HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils 4 - Flyers 1

Old
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
It's funny, but very derivative. However, if it reaches the heights of Gomez's goal slump, it will become hilarious. Watching him whiff on an open shot last night was delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
His roaming *could* lead to mismatches the other way but, as he's gotten comfortable, he seems to pick his spots *very* well and the positives far outweigh the risks at this point. As you say, I have been a big proponent of movement on the PP for years. His creativity has been infectious and a PP that is clicking could be important to playoff success.
I keep waiting for his roaming to burn us when Kovy is the last man back, but so far it hasn't because he's been good about holding the line, possessing the puck, and picking the right spots to go wandering. I'm willing to accept that risk.

I'm glad that the coaches haven't stifled his natural creativity, because he is causing great confusion for PK units, leading to excellent chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
I can already sense the Larsson bust sentiment creeping in. Larsson is 19 and he makes decisions, plays and yes, stops, NOW, that projects lots of future success. He's in a slump. He is 19, playing defense against Claude Giroux. I'm not the slightest bit stressed since he's being managed by PDB and Big Bird.
Larsson has a lot of promise, but he's still a rookie, and we would do well to remember that when he screws up. Adjusting to playing defence at the NHL level is the most difficult of any position, I think. He's done it remarkably well for a kid of his age, and by no fair measure is he even close to being a bust. We just have to be patient with his development, and hope his talent keeps him effective when he starts to be ground down by the length of the season and the physicality of the league.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Devils Nick30

Quote:
Originally Posted by holikwillfindyou View Post
yeah kovy has been a hell of a player. i know his goal totals aren't spectacular (consistency aside), but the fact that hes a PPG player + really does speak volumes about his game.
I'm not really worried about his goal totals. If this was 3-4 years ago, he would be at 40 goals right now. If you look at the league leaders, he's 9th in the league with 30 goals and the entire NHL is most likely only going to have one fifty goal scorer.

And if it wasn't for Stamkos' insane pace, we might not have any 50 goal scorers this year.

In the year that Kovy had 52 goals, Ovechkin had 65, Iginla had 50, the entire top 10 were fourty goal scorers, and there were 28 thirty goal scorers.

Devils Nick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
I have yet to see anyone label Larsson as a bust or even bust candidate. Everyone knows he's young, VERY YOUNG. But we are seeing patterns to his mistakes. I don't mind mistakes - especially executing mistakes from rookies, but when the mistakes become borderline habit and mental I begin to worry. Pete sees the same things which is why he got a benching last night for the 3rd period.

He'll learn. No reason to panic.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Larsson has a lot of promise, but he's still a rookie, and we would do well to remember that when he screws up. Adjusting to playing defence at the NHL level is the most difficult of any position, I think. He's done it remarkably well for a kid of his age, and by no fair measure is he even close to being a bust. We just have to be patient with his development, and hope his talent keeps him effective when he starts to be ground down by the length of the season and the physicality of the league.
Agreed. And he's been coming back from injury and playing more hockey than he ever has in his life and at the toughest level there is, no less.

I hope it wasn't my comments that suggested talk of the B word. I think Larsson will be a great player for us, with a top-pairing toolbox. It's far too early to tell what his ceiling is but he's a work in progress, but playing frequently solid minutes most nights.

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:46 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I have yet to see anyone label Larsson as a bust or even bust candidate. Everyone knows he's young, VERY YOUNG. But we are seeing patterns to his mistakes. I don't mind mistakes - especially executing mistakes from rookies, but when the mistakes become borderline habit and mental I begin to worry. Pete sees the same things which is why he got a benching last night for the 3rd period.

He'll learn. No reason to panic.
you know who would learn him real good? hitchcock

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
battlingBard56

It's like Deboer said in his postgame last night, Larsson has some good nights and some bad nights.

There are times where he makes you go "WOW" and others where you go "WTF was that...?" He'll get better with time.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
you know who would learn him real good? hitchcock
Sweden is too close to Russia.

#notworththerisk

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
It's like Deboer said in his postgame last night, Larsson has some good nights and some bad nights.

There are times where he makes you go "WOW" and others where you go "WTF was that...?" He'll get better with time.
Exactly. He has the top-end tools, and he comes up with flashes of brilliance pretty often, he's just looking for the consistency.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
RNCDevil

I used the B word a bit heavy-handedly. I don't think anyone is committing sepuku worrying about Larsson, I just wanted to highlight the fact that this TEENAGER has done some really good things AND highlight the fact that the coaches are all over Young Adam. We are a fan base that kvetches. It's in our terroir. I just wanted to bring some sunshine.

RNCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Devilswede

I was one of the doubters of the Zidlicky trade, but he's looked great lately. He's definitely looked like a different player. I guess he was really miserable in Minnesota.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Foster to Zidlicky, like turning coal into gold.
Chickens*** to Chicken Salad is more apropo.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

marty with some sweet glove saves last night.

i wish kovy and henrique played more of a physical game, especially kovy. the dude should be railing defensemen who think they can hold the puck and play with it. what is he? 6 foot plus 200 something.

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
I was one of the doubters of the Zidlicky trade, but he's looked great lately. He's definitely looked like a different player. I guess he was really miserable in Minnesota.
More like cliff-jumpers, but then again you always seem to do that.

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Rella17

i wouldnt get so down on larsson, kid wasnt going to turn into Niedermayer overnight. he made a great play yesteday that if Parise wanst mugged would have been an easy goal. a little slump, especially late into the year, happens with rookies all the time.

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Defenseman take the longest to develop

we're going to have to give Larsson 2-3 more years

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Hell, it took Nieds a decade to turn into an elite defensemen and then he left.

Larsson has been outstanding for a rookie defensemen.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Devilswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnots13 View Post
More like cliff-jumpers, but then again you always seem to do that.
Huh? Go back and read my posts. I had my doubts, but I was willing to let him prove me wrong, which he's in the process of doing.

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I was really glad to see a huge win yesterday. I made the trip from upstate NY (~6 hour drive) and the team played great all-around, minus Larsson. Happy to see Kovy and Zach score in person too!

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
The Great Dame
Blame Pete

vCash: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Huh? Go back and read my posts. I had my doubts, but I was willing to let him prove me wrong, which he's in the process of doing.
Quote:
And what the **** did we get Zidlicky for!? He was abysmal on the PP.

He brought his Minnesota game with him and by the looks of it he brought the whole Wild team with him. He played like hes been playing there this season.
Quote:
Excuses. I don't buy them. Why? Because that's how he's played in Minny the whole season. I don't know why it's hard to cope with the fact that his game has gone downhill the past year and that he by no means is an upgrade over Foster.
Quote:
Don't like the acquisition of Zidlicky, it screwed up the d-pairs and the chemistry.
Quote:
No, we gave up Foster, Palmieri and a 2nd rounder to get Zidlicky. And maybe a 3rd rounder.

That was A LOT for a player like Zidlicky.
Quote:
I don't like the attitude Zidlicky brought with him either. I didnt like the player in a Wild uniform, and I don't like his game now as a Devil.
Quote:
This is the Marek Zidlicky we acquired. I'm curious why so many think he'll change all of a sudden and became a savior?!

What happens when we still have this discussion 15-20 games from now? The thing is I don't see him becominng that much better in NJ at all. He'll maybe learn the system a bit better, but he'll still be the mediocre d-man he is.

It's just like with Rolston. He's done. You're not acquiring the past or new potential in him. What you see is what you get.
Quote:
And I see our buddy Zidlicky doesn't even come close to the ice 5 on 5. What an improvement over Foster he is indeed!
Quote:
Is it a coincidence this team has lost 5 of the 6 games since he was acquired?
Thanks, this was fun

The Great Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Hell, it took Nieds a decade to turn into an elite defensemen and then he left.

Larsson has been outstanding for a rookie defensemen.
Fortunately for us, Adam is an only child in the NHL.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

vCash: 1050
^lol

On NHL.com both Kovalchuk and Kessel have the same amount of points but Kovalchuk has less GP so shouldn't he be higher?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...=nav-sts-indiv

EliasR8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:39 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Thanks, this was fun
I believe the term you're looking for is :

That was great, bnots. He really asked for it there.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Stevens 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseR8 View Post
^lol

On NHL.com both Kovalchuk and Kessel have the same amount of points but Kovalchuk has less GP so shouldn't he be higher?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...=nav-sts-indiv
Goals is the first tie breaker I believe.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Thanks, this was fun

Bookmark`d. For the saddest times. Appreciated.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvrines04 View Post
i wouldnt get so down on larsson, kid wasnt going to turn into Niedermayer overnight. he made a great play yesteday that if Parise wanst mugged would have been an easy goal. a little slump, especially late into the year, happens with rookies all the time.
I still want him to shoot there. If he missed he missed but there was no one within a mile and he could have gone closer and still got a shot off if he wanted.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote