HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Looking ahead. Playoff final standings, 1st and 2nd rounds.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Looking ahead. Playoff final standings, 1st and 2nd rounds.

I guess we will finish 6th? I do not mind that at all.

Play Florida or Caps in 1st and hopefully will get Rangers instead of Pens in 2nd?

NY Rangers
Boston
Florida
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Ottawa
Washington

or how do y ou think it will play out?

Hartnell Giroux Jagr
Read Briere Simmonds (not too crazy about this line)
JVR Schenn Voracek
Notsure Couturier Talbot

Timonen Carle
Coburn Grossmann (I love this paring and they can go against tope lines)
Meszaros Kubina

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Last edited by Kaktus*: 03-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Mgkibbles

Depends who's healthy.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I do not know but i don't care either. We need to be prepared to face the toughest team. We can't think somehow playing florida will buy us time for another stronger opponent to get knocked out. The real prediction is what round do we get eliminated in? 1st? 2nd? or 3rd? i say 1st unfortuanaley. then we continue our remodeling job over the summer.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I think we draw the 5th spot and get bounced by the Pens or Rangers, as much as that pains me to say it.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I think we draw the 5th spot and get bounced by the Pens or Rangers, as much as that pains me to say it.
If we play Pens in 1st we will get bounced especially if Crosby is healthy, if we get Rangers we have a chance in 7 games if Bryzgalov keeps his **** together.

I'd tank if we are anywhere near 4-5. Just rest veterans and top players in last game or two. Giroux, Jagr, Timonen, Hartnell, Briere.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:44 AM
BillDineen

I would rather finish 6th than either 5th or even 4th and face Florida/Caps than the Pens/Rags (If the Pens catch them).

Bryz is getting hot at the right time, but this teams needs to get healthy in a hurry.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think we will finish 5th, which is fine by me. I think Washington is going to wind up winning the division and even though they have been borderline all year and playoff chokers, I'd still rather face the Pens. Washington could be one of those "hot at the right time" teams if they finish strong.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
we should tank for 6th or even 7th as the Senators might catch Boston. Though I still would rather face Pittsburgh than the Rangers.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think we will finish 5th, which is fine by me. I think Washington is going to wind up winning the division and even though they have been borderline all year and playoff chokers, I'd still rather face the Pens. Washington could be one of those "hot at the right time" teams if they finish strong.

With or without Crosby?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
RussianRocket10

I'd take Pittsburgh first round. Even if Crosby is healthy.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
You are simply out of your mind. I'd rather play any team in the league in the first round than the Pens right now. Finishing in 6th not only sets you up against a flawed SE division winner, but also puts you against the Bruins or Ottawa in round 2... a better proposition than playing Pens and Rangers in the first 2 rounds.

I don't advocate tanking because it sets you up to fail once you get there, but the Eastern 5 seed is looking like the same road to the Finals as the Eastern 8 seed.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You are simply out of your mind. I'd rather play any team in the league in the first round than the Pens right now. Finishing in 6th not only sets you up against a flawed SE division winner, but also puts you against the Bruins or Ottawa in round 2... a better proposition than playing Pens and Rangers in the first 2 rounds.

I don't advocate tanking because it sets you up to fail once you get there, but the Eastern 5 seed is looking like the same road to the Finals as the Eastern 8 seed.
Exactly. Getting the #6 seed is ideal and most conducive to making a run.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
With or without Crosby?
Preferably without Crosby, but either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

There are still 15 games left in the season. I know the Pens are hot right now, but they could easily drop the next five games or something. If you are talking about the season ending today and matchups coming form today's standings, then yeah I don't want to play the Pens starting tomorrow. But letting the next 15 games play out, I think the Caps will heat up while the Pens slow down. Making the Pens the better matchup IMO.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
5th place is being in between a rock and a hard place... going to be facing either rags or pens most likely if we get that.

4th, hard game, but that home ice advantage does still mean something, even if it is only for the 1st round.

6th, we face the 'easiest' opposition.

5th is the worst scenario in many ways.

But if we are to win the cup (I know... very unlikely), we have to beat the best anyway, no matter what round that is in.

Also, while crystal ball gazing is great, who knows if the penguins will come out flat in the playoffs, if washington or florida will get on a role?

Though if I was Snider, I would want 6th for the extra likelihood of extra revenue of 2 playoff rounds instead of 1!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:10 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
This... and there is not way the Pens dont win the divsion, I hate them all but if we finish any better than 6th we are hooped.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
This... and there is not way the Pens dont win the divsion, I hate them all but if we finish any better than 6th we are hooped.
That's weird. Last time I checked they were four points out with 14 games left. Do you happen to know this week's Power Ball numbers too?

Old
03-12-2012, 01:25 PM
MASE THE ACE

we havent beat the rangers all season have we? id rather play the pens

MASE THE ACE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Funny everyone isn't giving us a chance agianst anybody here if we get healthy and everyone is back i think with this team and if Bryz doesnt fold we can do some damage in the playoffs..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Funny everyone isn't giving us a chance agianst anybody here if we get healthy and everyone is back i think with this team and if Bryz doesnt fold we can do some damage in the playoffs..
This is HF Boards man. The Flyers are always the worst team in the league no matter what their record and stats show so that if they don't win the Cup everyone can say, "See I knew it..." I think this team has a shot to come out of the East even if not everyone is healthy. The East is WIDE open this year. I think everyone needs to be healthy to win it all, but acting like the Flyers aren't a real playoff team is ridiculous. There is no reason they can't beat any team in the East in the first round. Sure, they might lose in the first round, even be swept. But it is just as likely that they will do the sweeping. When this team is clicking (even when riddled with injuries) they can still compete with every team in the East.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Xegiie

i would prefer pens over rangers.. we are simply cursed again them.

Tho with new bryz who knows

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Thank you. All this tank for 6th is ********. You go right after the no. 1. Man up and do it. Over the past 2 seasons the Pens depth has dried up in the playoffs like nobodies business.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
It's way too hard to predict or hope for any specific matchup yet. The Rangers have cooled off a bit, so they are in range of the Pens, and Flyers and Devils for that matter. I haven't checked how many head-to-head games each team heas, but that will play into it.

We haven't been able to beat the Rangers, but we get one more chance. We have 3 games vs. the Pens, so that series will be telling about both teams' state of playoff readiness.

Devils are hot now too, but any of the teams can cool off and with 15 games or so left, it means there is a lot riding on all the conf. games.

The key is to win enough games to avoid the #7-8 slots...The Flyers responded well to losing some key Dmen, they need to beat the Devils on Tues and go from there.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
That's weird. Last time I checked they were four points out with 14 games left. Do you happen to know this week's Power Ball numbers too?
Kinda like predicting the Pens to fall back to earth and become a less dangerous team than a suddenly surging Caps team?

All kidding aside, at the end of the day, you play whomever is in front of you. My thoughts are this:

1.) Team has exceeded my preseason expectations to date.
2.) If we get more healthy AND Bryz keeps up an above average level of play (something like .925, <2.1), we can beat anyone.
3.) I seriously doubt we are 100% by the playoffs. JVR definitely won't be 100% even if the bone is healed. His conditioning will be rough.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I guess I'll just be the Debby Downer and say that it doesn't matter who we play. If we go in hot, Bryz keeps this up, d heals for the most part and offense clicks, I couldn't care less who we play. We can beat in anyone in a 7 game series if heads are on straight. Not worried at all = this guy.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
FlyersFan61290

Call me optimistic but i think the Flyers have a good chance to win any series as long as Bryz plays like an elite goalie in this league and they get healthy. if not they could easily go out in the first imo.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote