HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 03:51 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yeah that's smart.

"Haha, posers! Look at how much better we are now that we drafted Gaunce!"
as smart as cheering against "your" team ?

Old
03-12-2012, 08:12 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
How is this a DIFFICULT concept to understand.

We are CHEERING FOR our team by CHEERING FOR the best possible outcome that IMPROVES the FUTURE of our team.

You are CHEERING FOR our team to gain points and have a WORSE draft pick which likely gets us a WORSE prospect.

Our approach is short-term pain for LONG term gain.
Your approach is short-term gratification that prolongs LONG term pain.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

We are CHEERING FOR our team by CHEERING FOR the best possible outcome that IMPROVES the FUTURE of our team.

You are CHEERING FOR our team to gain points and have a WORSE draft pick which likely gets us a WORSE prospect.

Nicely put. A little short term pain never killed anybody. Only the players should be against it. Since we cant sign allstars, we are so close to getting one now. What we went through this season, i never want to feel again. As a season ticket holder, those long drives home after each loss, i do not want to go through again. 13 more games then we can get ready for a better season!

Old
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal4Life View Post
Nicely put. A little short term pain never killed anybody. Only the players should be against it. Since we cant sign allstars, we are so close to getting one now. What we went through this season, i never want to feel again. As a season ticket holder, those long drives home after each loss, i do not want to go through again. 13 more games then we can get ready for a better season!
Exactly. I never want to go through a season like this again. To have to go through it and not have the consolation of a top 5 pick and a blue chip prospect; the season couldn't be worse.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:31 AM
HeShootsHeScores

I love it when my team scores. I hate it when other team scores.

1 + 1 = I want my team to win because more happiness.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I love it when my team scores. I hate it when other team scores.

1 + 1 = I want my team to win because more happiness.
Yet we're a team with a losing record = you are getting less happiness per season than you would if we move forward with an elite prospect.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
I am actually going to watch the game tonight.
I am really excited about our power play and the way Subban, Patches and Price are playing.
Wouldnt of said that a week ago.

Markov is so smooth out there and so smart.
I am excited about the draft but more excited about next year.

Going to be a long summer.........but that is good.

GO HABS GO!!!

Old
03-12-2012, 08:50 AM
PricePkPatch

And now, I pin y fantasy league hopes on Subban, Markov and Patch to be productive until the end of the year.. Come on guys!!

Old
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

Really agree with this, its rly not that hard to understand people, were not traitors, were optimists!

Old
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
habshound247

I am glad to see Markov back and playing. But I don't understand why management would opt to let him start his season now? Coming off 2 back to back major knee injuries and with the playoffs seemingly out of reach, why wouldn't they just let him rehab instead of risking yet another injury?

At first look, I wonder if Timmins has a forward and defenseman ranked the same on draft day, they will now focus on the forward because of Markov's return?

Old
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
I am glad to see Markov back and playing. But I don't understand why management would opt to let him start his season now? Coming off 2 back to back major knee injuries and with the playoffs seemingly out of reach, why wouldn't they just let him rehab instead of risking yet another injury?

At first look, I wonder if Timmins has a forward and defenseman ranked the same on draft day, they will now focus on the forward because of Markov's return?
It's because we want to see if Markov can play next season, otherwise we're going into the dark hoping he'll be back to his best.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Cheering for the tank actually reduces short term pain too. The fact this season is a waste doesn't hurt as much. Losses, which is what this team brings more often than not, don't bring disappointment since we know it's helping us get closer to improving the prospect pool tenfold.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Cheering for the tank actually reduces short term pain too. The fact this season is a waste doesn't hurt as much. Losses, which is what this team brings more often than not, don't bring disappointment since we know it's helping us get closer to improving the prospect pool tenfold.
That is a very good point. I still smile and pump my fist when they score (its a habit, what can I say ) But hey, I'm a hell of a lot less depressed after a loss. I'm playing a new game now. Which teams need to win and which teams need lose. Need Edmonton, Islanders, Minnisota and Carolina to win. I also want Toronto to win, they are getting dangerously close to a top 5 pick lol. 2012-2013 will be a much better year

Old
03-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

You're wasting your time with that guy and his silly emoticon filled one-liner posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If tanking and getting top picks would work then the Oilers would lead the NHL.
RNH is 18 years old. Taylor Hall is 19. You don't think they'll get better? Who do you think is the best team in the league when they're actually healthy? If you said Pittsburgh Penguins... you'd be right.

Look, drafting high in and of itself won't win you a cup. But it sure as hell helps.

Pittsburgh, Chicago and Washington all drafted high and all assembled great teams. Two of them have won cups and the other seems to have fallen off the face of the earth with injuries and their main guy suddenly forgetting how to play hockey. Washington also got the shaft in 2005 btw. They should've got a top five pick but it was a one time lottery and drafted something like 14th. They actually should've been the ones to get Price that year. We're the ones who should've been getting a mid round pick.

I think in a few years Edmonton is going to be a good team. The Oilers have terrible management and the best thing they can do is get a new GM. If they do that, they'll be in good shape with the talent they'll have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I think that having a positive season ending might do more for the team spirit and future then getting a 3rd overall instead of a 7th. But that's my opinion.
I think a superstar would do more for us getting a cup and we're more likely to get one with a top 3 pick. As for team spirit... personally I think a cup would do more for team spriit than finishing 23rd this season but hey... that's just me.

A cup Smells Like Team Spirit to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I think we're gonna package our overall top 5 pick with one or more of these 2nd's we've gotten from the trades, for the overall top 1 or 2 if we don't get it in the lottery.

That would be truly sweet.
It would, but I don't see it happening. And who in their right mind would deal away the 1st overall for our 5th and a 2nd? No way that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
I'm with you here.

If we had Markov all year like we all expected :

- Jacques Martin would still be the coach
- Cammalleri would still be a Habs and looking at another 30 goals season
- Subban would have 15+ goals
- Gill and Kostitsyn would still be in Montreal
- Kaberle would still be in Rutherford's nightmares
- Diaz would be the leading scorer in Hamilton and we would all hype him like he's the next super star.
- And most of all, Habs fan would be cheering for the division title instead of the stupid "fail for nail". And they would set their BBQ ready for another crazy run in the playoffs.

Markov is indeed that good. His injury ruined the season. Now, I can't wait for next year, when he'll dominating this league again.
This was a tired excuse... LAST season. This season it's just pathetic. And I love how you throw in the "like we all expected"... yeah right.

Markov HAS been hurt. We've known he was hurt. We should've expected it this year. This is nothing but excuses and we shouldn't put up with this inevitable garbage from PG when the season is over and he whines about not having Markov.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-12-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Help
Send help

vCash: 50
Going into a game, and a while after the game I want my team to lose/am happy with the result of a loss. It's for the long term betterment of the team. That being said, during the game there's no way in hell I'm cheering against my team. I can and have tried, but to no avail, I always find myself jumping out of my seat when a Hab scores a goal or if Carey makes a fantastic save and I'm definitely a happy camper immediately after a win.

My head says Go Tank Go, my heart says otherwise. There's no doubt that losing games is the smart thing to do, but it can be an awfully difficult pill to swallow

Old
03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
While I think everyone would prefer picking 1st overall to 5th or 6th, none of us can control it. Maybe the leafs keep freefalling and end up where we are now. Are we supposed to have a losing competition? Of course I don't think any one is suggesting we should. But the point is, there is no reason to get upset about where we pick. I think we will have a reasonably high pick, but no one can guarantee that, and there is a chance we could climb out of even a top 7. So while we have had our hopes up about a top pick, we might wanna start accepting the reality that it might not happen.

Instead of kicking and screaming about how this will forever doom us to mediocrity, why don't we examine what our other best courses of action are.
Our best course of action was to sit Markov a while longer. That's why we did the opposite.

And btw, we've done things wrong for a long time now. We've been dragged to last place kicking and screaming all the while making sideways moves. Once it became apparent that we weren't a good team and were going to struggle for 8th, that's when we should've taken the long term view of dealing for the future and doing everything we could to accelerate a rebuild and get it over with. We didn't do that. We've made it as painful for ourselves as we possibly could and now we're doing the same thing to ourselves... again.
Quote:
Columbus is taking Yakupov. There's 1/4 gone.
Edmonton SHOULD select a D. But there's a chance they take a forward.
Islanders may take a D, but probably select a forward. 2/4 gone.
Carolina takes a forward 3/4.
Toronto takes a forward 4/4.
If by chance Islanders don't take a forward, Minnesota will.
If we select 5th then Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are probably gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
Going into a game, and a while after the game I want my team to lose/am happy with the result of a loss. It's for the long term betterment of the team. That being said, during the game there's no way in hell I'm cheering against my team. I can and have tried, but to no avail, I always find myself jumping out of my seat when a Hab scores a goal or if Carey makes a fantastic save and I'm definitely a happy camper immediately after a win.

My head says Go Tank Go, my heart says otherwise. There's no doubt that losing games is the smart thing to do, but it can be an awfully difficult pill to swallow
I'm the same way. Watching the game I'm cheering for us. But my head knows that losing is the best thing for us to do.

Like I said, our GM has done almost everything wrong this season. And he's continued that tradition by bringing back Markov now. It made very little sense to do this from a longterm perspective. But, he needs to save face and have an excuse for next seasons so...

Old
03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Cheering against "my" team? Well, that's just as double-plus-ungood as you can get.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

I still know people who want them to win even if they say I don't mind finishing 9th let's win. Those same people are the ones that keep saying, how come we don't have a great young forward like that on our team

Old
03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Exactly. I never want to go through a season like this again. To have to go through it and not have the consolation of a top 5 pick and a blue chip prospect; the season couldn't be worse.
There is varied opinions about the strength of this draft, you have to open yourself to the possibility this draft won't have Stamkos type impact, and we may be having these same conversations again next year.

Especially if Gauthier is still at the helm, which will all but ensure we get more Bourque/Kaberle style trades.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
GoHomez

Spoilt NHL fans!
In real sports, mediocrity is rewarded with relegation.
Yeah, there, I said it. My favorite SEL team is playing the relegation series fighting for their lives to remain in the top league.
There is no silver lining, no high draft pick to look forward to. Losing means death. Say goodbye to ~50-75% of your budget, lose all but 2-3 players, ride the bus in the "AHL" next season...

Old
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Spoilt NHL fans!
Yeah, there, I said it. My favorite SEL team is playing the relegation series fighting for their lives to remain in the top league.
There is no silver lining, no high draft pick to look forward to. Losing means death. Say goodbye to ~50-75% of your budget, lose all but 2-3 players, ride the bus in the "AHL" next season...
It'd be more fitting to say "In European leagues...". The model that sees high draft picks going to teams in the bottom of the standings is followed universally in all major North American sports leagues. Different strokes...

Old
03-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Andy

I hope Montreal can pull out a similar win in Buffalo tonight.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Spoilt NHL fans!
I'm all for an academy system for the NHL. Bring it in.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
It'd be more fitting to say "In European leagues...". The model that sees high draft picks going to teams in the bottom of the standings is followed universally in all major North American sports leagues. Different strokes...
Yeah I know, that was obviously ... not to be taken too seriously.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I hope Montreal can pull out a similar win in Buffalo tonight.
A-****ing -men! They've learned enough about losing as it is.

Losing to get an unproven prospect is daft. All you're doing is teaching the kids we have now that it's OK to lose - that there are rewards to losing? **** that!

Win or lose honourably.

Closed Thread