HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Orr vs. Gretzky (Vote and Head-to-Head Comparison)

Old
03-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Plural

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDownToImpact View Post
Nothing, your entitled to your opinion, you are in the minority though.
I assure you, he is not. I would bet that the majority of hockey fans, who saw Orr and Gretzky play would say that Gretzky is the greatest player ever.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I assure you, he is not. I would bet that the majority of hockey fans, who saw Orr and Gretzky play would say that Gretzky is the greatest player ever.
That's a false statement big time.
In fact, under the exact criteria of "who actually saw both players play", Orr wins that on a regular basis.

Usually there is a lot of "Gretzky was the greatest offensive player ever" followed by "but Orr was the greatest overall player ever".

And to be fair, there's also usually a fair sized group that have Howe as the greatest ever.

Either way, when it's a full vote from all age groups, it's a close run thing and no one of the three get enough support to match the other two combined.
A minority government in a 3 party system for sure.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 03-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Injury free career and Lemieux would have challenged and overtake many of Gretzkys records.

Injury free career and Orr would be clearly the best statistical D-man to ever play the game with a huge margin.

Lemieux was absolutely a thread to Gretzkys records. Absolutely.
Injury free career and Gretzky's career would have been even more insane... or are you forgetting that Gretzky had chronic pain and back troubles since the Suter hit in 1991?

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:59 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Injury free career and Gretzky's career would have been even more insane... or are you forgetting that Gretzky had chronic pain and back troubles since the Suter hit in 1991?
Yes, it's scary to think how many goals and points Gretzky would have scored in his career had he not been hit by Suter in 1991. Not just the fact he dropped from being a 160+ point player to a 120+ point player overnight after the hit....but think about all the time he missed after that injury. He sat out most of the 1993 season, and let's not forget the lockout -- a time where he really could have padded his career totals. I shudder to think how many goals and points Gretz would have finished with had it not been for these factors. Probably over a 1000 goals, and definitely more than 3200 points. He would have hit 3000 before anyone else would have (probably ever) even hit 2000! That's just insane.

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:06 PM
OrrNumber4

Gretzky's career accomplishments obviously give him the career value.

But there is something to be said for the sheer dominance Orr showed on the ice, in all three zones. It has often been said that no one can control the pace of the game like a defenseman can....

I believe that the statistics back this observation. Orr's GF:GA ratio is off the charts; his contribution to his team (GF:GA off vs on) is also #1.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote