HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Japan hit by 8.9 Earthquake + Tsunami

Old
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

vCash: 500
So uh.. Pretty sure that I remember some awfully condescending, dismissive posting going on in this thread a few weeks ago.

Here we are now with the Japanese ready to call this a level 7 incident and with no end in sight.

Is it time to crack open each others skulls and feast on the goo inside?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Sedinery2011

Were any blackhawks swept away by the tsunami?

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Karl Hungus

This thread deserves a bump. One year later this story is still unfolding. All but two of Japan's fifty-two nuclear power plants have been taken off line with plans to shut the remaining plants down shortly. I would say that this disaster surpassed all the worst case scenarios laid out by the main stream media and many posters.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Doing a story right now about the 921 earthquake in 1999 in Taiwan and it's eerily similar to the damage caused here.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Bougieman

This was the one year anniversary news story that really chilled me:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2...t_14814975.htm

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
That's terrible. It always seems like Japan gets the big earthquakes and tsunamis.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
That's terrible. It always seems like Japan gets the big earthquakes and tsunamis.
Well "tsunami" is a Japanese word, after all.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
This thread deserves a bump. One year later this story is still unfolding. All but two of Japan's fifty-two nuclear power plants have been taken off line with plans to shut the remaining plants down shortly. I would say that this disaster surpassed all the worst case scenarios laid out by the main stream media and many posters.
At this time much of the data is unknown, but short term data suggests exposure levels have not been nearly as worrisome as Chernobyl for instance. Still early but there has not been a death caused by radiation exposure at this time. This includes the plant employees who were responding to the situation from the first moment.

Also, the plants are not shut down permanently. It is expected that 12 will be shut (6 at Fukushima, more at a nearby site and a couple they believe susceptible to a similar event). The remaining plants are shut down only until new safety standards are put in place. Japan will not continue to take a beating on the balance sheet because of energy imports for much longer and whether many want to admit it there is no way to replace that much power in any renewable way.

The nuclear industry took a step back but it will continue to grow. Even after Fukushima IAEA forecasts 90 to 350 more reactors world wide in the next 30 years. Most will likely be in China and India. The US just approved 2 reactors builds last month...the first approvals in several decades.

I expect you'll see countries begin to replace old designs for newer designs that have intrinsic passive cooling to the core (i.e. no external of generated utility service is needed to keep the core cool). This should happen anyways of course.

btw the reason for the meltdown was that the diesel generators were in low lying areas that got flooded. Following the quake the generators came on as planned and everything was stable within seconds. The tsunami flooded the generators. If they were up a story or two in the buildings nothing would have occurred. There is also misinformation on what happened to the spent fuel pools. They never ran out of water or overheated. Also true that if they had built a larger tsunami wall disaster would have been averted.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Plebeian
Play Your Game

Thanks guys for the small heart attack! My best friend is in Japan right now and I thought there was another earthquake.

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Thanks guys for the small heart attack! My best friend is in Japan right now and I thought there was another earthquake.
because the only reason to worry about an earthquake in japan is because your friend is there....?

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
ubiquitous
*shink*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
because the only reason to worry about an earthquake in japan is because your friend is there....?
Because trying to make him look like a dick for caring about his friend serves what purpose....?

To be honest, I was worried that it had happened again with this necro bump...

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote