HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2

Old
03-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
3 years in a row where this team was exposed once the playoff intensity gets dialed up.

This is a bad hockey team...no coach can remedy that.
you think this team would be as bad as it appears to be now with someone like Hitchcock behind the bench?

there is no accountability. MacRenney is a listless, annoying character who no doubt lacks any motivational speaking capabilities. you're ****ing kidding yourself if you think that doesn't play in extracting the best out of your players, that's what a coach is there for for Christ's sake, to push those buttons when needed at the right times, to say the right things. He constantly making questionable in game decisions, takes him forever to make adjustments, overplaying Horcoff to the point where it's a complete and utter embarrassment.

Horcoff is supposed to be a good player, a solid veteran forward. You have Hemsky. You have your 3rd/4th line centre for faceoffs in Belanger, along with added grit in Eager and Petrell. Special teams which are monumentally better.

Eberle and Hall who are having really good years, and RNH too, of course. They shouldn't be dropping games to teams like Montreal, Colorado or Anaheim. This has been 3 years where the team has literally given up down the stretch. GM and coach both said they wanted to play meaningful games at this time of year and nothing comes of it. The team is bad but it's not this bad with the amount of talent they've accumulated, which is a fair amount compared to many other teams out there.

The coaching staff is garbage.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Last. Easily.

EDIT: This was in response to where Horcoff ranks amongst NHL captains.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Renney has nothing to do with the players lack of motivation...sucking year after year does that all by itself. These players have had nothing to play for down the stretch for years now.

Losing begets losing.

BTW...I am not giving Renney a free pass. I am simply suggesting that he deserves to be judged once he has a GM that doesn't keep providing garbage for a hockey team.

A coach can't spin gold out of garbage.
But like I already said, the coach is making his already bad team worse. The defense is awful, but Potter still shouldn't be among the ice time leaders. Petrell and Lander never should have been in the NHL this year. Horcoff shouldn't be the extra man when the goalie is pulled.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
When? And if so, very nice to hear.
Eberle postgame interview with Tencer. It kinda slipped out that there might be issues with the way some people are playing. He tried to explain it away by saying players are just getting frustrated at losing but it seemed pretty obvious what happened. I'm not sure if this is a locker room thing or just on-ice comments though.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jesus

Seems a lot of fans are now more or less on the same page regarding this team and its players. Hard to disagree with what most of you are saying.

Omark is not showing much out there. Sad part is he looks better than MPS. Gagner is what he is. He will be invisible in the next couple of games and then he will go on a tear and all will be forgotten/forgiven yet again.
I will echo the sentiments of Petry. He is turning into a legitimately good player. Very nice to see.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Renney has nothing to do with the players lack of motivation...sucking year after year does that all by itself. These players have had nothing to play for down the stretch for years now.

Losing begets losing.

BTW...I am not giving Renney a free pass. I am simply suggesting that he deserves to be judged once he has a GM that doesn't keep providing garbage for a hockey team.

A coach can't spin gold out of garbage.
Ottawa is a prime example, Phoenix is another.
Ottawa is basically the same team that they were last year but with a new coach, they have gone from a laughing stock to a winning team and one of the most exciting teams in the league to watch.
Look at Tippett's roster and tell me that team should be anywhere above 12-13th in the west if even that.

Another example, Dineen in Florida. He took a bunch of underachieving veterans along with nice young players and has them playing a great brand of hockey, another team that is exciting as heck to watch.

Hitchcock in St. Louis is another example. I could go on and on.;

We all expected this to be a losing team this season but we at least expected to see a high compete level from them night in and night out instead they come out unprepared in most games, unspired as well and completely fold like a tent when the chips are down.
There is no system in place after 2 full years under Renney and there is not one forward line that we can depend on going forward, it's still a jumbled mess, wasn't this supposed to be a development year to figure out what we have? Yet, there are still the same questions that remained at the beginning of the season.
The onus of this falls on the coaches, part of it is the sad sack veterans also.
It's a cluster**** of ineptitude across the board.
I wouldn't blame Hall and co. for wanting out if this continues through next season.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Skm

vCash: 1551
In complete honesty, out of those you listed their is only one person who I'd favour Horcoff over and that is Phaneuf.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Columbus is dead last actually.

Reaction thread gets reaction merged.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Pomminville Backes Pronger Parise Callahan Streit are the vacnat ones you missed.

I think florida doesn't have a captain. Last I checked.

I liked it when Luongo was captain. LOL. what a joke.
Thanks, I updated it with the exception of Pronger.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
you think this team would be as bad as it appears to be now with someone like Hitchcock behind the bench?

there is no accountability. MacRenney is a listless, annoying character who no doubt lacks any motivational speaking capabilities. Constantly making questionable in game decisions, takes him forever to make adjustments, overplaying Horcoff to the point where it's a complete and utter embarrassment.

Horcoff is supposed to be a good player, a solid veteran forward. You have Hemsky. You have your 3rd/4th line centre for faceoffs in Belanger, along with added grit in Eager and Petrell. Special teams which are monumentally better.

Eberle and Hall who are having really good years, and RNH too, of course. They shouldn't be dropping games to teams like Montreal, Colorado or Anaheim. This has been 3 years where the team has literally given up down the stretch. GM and coach both said they wanted to play meaningful games at this time of year and nothing comes of it. The team is bad but it's not this bad with the amount of talent they've accumulated, which is a fair amount compared to many other teams out there.

The coaching staff is garbage.
Hitchcock would fail here. This is a finesse team whereas St. Louis is a big, rugged club, perfectly suited for his brand of system heavy hockey.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He's done absolutely nothing to deserve playing on the 1st line.

And Gagner is the better NHL player, as is Hemsky.

Omark was given good/decent linemates and plenty of playing time and didn't have a lot to show for it.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
I don't understand how Oilers can develop a winning mentality when we constantly name some of the worst players captain. Every captain named is much better than Horc, and I even think BUF, COL, FL, NJ, NYI, PHI, STL all have a better situation. Gotta suck for the young kids to see what kind of crap play warrants the captaincy on this team. I don't understand how it helps instill a new winning mentality. If they can't strip Horc of the captaincy then he's gotta go... this is in response to the Horcoff captaincy thread that got deleted for some reason.

Last edited by PETRYDISH: 03-12-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wrong thread.
PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He's done absolutely nothing to deserve playing on the 1st line.

And Gagner is the better NHL player, as is Hemsky.
Dude i dont think you are understanding me at all.
I dont want Omark on the first line, hell no. I just dont want him with Gagner "i am not passing the puck to omark and i suck defensivly" and Hemsky. I said it before and i say it again, sense the start of this season if i could choose one player for Omark to play with it would be Smyth. If i could choose a center it would be Lander.

Im not asking for Omark to play first line, am asking for him to play with players he fits with. Not players that wont even pass him the puck when he is open in the slot.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Horcoff is the only reason RNH or Gagner didn't get ventilated by the Sharks first line tonight. He played his part perfectly at ES.

Unfortunately he inexplicably found the ice when the goalie was pulled (bad coaching) and can never live up to his absurd contract (bad management).

This team is worse without Horcoff. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't watch the games. If he made <2 million and only played a third line role no one would whine.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Columbus is dead last actually.

Reaction thread gets reaction merged.
Why would you merge this?? I put a ton of effort into it!

This is not a reaction thread, I started researching this when the game was still 2-2. I have been thinking about this for the past couple months, and finally found the time to make the thread.

Please put it back to its own thread.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
I dont want Omark on the first line, hell no. I just dont want him with Gagner "i am not passing the puck to omark and i suck defensivly" and Hemsky. I said it before and i say it again, sense the start of this season if i could choose one player for Omark to play with it would be Smyth. If i could choose a center it would be Lander.

Im not asking for Omark to play first line, am asking for him to play with players he fits with. Not players that wont even pass him the puck when he is open in the slot.
But if he can't play with either Ganger or Hemmer, he doesn't really have a role on this team. He's not going to do any better with Smyth and Horc. He needs to make those two work, or he'll be out of luck.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Horcoff IS the worst. I'm not trying to hate on the dude. But he doesn't put up the points like the others. His media persona isn't like the others. He doesn't lead by example on the ice.

It's basically Moreau v2. He pretty much does nothing that a usual captain does. And I'm one to not care about a letter on the jersey. Never have. You asked, I answered. lol.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hitchcock would fail here. This is a finesse team whereas St. Louis is a big, rugged club, perfectly suited for his brand of system heavy hockey.
Pretty much this. Same goes for Tippett. Good coaches, but not suited for this type of team.

Look at Sutter and the Flames. Sutter is a defensive coach, whereas the Flames are anything but a defensive team.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Threeeeeeee points shy of 2009/2010 and 2010/2011's 62 points. Feels so unattainable.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
iCanada

Quote:

First you complain about him playing third line minutes with Smyth, now you mad he playing second line minutes with two legitimate top six players? What chu talkin bout willis?

You'd rather him play with a guy not good enough to be in the NHL on a mediocre at best team and Smyth instead of Gagner and Hemsky? You just reeling now. lol.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
he would fail, as pretty much any coach would, but I'm worried that Renney is jeopardizing the path this team is supposed to be on, and it's future. He speaks so eloquently and seems like an intelligent individual, but my God does he ever frustrate as a coach.

Look, I know the team isn't great, they play 1 good game out of every 3 or 4, but there has been zero accountability combined with routine terrible decision making on the backs of the coaching staff, very little improvement shown by several individual players as well as very, very poor team play. I'm not convinced they're this bad.

Hitchcock would fail, but he would be getting more out of the team than Renney. They may not be STL, that is a big, rugged sort of team, but the Oilers aren't exactly filled with pillow bag *******.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
PETRYDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post

This is not a reaction thread, I started researching this when the game was still 2-2. I have been thinking about this for the past couple months, and finally found the time to make the thread.

I agree, that thread has nothing to do with the post game talk and it's a legitimate question that should be asked.

PETRYDISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post

You missed 6 captains. How can you say you researched that?

You started researching a "Horcoff sucks thread" when the game was tied? Dear lord.

The PGT handles these kind of queries. You'll find the answers you seek in this thread.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Pretty much this. Same goes for Tippett. Good coaches, but not suited for this type of team.

Look at Sutter and the Flames. Sutter is a defensive coach, whereas the Flames are anything but a defensive team.
I have to give the Flames props atm. They're not missing key guys like Iginla or Jokinen (this season's Jokinen) but they're missing half of their roster and have pulled themselves into legitimate contention against all odds.

*kicks ole Glencross horse again* How good would this guy look on our second line right now?

Old
03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:

It sounds like you're complaining more about Gagner than about Omark. If you want to slot him into the third line with Smyth, on the checking line, then you're asking for trouble.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote