HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Jones is nowhere near NHL ready. He's not even near AHL ready. From a pro hockey perspective, he's easily 20lbs underweight for his frame and that is weight that he is going to have to put on and carry.

He's a top prospect for his draft year but NHL in 13-14?

Given his present stage of development, no way.
Agree to disagree I guess. I just think that with another 18 months under his belt, the kid will be very very close to NHL ready, if not fully ready.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Edges7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Agree to disagree I guess. I just think that with another 18 months under his belt, the kid will be very very close to NHL ready, if not fully ready.
He's not even 200lbs - ignore his wiki page - and his speed now is sometimes suspect. At the NHL level, he's going to be going up against heavier forwards with lower centers of gravity who are all faster by a significant factor than what he plays against now.

As of now, the player is a legit Top 10 pick next year and a legit pro-prospect; that is not in dispute. But, he's a project. The fact is, there are several defensemen from last year's draft who are still playing CHL hockey, who are better than Jones and are still not NHL ready.

Last edited by Edges7: 03-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old
03-08-2012, 01:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
He's not even 200lbs - ignore his wiki page - and his speed now is sometimes suspect. At the NHL level, he's going to be going up against heavier forwards with lower centers of gravity who are all faster by a significant factor than what he plays against now.

As of now, the player is a legit Top 10 pick next year and a legit pro-prospect but he's a project. That is not in duispute/ The fact is, there are several defensemen from last year's draft who are still playing CHL hockey, who are better than Jones and are still not NHL ready.
You seem to be quite the expert on the future, so go ahead and have your opinions. A kid can come a long way in 18 months, which is how long it will be until he hits his first NHL training camp. I think he'll be a legit threat to jump into the NHL straight out of the draft.

You surely don't have to agree, but that's my opinion.

This will all be closer to reality if he plays in the WHL, too...with a more frequent game schedule and a closer to NHL type of day to day life.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Edges7

Quote:
You seem to be quite the expert on the
Without going into great detail, I have experience with the 1987, 89, 92 and 94/95 birth years in the US. Out of those, my experience with both 1989 and 1994 birth years is pretty extensive. I've seen Jones play since he was a PeeWee for the Colorado Thunderbirds.

Quote:
This will all be closer to reality if he plays in the WHL, too...with a more frequent game schedule and a closer to NHL type of day to day life.
Jones, as I see him, is only going to get better, I agree.

Do you believe that Seth Jones is better than Ryan Murray or Matt Dumba?

My two cents is that Jones' current pro-counterpart is Simon Despres and I believe that he will develop along a similar path. I'll asterisk by saying Despres is probably one of the best AHL defenseman not playing in the NHL. If he weren't in the Pens' organization he probably would be. He's 20.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
wej20

Quote:
Without going into great detail, I have experience with the 1987, 89, 92 and 94/95 birth years in the US. Out of those, my experience with both 1989 and 1994 birth years is pretty extensive. I've seen Jones play since he was a PeeWee for the Colorado Thunderbirds.

My two cents is that Jones' current pro-counterpart is Simon Despres and I believe that he will develop along a similar path. I'll asterisk by saying Despres is probably one of the best AHL defenseman not playing in the NHL. If he weren't in the Pens' organization he probably would be. He's 20.
Despres' skating is one of his biggest strengths though.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:

Do you mean currently or as a prospect going forward? That's a big distinction to make.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
lol, perhaps if he were a 5'11" cornfed, white boy...he might blend in and be "unknown" in Grand Forks.

A 6'5" Black guy wearing "Sioux Hockey"(or Fighting Green Beans...whatever the name will be...) sweats....walking around in North Dakota? Yea...people will know who he is. lol.
Come on bro. Don't insult us up here. There is plenty of diversity here on campus. Pretty much everyone here wears hockey related stuff, not just the players.

He might be mistook as a basketball player, football player, or simply another student. Its not 5'9" white males everywhere on campus.

I have seen nothing of Seth's play personally, but from what i've read and heard i'm hoping he decides to commit here.

Old
03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Come on bro. Don't insult us up here. There is plenty of diversity here on campus. Pretty much everyone here wears hockey related stuff, not just the players.

He might be mistook as a basketball player, football player, or simply another student. Its not 5'9" white males everywhere on campus.

I have seen nothing of Seth's play personally, but from what i've read and heard i'm hoping he decides to commit here.
Sup bro, I live in Fargo.

I know all about UND culture.

Was a joke, bro.

Old
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Do you mean currently or as a prospect going forward? That's a big distinction to make.
I mean right now. Compare him to Murray and Dumba.

My opinion is that he is not the player that either of them are.

The next question is do you believe that either Murray or Dumba is NHL ready?

I have a minority opinion here in that I believe Dumba is closer than Murray but my guess is that Dumba is probably not.

Jones, should he continue to develop as he fills out and gets some consistency with his speed is going to be a very good NHL defenseman - in three or four years.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I mean right now. Compare him to Murray and Dumba.

My opinion is that he is not the player that either of them are.

The next question is do you believe that either Murray or Dumba is NHL ready?

I have a minority opinion here in that I believe Dumba is closer than Murray but my guess is that Dumba is probably not.

Jones, should he continue to develop as he fills out and gets some consistency with his speed is going to be a very good NHL defenseman - in three or four years.
Well of course those two are further ahead. They have had a full extra year of growth and experience at this point in time. I've never said that I think Jones is currently a better player than either of those two.

Do I think those two are better prospects than Jones? Not at all. I think he has much more potential going forward.

I also think he's closer to reaching that potential than you are giving him credit for. With another 18-24 months under his belt, the fall following his draft year (2013), playing a CHL-style schedule, he could be potentially be ready to make the pro jump.

Style-wise, he definitely compares more to Murray than Dumba though. He's also much more raw and has way more size and growth potential than either of them.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Style-wise, he definitely compares more to Murray than Dumba though.
Agree.

Quote:
He's also much more raw and has way more size and growth potential than either of them.
Jones isn't done growing, in my opinion, which, in the long run, is good but in the short run for filling out, which he needs to do, is not.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agree.

Jones isn't done growing, in my opinion, which, in the long run, is good but in the short run for filling out, which he needs to do, is not.
Baby-face = more growth IMHO.

I think Jones could end up at 6'7"

Old
03-12-2012, 09:41 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Needs more size + More time to focus on getting bigger in the NCAA = Welcome to the Sioux buddy. Simple equation really.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

He's going to get taller if he plays NCAA lol?

Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
He's going to get taller if he plays NCAA lol?
Bulk up homie, but yes, it is a well known fact that you also get taller after joining the NCAA.

Old
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

The NCAA plays less games, obviously that would leave him at home more often to take advantage of the world class weight training facilities many universities have. I've never personally been to UND's campus, but considering how much money was spent on the arena I would assume they have pretty damn nice facilities.

Another thing to consider, which not sure if it's been mentioned is his age. Had he been born in early September instead of early October he is eligible for this years draft, which makes him likely to be either signed by an NHL team or influenced to play junior so teams have more control of the player and can see him at full training camp. Many Michigan fans are afraid something like that could happen with Jones NTDP teammate Jacob Trouba. None of that will be in play in this situation as Seth is a late 94 birthday. Also, if Seth goes to Everett this year he is considered a CHL player and as part of the CHL-NHL agreement he would only be eligible to play in the NHL or Everett during the 2013-2014 season, but if he goes to college next season he could play one year at UND and then either decide to return to college or sign with whatever team drafts him, should he sign he is considered a college player which would allow whatever team that drafts him to send him to their AHL affiliate with the potential to be called up to the NHL at anytime during his first season. I know this has all been discussed to him by his advisers now the ball is in his court.

Everett put on the fullcourt press to try and get him to come this season and he didn't come. They will surely try again this summer. I don't think money will be a factor, and no matter where this kid plays this coming year he will be a very very high pick in 2013.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
The NCAA plays less games, obviously that would leave him at home more often to take advantage of the world class weight training facilities many universities have. I've never personally been to UND's campus, but considering how much money was spent on the arena I would assume they have pretty damn nice facilities.
Another thing to consider, which not sure if it's been mentioned is his age. Had he been born in early September instead of early October he is eligible for this years draft, which makes him likely to be either signed by an NHL team or influenced to play junior so teams have more control of the player and can see him at full training camp. Many Michigan fans are afraid something like that could happen with Jones NTDP teammate Jacob Trouba. None of that will be in play in this situation as Seth is a late 94 birthday. Also, if Seth goes to Everett this year he is considered a CHL player and as part of the CHL-NHL agreement he would only be eligible to play in the NHL or Everett during the 2013-2014 season, but if he goes to college next season he could play one year at UND and then either decide to return to college or sign with whatever team drafts him, should he sign he is considered a college player which would allow whatever team that drafts him to send him to their AHL affiliate with the potential to be called up to the NHL at anytime during his first season. I know this has all been discussed to him by his advisers now the ball is in his court.

Everett put on the fullcourt press to try and get him to come this season and he didn't come. They will surely try again this summer. I don't think money will be a factor, and no matter where this kid plays this coming year he will be a very very high pick in 2013.
The men's hockey team has it's own state of the art facility in the arena itself. They have Xray and MRI machines, world class equipment, and 24/7 access to the rink to skate. I would say that there are very few NHL facilities that can compare.

That being said, I still expect him to go the CHL route but would be thrilled if he came to UND. The top 3 defenders would be Jordan Schmaltz, Derek Forbort, and Seth Jones, that is some big time talent!

Old
03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
30whales

Seth, where are you?

Old
03-19-2012, 02:00 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
The men's hockey team has it's own state of the art facility in the arena itself. They have Xray and MRI machines, world class equipment, and 24/7 access to the rink to skate. I would say that there are very few NHL facilities that can compare.

That being said, I still expect him to go the CHL route but would be thrilled if he came to UND. The top 3 defenders would be Jordan Schmaltz, Derek Forbort, and Seth Jones, that is some big time talent!
A little off-topic, but thought I'd jump on the chance since you seem to be a big fan of UND. How has Dillon Simpson looked this year, can you describe his game a bit and what you think his potential is.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
A little off-topic, but thought I'd jump on the chance since you seem to be a big fan of UND. How has Dillon Simpson looked this year, can you describe his game a bit and what you think his potential is.
I personally like him. I don't think he is the best skater though.

Old
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He has really taken a step forward this year with his game. His defensive game is much improved and it is clear from watching him the he has above average offensive instincts. His skating isn't ideal and that is something that he has been improving on, but it won't ever hinder his play.

Right now he is developing into a two-way defenseman. He has a decent shot, is much better position wise, and has a good first pass. He isn't overly physical and could use some more work on his skating still.

With all that being said he has developed nicely and should be seeing consistent top 4 time next year with Blood graduating and Forbort possibly leaving. He seems to have been passed over for power-play time though by a freshman in Nick Mattson(6th round pick of the blackhawks), but his defensive game is taking off quite nicely.

I don't honestly expect him to do much in the NHL though long-term. He may develop into a bottom pairing 6/7 type defender much to same as what Taylor Chorney for the Oilers has turned into. Like him as a player, just don't think his game will translate to the pro's that well.

Old
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Where has Seth Jones talked about going to UND? Why UND? Why not DU or CC or somewhere in Colorado where he first was exposed to hockey?

Old
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Where has Seth Jones talked about going to UND? Why UND? Why not DU or CC or somewhere in Colorado where he first was exposed to hockey?
Why not UND? Great fan base, great tradition, great facilities, great hockey!

Old
03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30whales View Post
Why not UND? Great fan base, great tradition, great facilities, great hockey!
But I go to the University of Denver I can say the same about us

Old
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
30whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
But I go to the University of Denver I can say the same about us
Very true, but I heard his favorite color is green

Closed Thread