HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messin' the Habs Draft Position AND Winning the Game? Sweet

Old
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugLife978 View Post
The Great: Lindy just said in his presser that center is gonna be Ennis' home for the foreseeable future Really likes his escapability, creativity, etc. at the position.
Foreseeable future or until he has a bad game, takes a stupid penalty or Lindy decides mixing things up is in Roy's best interest.......

just kidding......

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Sabreality

sorry, but Lindy was right for moving Hodgson down when he did. VRP had some jump, Ennis line flyin, and Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta playin their 3C role.

not that they played poorly, but Tropp-Hodgson-Boyes were the odd men out later in the game, and deservedly so.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:19 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugLife978 View Post
The Great: Lindy just said in his presser that center is gonna be Ennis' home for the foreseeable future Really likes his escapability, creativity, etc. at the position.
Claude Giroux 2.0

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
sorry, but Lindy was right for moving Hodgson down when he did. VRP had some jump, Ennis line flyin, and Gerbe-Leino-Kaleta playin their 3C role.

not that they played poorly, but Tropp-Hodgson-Boyes were the odd men out later in the game, and deservedly so.
Agreed.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Claude Giroux 2.0
that would be so nasty

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post

Moving Ennis to center sealed the deal and I'm not arguing with the results.

Still it's sad to see that CoHo has not gotten his game on track and diminishing ice time won't help. Nor the guys he's playing with.

He needs to excel with what TOI he's now being given and show that he makes players around him better. Time for him to dig down and dig out of his funk.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Claude Giroux 2.0
He doesn't have the defensive chops for that.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He doesn't have the defensive chops for that.
He's probably a little worse defensively, but Giroux isn't even good defensively. Calling Ennis Giroux 2.0 is foolish...

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Prospector74

G: 2 points.
Faced a little adversity and still got it done. That says something.
Sulzer has been a pleasant surprise - like finding $5 in your coat pocket. Nothing that changes the world but it does put you in a better mood.

B: Nothing really.

U: People continuing to dump on Ruff about decisions in a streak where the team is 7-2-1 in the last 10 including a pretty brutal road trip. To be completely honest, I'm amazed we've been able to compete as well as we have been after trading Goose. The team has done a good job adjusting and pieces of the team are starting to gel and click again. Overall, I'm pretty happy with everything since the trade deadline. Not a Ruff fanatic but just don't get all of the hate.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
HogtownSabresfan

I'll take my two points but I'm wearing thin on Weber/Regehr pairing. I'm shocked by Weber's giveaways. He plays solidly but has too many brain cramps. Regehr has just lost a stop and needs to be play with someone who is a little faster.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Royisgone

Do not overlook the huge importance of the Florida game Saturday night.

I have a funny feeling that Washington will trade places with Florida and rocket up to 3rd by virtue of being division leader--and stay there for the rest of the regular season. Caps are only 1 point behind Florida now.

Yes, the Caps have a tough 4 game road trip coming up, but I like them winning their division over Florida. If the Caps move up to 3rd and stay there, our game against them may not be as important as people think.

I think a .750 win % is a bit high, though it would be nice to get as many points as we can of course. In reality, we might get it done with someting a bit better than 66%, basically a 2 out of 3 pace--not a 3 out of 4 pace.

One thing we know for sure is we do not have that many games we can lose here on out, and we end the season at Philly and then at Boston. For all the good they have done on this streak, make no mistake! The task remaining to get into the playoffs is massive.

And yet if we do get in, I don't see us being higher than 8th, and it looks like the Rangers will be in first. So there's your first round matchup if in fact we are playoff bound. And here's the crazy part! If I could pick which better team to face in the playoffs, it would be the Rangers. I would take them over Philly and Boston for sure. Even if they have arguably the best goaltender in the game. I don't know what it is--I see us as being able to give them problems.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:22 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Ennis was ridiculous tonight. Ridiculous, I say. I knew it was a mistake putting him on Hodgson's wing. As soon as he played center, his game improved several notches.

Stafford has been really strong on the puck -- even made some nice power moves -- but the dude can't put the biscuit in the basket this year. Last year, everything he touched went in the net. This year, not.

Ehrhoff had a great game.

Myers is looking much more dynamic, and obviously the GWG was fantastic, but he's reminding me more and more of a baby giraffe gangling around, over-skating the puck, etc. several times a game. Also, that boarding call could have been dangerous.

Massive-hoser is a massive hoser. How was that not a penalty when Ennis got gang-*****?

Since no one else said it, I thought Roy had some good shifts, including a couple of hard "out of character" checks, not to mention the nice set up of Myers.

Boyes was terrible. Hodgson is getting a free pass for the rest of the season. I'll evaluate him seriously next year.

I'm becoming a big Foligno fan already. I get the impression that this is not going to wear off, either. Seems like a super-hard working player.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's probably a little worse defensively, but Giroux isn't even good defensively. Calling Ennis Giroux 2.0 is foolish...
Actually he is.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Ennis was ridiculous tonight. Ridiculous, I say. I knew it was a mistake putting him on Hodgson's wing. As soon as he played center, his game improved several notches.

Stafford has been really strong on the puck -- even made some nice power moves -- but the dude can't put the biscuit in the basket this year. Last year, everything he touched went in the net. This year, not.

Ehrhoff had a great game.

Myers is looking much more dynamic, and obviously the GWG was fantastic, but he's reminding me more and more of a baby giraffe gangling around, over-skating the puck, etc. several times a game. Also, that boarding call could have been dangerous.

Massive-hoser is a massive hoser. How was that not a penalty when Ennis got gang-*****?

Since no one else said it, I thought Roy had some good shifts, including a couple of hard "out of character" checks, not to mention the nice set up of Myers.

Boyes was terrible. Hodgson is getting a free pass for the rest of the season. I'll evaluate him seriously next year.

I'm becoming a big Foligno fan already. I get the impression that this is not going to wear off, either. Seems like a super-hard working player.
Who knows, but I have a feeling Foligno could blossom into the player Vancouver thought it traded for in Kassian. Foligno is just a kid and he is a BIG, solid kid. With hustle. I think he will do well in this league.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

And with Foligno, it could also be pure adrenaline carrying him. I don't doubt he can contribute in Buffalo, but like other rookies, I'll give him 40-50 games to really evaluate what we have with this kid.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
ToonTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Who knows, but I have a feeling Foligno could blossom into the player Vancouver thought it traded for in Kassian. Foligno is just a kid and he is a BIG, solid kid. With hustle. I think he will do well in this league.
Yep, more impressed with 82 these two games than I was in several with Kassian. Tropp started off strong, too.

The hidden gem in that trade so far has been Sulzer. He's done more the just fill in for Rej. He may have taken Weber's spot when Rej is back. Love the way he was moving the puck and pinching in tonight.

ToonTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
gallagt01

Good:
I have nothing but good things to see about the play of both Tylers since they returned from their respective injuries.

Myers is finally finding that consistent physical part of his game and his decision making has been so much better. He looks dominant; he looks like a leader.

Ennis - tonight's game is a prime example of why trading Ennis would be silly. His dynamic speed was giving the Habs fits all night. He looks dominant; he looks like a leader.

Foligno was very good and if he continues to look this good, it'll make losing Kassian's skill set okay by me.

Ehrhoff was fantastic, I thought. Leino, Stafford, Gerbe, Kaleta and Sulzer all highlight my good, though pretty much every Sabre had a good game. I don't really have any players in my bad.

Bad:
The game-tying goal. Heart-wrenching in an otherwise great effort in which we outplayed the Habs for 60 minutes.

Hodgson wasn't bad, but being demoted to the 4th line...hopefully his dad doesn't get too upset. He'll find it. If not this year, then next.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTom View Post
Yep, more impressed with 82 these two games than I was in several with Kassian. Tropp started off strong, too.

The hidden gem in that trade so far has been Sulzer. He's done more the just fill in for Rej. He may have taken Weber's spot when Rej is back. Love the way he was moving the puck and pinching in tonight.
I agree that if Sulzer remains "Steadi Sulzi" he may very well have just taken Weber's spot on the roster. Weber is quickly becoming our worst D-man in the top 7. That's a problem he did not have when MAG was around.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
To be completely honest, I'm amazed we've been able to compete as well as we have been after trading Goose. The team has done a good job adjusting and pieces of the team are starting to gel and click again. Overall, I'm pretty happy with everything since the trade deadline.
Almost like those people who were calling for a trade to shake up that "My Little Pony- Friendship is Magic!" Locker Room back in January knew what they were talking about!

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Well that is just one fantastic bit of image.

Ennis is a monster. He's been on while flipping between wing and center but he sure seems better off at center.

If the league switched regulation to 4 on 4 Myers would put up Bobby Orr numbers

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:17 PM
gallagt01

Myers hasn't registered a minus rating in 14 games (Feb. 14). That's impressive.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
Almost like those people who were calling for a trade to shake up that "My Little Pony- Friendship is Magic!" Locker Room back in January knew what they were talking about!
Not really.

It wasn't a trade to shake things up nor was it a trade for the sake of making a trade. Which is what many were not very wisely clamoring for. Most wanted little in return they just wanted certain players gone. The Goose trade couldn't have realistically been made at any other time than when it was either.

As for team's play. It started going in the right direction when Ennis started playing center and that was before the deadline. We added Hodgson and he went to wing for a bit but now he is back there (for good it seems based on Ruff's comments).

Ennis adds a dynamic at center that we've lacked for years.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
03-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
They've done it the othe way as well. Starting off great and ending poorly. Someone should tell the the season starts in October and goes until early June
Fixed

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 03-12-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I'll take my two points but I'm wearing thin on Weber/Regehr pairing. I'm shocked by Weber's giveaways. He plays solidly but has too many brain cramps. Regehr has just lost a stop and needs to be play with someone who is a little faster.
Yea, that pairing is way too slow. That, and Weber blindly passing the puck up the slot, is what kills them. They make solid defensive plays, but they get hemmed a lot, and they lose foot races a lot. A few times it has cost us. Once Sekera comes back, they should bench Weber. I think leopold and regher can be a servicable third pairing. Haven't they played with eachother before?

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Correction..now that I've seen the entire game

G: Line shuffling by Ruff midway thru 2nd period.

Having only seen the 3rd period and thinking Hodgson had been on the 4th line all game, I now realize (after watching the replay of the game) that Ruff shuffled his lines midway thru the 2nd (almost 11:00 minute mark).

It was a smart move. Although the Sabres were cooking in the 1st (14 SOG) one could see that nothing was resulting from it. It took Ruff a couple of shifts to get the lines squared away but I have to agree with the posters who said that Hodgson dropping back to 4th line center was dictated by the play of our other centers.

Looks to clearly be the case. Good call.

This doesn't excuse Ruff's poor choice of players at the end of the 3rd with the face off in our own end. But he did come up with the right mix of ingredients tonight.