HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
  #326
Shibumi
Registered User
 
Shibumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
What I mean is that the Navy isn't going to do much on dry land. They may be able to survive for a time, but they'll need supplies sooner or later. Assuming that the virus spreads to the supposed 99% of the population, there would be no safe harbor to dock, unless the found their way to some pretty uninhabited islands. I'm sure there is some kind of survival plan, but it probably doesn't account for zombies.
In the books "Day by Day Armageddon, they cover the Navy scenario quite well. One of the nuclear subs surfaces and within a day or so the one dead body that was onboard began to reanimate. They re-supplied from an aircraft carrier.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
  #327
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
So obviously we dont know how it started. Was it localized or hit everywhere at once. Is it only North America?

If we assume it started localized and started spreading I find it hard to believe that city wouldnt be nuked. Obviously that is extreme and like the one poster is saying military officials arent trained for this. But there is eventually a breaking point.

I just have a hard time seeing any government crumble this fast. Even if every politician in north america died there is at least one general in cheyenne mountain. It can survive a direct nuke attack so you assume it can hold out with all the supplies.

Because if im in command id nuke the whole eastern coast if it meant stopping this plague (assuming military bases, hospitals, refugee centers are all overrun like in the show). Nuke the coast and hope winter plus the rocky mountains starts them. Blow up bridges and tunnels leading across the mountains, air traffic would have been shut down for weeks by this point.

Sure 2/3rds of north america would be destroyed but anything west of the mountains theoretically could be liveable. The question is would having society survive like that be a better option then the way the show portrays it where 99.5% of humans are dead.

Or maybe zombies break out everywhere at the same time and this whole right up was a waste.

It used to bug me but after thinking on it I think its better the show doesnt tell us what happens. Kind of fun to make up your own scenarios
The problem with nuking, is that you're destroying everything in a large area for essentially thousands of years. And you'd be killing zombies and live humans, animals, plant life and everything else. Also, you'd be affecting the living things more than the zombies. Outside of the blast radius, I don't think Zombies are going to die of cancer, as an example.

I do agree that you'd want to target some areas like bridges, but apart from water, I don't think there are too many natural barriers that they couldn't get around eventually.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:52 PM
  #328
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 1220
I just don't get how Carl went from this shy, obedient kid to this rebellious dude who steals stuff and walks around in fields late at night.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
  #329
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,654
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
I feel the same way about Mad Men so many people like it and it seems like a show that I would like, but whenever the shows end I'm like that was pretty good, but I have no predilection to watch another episode.
I'm the same way. I got into The Wire, Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, etc... but Mad Men just doesn't interest me.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
  #330
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I just don't get how Carl went from this shy, obedient kid to this rebellious dude who steals stuff and walks around in fields late at night.
Puberty?

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:53 AM
  #331
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I just don't get how Carl went from this shy, obedient kid to this rebellious dude who steals stuff and walks around in fields late at night.
It seems the children of my favorite shows are always annoying. I swear, this Carl kid and the daughter from Californication bug the crap out of me. LOL. Hell, count Jesse in from Breaking Bad, if he's considered a kid. haha.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:02 AM
  #332
JSC
Registered Sniper
 
JSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'm the same way. I got into The Wire, Breaking Bad, the Walking Dead, etc... but Mad Men just doesn't interest me.
Breaking Bad is just unbelievable. The plot and the way things play out is genius. For those who haven't seen it... WATCH IT! Best show on AMC IMO.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
  #333
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Lori might just be the worst character on television. Carl a close second.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
  #334
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Breaking Bad is just unbelievable. The plot and the way things play out is genius. For those who haven't seen it... WATCH IT! Best show on AMC IMO.
I like Walking dead a touch more, but yes BREAKING BAD is awesome.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:16 AM
  #335
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Lori might just be the worst character on television. Carl a close second.
Do you watch Californication? Tell me Lori is worse than Becca. ha

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
  #336
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
It seems the children of my favorite shows are always annoying. I swear, this Carl kid and the daughter from Californication bug the crap out of me. LOL. Hell, count Jesse in from Breaking Bad, if he's considered a kid. haha.
Carl is one of the most annoying characters on TV, i cringe everytime he speaks.
Actually, he and Lori are neck and neck for most annoying with Carol not too far behind (i really wish that Daryl would just shoot her in the head to keep her from creeping on him).

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of the Walking Dead but no character on that show should ever be compared to the acting brilliance that is Breaking Bad.
Jesse (who definitely isn't a kid) is one of the best characters on TV, not annoying at all IMO.
All the talk is about Bryan Cranston and his portrayal of Walter White and deservedly so but Aaron Paul as Jesse is definitely deserving of some awards, he's brilliant.
I just got into the show and watched the first 3 seasons on DVD within about a month, the show is pure genius.
I'm still waiting on Season 4 since i have it on pre-order, can't wait.


Last edited by CupofOil: 03-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
  #337
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Carl is one of the most annoying characters on TV, i cringe everytime he speaks.
Actually, he and Lori are neck and neck for most annoying with Carol not too far behind (i really wish that Daryl would just shoot her in the head to keep her from creeping on him).

Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of the Walking Dead but no character on that show should ever be compared to the acting brilliance that is Breaking Bad.
Jesse (who definitely isn't a kid) is one of the best characters on TV, not annoying at all IMO.
Yeah there was some definite miss on the casting. Or maybe by design. Its hard to like many of the characters and so thus when they meet their end its really not all that big a loss. A sideline involving hope of who books it next. Or a drinking game.

In any zombie program it shouldn't be that hard to be less wooden in portrayal than the backdrop bullet fodder. Although sometimes I'm almost cheering for the hapless zombies. I think we need zombie cheerleaders in some of the scenes just to balance things out..

Carl and Lori are so unlikeable. But then the other characters don't come off so well either.


For some reason I can't get into breaking bad. I know I should like it, and I would generally find the kind of storyline interesting, but whenever I watch it its like it must be an off contrived episode or something. I've watched complete episodes and theres nothing in it that moves me. Feel the same way about Boardwalk Empire. Again I'm fascinated with the period, I should like the subject matter, I even like many of the actors, but I find the program wastes the performances. Lots of money, great actors, poor script and lines. I just don't care about any of the wooden characters.

I think so many of these HBO, AMC type series comes up these days I never know which ones to commit to as I just don't like sitting countless hours trying to like something. Sopranos and Six Feet Under were good. I've not found anything that matches these shows.

I don't take Walking Dead seriously, just easy to watch escape entertainment.


Last edited by Replacement: 03-20-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
  #338
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Do you watch Californication? Tell me Lori is worse than Becca. ha
Yes but the silver lining in Becca is Hank. Whenever Becca is on screen Hank is close by.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:21 PM
  #339
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
<3 Walking Dead. Can't wait to see more of the prison and Michonne!

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:30 PM
  #340
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
<3 Walking Dead. Can't wait to see more of the prison and Michonne!

seconded. The 2nd season was slow at times, but it had a satisfactory ending that made it worth watching. I'm curious as to how nasty the prison will be. it was pretty nasty at the start in the comics.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
  #341
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yes but the silver lining in Becca is Hank. Whenever Becca is on screen Hank is close by.
Without knowing either of these characters this sounds a little odd ftr..

Kind of like saying you can't stand Angelina Jolie except Brad Pitt is close by..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
  #342
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Without knowing either of these characters this sounds a little odd ftr..

Kind of like saying you can't stand Angelina Jolie except Brad Pitt is close by..
I'm saying Hank is what makes Californication. So no matter how annoying his teenage daughter is, it is usually overshadowed by Hanks entrance into the scene.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
  #343
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,575
vCash: 500
I think your problem with those shows Replacement is you have watched an episode here or there, but you absolutely need to watch them in order, without missing an episode.

I couldn't watch them here and there. Same with Mad Men.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:36 PM
  #344
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
seconded. The 2nd season was slow at times, but it had a satisfactory ending that made it worth watching. I'm curious as to how nasty the prison will be. it was pretty nasty at the start in the comics.
Michonne is (by far) my favorite character from the comics, so i'm hoping they don't screw her character up as they have 50% of the other characters

the jail is the best part of the comic series (so far) in my opinion, so it should be pretty good in the TV series

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
  #345
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm saying Hank is what makes Californication. So no matter how annoying his teenage daughter is, it is usually overshadowed by Hanks entrance into the scene.
Whoops, nevermind, I had no idea who the characters are..

I could see how a teenage daughter migt be annoying.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
  #346
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade
 
CanadianCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Michonne is (by far) my favorite character from the comics, so i'm hoping they don't screw her character up as they have 50% of the other characters

the jail is the best part of the comic series (so far) in my opinion, so it should be pretty good in the TV series

The prison will give them a lot to work with. the farm wasn't bad, but a farm environment is not real stressful (at least until the end). the prison is going to be an exercise in patience and hard work on the part of the group, esp. considering that, unlike the comics, they're stumbling into the prison with no outside lifeline.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:43 PM
  #347
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Whoops, nevermind, I had no idea who the characters are..

I could see how a teenage daughter migt be annoying.
IMO anyone who complains about Becca being annoying isn't watching the show for what it is. Beccas character is only there to show Hanks better side and someone he wants to protect and wants to make good decisions in life. But ultimately is a terribly role model for because the decisions he constantly makes are against his better judgement.

Up until anyone actually mentioned to me how annoying she was I was kind of like yeah I guess she is annoying but for the most part I look past it because for the most part she has very little to do with the entirety of the show.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
  #348
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I think your problem with those shows Replacement is you have watched an episode here or there, but you absolutely need to watch them in order, without missing an episode.

I couldn't watch them here and there. Same with Mad Men.
Yeah, probably right.

I've heard breaking bad really requires sequential watching.

Trouble is once you do it wrong order you kind of wreck it. I happened to watch enough breaking bad half way through that I immediately was put off by the characters. Not really like or dislike, just waiting for the show to be over. Thus at this point I wouldn't bond with the characters even if I watched because I find them tiring. I do TV all wrong

At least with the Oilers its easy to follow the script..



I like Mad Men and find I can watch any of the programs and Kind of get a feel for the show. I just don't dedicate the time to watching them all. None of them capture me enough to put that much time into it.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  #349
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For some reason I can't get into breaking bad. I know I should like it, and I would generally find the kind of storyline interesting, but whenever I watch it its like it must be an off contrived episode or something. I've watched complete episodes and theres nothing in it that moves me.
I'm surprised that you don't like BB, there is a lot of thought provoking psychological stuff in there that i thought would peak your interest.

How many episodes have you watched?
The reason i ask is because you can't truly appreciate the show until you watch a couple of seasons. There are so many different storylines that are happening from many different angles and the tension escalates more and more as the series goes by.
I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite shows of all time, i'm very picky and generally find flaws in just about every show but this show is pretty much flawless IMO and there is not one character that annoys me although Walter's wife can annoy me at times.

You should really give it a chance and watch the first 3 seasons but watch the episodes in order from the Pilot Episode on otherwise you won't know what's going on, i think that you might change your mind.


Last edited by CupofOil: 03-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
  #350
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,154
vCash: 500
Lori has become one of the most hated people on TV. Fantastic job by the writers and actress especially since there is no real "villian" after Shane.

Game of Thrones starts back up in a few weeks! I personally think that is the best show on TV. Love Walking Dead,Breaking Bad and Mad Men too though.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.