HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey pants for Plus-sized women?

Old
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Hockey pants for Plus-sized women?

I'm biting the bullet and signing up for a class. I starts next Sunday. They did say that they have loaner equipment for some things, but I'm thinking it may be better to get my own of certain things, like pants.

I'm a bigger girl, not horribly obese but still pretty 'fluffy.' It's all in the hips and tummy. What options do I have for the pants? I've had trouble buying men's XL before because if it fits in the waist, it won't make it over the hips. I'm sure there are hockey pants out there somewhere that will fit - I know some of the guys playing are LOTS bigger than I am - but just buying pants for bigger men isn't always going to work.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

XXL with suspenders to keep them from moving around?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
mythicalberserker

Congrats on signing up! You'll have an awesome time!

mythicalberserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I was thinking of the XXL/suspenders combo.

The skating coach told me I'll also need a girdle, which he said can be hard to find for women. Any suggestions on that?

Old
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
AIREAYE

Have you ever tried XL sized women's pants? The women's sizes have a lower kidney guard placement and longer inseams. Bauer offers women's pants in the One80 and X5.0 models. However, these are things you really must try on and unfortunately, are pretty rare.

Bauer's Supreme series have a pretty generous wide fit in the waist, have you tried those?

I don't see any reason as to why you should need a girdle, they typically fit tighter than pants.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

He said it was a protective/support thing, and it would help hold up the socks?

Old
03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
AIREAYE

I think he means a jill or a jill short, to protect the crotch that comes with velcro tabs to hold up socks. Girdles are these:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=B6ACJ

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Man Bear Pig

Wouldn't a large junior size do the trick or a mens small? I know mens small are usually in the 30-34 inch range. I didn't know there was any difference in pants and sexes tbh. As far as the Jill goes, you can pick those up at any retail store and they are shorts. Girdles are very old fashioned and are rarely worn anymore. Like Aireaye said, they're just shorts with a jock/jill in them with velcro that holds the socks up. IIRC Under armor has some tighter fitting shorts but the principle is the same(I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them though lol)

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
beth

They have women's pants, if you can find them in time. They're more accommodating of hips.

But I would go bigger and wear suspenders if you need them, because you want to make sure that they are going to cover you well enough to protect you, especially above the shins.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:48 PM
theFinn

Im a big fat guy and my wife qualifies as plus-sized and my size 58 Tackla pants fit well over her hips however when she sits down they shove her boobs up into her neck so you might benefit from tracking down a pair of woman's pants online if they've got shorter letngth between hips and waist.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I'm biting the bullet and signing up for a class. I starts next Sunday. They did say that they have loaner equipment for some things, but I'm thinking it may be better to get my own of certain things, like pants.

I'm a bigger girl, not horribly obese but still pretty 'fluffy.' It's all in the hips and tummy. What options do I have for the pants? I've had trouble buying men's XL before because if it fits in the waist, it won't make it over the hips. I'm sure there are hockey pants out there somewhere that will fit - I know some of the guys playing are LOTS bigger than I am - but just buying pants for bigger men isn't always going to work.
You should find out where Kyle Wellwood buys his hockey pants. He's got the physique of a fluffy woman, lots of junk in the trunk. Good luck with the hockey.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
goalie29

I had the same issue pants shopping.

I found that the cheaper pants tended to fit better. The more expensive ones were way too long in the legs, and the waist acted like a support for the girls.

My $40 Canadian Tire XL Kohos fit the best out of all the pairs I tried on.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:56 AM
SCritical

Quote:
I was thinking of the XXL/suspenders combo.

The skating coach told me I'll also need a girdle, which he said can be hard to find for women. Any suggestions on that?
Are you sure he didnít say garter? In which case yes, you can just get a jill that has the Velcro tabs for your socks and a pelvic protector on the inside.

Iím 5í2 and was about 200 pounds when I started and believe me, they make pants pretty big, youíll find something! I wore Bauer X20 senior large pants at first. If you have a larger hip to waist ratio like me, you will find that while the pants fit snugly around the hips, they can loose around your middle. For that reason you should consider buying jerseys a size bigger than you need, otherwise they may not go over your pants!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
It sounds like I'm built like you (fluffy is a great term for it), and I wear a men's medium. I have to dance around a little to get into them, but they fit great once on. I don't like my pants huge and baggy like some guys, thought. Honestly, I'd say go to your LHS and try some on. Like everything, the sizing will vary a little by brand.

As a woman, what's helped me the most is I have both lacing and two belts built into my particular pants, which allows me a little more adjustment since I have hips that boys, well, don't. But all the other women in my rink, even the larger ones, just wear regular men's pants. I know they make women's pants, but I've never had an enough of a fit issue to search them out.

But if you're a bigger girl, definitely invest in women's shoulder pads. They are built for your girls, which a.) provides a little better protection should you take a shot up that high and b.) avoids the awkward fight to keep your shoulder pads from sticking out in the middle of your jersey.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:06 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

He definitely said girdle. I asked for clarification and he said either a Jill or girdle for pelvic protection, it's a matter of preference.

I'm gong to stop by the store and try things on.

The local store has a beginners kit for $259. It's got everything except the tape and girdle/Jill. I was going to look at used stiff at play it again, but how likely is it that I would get a better deal hat way? I'm thinking the kit may b a better choice since I don't really know what to look for and the hockey store will be more knowledgeable.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check out the beginners equipment guide

Old
03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
He definitely said girdle. I asked for clarification and he said either a Jill or girdle for pelvic protection, it's a matter of preference.

I'm gong to stop by the store and try things on.

The local store has a beginners kit for $259. It's got everything except the tape and girdle/Jill. I was going to look at used stiff at play it again, but how likely is it that I would get a better deal hat way? I'm thinking the kit may b a better choice since I don't really know what to look for and the hockey store will be more knowledgeable.
As others have said, don't do the full girdle if you're going to be wearing hockey pants; just get a jill. You need a jill either way, as the girdle doesn't have the crotch protection or the velcro. I'd get the beginners kit if you can get pants that fit, rather than used stuff at PIAS.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:27 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I picked up the kit and everything was fine - male XL pants, the first pair I tried I didn't like the closing much but they had a different manufacturer that was much better.

The pelvic protection thing was the one thing that didn't work for me. The women's XL was very tight, and the hard part really cut into my thighs. They didn't have anything bigger, but they did have the hard pelvic protector and then the garter for the socks. I'd kind of rather have it all in one, but if that's not going to work is there any downside to doing the jill with the garter?

Old
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Kritter471

They make a loose version of a jill/shorts. This looks kind of like the one I used to own before I went to the tighter version: http://www.hockeygiant.com/rbk09jlmshrtwmn.html

Here's a link with all sorts of options. I like the tight compression shorts even though they dig into my thighs a little bit because it keeps my legs warmer, but it's all about personal preference. http://www.hockeymonkey.com/women-jo...rgarments.html

Old
03-13-2012, 05:06 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

This is the one I tried on:
http://www.hockeygiant.com/shkdrlsshtwmn.html

They had it in XL, but I think the XXL would be a better fit.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Kritter471

Yeah, I have those in an XL and they're tight but again, I kind of like that. The site you linked had some available in XXL if you think that'd be big enough.

If you can find any of the board shorts models in L or XL, those might fit you better. I had a L ITech boardshorts-style pair before the velcro came unsewed from the shorts, and they fit great.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I'll look for the board shorts, and if all else fails just use the pelvic protector/girdle.

I really don't want to have things roll down once I'm all dressed because they're too small!

Old
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
forbs02
Blergh

I have played hockey for about 15 years now and I have never worn the protective part of a jill short. I know a number of high level players that don't wear it either. If you are playing beginner league no shot is going to hit you hard enough to even feel it...and if someone gets a stick on you it won't stop it anyway, because the pad is only on the front. Just get a garter belt and a pair of compression shorts/pants that fit you well. If you want velcro to hold your socks up just sew it on yourself.

Edit: if you really want the pelvic protection you can always buy the one that just slides on over your shorts.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I found the same one that I tried on at the store in an XL, only an XXL. It was $12.99 on eBay, so not too big a loss if it's not quite right.

Good news, the pro shop called and they have my pants now! I had tried on a pair yesterday that were good, but they weren't the low-end beginner package, so they needed to have them brought over from the other location. I should be ready with everything by Sunday when I have my first class!

Old
03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good luck!