HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
10-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
If they have their choice of vehicles they should get a new RV..

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue897 View Post
The ending was good. But why did they let a kid walk up to a deer? I get thats what makes the storyline work, but who does that? It is a wild animal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Thats one thing I couldn't understand. They are looking at a river of abandoned cars, most probably with the keys still in them. Why not just get a new one that doesn't have persistent engine problems.
heh,

Its kind of funny when people are talking about improbable and unrealistic events that transpire in a series based on comic books about the reanimated walking dead in an apocalyptic world..

As if the abject realism has been destroyed when yet another plot device suspends reanimated reality..

Theres some humor to be had there somewhere.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Less commercial breaks are needed though, so frustrating to watch the same crappy ads more than the actual show.

sure, but that's the price that the viewer pays for that first half with little to nothing for advertisement breaks.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Puritania

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
sure, but that's the price that the viewer pays for that first half with little to nothing for advertisement breaks.
Yeah, still. I hate advertising.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:56 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Yeah, still. I hate advertising.
well yeah no duh ads suck.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I haven't been able to get into Mad Men, just not sure why. I have tried watching since it got added to Netflix, and it doesn't grab me.
I feel the same way about Mad Men so many people like it and it seems like a show that I would like, but whenever the shows end I'm like that was pretty good, but I have no predilection to watch another episode.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
First half of the 2nd season was pretty slow, heading in a bad direction, but I gatta say this second half is back to its bad ass self. Gatta love a show that isn't afraid to knock off some of its lead characters. Can't wait for the last episode!

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Tyrolean

The show keeps my attention with tension and action but the premise seems implausible.

How can the army not annihilate the Zombies with their tanks and heavy weapons? The Zombies seem very stupid and just wander around. It's only when they are in lkarge groups do they really pose a threat.

Sinve they don't have heavy weapons why can't a few tanks and napalm obilterate them?

Last edited by Tyrolean: 03-12-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:43 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
The show keeps my attention with tension and action but the premise seems implausible.

How can the army not annihilate the Zombies with their tanks and heavy weapons? The Zombies seem very stupid and just wander around. It's only when they are in lkarge groups do they really pose a threat.

Sinve they don't have heavy weapons why can't a few tanks and naplam obilterate them?
I think the problem arises when your buddy sitting next to you in the tank who accidentally got some zombie blood in a paper cut bites you before you know what happened.

The military would have to kill anything that moved, human or zombie, in order to prevent it spreading too fast.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I think the problem arises when your buddy sitting next to you in the tank who accidentally got some zombie blood in a paper cut bites you before you know what happened.

The military would have to kill anything that moved, human or zombie, in order to prevent it spreading too fast.
Yes, then why are the survivors able to fight side by side and the soldiers are overwhelmed? I like the idea of trying tio survive in an apocalypse but the details need to be more realistic.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 03-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Yes, then why are the sruvivors able to fight side by side and the soldiers are overwhelmed? I like the idea of trying tio survive in an apocalypse but the details need to be more realistic.
The survivors have had time to deal with the reality of a zombie invasion. Most people didn't become "survivors".

How many people could take orders and open fire into a crowd? I know military personell are trained to take orders, but many people would hesitate.

They are also trained to shoot into the chest, not the head. Also they are trained to recover wounded brothers in arms. Boom suddenly behind the front lines you have hundreds of zombies in the support areas and military hospitals.

You have normal people freaking out fighting the military because they don't want to die as well. People start looting, going crazy. Then the psychological breakdowns happening all over.

The worlds military isn't being trained to shoot the population of New York in the head with small arms. All the bombs and technology don't do much against mindlessd drones. All those spy planes and drones do nothing.

Not to mention it would take how many days before it was offically declared a zombie outbreak? People would not kill friends and family. Police are trained to detain not kill.

They haven't gotten into how it started, did suddenly 5% of the population turn in their sleep? Was it a patient zero. Was it just people who died during a 24 hour period?

The amount of people stuck in gridlocked traffic alone would cut off every neighbourhood from outside assistance.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
The survivors have had time to deal with the reality of a zombie invasion. Most people didn't become "survivors".

How many people could take orders and open fire into a crowd? I know military personell are trained to take orders, but many people would hesitate.

They are also trained to shoot into the chest, not the head. Also they are trained to recover wounded brothers in arms. Boom suddenly behind the front lines you have hundreds of zombies in the support areas and military hospitals.

You have normal people freaking out fighting the military because they don't want to die as well. People start looting, going crazy. Then the psychological breakdowns happening all over.

The worlds military isn't being trained to shoot the population of New York in the head with small arms. All the bombs and technology don't do much against mindlessd drones. All those spy planes and drones do nothing.

Not to mention it would take how many days before it was offically declared a zombie outbreak? People would not kill friends and family. Police are trained to detain not kill.

They haven't gotten into how it started, did suddenly 5% of the population turn in their sleep? Was it a patient zero. Was it just people who died during a 24 hour period?
That's true in the beginning, but after a while when the humans get separated from the Zombies, I would think the military would have a fallback plan or base like in Cheyenne mountain where they can prepare to mount gradual assaults to take back the land.

We don't know if there even is any substantial miltary presence left though, but they did find a research center than was inpregnable once.

Anyways it's fun to see what happens next. I just find it hard to suspend belief on this.

Police in Syria, Libya and China have no problem kiling their own people in masses though.

Old
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
That's true in the beginning, but after a while when the humans get separated from the Zombies, I would think the military would have a fallback plan or base like in Cheyenne mountain where they can prepare to mount gradual assaults to take back the land.

We don't know if there even is any substantial miltary presence left though, but they did find a research center than was inpregnable once.

Anyways it's fun to see what happens next. I just find it hard to suspend belief on this.

Police in Syria, Libya and China have no problem kiling their own people in masses though.
Who says the middle east is overrun? Maybe North America and Europe got the worst of it.

We have no idea what is happening out west. The sure population out east would be hard to maintain. Think about it, how many days can the 10,000,000 New Yorkers survive without the thousands of truckloads of food going into the city each day.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Master Lok

I'm making the assumption is that the military got overrun and there is little military organization left.

From the series so far (I haven't read the comics), we've seen merely a collection of humans out of the millions that used to live in Georgia. Much less than 1% survival rate. It doesn't look like many humans are left in the world.

We don't know why. Maybe military personnel abandoned their posts in order to protect their families? Maybe they rescued wounded comrades who later arose as zombies to attack them from fortified positions?

Lately, we've seen zombies arise without even getting bit.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:

Well given that the military is essentially outnumbered by civilians in extremely high numbers, its not out of the question that they could be over run in a short time.

1. The Navy is all but useless against Zombies.
2. The air force requires fuel and supplies and secure bases.
2. The actual number of combat troops in the Army is only a fraction of its actual size. And a good chunk of those are overseas.

It wouldn't be too long before they just have to batten down the hatches and go into full defense mode. If there are hundreds of millions of zombies cutting off supply chains and posing a constant threat, you can't do much. Every patrol you take outside your protected area makes you weaker.

The best bet, IMO would be to wait it out somewhere secure. Zombies are still flesh and blood that will rot away eventually. How long does it take an exposed body to decompose? I'd bet that within three years, most of the bodies will be just bones.

Separate question. How come the zombie virus doesn't affect other animals?

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:34 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

Sinve they don't have heavy weapons why can't a few tanks and napalm obilterate them?
The real question is how they keep that one car on the farm so clean all the time. Is Shane going into town weekly to rinse it off?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Someone

If you've read the comics (I'm a nerd, I know), you don't need to be bitten to turn. It was alluded to in the last couple episodes (Shane found no bites on the security guards at the public works yard, the kid Shane killed only had a broken neck, and Shane turned after being shot). So basically, anybody that dies from anything but head trauma would turn.

Couple that with the mass confusion at the beginning, how badly the military is outnumbered, and the lack of cooperation/usefulness among the civilian population and it's not unreasonable to believe it would come to that. And who's to say the military isn't organizing an extermination plan from a secure base? The show only follows one group of people.

Someone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Well given that the military is essentially outnumbered by civilians in extremely high numbers, its not out of the question that they could be over run in a short time.

1. The Navy is all but useless against Zombies.
This show is so interesting with the possible scenarios. At any given time, there are some nuclear powered submarines designed to stay underwater for a very long time. Since a sub is isolated against a virus etc., they would be immune.

I wonder if they got wind of the Zombie invasion as probably when there is no contact from HQ, they would at least be suspicious. The military I imagine has been trained to deal with a possible nuclear fallout since the end of WWII, so it is not inconceivable that they have a survival plan of sorts.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

For the hell of it I've been watching the show. Not many games on Sunday nights..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
The real question is how they keep that one car on the farm so clean all the time. Is Shane going into town weekly to rinse it off?
lol
Yeah he was attending to all the important stuff while everybody else was dicking around. Or alternately cars somehow don't get dirty in a zombie apocalpyse. One of the few advantages to keep in mind..myself I thought all the empty pizza boxes in the backseat was incongruent.

Next the episodes where they are engaging in "target practice" using live rounds was silly WHEN it was happening. Um, lets see, how long before you run out of ammo? Oh, wait, a few episodes. hmmm. Dumb****s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
If you've read the comics (I'm a nerd, I know), you don't need to be bitten to turn. It was alluded to in the last couple episodes (Shane found no bites on the security guards at the public works yard, the kid Shane killed only had a broken neck, and Shane turned after being shot). So basically, anybody that dies from anything but head trauma would turn.

Couple that with the mass confusion at the beginning, how badly the military is outnumbered, and the lack of cooperation/usefulness among the civilian population and it's not unreasonable to believe it would come to that. And who's to say the military isn't organizing an extermination plan from a secure base? The show only follows one group of people.
At the risk of questioning any "reality" based in a zombie apocalpse I find it interesting how nobody has thought of, um lets see, using gloves, a mask, goggles just as "universal precaution" when they're stabbing some zombie in the face and theres zombie juice splattering everywhere. Any open cuts, sores, mouth, eyes, nose are going to be susceptible to virus transfer. Plus they have somebody in their community who's been practicing medicine that would probably have a clue about standard precaution. As would two sheriffs used to dealing with dangerous incidents.

I guess it wouldn't be uber exciting to have "safe" zombie eradication shown.

Finally, all these rural areas and farms and not one chainsaw? Given the lack of safety noted just go hell bells like Jason on these suckers.

More hockey masks and chainsaws. bring it.

Also w t f no scythe laying around for zombieweedwhacking? c'mon.

I am the grim reaper...

Last edited by Replacement: 03-12-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
This shoiw is so interesting with the possible scenarios. At any given time, there are some nuclear powered submarines designed to stay underwater for a very long time. Since a sub is isolated against a virus etc., they would be immune.

I wonder if they got wind of the Zombie invasion as probably when there is no contact from HQ, they would at least be suspicious. The military I imagine has been trained to deal with a possible nuclear fallout since the end of WWII, so it is not inconceivable that they have a survival plan of sorts.
What I mean is that the Navy isn't going to do much on dry land. They may be able to survive for a time, but they'll need supplies sooner or later. Assuming that the virus spreads to the supposed 99% of the population, there would be no safe harbor to dock, unless the found their way to some pretty uninhabited islands. I'm sure there is some kind of survival plan, but it probably doesn't account for zombies.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
What I mean is that the Navy isn't going to do much on dry land. They may be able to survive for a time, but they'll need supplies sooner or later. Assuming that the virus spreads to the supposed 99% of the population, there would be no safe harbor to dock, unless the found their way to some pretty uninhabited islands. I'm sure there is some kind of survival plan, but it probably doesn't account for zombies.
Pretty sure the Navy in a pinch would be able to fish, and harvest drinking water from icebergs as Northern Hemisphere Sailors have been able to do for centuries. Plus you could eat some of the seaweed you'd find. Gotta boil that ice though. Fry the **** out of the fish just in case. Throw back the two headed ones.

You could stock a ship with provisions that would last a good long time. Most major epidemics have a timespan shelf life of sorts. Not like theres a new population of humans to infect as host and keep the virus alive. Most zombies also tend to die from lack of available human diet. Although zombie canibalism can sustain for awhile..

War of attrition haha

Old
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Pretty sure the Navy in a pinch would be able to fish, and harvest drinking water from icebergs as Northern Hemisphere Sailors have been able to do for centuries. Plus you could eat some of the seaweed you'd find. Gotta boil that ice though. Fry the **** out of the fish just in case. Throw back the two headed ones.

You could stock a ship with provisions that would last a good long time. Most major epidemics have a timespan shelf life of sorts. Not like theres a new population of humans to infect as host and keep the virus alive. Most zombies also tend to die from lack of available human diet. Although zombie canibalism can sustain for awhile..

War of attrition haha
True, they could survive for a while. But they aren't going to be much help for anyone else. Certainly not going to re-populate the earth. Submarine crews are notorious sausage parties.

I said a bit earlier that I think after a few years, most zombies will have rotted away into nothing. You just have to wait it out.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:43 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Prediction;

Laurie's unborn baby dies, then Zombifies, then goes all Alien on her ass....

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For the hell of it I've been watching the show. Not many games on Sunday nights..lol
Yeah he was attending to all the important stuff while everybody else was dicking around. Or alternately cars somehow don't get dirty in a zombie apocalpyse. One of the few advantages to keep in mind..myself I thought all the empty pizza boxes in the backseat was incongruent.

Next the episodes where they are engaging in "target practice" using live rounds was silly WHEN it was happening. Um, lets see, how long before you run out of ammo? Oh, wait, a few episodes. hmmm. Dumb****s.

At the risk of questioning any "reality" based in a zombie apocalpse I find it interesting how nobody has thought of, um lets see, using gloves, a mask, goggles just as "universal precaution" when they're stabbing some zombie in the face and theres zombie juice splattering everywhere. Any open cuts, sores, mouth, eyes, nose are going to be susceptible to virus transfer. Plus they have somebody in their community who's been practicing medicine that would probably have a clue about standard precaution. As would two sheriffs used to dealing with dangerous incidents.

I guess it wouldn't be uber exciting to have "safe" zombie eradication shown.

Finally, all these rural areas and farms and not one chainsaw? Given the lack of safety noted just go hell bells like Jason on these suckers.

More hockey masks and chainsaws. bring it.

Also w t f no scythe laying around for zombieweedwhacking? c'mon.

I am the grim reaper...
I don't think people get infected though. I get the sense that everyone is already 'infected' with zombie virus, and as soon as you die, the virus kicks in.

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
OttawaOilFan

Quote:

It's a factional television program. Sometimes you just need to accept thing.

You can't just accept that it's normal for there to be zombies, and not normal that they have overrun humanity.

OttawaOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Jamin

So obviously we dont know how it started. Was it localized or hit everywhere at once. Is it only North America?

If we assume it started localized and started spreading I find it hard to believe that city wouldnt be nuked. Obviously that is extreme and like the one poster is saying military officials arent trained for this. But there is eventually a breaking point.

I just have a hard time seeing any government crumble this fast. Even if every politician in north america died there is at least one general in cheyenne mountain. It can survive a direct nuke attack so you assume it can hold out with all the supplies.

Because if im in command id nuke the whole eastern coast if it meant stopping this plague (assuming military bases, hospitals, refugee centers are all overrun like in the show). Nuke the coast and hope winter plus the rocky mountains starts them. Blow up bridges and tunnels leading across the mountains, air traffic would have been shut down for weeks by this point.

Sure 2/3rds of north america would be destroyed but anything west of the mountains theoretically could be liveable. The question is would having society survive like that be a better option then the way the show portrays it where 99.5% of humans are dead.

Or maybe zombies break out everywhere at the same time and this whole right up was a waste.

It used to bug me but after thinking on it I think its better the show doesnt tell us what happens. Kind of fun to make up your own scenarios

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote