HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Carl Hagelin

Old
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Carl Hagelin

I'm gonna have to eat some crow here. I was always skeptical about Hagelin. I never really saw any offensive game in him, just a kid that works damn hard. But the kid is excellent at finding open spaces, and might be the best board player for his size ive ever seen in my life.

kid is playing on the top line right now, and is not holding the two superstars he's playing with back at all. Very smart player too. I like the fact that this team is getting smarter with every kid we seem to bring up. Erixon is also very cerebral. Hockey IQ, to me, is the single most important aspect of a hockey player (skating is 2nd, Hagelin has both in spades).

Serve up some crow, im'a hungry.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm gonna have to eat some crow here. I was always skeptical about Hagelin. I never really saw any offensive game in him, just a kid that works damn hard. But the kid is excellent at finding open spaces, and might be the best board player for his size ive ever seen in my life.

kid is playing on the top line right now, and is not holding the two superstars he's playing with back at all. Very smart player too. I like the fact that this team is getting smarter with every kid we seem to bring up. Erixon is also very cerebral. Hockey IQ, to me, is the single most important aspect of a hockey player (skating is 2nd, Hagelin has both in spades).
What exactly did you say that was so bad, you feel the need to eat a heaping plate of crow?

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
What exactly did you say that was so bad, you feel the need to eat a heaping plate of crow?
i had serious doubts about his game translating to the NHL. i wasnt sure hed do anything but be a 4th line energy guy and a penalty killer if that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I'm not completely sold on him on our first line. He is REALLY fast, but he isn't hugely physical on the boards. He gets most of space because of his quickness(which is fine). The problem is that he doesn't really have creativity, passing, or shooting to be all that effective imo. If all he has to do is create space, which he certainly can do from his speed. Perhaps Gabby and Richie can do the rest. I am still not sure how that line works against better defensive teams.

It doesn't mean that Carl has no ability to be a top 3, his work ethic and stamina is outstanding. But his hockey IQ/poise needs some development. With that said, he is light years ahead of where he was projected. As a rookie, he has been a massive success. I just feel that Torts might be putting him where he isn't quite ready yet. Then again, considering our lack of LW depth, he might not have a choice.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
LeetchisGod
We miss the net

The main area where he has room for improvement is his shooting. He needs to convert more of the opportunities that his speed provides.

LeetchisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=103

^^^ Ahem.

Hagelin has been superb, more than most of us expected from him this season. However he should be nowhere near the 1st line, that truly speaks about our lack of depth on the LW side. We need a stud scorer to relieve that problem in the near future, Hagelin and Dubinsky are 2nd/3rd line players and they are being counted on far too much offensively.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The main area where he has room for improvement is his shooting. He needs to convert more of the opportunities that his speed provides.
Funny, I think his main problem is his passing. He seems to have "Rangeritis" which is throwing pucks around blindly.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I'm not completely sold on him on our first line. He is REALLY fast, but he isn't hugely physical on the boards. He gets most of space because of his quickness(which is fine). The problem is that he doesn't really have creativity, passing, or shooting to be all that effective imo. If all he has to do is create space, which he certainly can do from his speed. Perhaps Gabby and Richie can do the rest. I am still not sure how that line works against better defensive teams.

It doesn't mean that Carl has no ability to be a top 3, his work ethic and stamina is outstanding. But his hockey IQ/poise needs some development. With that said, he is light years ahead of where he was projected. As a rookie, he has been a massive success. I just feel that Torts might be putting him where he isn't quite ready yet. Then again, considering our lack of LW depth, he might not have a choice.
His hockey IQ, along with his speed, is his greatest asset. It could improve, but he's so far ahead in terms of mental preparation than the average rookie.

Don't confuse hockey IQ with skill and talent.

And he most certainly isn't a first line player, but this team has a serious problem at LW, and right now, he's the team's best LW.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
His hockey IQ, along with his speed, is his greatest asset. It could improve, but he's so far ahead in terms of mental preparation than the average rookie.

And he most certainly isn't a first line player, but this team has a serious problem at LW, and right now, he's the team's best LW.
Well I guess I should be clearer in how I define hockey IQ. I will admit he has a good knack to getting open. He is solid defensively. However, he has poor playmaking/decision ability with the puck(which I feel goes along with hockey IQ).

Bear in mind his Hockey IQ is not terrible, just not what we need for our first line. I totally agree that he is completely ahead of schedule when it comes to his development.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Funny, I think his main problem is his passing. He seems to have "Rangeritis" which is throwing pucks around blindly.
I second this. I think he has a really good shot that he doesnt use enough. His shot could still use some work. His passing needs more work. Physically he looks fine but obviously he could always get bigger.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Reijo R

Quote:
This is EXACTLY how I feel.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=103

^^^ Ahem.

Hagelin has been superb, more than most of us expected from him this season. However he should be nowhere near the 1st line, that truly speaks about our lack of depth on the LW side. We need a stud scorer to relieve that problem in the near future, Hagelin and Dubinsky are 2nd/3rd line players and they are being counted on far too much offensively.
The organization seems to think Kreider is the answer to the LW problem. If they're right, then we might soon be able to slide him up top, Dubi in the 2nd line LW spot (assuming he bounces back next season), and Hags in the 3rd spot. That would be a good looking left side.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
The organization seems to think Kreider is the answer to the LW problem. If they're right, then we might soon be able to slide him up top, Dubi in the 2nd line LW spot (assuming he bounces back next season), and Hags in the 3rd spot. That would be a good looking left side.
Dubi may not be here next year...probably for an upgrade.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Sticky Fingers

He's getting better by every game, way over my expectations!

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Totally agree! If he improves his aim he's gonna be lethal

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Crease

His physical tools and his IQ are going to keep him in the NHL for a long time. If he can develop the hands to match his speed and smarts, he's going to be a very solid top-six guy.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't think Kreider is a natural goal scorer though. He's still got a long way to become a sure-fire top 6 player.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

upgrading the 1st line and bumping hags down to upgrade the 2nd or 3rd lines isn't a bad thing

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
upgrading the 1st line and bumping hags down to upgrade the 2nd or 3rd lines isn't a bad thing
Agreed, but the only other guy who can fit that LW slot is Dubi. Considering how he has been snake bitten, not sure if Torts wants to overwhelm him.

I really like Hags on our second line, but he should be nowhere near Brian Boyle. Its just pissing away what he brings to the team.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

He's getting better, he should learn to shot..lol

I still hold my breath when he's on D sometimes, he has to keep it focused there...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Kershaw

Imagine Zuccarello with Hagelin's speed. lol.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:54 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Agreed, but the only other guy who can fit that LW slot is Dubi. Considering how he has been snake bitten, not sure if Torts wants to overwhelm him.

I really like Hags on our second line, but he should be nowhere near Brian Boyle. Its just pissing away what he brings to the team.
well i wasn't thinking just this year, more on the idea of not being sold on him in that spot long term...after kreider and maybe someone else is added to improve the depth

point is that he isn't a guy that has no place if he doesn't fit in the top 6. he can add value playing on the 3rd line with dubi and ?

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Reijo R

I need to see Hagelin stick handle and cut across the middle of the ice with the puck before I can envision him being a true top 6 forward.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Imagine Zuccarello with Hagelin's speed. lol.
I see Gaborik.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
kovazub94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

Completely agree about his hockey IQ (and his coaching - thank you, U of M). He simply does not make bad decisions with the puck - even more impressive is that more often than not he's going to try making the best possible play available.

But I disagree that he's out of place on the first line with Richards and Gabby - his IQ let's him to keep up with them and his speed adds an element to this line that creates space for his linemates. Which is what he's done with every position in the line-up he's been on - from the 1st line all the way down to the 4th.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote