HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The General is back! The Quest for 9th is on. (Habs win 4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Wanting a good draft pick is one thing. Coming here and *****ing about them winning, saying you're pissed off is another.

They were playing against the number two team in the west, while missing important offensive players, Campoli, Kaberle and Weber on defence. Are the guys on the ice just supposed to stop playing?

Old
03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
A-****ing -men! They've learned enough about losing as it is.

Losing to get an unproven prospect is daft. All you're doing is teaching the kids we have now that it's OK to lose - that there are rewards to losing? **** that!

Win or lose honourably.
Stamkos was once an unproven prospect, so was Kane, the Staals, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Doughty, RNH, ect.

I'm tired of average teams with average players. I want the Habs to lose every single game until they have a top3 pick secured. All the better if they lose trying to win, I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero
Wanting a good draft pick is one thing. Coming here and *****ing about them winning, saying you're pissed off is another.

They were playing against the number two team in the west, while missing important offensive players, Campoli, Kaberle and Weber on defence. Are the guys on the ice just supposed to stop playing?
Now I agree ******* about a good win isn't exactly ''fan'' behavior. Except perhaps against Edmonton I've never been ''pissed'' at winning. Its nice they beat Vancouver, because it shows the team has some potential. I just hope they don't start winning too often.

I don't want my Habs to become the TO Maple Leafs and finish 9-10th every year.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Now I agree ******* about a good win isn't exactly ''fan'' behavior. Except perhaps against Edmonton I've never been ''pissed'' at winning. Its nice they beat Vancouver, because it shows the team has some potential. I just hope they don't start winning too often.

I don't want my Habs to become the TO Maple Leafs and finish 9-10th every year.
Me neither, but people are yelling and screaming like the players are doing something wrong. They're playing the game they were taught to play. It's up to other teams to beat them, like they should considering they're a 15th place team.

Sure they could sit Pacioretty, Cole, Subban, Markov and Price, but other than that, the team can't get much worse than what Gauthier has already built.

Old
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How is this a DIFFICULT concept to understand.

We are CHEERING FOR our team by CHEERING FOR the best possible outcome that IMPROVES the FUTURE of our team.

You are CHEERING FOR our team to gain points and have a WORSE draft pick which likely gets us a WORSE prospect.

Our approach is short-term pain for LONG term gain.
Your approach is short-term gratification that prolongs LONG term pain.
at the end of the day, you still cheer for "your" team to lose...

can say it anyway you want, it wont change that.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

At this point it is fruitless to cheer for your team to win because it hurts your chances of competing for a Cup. It's not cheering for them to lose, it's hoping they don't ruin their chances of what will certainly help them more than winning a few games with 13 games left. Understand the difference?

Old
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
At this point it is fruitless to cheer for your team to win because it hurts your chances of competing for a Cup. It's not cheering for them to lose, it's hoping they don't ruin their chances of what will certainly help them more than winning a few games with 13 games left. Understand the difference?
oh yeah, difference is pretty easy to see... you're under the illusion that ONE good pick, ONE summer, will change everything... that we'll go from 15th in the East to competing for 1st in our Conf next season...

while I'm not...

Old
03-12-2012, 02:11 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
oh yeah, difference is pretty easy to see... you're under the illusion that ONE good pick, ONE summer, will change everything... that we'll go from 15th in the East to competing for 1st in our Conf next season...

while I'm not...
but you're convinced ONE bad pick, in ONE summer, will make us better?

Clearly what we are cheering for has a statistically better chance of happening than what you're cheering for.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
haburger

Quote:

Exactly. Tankers are losers.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Ginu

Quote:

while I'm not...
When the biggest need that we've had in 20 years is a top line center and there are 2 players in the top 5 who can fill that void for us, and we can add that player to Price, PK and Pacioretty, then yes it makes a HUGE difference. Top 5 picks have a high chance at being franchise players. Understand the impact that a franchise player has on your team before you simply want to win pointless games when we're last in the conference with only 13 games left. Anyone who makes any important decisions in life needs to have better foresight than that We must be talking to high school kids here.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
When the biggest need that we've had in 20 years is a top line center and there are 2 players in the top 5 who can fill that void for us, and we can add that player to Price, PK and Pacioretty, then yes it makes a HUGE difference. Top 5 picks have a high chance at being franchise players. Understand the impact that a franchise player has on your team before you simply want to win pointless games when we're last in the conference with only 13 games left. Anyone who makes any important decisions in life needs to have better foresight than that We must be talking to high school kids here.
Taking these three drinks right now would sure feel good, Ginu. Forget that I need to drive my kids to school in ten minutes when I'll be drunk.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Even if they would draft second overall I don't have confidence they gonna pick the right guy. There is nemerous examples where Habs selected the wrong guy when they were selecting in the top-ten, starting with Wickenheiser over Denis Savard, and Terry Ryan over Jarome Iginla, AK over Carter, Getzlaf, Parise, Richards or Kesler.... ! Only exception: Carey Price.

Given the choice between Grigorenko, Forsberg and Galcheniuk, I am scared they gonna pick the one who's gonna be the worst of the three.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Even if they would draft second overall I don't have confidence they gonna pick the right guy. There is nemerous examples where Habs selected the wrong guy when they were selecting in the top-ten, starting with Wickenheiser over Denis Savard, and Terry Ryan over Jarome Iginla, AK over Carter, Getzlaf, Parise, Richards or Kesler.... ! Only exception: Carey Price.

Given the choice between Grigorenko, Forsberg and Galcheniuk, I am scared they gonna pick the one who's gonna be the worst of the three.
The worst of the three is still going to be better than the best of the 3 in the next tier.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
"You're either with us or with the enemy"

George W. Bush

Old
03-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
A-****ing -men! They've learned enough about losing as it is.

Losing to get an unproven prospect is daft. All you're doing is teaching the kids we have now that it's OK to lose - that there are rewards to losing? **** that!
Unproven prospect...
Quote:
Win or lose honourably.
Is it honourable to stick yourself with Thomas Kaberle when it already looks like you're not making the playoffs? Is it honourable to deal away Cammy for pieces that probably won't help you win a cup? Is it honourable to sit AK and choke the life out of his trade value before dumping him for a 2nd? If so, then we're so freakin' honourable I can't stand it....

What an honourable thing it is to make sure that you don't trade for the future. What an honourable thing it is to make sure that Markov plays at the expense of us drafting high... Boy, I sure will feel pretty freakin' honourable when we draft our 'unproven prospect' 7th overall instead of 3rd. Great work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post

No. But the club has been shortsighted all season long. Bringing in Markov now instead of waiting for a bit longer is just continuing that tradition. I get that the guy has re-habbed and I get that he wants to play. By all means... play him. But I think sitting him out a bit longer would've been not only justified but smart.

I expect the guys to play to win. But I expect my GM to look at the bigger picture. And all season long he's proven that he's not able to do this.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
"You're either with us or with the enemy"

George W. Bush
I hope this quote is ironic considering how idiotic and bad Bush was as president.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Andy

I'm loving this thread. It's gold.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm loving this thread. It's gold.
This thread isn't gold.

Our 7th overall 'honourable unproven prospect'... THAT's Gold!

It's Gold Jerry! GOLD!
Quote:
I hope this quote is ironic considering how idiotic and bad Bush was as president.
I'm going to go out on a limb and defend that poster and say yes.... he was being ironic.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
I think you're upset.

Yeah you're upset.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Ginu

Quote:

You'd rather win 10 games the rest of the year and miss the playoffs than the chance that we'll pick the wrong guy in the top 5? #logicgonewrong

Old
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
but you're convinced ONE bad pick, in ONE summer, will make us better?

Clearly what we are cheering for has a statistically better chance of happening than what you're cheering for.
what bad pick ? seriously... I know you're willing to find any BS to convince yourself and anyone else that what you're doing is THE right thing to do...

but come on now... winning a few more games will mean what ? that we'll draft 5th instead of 4th ? (or 4th instead of 3rd)...

big ****ing deal! we'll get a good player in the 1st round, you can get over that stupid "we absolutely need to lose" B.S.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
You'd rather win 10 games the rest of the year and miss the playoffs than the chance that we'll pick the wrong guy in the top 5? #logicgonewrong
Classic Habs board.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
It's a gut's feeling. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Hopefully Timmins is the one picking... But he did pick Fischer over Giroux a little while back.... On the other hand, he picked McDonagh and Pac... So I cross my fingers.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
what bad pick ? seriously... I know you're willing to find any BS to convince yourself and anyone else that what you're doing is THE right thing to do...

but come on now... winning a few more games will mean what ? that we'll draft 5th instead of 4th ? (or 4th instead of 3rd)...

big ****ing deal! we'll get a good player in the 1st round, you can get over that stupid "we absolutely need to lose" B.S.
picture this scenario. We go on a run while teams around us continue to lose.

We go from 3rd over-all to 7th over-all.

Toronto drops below us in the standings. They take Galchenyuk. We're stuck with someone like Faksa.

We looove having our maybe 50 point player, while they're laughing because they have Galchenyuk putting up Faksas upside in his first few seasons.

Thats what you want, really? Because you can't stand to lose a few more games in a season where that's what we've been doing?

Old
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Only exception Carey Price? Seriously?

How about Guy Lafleur, Bob Gainey, Steve Shutt? Did those guys suck too or were they the core of a dynasty?

Moreover, you do know that we barely draft top five right? Price is our only guy in over two decades and he was a lottery pick. Yeah, we blew it with Wickenheiser but we hit a homerun with Guy Lafleur. 1 out of 2 generated a top player of all-time. That's not so bad is it?

You need to give your head a shake. There will always be hits and misses in the draft. ALWAYS. But if you're not drafting top five, it's a hell of a lot harder to find superstars with any kind of regularity. Hell, if you're drafting high enough, even when you miss you STILL might get somebody awesome. Look at the Islanders, they passed up on Yzerman but still managed to get HOF talent Pat Lafontaine. You could argue that OV isnt' as good as Malkin but when you're drafting high it won't matter because you STILL might get a superstar even if you do make a mistake.
Quote:
So... clearly the answer is to allow other teams to get first pick. That makes sense. Let them pick the best players first so that we have no choice but to select guys that we didn't really want. I mean, who wants to be in command of their own destiny when it comes to making picks? Let's let other teams decide it for us and then get the leftovers like we always do.

And hey... look how well it's worked out. We haven't picked 5th overall except Price in over two decades and well, we're swimming in superstars. Clearly, drafting lower instead of higher is the right move. I mean, who wants to be stuck with Guy Lafleur or Steve Shutt?

Old
03-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This thread isn't gold.

Our 7th overall 'honourable unproven prospect'... THAT's Gold!

It's Gold Jerry! GOLD!.
No I'm pretty sure that this thread is gold. I'm having a great laugh here. Keep it up guys, you're doing a hell of a job. Great material.

Closed Thread