HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nwhl

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2003, 07:31 AM
Bytown

vCash: 500
Nwhl

First i know there are not alot of people who do not know about the nwhl.The national womens hockey league is the highest level of womens hockey in the world.This year the league has 9 teams

1.Ottawa
2.Calgary
3.Quebec
4.Durham
5.Oakville
6.Toronto
7.Montreal
8.Brampton
9.Edmonton

This is where the best of the best are.I was reading that some of you think that they are two small the avg size of the nwhl players is 6 foot.
There are alot of men who could not play in this league and yes i am talking pro players.

Old
11-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2008
There are alot of men who could not play in this league and yes i am talking pro players.
I find this hard to believe. But obviously as a women's league we will never find out.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Are you talking IHL or ECHL? Is this a checking league or a non-checking league?

Old
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Bytown

Yes i am talking echl.It is a non checking league but it really is not.There are alot of heavy checks in every game.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Frenzy1

Having never seen (or heard for that matter) a game in this league I wont comment further on it. But I don't buy this for a second.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Bytown

Tell me why don't you buy it.This league is full of super stars that play for team canada/team usa/team sweden/team finland.Plus there are players that are not on national teams that are decent players.That are comming from europe ncaa division 1 and 2 and cis.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:13 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Tell me why don't you buy it.This league is full of super stars that play for team canada/team usa/team sweden/team finland.Plus there are players that are not on national teams that are decent players.That are comming from europe ncaa division 1 and 2 and cis.
Playing for a national team does not make them comparable to men. I went and visited the Montreal teams site, just out of curiosity. The tallest player was 5'9", average was around 5'4", my guess is the league average is just under 5'5" (but I haven't done any research to prove it).

They may weigh in at 150 lbs. That is too small for most any league, ECHL, IHL or other. (Trust me, as an athlete at 5'6", it is hard to compete w/ people who are bigger and stronger, speed only gets you so far...)

They are world class athletes and I am not trying to take anything away from them, but take a Female sprinter and put her against a male and she would lose by a over a second in the 100 yrd dash.

When it comes to sports size and stregnth matter. Sorry, but that is a fact of life. When God created men and women, he created them to be equal, but that doesn't mean that they are biologically the same.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Bytown

First montreal is the smallest team in the league.I agree in part of what your saying the men vs women they both have there own leagues etc.The nwhl is the nhl for women and for people to say a midget team could beat a nwhl team.Well that would never happen laval had a team a few years ago and they tied a high level mens team.People have to start showing some respect for the nwhl.

Old
11-13-2003, 10:50 AM
BruinsGirl

I can believe that...Don't forget men often rely on physical play. In women leagues there is no checking.

My son is playing on pee-wee team and they have about 10 teams in their division. One team is all girls team and when the boys are playing against them they can't check or hit the girls...and this gives huge advantage to the girls because they are usually very good skaters.

Old
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Bytown

In the nwhl there is hitting and contact.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Slats432

Quote:
First montreal is the smallest team in the league.I agree in part of what your saying the men vs women they both have there own leagues etc.The nwhl is the nhl for women and for people to say a midget team could beat a nwhl team.Well that would never happen laval had a team a few years ago and they tied a high level mens team.People have to start showing some respect for the nwhl.
Which high level men's team did they tie? AHL? ECHL? I would darn near bet my life that any team in the CHL(Canadian Junior) or NCAA first division would handily defeat any team in the NWHL.

I have no reason to give any respect to the NWHL more than any other league. The brand of hockey a couple of steps below the ECHL isn't going to get me excited in any way.

Women's sports still has a long way to go before the mainstream is going to pay any attention to it.

With WTSN folding, the exposure is less and less, and this league like many others will continue to toil in obscurity because not only do men not like to watch women's sports (Except maybe Tennis), women don't like to watch women's sports. If you dispute that, then feel free to contact Rick Brace, President,CTV Inc of how popular women's sports are.

Personally if there is a captivating story, or personality(Haley Wickenheiser or Annika Sorenstam) then I might pay attention but other than that, I really couldn't care a less.

Old
11-13-2003, 11:56 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
In the nwhl there is hitting and contact.
There is no bodychecking allowed according to female hockey rules. So no, there is no hitting. Body contact is different. Contact is allowed in all levels of hockey.

I coach a bantam house team, and the midget girls rep team plays in our league. When we play them, we cannot bodycheck them, and vice versa. I don't like that rule...if they want to play with the boys, they should play our rules...but since that will never happen, they will have to settle for getting hammered by 10-15 goals each game by teams in the age group lower than them.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:04 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
...and this gives huge advantage to the girls because they are usually very good skaters.
This is a good point, pro-hockey players are unbelievable skaters - significant time is spent on developing a useable skating stride. I doubt that is still an advantage.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Hitman*

Alright, I've been dragged to many an Oval X-Treme games and I know that they aren't comparable to men so don't try to do it. They play Midget AAA and AA teams to bring their skills up and lose alot.

The women don't have the skill nor size to compete with men that have any skill whatsoever. Unless of course, if they're a goalie or are named Hayley.

BUT! I still think people should check this stuff out. Just because its women's hockey doesn't mean its not exciting. It costs next to nothing (if any in some places) and there's usually a good atmosphere. If you have any young girls who are interested in hockey, you MUST take them. They get to see their idols on the ice, and they usually stick around after. They're much like lacrosse players in how they mingle with the fans.

There may be contact, but there is no hitting (as is the rules in all female hockey). And if you live in the West, you can see Calgary destroy Edmonton about 20 times this year.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:08 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
I've done play-by-play for the Edmonton Chimos this season, who by the way are going to try and bring Wickenhieser back to Edmonton.

Anyway these girls are rough as hell, there was a scrum afer every whistle, a couple of big open ice hits that went uncalled.

It was actually a very exciting game.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
11-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Murphy*

There's one in ottawa? I've never even heard a word about it until now...

Old
11-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Bytown

They are called the ottawa raiders they are out of town for the next two weekends.But on nov 21 they play team china @ sandy hill arena
6:00 start $7.00 to get in.

Old
11-14-2003, 02:35 AM
Bytown

Slats
I am sorry i did not know you still lived in the stone age.The team the laval team tied is a team that played in the quebec sr league.If you take the best team in the nwhl and put them vs say a sum par echl team they are going to give them a run for there money.I can tell by your remarks you have not even check a game out do you self a favor and go to a game.As with support not all but some of the teams do get very solid fan support bot men and women.

Old
11-14-2003, 08:50 AM
kruezer

Why don't Women's leagues just allow checking? They seem to do it anyway, and they are playing other women, so the are equal physically. I think they should just allow it since it happens alot (when I watch) anyway.

Old
11-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Slats
I am sorry i did not know you still lived in the stone age.The team the laval team tied is a team that played in the quebec sr league.If you take the best team in the nwhl and put them vs say a sum par echl team they are going to give them a run for there money.I can tell by your remarks you have not even check a game out do you self a favor and go to a game.As with support not all but some of the teams do get very solid fan support bot men and women.

(Slats, lowetide, and Gee Wally :p )

Anyways, I always give women's sports a chance and did my best to struggle through Women's Olympic Hockey. It is slow, hard to watch and doesn't do much to hold my attention. I would have to say that if the two national teams of the two best Women's Hockey Nations, closely followed by Finland aren't quality enough to keep me interested, then a club league isn't likely going to fare much better.

I really enjoy Women's tennis, always have (and no, not for the short skirts ) and track and field, and certain other sectors of sport that women play well.

And I apologize because I see it different than you, because you are obviously supporting something you believe in. I suppose the only reason I said anything at all is because you are making it out to be something it is not.

You say they could beat some professional teams. Sure...maybe the worst UHL team with their 3 string goalie after 2 hours sleep and a night in the bar and hung like bastages....sure.

If your representation said only "The NWHL is very exciting and competitive and is a brand of hockey that everyone in the family can enjoy." I would have said nothing.

Represent it for what it is and the feedback will be more positive.

Old
11-14-2003, 10:09 AM
devildan

Quote:
I once saw the US Olympic Champion Womans team lose to an Atlantic division (NJ,PHI area) 15 year old allstar team 5-3 in a non-checking exhibition game up at lake placid a few years ago. Needless to say, the 15 year olds were able to skate by the girls despite looking like they had no idea how to play in a non-checking game.

Old
11-14-2003, 10:31 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
I once saw the US Olympic Champion Womans team lose to an Atlantic division (NJ,PHI area) 15 year old allstar team 5-3 in a non-checking exhibition game up at lake placid a few years ago. Needless to say, the 15 year olds were able to skate by the girls despite looking like they had no idea how to play in a non-checking game.
Maybe I'm crazy, but why don't we just let the women play the women and not worry about how they play against men? It shouldn't matter.

PS - I'm not singling you out devildan, I just happened to quote you

Old
11-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Hitman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildan
Ya, the Canadian Women's Team played Midget 'AAA' teams leading up to the Olympics and got crushed in every one. But I'd hope that the US team played against players older then 15.

Closed Thread