HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty not meeting expectations....

Old
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
He used to have fun and enjoy what he was doing. It doesn't look that way anymore.
Being happy is a personal decision.

I will say this about Doughty. When he is on the ice he seems to approach the game with enthusiasm and wants to make something happen. That shows that he cares and wants to win. He needs to take that same enthusiasm and include it in his off season program to prepare for next season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
SMoneyMonkey

His potential was A, why is his rating not higher this year than it was last year? Quick, report the bug to Bettman! Also, forehand dekes are over powered.

People don't progress at a steady rate. He plays hard, he'll get better. Just hasn't been his year.

They're people, not numbers. ;P

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
His potential was A, why is his rating not higher this year than it was last year? Quick, report the bug to Bettman! Also, forehand dekes are over powered.

People don't progress at a steady rate. He plays hard, he'll get better. Just hasn't been his year.

They're people, not numbers. ;P
Oh!!! This ^ too!

Really.

I mean how isn't a 22yo #1/2 dman on an exceptional defencive team not meeting expectations? Maybe expectations should be somewhat leveled as much as some of us expect DD's play?

He hasn't had his best season but he has had his exceptional moments and always plays hard while trying to make things happen. The mistakes will lessen in time and we will have likely the best D man in the league when they do.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Taking a positive view, I think his struggles this season could be a blessing in disguise in the long run.

After holding out for that huge contract, he will now be held responsible for a higher proportion of the teams' successes or failure. Since this season can be deemed a disappointment, he is receiving more scrutiny on his play from fans, analysts; doubting his worth and ability.

I think he takes an "I'll show you" attitude this summer and puts in the work like he never has before, in an effort to prove he is the player everyone saw in 2009-2010. Hopefully, starting in camp next year, we will have the real Drew Doughty for good.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Every aspect of his game can be questioned. There isn't one area of his game that has not gone the wrong direction. Saying he plays 25 minutes is mute to me because he has not earned those minutes. He has been given the keys of the kingdom since his rookie season. He's been given the most opportunistic shifts, given the best partners and every fault has been overlooked.

His hockey IQ was supposed to be off the charts now looks average at best. His decision making on the PP is confusing and his shot is mind boggling in how long he takes. His defensive angles blow me away. This is not the same guy. Not in the least.
Gone the wrong direction, or levelled off?

I don't doubt he's not the same as two years ago, but maybe that was an exceptional year perhaps? The guy is still playing at a very high level and even if he kept this level of play up, a few more Norris nominations over his career is not out of the question.

To say his hockey IQ is "at best" average, his decision making on the PP is "confusing" and his shot is "mind boggling" while his defensive angles blow you away is a statement to this. If he really was all of that, or even a fraction of that, would he even be in the NHL regularly? A defenseman who attributes are referred to as "at best average", "confusing" and "mind boggling", rarely even plays regularly in the NHL. He is a 22-year-old defenseman who logs 25 minutes a night on one of the top five defensive teams this year and last year. I think your insight in the topic is clouded by overly large expectations.

He may not be worth $7 million, I'll agree, but he is no where near as bad as some are suggesting and I think many are spoiled by his year two seasons ago that set the bar very, very high.

We all said it before, what defenseman gets on the Olympic team and a Norris nomination at 20? Just because he's playing more human now doesn't mean he's not a great D-man still.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Fishhead

Even when he's sucking, Drew does things that very few players can do. His mistakes are amplified because he is a high-profile guy, but many of his good plays are overlooked because they are expected. That's fine, it comes with the territory, but I find it odd that Mad Mike says something then everyone is all over this. For about the last month or so DD has really picked up his game and has been carrying the play and trying to impose his will.

Overall his year has been sub-par, but I'm not worried about him in the slightest. The biggest danger with a young defensman is his confidence taking a hit, and that isn't going to happen with Drew. He's got a couple notches he can crank it up to and I totally expect that to happen as he gets older.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
santiclaws

He's old and his best years are clearly behind him. He just can't keep up anymore. Time for him to retire.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:49 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
He is meeting mine. If anything he superexceeded them during his first couple of years and now at 22 is starting to develop at a more humanly rate then the freakish rate that he had been doing.

He is still our #2 best Dman at 22 and that is important considering that we are the #3d team in the game. I know that it isn't all the result of our D but DD is a big part of the overall reason.

Imagine him in three years when he will still be a young man as far as Dmen development is concerned.

This kid is going to be among the very best and if you can't see that then you simply can't see a phenomenal young D man who is waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the curve.
This is well said saves me alot of typing. Milbury is a ****** who makes an arse out of himself
Frequently.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:50 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
This is well said saves me alot of typing. Milbury is a ****** who makes an arse out of himself
Frequently.
Man, whanker gets x'd...hahaha

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
He's old and his best years are clearly behind him. He just can't keep up anymore. Time for him to retire.
No, better yet, trade him for Teemu Selanne! Let's relive the glory years of giving up on good young players or draft picks for guys at the end of the careers! Drew for Teemu, make it happen Deano!!

Old
03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Perro

I wonder how awful Doughty would look if he didnt have scuds saving his ass everytime he puts himself out of positon.
He still logs a ton of minutes for the kings and is a top 20 dman in this league, but still has a long way to go.
He is a huge asset, but if the Weber in Nasvhille cannot come to terms I would love to see a Weber for Doughty swap.
It would give Nashville a top d-man who is under contract for many years, and would give LA a more proven defensman who make less mistakes.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I wonder how awful Doughty would look if he didnt have scuds saving his ass everytime he puts himself out of positon.
He still logs a ton of minutes for the kings and is a top 20 dman in this league, but still has a long way to go.
He is a huge asset, but if the Weber in Nasvhille cannot come to terms I would love to see a Weber for Doughty swap.
It would give Nashville a top d-man who is under contract for many years, and would give LA a more proven defensman who make less mistakes.
I wonder how awful Scuds would look if he didn't DD bailing him out when he overcommits to a poor decision like he did Twice last night.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
If I can defend him a little, I'd like to say that his on ice antics have improved this year. He's acted a little less entitled and his tantrums have gone down considerably. His game has plummeted though. He's still very young.
this really bugged me about him last season, maybe now thats he's 50 million dollars richer there is less to whine about.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Isn't that how it usually works? The more offensive risk taker is paired with the steady, more defensive player?

The Butcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Isn't that how it usually works? The more offensive risk taker is paired with the steady, more defensive player?
In hockey yes.

On a message board, the stay at home, mistake free by risk adverse players always get praise, while those who are higher risk, even higher reward get attacked.

There's a reason why the only players who never get critized much, if at all, around here are Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi. Honorable mention to Colin "We never wanted him but now we should resign him for a raise even though he's an everyday 4th line guy of which there are 40 of every off-season and they are as replaceable as socks" Fraser.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:09 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
He sucks all season, but we only have two examples, from the very game they are broadcasting (of which Milbury was watching on TV like everyone else IIRC). That's what everyones all worked up about?

Take the source. Same guy who was in the courts recently for threatening to beat up a 12-year-old and traded Roberto Luongo for Oleg Kvasha. I won't lose any sleep over it, and I doubt Drew does either.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
He sucks all season, but we only have two examples, from the very game they are broadcasting (of which Milbury was watching on TV like everyone else IIRC). That's what everyones all worked up about?

Take the source. Same guy who was in the courts recently for threatening to beat up a 12-year-old and traded Roberto Luongo for Oleg Kvasha. I won't lose any sleep over it, and I doubt Drew does either.
I 100% agree the Mad Mike is a tool. Guy has made some of the worse reads on players in the history of the game. Trading Luongo and Jokinen to FLA to get DiPeietro was/is terrible.
Trading Chara + for Yashin terrible.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I would hardly call this "ripping in to him"

Seems like honest analysis. He needs to be better. His defensive game his shaky at best. The Kings need him to play smarter and make better decisions with the puck.

Where is the ripping into him part that Milbury makes a fool of himself with?

I REALLY hate Milbury. But he is no way out of line with this analysis at all.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Seriously, there was nothing wrong with what Milbury said about Doughty. Hopefully this is the worst season he'll ever have during a lengthy NHL career because it is unlike his first two seasons in the NHL. He doesn't appear to have the legs and second gear that we saw from him in the past.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

He has been getting burned all season. I'm pretty sure he had a terrible read on 2 of the 4 goals scored by the Red Wings the other night. I'm a big fan of Doughty's and I've had multiple discussions with "fans" off the internets and multiple times I've had people ask me if they think we should have moved Doughty instead of Johnson. My answers is easy, no. That being said, Doughty has not lived up to being a $7m player and sorry to say it but Mike Milbury is right. I don't think he had tape compiled to display Doughty's average play this season. I think he was commenting on what happened that night which is why he only showed the two clips. IF he really did have some sort of agenda, he probably would have had a hate tape prepared.

I don't agree with a lot of what Mike Milbury says but I find him entertaining and good for TV. I don't see why people get their feelings hurt by somebody expressing their opinion. I thought what Craig Button said after the Carter trade was laughable because it was clear he had no idea what he was talking about. I certainly wasn't offended by it though. In the case of Mike Milbury, I don't see how or why people think he'd have an agenda with Drew Doughty other than the fact that he IS overpaid and underperforming which is the comment he made. I don't know anyone would dispute that at this point. It doesn't mean I don't like Drew or don't want him on the Kings but lets call a spade a spade.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Hey to me ANYTHING that Milbury says about ANYTHING you can pretty much take the opposite point of view and count on it to be right.

That guy is and has always been a hack.

Nothing more.

No offence Buddy, I posted mine before I had read your post.

Still stand by what I said but it wasn't directed at your post.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Hey to me ANYTHING that Milbury says about ANYTHING you can pretty much take the opposite point of view and count on it to be right.

That guy is and has always been a hack.

Nothing more.

No offence Buddy, I posted mine before I had read your post.

Still stand by what I said but it wasn't directed at your post.
That is fine and your opinion. I'm not offended.. he isn't my uncle or anything. I think he has the balls to actually state his opinion ALL the time and for that he is going to receive flack. Just like Don Cherry but Don Cherry is a bit senile and I tend to laugh at him. There have been plenty of times where Milbury's view has been conterversial but I actually agree with him.

I always have a chuckle whenever I think of him hitting some guy with his own loafer and his horrendous record as a GM. Now that is funny!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Had Milbury still been a GM and had possession of a player like Drew Doughty or Tyler Myers, I assure you he would have already dealt them to say, Vancouver, for Mason Raymond and Jannik Hansen.

This is the same man who traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a 3rd round pick that turned into Jarkko Ruutu for Trevor Linden and dealt Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen for two players who are no longer in the NHL in Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. A genius at work people.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Wooty

When Milbury speaks, you know the opposite is true.

The problem with his words yesterday was that he decided to isolate a play that didn't work for Doughty and use it to declare Doughty a bad player.

He says clearly that an NHL defenseman can't take risks and that Doughty, who, for those wh have not noticed, is an NHL defenseman, doesn't play like an NHL defenseman. It is just asinine what **** spills out of his mouth.

"they need him to possess the puck, move the puck and to be productive." How exactly is that done when you don't take risks? How is it done when the system does not support it? What happens when the other team figures out your system? What happens when the other team, who just happen to have superstars on it, does well?

If you like blow hard commentators that's cool, but recognize you are listening to a blow hard.

Again, we can like more from DD just like we can want more from every single player.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote