registered User
 
SiCKNESS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,348
vCash: 500
Thomas Wilson

What do you guys think of him?

I could really see Canucks dealing Schneider for a top 15 pick and possibly more.

Then Drafting a Defense man with the top 15 Pick
Then Drafting Wilson with their pick..

Imagine Kassian + Wilson in a few years, destructive duo.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
  #50
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,300
vCash: 500

Thomas Wilson (in red)
RW / RHS | 6'4 / 203
29-Mar-94 Toronto, Ontario

PHP Code:
 Season            Team        League    GP    G    A    TP    PIM            Postseason    GP    G    A    TP    PIM 
 2010
-2011     Plymouth Whalers     OHL    28    3    3    6    71    |                               
              
Canada Ontario U17    WHC-17    4    0    1    1    6    |                               
 
2011-2012     Plymouth Whalers     OHL    49    9    18    27    141    |     Playoffs    2    0    0    0    8 

TSN's Grant McCagg:
Turned heads at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tournament last summer with his energetic, physical play, but then struggled to produce offensively at the start of the OHL season.

Strengths: One of the more rugged prospects in the draft, loves to throw his weight around, and not afraid to drop the gloves. Strong, decent straight ahead skater, competitive, works hard at both ends of the ice.

Weaknesses: Won't ever put up offensive numbers, has limited offensive skills, average hands, poor puck skills, below average agility.

NHL upside: Has the size and toughness along with straight ahead speed to be a regular lower-line NHL player with a physical presence.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.