HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now this is an interesting spreadsheet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
  #1
Emanresu Wen
Registered User
 
Emanresu Wen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Now this is an interesting spreadsheet


http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0VC4Vacv9P...+%28Feb%29.JPG

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
  #2
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
whats CHIP stand for?

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
  #3
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
whats CHIP stand for?
cap hit injured players?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
  #4
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
cap hit injured players?
Yup.

No surprise, we lost Gionta and Markov for tons of games. Messes everything up.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
  #5
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yup.

No surprise, we lost Gionta and Markov for tons of games. Messes everything up.
How does that mess everything up? Our top goal scorer from last year as well as our best defencemen lost a ton of games. It's exactly the point of those stats. If Gomez would of been out for most of the season than you would of had a point since he does not merit much of his cap hit but it's not the case here. (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by it messes everything up)

x-bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:52 PM
  #6
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
How does that mess everything up? Our top goal scorer from last year as well as our best defencemen lost a ton of games. It's exactly the point of those stats. If Gomez would of been out for most of the season than you would of had a point since he does not merit much of his cap hit but it's not the case here. (Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by it messes everything up)
I meant it messes up the season... which I think you realized by the end of your post

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
  #7
AcadiaAxeMan
Registered User
 
AcadiaAxeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Nice to throw out accounting spreadsheets - nice to have a guide to explain what it means - I ain't no Shakespeare - yet I don't ride the short bus!! Throw us a bone Yoda!

Got it - WTF is AMIP??


Last edited by AcadiaAxeMan: 03-12-2012 at 10:26 PM.
AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
  #8
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
I don't see what the spreadsheet proves. Sure we have the most money on injury reserve but Pittsburgh is doing just fine with all their injuries including the best player in the NHL. And St. Louis is outstanding as well. To me all this spreadsheet proves is that despite all the injuries, we've had terrible coaching that weren't able to adapt and compose with injuries. This applies to both JM and Cunney.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
  #9
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,903
vCash: 500
Gomez inflates it a bit.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
  #10
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,004
vCash: 500
Huge reason why we've been so bad this year. If we're healthier than we can definitely challenge for a playoff spot.

Especially with Grigs in the lineup

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:59 PM
  #11
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
That would be nice except for Pittsburgh being in the second position.

All this shows is that injuries is an excuse for poor coaching and poor decisions made by a General Manager.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
  #12
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,911
vCash: 500
Hey guys, Columbus is only **** because of injuries.

Not.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:05 AM
  #13
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,154
vCash: 500
Personally I felt we were better off without Gomez...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
  #14
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That would be nice except for Pittsburgh being in the second position.

All this shows is that injuries is an excuse for poor coaching and poor decisions made by a General Manager.
Or that Pittsburgh is a powerhouse that by rights should be running away with the East if they had their star.


Or you could argue that it makes no difference if you replace good players with less good players.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:49 AM
  #15
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Or that Pittsburgh is a powerhouse that by rights should be running away with the East if they had their star.
except Pitt is sitting only 4 pts out of 1st in the conference, 6 pts out of 1st overall...

we're sitting 11pts out of a playoff spot.

if they had 10 more pts, they would be "running away with the East", whereas with 10 more points, we're still outside of the playoffs.


if anything, that chart only re-emphasizes what a lot of us have been saying for quite some time. We have a poorly assembled roster, at best contending for a 5-6-7 seed, at worst... well we're seeing the worst (or close to it... imagine if Price had been out for a long stretch )


The combined managing genius of Gainey-Gauthier has led us to this point, how much more evidence do we really need that enough is enough?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:51 AM
  #16
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,542
vCash: 500
Wow Boston only has 117 games including Savard. They have been insanely healthy this year

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
  #17
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Wow Boston only has 117 games including Savard. They have been insanely healthy this year
Yeah, I was seeing the exact same thing...

A crazy stat from this:

Teams like Mtl, Philly and Pitts have approx. 300 man-games lost (give or take a few), and - arguably (*) - their top player (Markov, Pronger, Crosby) has been gone for most of the season.

(all of 70 games for Markov; 55 out of 68 for Pronger; 60 out of 68 for Crosby)

Meanwhile, Boston only has 117 man-games lost, and their "top MIA" is Marc Savard, a guy who might never play again and who's not considered part of the team roster/plans at this point in time.

Subtract the 68 man-games that "belong" to Savard, and Boston actually only lost 49 man-games.

One-sixth of the aforementioned teams.

That is amazingly healthy for a team, especially in a year where players are dropping like flies.




* no argument that Crosby is Pitts's best player; Markov and Pronger are at least still Top 3 for their respective team, and the impact of their absence is major

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:15 AM
  #18
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
except Pitt is sitting only 4 pts out of 1st in the conference, 6 pts out of 1st overall...

we're sitting 11pts out of a playoff spot.

if they had 10 more pts, they would be "running away with the East", whereas with 10 more points, we're still outside of the playoffs.


if anything, that chart only re-emphasizes what a lot of us have been saying for quite some time. We have a poorly assembled roster, at best contending for a 5-6-7 seed, at worst... well we're seeing the worst (or close to it... imagine if Price had been out for a long stretch )


The combined managing genius of Gainey-Gauthier has led us to this point, how much more evidence do we really need that enough is enough?
You can make a pretty strong argument based on goal differential that Montreal, as banged up as they are this season, belong more in the 7-9 range of teams in the east rather than 15th based on talent/ability. A lot of things went wrong to put the Habs were they are right now.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:06 AM
  #19
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
You can make a pretty strong argument based on goal differential that Montreal, as banged up as they are this season, belong more in the 7-9 range of teams in the east rather than 15th based on talent/ability. A lot of things went wrong to put the Habs were they are right now.
indeed, but i think the point is that a lot of things have gone terribly wrong for the pens, yet their fall has been far far less acute, in no small part to a very well constructed roster that benefits from (obviously) elite talent but also features very effective & well priced complimentary players.


In some ways, I think that having Crosby/Malkin/Fleury/Staal as "no-brainer" big contract guys from a very young age, it forced Shero and his team to be very careful and methodical about how they went about spending the rest of their cap space in building around those core pieces.

Perhaps an argument could be made that part of montreal's management troubles in successfully building the roster stems in part b/c without the pressure of working with limited resources to fill several roster spots (caused by having several big ticket players), they became victim of their own flexibility to spend spend spend...

I remember feeling very excited heading into the summer of '09... with 11 UFA's, and obviously no elite talent in place, I thought we were in a perfect position to methodically position ourselves to be able to pounce when the next big-ticket type player became available... that handled properly, we could continue to ice a competitive roster while keeping the necessary space needed to snag a Kovalchuk type if/when he hit the market (trade or UFA).

instead, Gainey (with Gauthier's input, how much who knows?) went for the scatter approach, foolishly thinking that Gomez had enough in the tank to be a key part of a "talent-by-committee" approach that cost as much as other teams top players, but unfortunately never delivered anywhere near that level of play (save for a brief 15 game run by cammy).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
  #20
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That would be nice except for Pittsburgh being in the second position.

All this shows is that injuries is an excuse for poor coaching and poor decisions made by a General Manager.
Pittsburgh only lost plugs like Crosby, Fleury and Letang. Imagine if they had lost White and Gionta!

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
  #21
nilan30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Yeah, I was seeing the exact same thing...

A crazy stat from this:

Teams like Mtl, Philly and Pitts have approx. 300 man-games lost (give or take a few), and - arguably (*) - their top player (Markov, Pronger, Crosby) has been gone for most of the season.

(all of 70 games for Markov; 55 out of 68 for Pronger; 60 out of 68 for Crosby)

Meanwhile, Boston only has 117 man-games lost, and their "top MIA" is Marc Savard, a guy who might never play again and who's not considered part of the team roster/plans at this point in time.

Subtract the 68 man-games that "belong" to Savard, and Boston actually only lost 49 man-games.

One-sixth of the aforementioned teams.

That is amazingly healthy for a team, especially in a year where players are dropping like flies.




* no argument that Crosby is Pitts's best player; Markov and Pronger are at least still Top 3 for their respective team, and the impact of their absence is major
Bruins were extremely healthy for 80% of the year. Not so much anymore.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
  #22
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Bruins were extremely healthy for 80% of the year. Not so much anymore.
And now they're fading. 2 points up on Ottawa, which means two points away from falling to 7th place.

Now take Chara out of their lineup for 70 games, and Brad Marchand for 40. Then add another 100 man games lost to various other players and we'll see how well they would have done this year.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
  #23
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,334
vCash: 256
Blues, Flyers and Penguins have a **** load of depth that's for sure

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.