HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BOB vs. BRYZ (Game-By-Game Comparison)

Old
03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
here's the Boyle save. this is what we need. confidence.
Seeing this again, it is inexplicable how Simmonds just drifts toward Boyle without any urgency.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:02 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Seeing this again, it is inexplicable how Simmonds just drifts toward Boyle without any urgency.
Yea that is pretty gross he watches it all unfold...

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs WAS 3/4

maybe his best as a Flyer, but rarely was hung out to dry by the team .. kinda goes hand in hand

still a few times that I didn't like the way he didn't recover / reposition after the initial save .. just seemed to be waiting for something to happen, perhaps a Flyers clear, but I'd rather he re-position immediately.

amazing how much better he looks when the team plays better D, and doesn't come out in the 3rd flat ... better team effort

some good stick work, very few fumbled rebounds [if any]

good break-away effort. his movement was great, noticeably better since the WC. they really oughtta give him every start

i'd rate this game 93 out of 100

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

since the flu: Bryz 8 starts; 5-2 w/ND ... 2.48, .905

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
This goal will probably not go in 90% of the time on a goalie that has the ability to push side to side from a butterfly position (like Lundqvist, Price, Pavelec, etc).
do not agree. goalies cover the low part of the net on that move .. it's on the shooter to lift the puck. against this elite goalie, Tanguay had more openings [he simply failed to elevate the puck, or tuck it inside the open side].
Bryz clearly covered the better, giving Tanguay only 1 place to shoot, not 2, but Tanguay elevated the puck. vs DAL, he not only had the top open, but the post was also not covered. if he lifts it like he did vs Bryz = a goal 100% of the time.

Old
03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
haleks

Quote:

do not agree. goalies cover the low part of the net on that move .. it's on the shooter to lift the puck. against this elite goalie, Tanguay had more openings [he simply failed to elevate the puck, or tuck it inside the open side].
Bryz clearly covered the better, giving Tanguay only 1 place to shoot, not 2, but Tanguay elevated the puck. vs DAL, he not only had the top open, but the post was also not covered. if he lifts it like he did vs Bryz = a goal 100% of the time.
Last I checked the best way to stop a puck was to be square to the shooter and not leaving him any hole to shoot at. We've seen plenty of time a shooter making this exact move, faking a shot, backhand to forehand. Of course, every once in a while a goalie will bite at a deke, and desperately try to readjust and cover as much of the net as he can (usually the bottom part) to make it more difficult for the shooter...

Just look at the picture you posted here, you're basically saying that being all crooked in the net is okay as long as you cover the bottom part of the net? and that Tanguay move is 100% a goal? As far as I know Tanguay is 1 for 7 this year in the shootout. That mean ~85% of his shot were saves/miss.

The position that Bryz should have been is like in your avatar square to the shooter into a butterfly.
Like this save by Dubnyk on Letang at 0:42 (Same move fake shot, backhand to forehand) and what do you know, Dubnyk didn't bite on the deke and and stay square to the shot.

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

wrong. there is no 'should have been in 'this' position' on a penalty shot, you do whatever it takes to cover [in most cases on dekes] the bottom part of the net. 'being square to the shooter' applies to the beginning part of the penalty shot ... after that, depending on the move, you go into 'whatever it takes' mode.

the are all different to a degree, there is no 'set' way to move ..... the objective is stop the puck, take away the high percentage areas if you can....

you move out, then come back at the speed of the shooter, try not to make the 1st move. if the guy dekes, then goes to a side, you do whatever you can to get over, in any way you can in a desperation attempt. your first thought is to cover low.

Hasek, Thomas are examples of 'style points don't matter'

in the comparison i posted, Tanguay did the same move. it doesn't matter what the goalie looks like: flat on your belly or sprawling back .. the ONLY thing that matters is net coverage. both goalies attempted to cover low. Bryz did it entirely, Lehtonen did not.

and yes, if he lifts it [vs DAL] like he did vs Bryz = a goal 100% of the time .. just look at the video: both goalies gave him the top of the net.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
haleks

Quote:
wrong. there is no 'should have been in 'this' position' on a penalty shot, you do whatever it takes to cover [in most cases on dekes] the bottom part of the net. 'being square to the shooter' applies to the beginning part of the penalty shot ... after that, depending on the move, you go into 'whatever it takes' mode.

the are all different to a degree, there is no 'set' way to move ..... the objective is stop the puck, take away the high percentage areas if you can....

you move out, then come back at the speed of the shooter, try not to make the 1st move. if the guy dekes, then goes to a side, you do whatever you can to get over, in any way you can in a desperation attempt. your first thought is to cover low.

Hasek, Thomas are examples of 'style points don't matter'

in the comparison i posted, Tanguay did the same move. it doesn't matter what the goalie looks like: flat on your belly or sprawling back .. the ONLY thing that matters is net coverage. both goalies attempted to cover low. Bryz did it entirely, Lehtonen did not.

and yes, if he lifts it [vs DAL] like he did vs Bryz = a goal 100% of the time .. just look at the video: both goalies gave him the top of the net.
Are you serious? and you say you are a goalie?..... You posted a video where the goalie got beaten by the deke, and I told you, it happen sometimes, and getting beaten and try desperately to put something in front of the shot is plan B after you realize you got beaten by the deke. It is certainly not the way that any goalie want to play this. Haven't you watch the video I posted? Dubnyk stayed square to the shooter all the way and Letang had nothing to shot at... he didn't had to desperately try to cover the bottom part of the net, because he didn't bite on the deke and he stayed square to the shooter all the way through the deke... and it was a very similar move to Tanguay's.

'try not to make the 1st move' and yet on Bryz penalty shot, and Lethonen video you clearly see both goalie making the 1st move by dropping into a butterfly which cleared the way for Tanguay to move to his left after he fake the shot to backhand, and have an open net.

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

wow. you give up that easily? because, in my view, you are only 'beaten by the deke' if you don't get to the other side.

sometimes that 'deke' IS the move and shot ....sometimes you bite on the 'deke' .. not every forward dekes.

in these cases where Tanguay goes to Bryz's & Kari's right, the goalie's objective AT THAT POINT is to cover everything low & force a high net shot.

and, as I said: Bryz did it entirely, Lehtonen did not.

i'm just pointing out that Bryz did a better job covering the net than Kari did, even though Kari used the butterfly. Bryz also had a chance, had Tanguay hesitated, to get his catching glove over to cover the top of the net, where Kari could not, since he was flat on his belly.

credit to Tanguay, not blame on the goalie. that is my view. you will not change my mind, but you are entitled to your opinion ... but let's not continue down the 'and you say you are a goalie?' route, ok?

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 03-06-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs DET 3/6

very good game, nice to see the fight / emotion

goal 1: not too concerned that a perfect backhander went in .... but you CANT go down that early .... you have to stay up [like he did vs Boyle] ... definitely a bad goal for that reason

goal 2: a very nice shot from Franzen, hit the corner, that's gonna go in

i like that he had emotion on the 3rd period turnover ... but DO NOT like that he showed it [like Mez] publicly ..... yell at them [nobody can see that], but nothing visible !! Lavi MUST sit him down, show him the video, tell Bryz that he agrees with his dislike of the turnover, but tell him that it is the COACH who must yell at the team .... TOTALLY unnaceptable to be public like that .... as bad as Mez & Briere [keep those things in the locker room, NOT public]

huge 3rd period saves - on Filppula especially

some good clears from behind the net, no fumbling of pucks, very few rebounds

i'd rate this game 88 out of 100

Old
03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs FLA 3/8

excellent game. i can't remember 1 thing i would want him to do differently.

good, aggressive challenge in the 2nd, very few [if any] fumbled rebounds.
continued great movement since the WC

calm, confident. really kept them in it early

i'd rate this game 95 out of 100

.960 & 1.25 & 2 SO in March

Old
03-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs TOR 3/10

excellent game, but got extremely lucky about 4 times between posts / fanned attempts.
these were going in earlier, so it's nice that they are evening out a bit. was still aggressively fighting on the fanned attempts

continued great movement that started after the WC, just a few fumbled pucks.

still HATE the way he waits to cover the puck, when he's clearly gonna cover it when the forward gets close .. that's a mistake waiting to happen

i'd rate this game 90 out of 100

=====================

rating the shootout separately:
fantastic, calm, confident .... would have been surprised to see them score after shot 1

5 games played, 5 wins, 5 goals against, 3 shutouts

Old
03-10-2012, 10:52 PM
BernieParent

May I interject with a question: who is this Bob person referred to in the thread title?

Old
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
May I interject with a question: who is this Bob person referred to in the thread title?
Sergei Bobrovsky

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i think i jinxed him ... ever since we created the comparison aspect, Bob has played nothing but left bench ......

Old
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Thanks.

What, no milk carton picture?

Old
03-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i'm sure we'll have a Bob game at some point before the post season

Old
03-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Sergei Bobrovsky will start in net tonight at NJ.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bobz's game vs NJD 3/11

EXCELLENT GAME. ESPECIALLY AFTER A LONG LAYOFF.

wish Grossmann would have forced Kovi to shoot, Bob would have had at least a chance on that one.

the other 3, can't say he did anything wrong .... not one bit. very good to know he can come off the bench & perform like that !!

Old
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Evaluation of Bobz's game vs NJD 3/11

EXCELLENT GAME. ESPECIALLY AFTER A LONG LAYOFF.

wish Grossmann would have forced Kovi to shoot, Bob would have had at least a chance on that one.

the other 3, can't say he did anything wrong .... not one bit. very good to know he can come off the bench & perform like that !!

This was just a bad game by certain key players that led to some turnovers and lazy breakdowns. bob made some insane saves to keep us in but then was let down by us being pinned in our zone too much. We looked tired for long stretches as a team. I do wonder what Bryz would've done but i can't imagine it would've been good enough to win. oh well, Revenge is coming soon

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs NJD 3/13

excellent game. continued great movement. great puck tracking & some added stick work, too

no fumbled rebounds, was fortunate that on a few scrambles that the Devils couldn't get a shot off.

very confident ... it's no surprise that with Kubina / Grossmann & the overall better team D, that Bryz has come around

Old
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs NYI 3/15

continued great movement / positioning. great puck tracking. excellent glove.

no fumbled rebounds, although he did the 'let me leave the puck uncovered until an opponent gets very close' trick .. ugh

came up huge repeatedly

i'd rate this game 96 out of 100

Old
03-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs BOS 3/17

was easily the best Flyer out there

1st goal: not something you can say was horrible, but of the 4 goals scored in the game, this was the only stoppable one. you want to either control the 1st shot, or get the 2nd ... tough break that it was floated to the top of the net, usually they are just rammed on net low .. but that's one Bryz will say he's gotta get

2nd goal: slam dunk, poor coverage on the BOS player ... not much a goalie can do differently on that

a nice point for being down 0-2

============================

Shootout:

5 goals scored: 4 perfect shots, 3 by BOS & G's goal. nothing either goalie should have done differently
Thomas looked awful in whatever he was trying to do vs Jake, that was a gift.
of course Danny did his Stevie Wonder / Foster Brooks imitation on his attempt.

Old
03-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Evaluation of Bryz's game vs PIT 3/18

was easily the best Flyer out there, again. Hartnell a close #2

1st goal: nothing you can do about that

2nd goal:not a great idea for the team to let 71 waltz right into the crease, but i'd rather Bryz keep the leg down on that one .... not sure why he lifted it ...i blame him 50% for that reason, had that puck had to be lifted over his pad, full blame to the team

a nice 2 points for being down 0-2

============================

Old
03-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Xegiie

Quote:
but i'd rather Bryz keep the leg down on that one .... not sure why he lifted it ...i blame him 50% for that reason
i think he lifted the leg because he thought malkin is going to lift the puck as well.
at least its only thing crossing my mind

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote