HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

CBC: Salary cap to rise 5 to 8 M. (69 to 72 M) in 2012-2013

Old
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
That second line still sucks badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Sign Weber for 9.5 mil per yr

Second line is awful.

Trade down and get Buffalo's pick and Pysyk, draft Alex Galenyuk

Trade Gagner for either a big winger or a d-man?

Paajarvi-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Galenyuk-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Eager
Hartkiannen-Belanger-Lander
Jones/Pettrel

Weber-Whitney
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Pysyk

In a couple years replace Whitney with Klefbom and Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger etc retire, leave, whatever and replace them with Hamilton, Pitlick free agents etc.

a few years down the road, if our prospects pan out, I'd like to see:

Hall-Galenyuk-Pitlick
Hamilton-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Lander-Hartkiannen

As our top three lines. I know, it's wishful thinking assuming Hamilton and Pitlick will end up being legit NHL offensive threats, but I think having either one of them on the right line, they will excel. All three of these lines have a good mix size, speed, scoring touch and playmaking. I think it's best to have three balanced likes than one stacked line of Hall-RNH-Eberle.
How does that line suck?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:10 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
How does that line suck?
I have lost all confidence in Hemsky and Gagner.I don't believe that a contending team would have these two in their top 6.Trade Hemsky and Gagner to help the defence out.Then bring in Grigorenko and sign a Power forward to replace Hemsky.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
I have lost all confidence in Hemsky and Gagner.I don't believe that a contending team would have these two in their top 6.Trade Hemsky and Gagner to help the defence out.Then bring in Grigorenko and sign a Power forward to replace Hemsky.
Realistically, who?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Realistically, who?
Or trade for one.

Old
03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The Price Is Right...

C'mon down Suter and Weber.

Can we interest you both in being the blueline double feature for a fast up and coming NHL team on the brink of breakout success? If so, pack your bags and plan how to spend $9 million each for the next 8 years.
Nashville and 29 other team just got 5-8m richer as well. I don't see any of the big fish signing in Edmonton untill they actually show major progress. Like two or three rounds deep progress.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Nashville and 29 other team just got 5-8m richer as well. I don't see any of the big fish signing in Edmonton untill they actually show major progress. Like two or three rounds deep progress.
Ya... well I realize landing both of them is just a fantasy but I do think if the Oilers REALLY wanted to make a pitch for a top pairing dman and threw out some serious cash... a good dman from somewhere would likely bite if the money was a $8+ million for a longer term contract.

I agree there are a LOT of other cities before Edmonton in terms of appeal which is why the Oil would have to overpay... but I think offensively the Oil have a pretty bright looking future right now (especially if they get another top forward with a top 2/3 pick this year) and I think a top damn in another market where they've been spinning their wheels for years... just might like picturing themselves feeding the puck to the likes of RNH/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov on a PP unit. The Oilers have some major mojo going on with their youth movement and that could have a positive attractor effect on getting some decent talent in here on the blueline (that's my optimistic theory anyway... now watch Tambo re-aquire Foster and sign Barker for another year. ).

Just wanted to add... personally I'm not really into whale hunting as I'd prefer to let the prospects develop from within the Oilers system but I certainly can't deny the power of having a Weber type player in the mix... certainly would be a guy to overpay for as he fills a critical need for the team until the rest of the top dman prospects are ready to join the roster.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Quote:
Realistically, who?
Quote:
Or trade for one.
Realistically, who?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Sign Matt Carle in the offseason please.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Realistically, who?
I wonder if Ryan Clowe is available. If they don't make the playoffs you have got to think they make some changes.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Ya... well I realize landing both of them is just a fantasy but I do think if the Oilers REALLY wanted to make a pitch for a top pairing dman and threw out some serious cash... a good dman from somewhere would likely bite if the money was a $8+ million for a longer term contract.

I agree there are a LOT of other cities before Edmonton in terms of appeal which is why the Oil would have to overpay... but I think offensively the Oil have a pretty bright looking future right now (especially if they get another top forward with a top 2/3 pick this year) and I think a top damn in another market where they've been spinning their wheels for years... just might like picturing themselves feeding the puck to the likes of RNH/Hall/Eberle/Yakupov on a PP unit. The Oilers have some major mojo going on with their youth movement and that could have a positive attractor effect on getting some decent talent in here on the blueline (that's my optimistic theory anyway... now watch Tambo re-aquire Foster and sign Barker for another year. ).

Just wanted to add... personally I'm not really into whale hunting as I'd prefer to let the prospects develop from within the Oilers system but I certainly can't deny the power of having a Weber type player in the mix... certainly would be a guy to overpay for as he fills a critical need for the team until the rest of the top dman prospects are ready to join the roster.
I'm not suggesting that one would not sign in Edmonton, but my gut tells me that those big fish d are more likely to sign in the detroits of the world. All I'm saying is its more likely that those type of players sign when they actually see potential in the stats and not just on paper.

I think a cap increase only benefits Edmonton when it gets to the point that other teams owners are reluctant or can't afford to go to it. Then it would benifate the teams with deep pockets. At least on a free agent front. It would defiantly allow for some over payment.

I still wonder what kind of team we could have built with Doug Weight and company with Katz as the owner.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Realistically, who?
Ryane Clowe would be the perfect 2nd line right winger to replace Hemsky.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The amnesty would only ever be fathomable if there is a roll back.

If the Cap increases say 6 million next year, we would probably need a roll back that is more than the 6 million for the amnesty buy out to occur.

I don't see it nessessary if there ends up being a net game in cap space.
Not necessarily, if the min or max contract changes then they will have to offer an amnesty to contracts that are no longer cap compliant. If they have to do that they possibly could open up amnesty to all contracts. If the rules change you think GM's will want a chance to realign their teams to the new CBA. This doesn't only effect cap teams, it can also effect cap floor teams as well.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
So it's like keeping Hemsky for free
And it justifies Eberle getting 8 mill for his next contract.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
over pay?

stop watching, buying stuff and youll stop "over paying"

people its supply and demand.
It might be, but that doesn't mean that a 2nd/3rd liner should make in one year what will might take me a life-time to earn .. does it?

Doesn't mean I have to like that fact, and not to mention that we all lost a year of hockey over that damn CBA.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:04 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Maybe a better revenue sharing system will be added to help the poorer teams, I can't see the floor being remove all together
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Nashville is what the 5th lowest spending team? they do not benefit from the cap going up. Just because they are allowed to spend 5-8 million more doesn't mean they will even come close.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Nashville is what the 5th lowest spending team? they do not benefit from the cap going up. Just because they are allowed to spend 5-8 million more doesn't mean they will even come close.
Nashville's financial situtaion is much better than it was. Their attendance is way up, as is corporate sponsorship. They also added Brett Wilson to their owneship group.

They have said that they would be willing to spend a fair bit more to keep the team together.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
isnt it kind of a moot point with the cba expiring?

teams want to reduce revenue % to players, probably want a rollback, all kinds of **** has to get settled before there can be an impactful cap increase.
Pretty much this for me.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Nashville's financial situtaion is much better than it was. Their attendance is way up, as is corporate sponsorship. They also added Brett Wilson to their owneship group.

They have said that they would be willing to spend a fair bit more to keep the team together.
I really want to believe this and did until they moved Franson because they can't afford Lombardi.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Ryane Clowe would be the perfect 2nd line right winger to replace Hemsky.
Clowe would be awesome. I think he can play LW as well.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Clowe - Gagner - Hemsky

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
ales83fan

Clowe is not available. No one is... That's why trades don't happen.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I really want to believe this and did until they moved Franson because they can't afford Lombardi.
No question that they will not throw money away if they don't have to.

At the time they traded Lombardi there was a significant chance that is career was over or at least that he might be pretty much on the shelf for the remainder of his deal.

NHL teams typically carry insurance on about 7 players. Lombardi was probably not one of them. So the thought of eating $7M in salary with minimal to no return would not have been attractive. That would mean less money to spend on the likes of Suter and Weber.

Franson was a casulty but thye have tons of depth on the backend pushing to get a shot.

All this said, I cannot say for sure that they will spend enough to get it done, but I can say that they will spend any money quite carefully.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Were you saying that when we were one of those "poor teams"? My guess is no.
When Edmonton was one of the poor teams there were still several Franchises in dire needs. Now Edmonton has turned things around and those other franchises are still in dire needs. Like I said time to cut bait on your bottom feeders.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Koto

edmonton didnt turn **** around.

the dollar went from .6 to par.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

and we went from having a group of rich owners to one SUPER rich owner... the edmonton market as a whole is better now than it was 10 years ago as well

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Oh yeah that's right I totally forgot about the team selling out the majority of their games in the 90's.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote