HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jordan Staal

Old
03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Why would anyone not on a hockey board do that? That first overall is a great prospect, but there are no guarentees. Staal is on the verge of stardom in this league, soon to be a Kesler type player if not already there. He remains extremely young and has a ton of room to grow. You would trade that for what remains in the end much more of a question mark? How many can't miss prospects have we seen miss to one degree or another?
Rico fata is one reason why you don't. Anybody can turn into a bust. Why trade a star for a player that "could" be a star.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Rico fata is one reason why you don't. Anybody can turn into a bust. Why trade a star for a player that will likely be a star.
There are a lot of factors in these types of moves. But when you have the 1st overall pick, you're likely to pick an immediate impact player who's on a bargain for 3 cheap ELC years. These types of contracts are worth gold in the post-lockout salary era.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Staal isn't going anywhere, he's way too important to this team. If we need cap space then it'll be cleared up in other places (read: Martin or Michalek).

And this 'third liner' stuff really needs to stop. He's 23rd in the entire league in ice time amongst forwards (13th amongst centers).

The last full season all three of them were mostly healthy (2009-10) he was 49th in forward TOI/g (27th amongst centers).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Staal is on pace for his best season points wise with 51. If he had been healthier last season he would've broken 60 points. For a 3rd line C most of the time, that's impressive.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Just a terrible, terrible OP.

How long have Pens fans been told that Shero couldn't possibly keep all 3 centers? There were hundreds of Malkin and Staal trades on these boards when their ELCs were expiring because "there is just no way Shero can afford to re-sign both of them!!!".

Shero isn't splitting up the best center depth in the league, deal with it.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Staal is on pace for his best season points wise with 51. If he had been healthier last season he would've broken 60 points. For a 3rd line C most of the time, that's impressive.
Staal isn't a 3rd line center though. He's a borderline 1st line center who provides Selke-caliber defense. If you look at his MPG over the past few years, his minutes are on par with the minutes that Malkin and Crosby play. 3rd line centers don't play that many minutes.

Pittsburgh should never trade him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:16 PM
mpp9

To spice the thread up a bit, I think how they use Staal with a healthy Sid/Geno will play a big role in Staal's contract negotiations.

His TOI will be 20+ minutes no doubt, but quality of linemates and an offensive role are legitimate concerns if I'm Staal and Shero is approaching me with a contract that'd keep me here until I'm 30.

The cap going up next season will allow us to keep Martin/Michalek a little longer and allow our propsects the proper development path.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Staal isn't a 3rd line center though. He's a borderline 1st line center who provides Selke-caliber defense. If you look at his MPG over the past few years, his minutes are on par with the minutes that Malkin and Crosby play. 3rd line centers don't play that many minutes.

Exactly my point. People keep making a point that he "Isn't a good enough attacking 3c" - when he's getting what some 1c's are getting on some teams then you know you've got good depth.

Old
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

but 1st liners don't play that much PK time, his minutes are more like that of an elite 2nd line centre.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
DeadGator401

sure,

Staal for Kesler/1st.

DeadGator401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
sure,

Staal for Kesler/1st.
Pittsburgh says no and hangs up. Vancouver's 1st is going to be high and not worth much and Kesler wouldn't work in Pittsburgh.

Old
03-12-2012, 03:42 PM
gordie

Ray Shero is very happy having Jordan Staal on his team and thus any trade proposal is going to be some fan of another team who thinks he is available due to the presence of Crosby and Malkin. The only way Jordan Staal is moved under Ray Shero is if he goes to Shero and asks for a trade and I don't think Jordan Staal is that type of player.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I think the timing of these contracts running out is less than ideal for the Pens. They will have to make a decision on Staal before they know what Malkin and Letang are going to cost, which could make things tricky.

You could make a pretty strong argument that Malkin should be the number one priority to keep long-term, yet he's the last guy who will be coming up for an extension, and possibly the most difficult to re-sign as well.
I agree with you 100% that the situation is tricky now. But I firmly believe that when the penguins signed the contracts (Crosby, Malkin, Staal) that if anyone of those 3 was to be moved it was Malkin and that is why they structured them this way. Now of course Crosby is the concern so Malkin becomes impossible to move which makes it tricky. I know that it may seem bogus but when you think about it, it makes the most sense. They signed Malkin for that one extra season so IF they had to move someone it would be him when they extended Crosby and they could still extract max value for Malkin because he still would have one full season to go. Things have changed and Shero has some tough decisions, but if anyone is good at juggling the cap I trust Shero.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Staal might be taking the big step many have been waiting for. If so we could be talking multiple Cups if everyone's healthy (hi Sid). It would have to be the perfect deal.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pittsburgh says no and hangs up. Vancouver's 1st is going to be high and not worth much and Kesler wouldn't work in Pittsburgh.
Why is that, exactly?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Some people are being overly dramatic in this thread about the Pens needing to move Staal because of salary.

#1, if it comes down to it, Paul Martin would be kicked to the curb faster than Usain Bolt running a 40 yard dash. The Pens have so many defenseman for depth in the organization, this is a no brainer.

#2, the Pens can't afford to trade Staal because of Crosby's situation. The next hit could be the last hit. If we trade Staal, we're left with Dustin Jeffrey as our #2 center. Doesn't make any sense.

#3, Shero's favorite player on the team might be Staal. I don't think you'll find a bigger supporter of JS in the NHL who believed in him when all the naysayers whined about him.

Staal's offensive game has grown leaps and bounds this year. If he weren't injured, he'd be on pace for almost 40 goals, lead the NHL in shorties, and score 65 points, in addition to >50% face-off percentage, and his defense.

He's missed 20 games this year and he's 10th in the NHL for centers in goals scored. LMFAO at the 3rd line C stuff. Keep banging that drum when you haven't watched him at all this year.

Shero would rightfully laugh, say no, and grab his nuts before trading Staal at this point. With Sid's situation, we can't afford to.

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Why is that, exactly?
Kesler would not be happy on the 3rd line C. Which is were he'd be with a full team. If Crosby were out then it could work but our wingers are good enough past the top 6 to get him the service he needs. We don't need C trades, we need better wingers.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Karnage420

Staal will command his own contract.
He'll say "Shero i want 6.5m per year for X years"
Shero will say "Ok done"

and thats the end of the story. Staal stays, the rest of the NHL stays mad as hell.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Yeah, with Crosby out for basically the entire season. Remember the plan before that, to have Malkin play with TK and Sullivan?

You could make the case that on the ice, Malkin has meant just as much to the franchise as Crosby has. And it's not that he's treated poorly but he's obviously treated as second fiddle to Sid when they're both healthy. If I were Malkin, I would at the very least be curious to see what kinds of opportunities might be out there. Not saying I think he wants to leave, but I am saying that keeping Malkin might not be a slam dunk, especially if they treat Staal as an equal priority.
Malkin has never once said or even implied that he has any problems with the situation in Pittsburgh. In fact, he's gone out of his way many times to state exactly the opposite.

Suggesting otherwise is baseless speculation.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
SteelFish87

Meh, I just dont see it. He's made big leaps offensively but has had unfortunate injury setbacks after being an ironman for so long

I don't see Pitt moving him. I think he could be better than Kesler soon

SteelFish87 is online now   Reply With Quote