HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Conklin placed on waivers.

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Games played means nothing when trying to figure out how much a player would count towards a team's cap numbers for the rest of the season - see my post in the Business of Hockey board on this. It all revolves around days elapsed in the season and days remaning. There's 196 days in the season; 125 have passed, 71 remain as of today. That's why you hear about teams not wanting to get players before the Olympics - because not only do they have to pay those players, but those players' cap numbers continue to count even while the Olympics are going on.

Ruckus - you're correct; assuming no injuries, teams cannot exceed $198,980 per day at any point in the season. You can't spend $1,500,000 in the first 5 days, then drop to $150,000 per day for the rest of the season to get under. If a player gets traded, he counts toward the original team for the number of days he was on the active roster (including IR); he *potentially* counts the number of days remaining in the season for his new team.

Example: Roberto Luongo counts $3.2 million towards the cap this season. The season is 125 days old through last night, so thus far Luongo has counted $3.2 million * 125/196 = $2,040,816 for the Florida Panthers. If a team traded for him today, Luongo would count $3.2 million * 71/196 = $1,159,184 for the new team for the rest of the season assuming he wasn't assigned to the minors, placed on non-roster status, or otherwise unavailable to play (except for injury; injured players continue to count against the team's cap).

02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
FLAMESTR

vCash: 500
so with ty going on waviers how close is the oilers to getting another goalie or are they still going after another one?

Old
02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
gpearson1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESTR
so with ty going on waviers how close is the oilers to getting another goalie or are they still going after another one?
Even as good as Morrison is starting to show he is, I still HOPE that Edmonton goes after a bonafide A #1 tender. This team could still bow out in the 1st round without one, but could go to the 3rd with a confident goalie that the team KNOWS will back-stop them, maybe even steal a game or two. And that makes ALL the difference in the playoffs.

Cheers,
gpearson1968

Old
02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Conklin cleared waivers. He'll be backing up Morrison tonight.

Old
02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Games played means nothing when trying to figure out how much a player would count towards a team's cap numbers for the rest of the season - see my post in the Business of Hockey board on this. It all revolves around days elapsed in the season and days remaning. There's 196 days in the season; 125 have passed, 71 remain as of today. That's why you hear about teams not wanting to get players before the Olympics - because not only do they have to pay those players, but those players' cap numbers continue to count even while the Olympics are going on.

Ruckus - you're correct; assuming no injuries, teams cannot exceed $198,980 per day at any point in the season. You can't spend $1,500,000 in the first 5 days, then drop to $150,000 per day for the rest of the season to get under. If a player gets traded, he counts toward the original team for the number of days he was on the active roster (including IR); he *potentially* counts the number of days remaining in the season for his new team.

Example: Roberto Luongo counts $3.2 million towards the cap this season. The season is 125 days old through last night, so thus far Luongo has counted $3.2 million * 125/196 = $2,040,816 for the Florida Panthers. If a team traded for him today, Luongo would count $3.2 million * 71/196 = $1,159,184 for the new team for the rest of the season assuming he wasn't assigned to the minors, placed on non-roster status, or otherwise unavailable to play (except for injury; injured players continue to count against the team's cap).

grazie

Old
02-07-2006, 05:13 PM
kiekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
Yep. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/connected.jsp

Old
02-07-2006, 05:53 PM
PuckNut

Does anyone know what will happen with Conklin's option year if he gets claimed on recall waivers? After some discussion on the Oiler's board about it, I know the option can be declined by the Oilers, but can another team exercise that option if he's picked up on reentry? IB, you seem to know quite a bit about this. Can you shed some light?

Old
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
Worst mentally straining situation to be in...
you know management doesn't want you, but your still dressing for the team

Old
02-08-2006, 06:29 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut
Does anyone know what will happen with Conklin's option year if he gets claimed on recall waivers? After some discussion on the Oiler's board about it, I know the option can be declined by the Oilers, but can another team exercise that option if he's picked up on reentry? IB, you seem to know quite a bit about this. Can you shed some light?
Assuming the option hasn't already been declined, if someone claims him on recall waivers they get the contract "as is" at 1/2 the cap hit; the Oilers get the other half. I would assume that if the acquiring team exercised the option, that would also count against the Oilers for '06-07 since snippets we've picked up here and there about recall waivers indicate the 1/2 cap hit lasts for "the remainder of the contract". However, you're asking about something that's beyond what I absolutely know (for the moment).

Old
02-08-2006, 08:24 AM
PuckNut

Thanks IB.

Old
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
Worst mentally straining situation to be in...
you know management doesn't want you, but your still dressing for the team
Markkanen was ill with the flu and couldn't be the back-up and JDD is injured.

02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Assuming the option hasn't already been declined, if someone claims him on recall waivers they get the contract "as is" at 1/2 the cap hit; the Oilers get the other half. I would assume that if the acquiring team exercised the option, that would also count against the Oilers for '06-07 since snippets we've picked up here and there about recall waivers indicate the 1/2 cap hit lasts for "the remainder of the contract". However, you're asking about something that's beyond what I absolutely know (for the moment).
Sounds like its beyond what everyone knows. Someone emailed TSN regarding it on the Oilers board, but TSN wrote back without answering that portion of the question.

Kind of makes you think they are still making up parts of the CBA as certain situations arise.

Old
02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Why? Do they go in alphabetic order?
If they did, I'd happily change my teams name to the Aardvark's

Old
02-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky
Markkanen was ill with the flu and couldn't be the back-up and JDD is injured.
I know, but if i was conklin i wouldn't want to be playing for a team that doesn't want me

Old
02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
I know, but if i was conklin i wouldn't want to be playing for a team that doesn't want me
The reason he was put on waivers is so the Oilers could recall a forward because they were going with 12 forwards. They want an extra forward in case somebody gets ill or injured.

Old
02-08-2006, 05:01 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic
If they did, I'd happily change my teams name to the Aardvark's
woulda still been behind 0ilers..

Closed Thread