HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Stu Bickel and not Tim Erixon?

Old
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Bickel is here over Erixon because he's a right handed shot, that simple. If Erixon played with a stick curved in the other direction, he'd probably be here. He's not because, barring some misfortune with this Del Zotto situation, the left side of the defensive corps is pretty stacked.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Is it a remote possibility, even with such high praise from management, that Erixon gets to the big club and is not a "torts" player?
He just needs to fill out his frame more. DZ for example, if playing much more physical this year. Erixon needs to bulk up. He's got the smarts to be a very good defenseman in this league.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:14 AM
Fanned On It

Bickel's been playing way better than I thought he'd be... I've got no problem with him. Stralman on the other hand has been slipping slightly... hopefully he can get that back on track because for a while there he was playing well.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Is it a remote possibility, even with such high praise from management, that Erixon gets to the big club and is not a "torts" player?
They play the same system in Hartford, and Schoenfeld keeps the communication between clubs constant. They're shaping him up to be a Torts player down there.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:33 AM
eco's bones

Bickel is here because he's stronger and more physical than Erixon is right now--and more pro-active about it too. Tim needs to get stronger--and he needs to be more aggressive on the puck at least at the NHL level. He cannot afford to always let the play come to him. Bickel fills the role of 5-7 d-man better than Erixon does.

That probably is going to change within the next year or so and there's no doubt that Erixon is going to be the superior player but Bickel is ready for the role he is playing with the Rangers--right now and Erixon is still finding his game. I do suspect that by next training camp Erixon is going to be much more ready than he is now.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

1. Erixon isn't physically strong enough for the NHL right now.
2. They don't want him playing 10 minutes a night with the Rangers when he could be playing 24-26 minutes a night with the Whalepack.
3. Bickel adds more grit to the lineup and has proven to be a solid option on the bottom pairing.

Pretty cut and dry. No politics or handedness issues involved here.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
The search for a whipping boy begins...
The whipping boy of the week is already....Mitchell.

Next week? I think Stralman or Bickle take it. Richards can potentially earn his last week's win as whipping boy.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers should re-sign Bicks. He will be a group 6. Bickel can play some wing too. Right handed shots are hard to find. A two year deal for decent 1 way $ would work for both sides. $750,000-$800,000 per.

Timmy needs to put some meat on his bones. That's a natural progression as he gets older.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers should re-sign Bicks. He will be a group 6. Bickel can play some wing too. Right handed shots are hard to find. A two year deal for decent 1 way $ would work for both sides. $750,000-$800,000 per.
totally agree. he's been very good lately and provides good depth since he can play forward too like you said...even if erixon makes the jump and/or sauer gets healthy and bickell is forced out of the top 6, he still has value as a depth guy.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Crease

Bickel reminds me of Sauer. Obviously Sauer is a bit better but they play very similar styles.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:59 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Timmy needs to put some meat on his bones. That's a natural progression as he gets older.
Anything under a million and I absolutely resign Bickel.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
useref15

I'd love to re-sign Bickel. He seems like the type of guy who loves playing here, and would take any type of deal we give him just to stay in the league. Without the Rangers, he is probably never in the NHL, but now we see what he can do.

You can see Torts is beginning to warm up to him and giving him ice time in the 3rd, which he didn't when he first started here. If Torts remains confident, and Bickel plays his game, I don't see why he can't stay on the 3rd pairing. Put him along with Sauer next year, and thats a great 3rd pairing, if Sauer is healthy.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Add me to the re-sign Bickel club. Kid has been a great find.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Bickel would be a good guy to bring back on the cheap as a #7 defenseman. imho, he should not be playing regular minutes.

its a shame Stralmans game has fallen off the face of the planet recently. I really liked what he brought (much more so than Bickel) when he was going.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Bickel would be a good guy to bring back on the cheap as a #7 defenseman. imho, he should not be playing regular minutes.

its a shame Stralmans game has fallen off the face of the planet recently. I really liked what he brought (much more so than Bickel) when he was going.
I don't know if Stralman's game has fallen off that badly. He has one MAJOR glaring flaw that teams are starting to take advantage of. His positioning defending the rush has been a major problem. He is getting beat a lot to the outside because he is not anticipating speed from the puck carrier. Other than that though(minus a couple brain farts) he has been largely solid.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I don't know if Stralman's game has fallen off that badly. He has one MAJOR glaring flaw that teams are starting to take advantage of. His positioning defending the rush has been a major problem. He is getting beat a lot to the outside because he is not anticipating speed from the puck carrier. Other than that though(minus a couple brain farts) he has been largely solid.
but that one flaw is HUGE right now. he's just reading plays all wrong, the forwards are getting behind him in the neutral zone on plays where he has NO IDEA that someone has snuck in behind him. it's happening several times a night. i cant even begin to count the number of times he's been saved by a play being slightly offsides.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
but that one flaw is HUGE right now. he's just reading plays all wrong, the forwards are getting behind him in the neutral zone on plays where he has NO IDEA that someone has snuck in behind him. it's happening several times a night. i cant even begin to count the number of times he's been saved by a play being slightly offsides.
Well he still is good in the corners, defending the cycle, and carrying pucks out of the zone. But his transition reads are a problem, I agree.

It might be he is a tad uncomfortable playing without MDZ.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Keep in mind, that the most likely suspect will always be a defenseman.

Team's in first. Likely favorite to come out of the East (doesn't mean they will) and some fans have issues with number 6 defensemen. Good stuff.
Yup, even though the problem has been with the lack of scoring from the forwards. Someone needs to put the puck in the net outside Callahan who's been hurt and Gabby who runs hot and cold. AA has add nice offensive touches here and there for support maybe a tad from Hagelin. Outside that the rest of the team has been duds Lines 2-3-4. No secondary scoring at all. It's a sad day when coaching staff is consistently forced to rely on John Mitchel for offense.

Boyle 6 + Fedotenko 8 + Dubinsky 7 + Mitchell 5 + Rupp 4 + Prust 5= 35 goals on the year. Dubinsky has the highest point total with 26pts in 63 games. Anton Stralman has as many or more points in than half of them 16pts in 44 games. Stalman has as many or more points than half those forwards and has played fewer games than all of them. Prust's recent rush of points lately puts him over Stralman by only 1 pt.

You can't ask much more from guys like Rupp and Prust who are really 4th line bangers. But Dubinsky, Fedotenko, and Boyle need to put the puck in the frickin net. 21 goals for the year between them doesn't cut it.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Bickel is here because he's stronger and more physical than Erixon is right now--and more pro-active about it too. Tim needs to get stronger--and he needs to be more aggressive on the puck at least at the NHL level. He cannot afford to always let the play come to him. Bickel fills the role of 5-7 d-man better than Erixon does.

That probably is going to change within the next year or so and there's no doubt that Erixon is going to be the superior player but Bickel is ready for the role he is playing with the Rangers--right now and Erixon is still finding his game. I do suspect that by next training camp Erixon is going to be much more ready than he is now.
Two very different issues that people tend to merge. Putting some meat on a "kids bones" is a lot different than changing someone's on ice makeup. Erixon is not an aggressive guy. He will stick out greatly with how this team plays, and from the time we've seen him he's been timid, weak on the puck, and occassionally one to throw snow in the face of a hit.

I love the guy's skill, but I am not so sold on him on being this great dman. Especially after coming after defensively sound guys like Staal, McD, Girardi. I am very cautious of him turning out to be a Gilroy.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
smoneil

Question for those of you who get to regularly watch the Whalepack:

What side does Erixon line up on, the left or the right? I know that he's a natural LD, but part of his hype was that he could play either side comfortably. With McD, Staal and MDZ all on the left (and with each of them being tried, dismally, on the right), it would seem that Erixon's best chance of being a regular is to either switch sides or hope for an injury.

Anyone know if he's being groomed on the RD down in the AHL? If not, why the hell not?

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Two very different issues that people tend to merge. Putting some meat on a "kids bones" is a lot different than changing someone's on ice makeup. Erixon is not an aggressive guy. He will stick out greatly with how this team plays, and from the time we've seen him he's been timid, weak on the puck, and occassionally one to throw snow in the face of a hit.

I love the guy's skill, but I am not so sold on him on being this great dman. Especially after coming after defensively sound guys like Staal, McD, Girardi. I am very cautious of him turning out to be a Gilroy.
Let's call it gap control. You cannot lay back too much and you've probably heard Torts say over and over again since he's become our coach how he wants his players to pressure the opposition. He got Stralman to do it and Anton strikes me as a guy who'd rather lay back. Redden was content to just stay in his lane and collect his $6.5 mil. Where's he now? Not coming back either. MDZ went to the minors over that issue last year. Erixon will have to do the same if he wants to make the Rangers. Putting on some muscle won't hurt either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Bleed Blue 24 7
Tickets = Overpriced

Am I the only one who thinks stralman has been playing extremely well defensively ? the guy also has a pretty decent slapper that just hasn't been able to find twine. He is one of the best checkers on the team with a deadly hip check. Recently he has made some mistakes but I firmly believe he is extremely underrated.

Bleed Blue 24 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue 24 7 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks stralman has been playing extremely well defensively ?
He has been backsliding in a major way.
Quote:
the guy also has a pretty decent slapper that just hasn't been able to find twine.
his entire offensive game has been highly overrated.
Quote:
He is one of the best checkers on the team with a deadly hip check.
he has made use of it once. Aside from that one time, calling hm one of the best checkers is suspect.
Quote:
Recently he has made some mistakes but I firmly believe he is extremely underrated.
He has been a pleasant surprise, but is regressign to the norm. Not sure that a discussion about Stralman belongs in this thread, but in the last two weeks, he has been outplayed by Bickel. That said, if resigned, Erixon has to be be able to outplay Stralman in order to be even a consideration for next years' team. I think that Erixon is due for another year in Hartford, while Bickel & Stralman compete for the #6 defenseman spot next year. IF Sauer is healthy. Eminger will probably be somehow in the mix for a backup spot as well.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Bleed Blue 24 7
Tickets = Overpriced

hmm I guess there is no way to prove it w/o video because you say his checking is bad I say its good. I know what I see, and what I see is a solid defensive player who has a good poke check and can stop players from passing him. I never said his offense is great I said he has a good shot that doesn't go through. Just because someone doesn't score does not mean they are terrible offensively.

Bleed Blue 24 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue 24 7 View Post
hmm I guess there is no way to prove it w/o video because you say his checking is bad I say its good. I know what I see, and what I see is a solid defensive player who has a good poke check and can stop players from passing him. I never said his offense is great I said he has a good shot that doesn't go through. Just because someone doesn't score does not mean they are terrible offensively.
I did not say that he is a terrible offensive player. Just overrated. The reality is if he has a good shot, and it does not get through, what good is it? Better off with a quick wrister that at least gets through to the goalie. Overall, I find his offensive game to be fairly pedestrian,

As for stopping players from passing him, that has gone south in the past several weeks. I do not see this great "checker".

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote