HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2012 Draft Thread: Part IV | "Operation Dumba Drop"

View Poll Results: Which defenseman do you like most?
Ryan Murray 119 56.40%
Jacob Trouba 8 3.79%
Matt Dumba 45 21.33%
Griffin Reinhart 28 13.27%
Cody Ceci 1 0.47%
Morgan Rielly 10 4.74%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2012, 03:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The u-18's are coming up next month I believe. Dumba will be a sure bet to be on the team barring injury and the thinking is that he will be the captain.

Will you be able to watch the games?
I wasn't able to last year IIRC. That should be a blast for those that can watch them. I'd love to to see what might be around in the late first/early 2nd.

03-12-2012, 03:33 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I wasn't able to last year IIRC. That should be a blast for those that can watch them. I'd love to to see what might be around in the late first/early 2nd.
Here is a thread that talks about who we are likely to see playing for Canada in the tourney.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
PumpkinBomb

I got to see Dumba at the OK game on sat night.

You can tell he's a good player, and he did get two points, but I didn't find him especially noticeable.

Definitely didn't control the game like a Petriangelo. (spelling?)
I think Dumba may be an attractive pick because he has a good all-around game, but he doesn't control the play like Murray can.

The real standout for me was Gernat. He can really shoot the puck. Edmonton is a really well coached team. Every single time their defence get the puck the immediately skate to the middle of the ice and let a shot go. (For the highest percentage shooting opportunity.) I often feel the D on the Oilers take shots from the points at bad angles, so it was refreshing to see.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Skm

Edit: I tried to translate this article on Grigs but it was too choppy to even understand, anyone comprende en francais?

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/plante...vous-vu-grigo/

Last edited by Skm: 03-12-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
ponokanocker

One player that I keep hearing great things about is Radek Faksa. His stock has quickly risen this year as a rookie and plays all elements for his team, including the point on the PP. I wonder how high he eventually finishs in rankings, and ends up going?
I would love for him to be the final piece of our top 6, but just don't see how it could happen. 6'3, over 200 pounds already, plays a physical game and plays a very good 2 way game. He is also known for having high hockey IQ, very good speed and good set up and finishing skills.

Has there been anyone seen him play?

Old
03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
dnicks17

When I think of Murray, I always run into two questions.

Is he going to be much better than a guy like Nick Schultz? And...is that a bad thing?

They're very similar in size, skating and defensive positioning/stickwork. Schultz has also shown he has some offensive ability when he isn't playing in Minnesota's system.

Murray seems like he could improve our D next season and beyond. Dumba might take a bit longer, but has the potential to be a game breaker. Then there's Galchenyuk who could easily end up being the best player from the draft.

I'm really not a fan of Grigorenko or this draft.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

Is he going to be much better than a guy like Nick Schultz? And...is that a bad thing?

They're very similar in size, skating and defensive positioning/stickwork. Schultz has also shown he has some offensive ability when he isn't playing in Minnesota's system.

Murray seems like he could improve our D next season and beyond. Dumba might take a bit longer, but has the potential to be a game breaker. Then there's Galchenyuk who could easily end up being the best player from the draft.

I'm really not a fan of this draft.
I'd think if you are drafting in the top 5 or 10 for that matter you are hoping for more than a Schultz.

Buttons latest. I don't think he even tries anymore.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Side note, I'd assume this year is as good as any for the Devils to give up their first. If they do and you are drafted 30th overall do you consider yourself a first rounder or second rounder?

Old
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Skm

Quote:
I'm really not a fan of Grigorenko or this draft.
Neither am I, too many variables and questions to firmly decide who I want to take anywhere from 1st-5th. Crazy how the draft is shaping up considering the hype it was getting a year ago.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd think if you are drafting in the top 5 or 10 for that matter you are hoping for more than a Schultz.

He's out to lunch on Finn, Ceci and Subban, in my opinion.

Other than that though, it doesn't look too bad to me.

Old
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm really not a fan of this draft.
Ideally, Murray has a lot of room to grow whereas Shultz has been playing for a decade.

that said, I've been sold on the Murray hype for a full year now...so in some ways I go
"Holy ****! he skated backwards they need to draft this guy"...
"Holy **** he just made a pass...they need to draft this guy" ....
"Holy **** he is on the shutdown pairing...they need to draft this guy" ...
and then
"Holy **** he just ****ed up the WJC tourney...oh well...Schiefele and Visintin suck...they need to draft this guy!"

Old
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Neither am I, too many variables and questions to firmly decide who I want to take anywhere from 1st-5th. Crazy how the draft is shaping up considering the hype it was getting a year ago.
Agreed. There seems to be a lot of big holes being punched in every prospect that I don't remember from previous years.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:25 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
Yup. Last year was so easy.

#1C(RNH), #1D(Larsson) or #1W(Landeskog). All with no question marks.

This year, I see a big question marks for pretty much everyone in the top 5.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I think for me it's Murray if we're taking a D-man, and if Nail isn't available, then for me it's probably Galchenyuk if we're taking a forward.

If there is even a slight risk of Grigorenko's work ethic, I honestly don't wanna take a risk.

03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Unlike you or me, he watches all these players. Live.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Yup. Last year was so easy.

#1C(RNH), #1D(Larsson) or #1W(Landeskog). All with no question marks.

This year, I see a big question marks for pretty much everyone in the top 5.
There were question marks for all of those players.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:47 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Unlike you or me, he watches all these players. Live.
Doesn't change the fact that anything Burron writes/says is purposely controversial in order to get hits/viewers. Having Grigorenko and Murray so low will get that done. Again.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Side note, I'd assume this year is as good as any for the Devils to give up their first. If they do and you are drafted 30th overall do you consider yourself a first rounder or second rounder?
This is what is so bush league about the Devils getting to choose when they get to forfeit their pick over the next three years. They either should have lost their pick last season or else they should have had to pick from the start when in the next three seasons that they wanted to forfeit that pick. Obviously this year would be the year to forfeit it.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Doesn't change the fact that anything Burron writes/says is purposely controversial in order to get hits/viewers. Having Grigorenko and Murray so low will get that done. Again.
Ive seen him give explanations for why he has who ranked where. I dont think he trifles in order to stir up the pot. He is a scout with over 20yrs experience. I doubt he wants to risk his reputation playing games like that.

I suppose it is possible, but it would be highly doubtful imo.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
There were question marks for all of those players.
There are always questions. However last years assessment by dnicks is pretty bang on. This year who is the top d? Who is the top winger? Who is the top C?

Only one that's really a lock is Yakupov for top winger, however he does have the Russian factor and the fact that he just got laid out this past weekend doesn't help his draft stock either. So it really is tough to judge.

But last year, many people said RNH was the guy, we all knew Larsson was the best d-man available and everyone was in consensus that Landeskog was the most NHL ready prospect.

Old
03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Skm

New thread soon? Title: "Our Losing Endeavor for Whoever"

Old
03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
There are always questions. However last years assessment by dnicks is pretty bang on. This year who is the top d? Who is the top winger? Who is the top C?

Only one that's really a lock is Yakupov for top winger, however he does have the Russian factor and the fact that he just got laid out this past weekend doesn't help his draft stock either. So it really is tough to judge.

But last year, many people said RNH was the guy, we all knew Larsson was the best d-man available and everyone was in consensus that Landeskog was the most NHL ready prospect.
Maybe Grigorenko and Murray fall but I doubt it. I think the locks are still there.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Sportsnet ‏ @Sportsnet

Nail #Yakupov will miss the rest of the regular season for Sarnia
I haven't heard anything about this until now. I don't think it will affect Nail so much, but I can't remember a draft that had so many question marks due to injury.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...akupov_injury/

Last edited by Neilio: 03-12-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Link
Old
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I haven't heard anything about this until now. I don't think it will affect Nail so much, but I can't remember a draft that had so many question marks due to injury.
Agreed, it's just nuts, I wonder if he starts to drop on the rankings, someone gets him as a monster steal at around 5 to 7, that would be crazy.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Ive seen him give explanations for why he has who ranked where. I dont think he trifles in order to stir up the pot. He is a scout with over 20yrs experience. I doubt he wants to risk his reputation playing games like that.

I suppose it is possible, but it would be highly doubtful imo.
That's the thing. He's spent so much time scouting that the only reason I think of for him to make such weird statements is to boost ratings.

For example, this past summer he did a one-year-later look at the 2010 draft. Hall was #2 because apparently he can't excel without a good centre. Jarred Tinordi moved up fourteen spots to 8. Might my inner Narnia talking but something isn't kosher about Button's lists.

Closed Thread