HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
nbsportsmedia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
I agree that Meadows is better than his numbers, not sure if he is the best in NB, see my earlier post.

My top forwards right now in NB:

1. Alexandre Jacob
2. Ryan Tompkins
3. JM Leblanc
4. Spencer Buck
5. Kari Belec

No way Hachey is number 3 in my book... 6 at best. They are all big other than MacDougall.
I agree with NB Hockey. I would also add Cloutier ahead of Robichaud. Goalies Frederick Foulem and Max Landry are way ahead of Meadows and Brideau.

nbsportsmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsportsmedia View Post
You are missing a big name on this list - JM LeBlanc from SJ. He is #2 forward in NB after Jacob from Moncton. If I was to pick a #3 in NB this year, I would pick Plourde from Acadian Pen. I saw Plourde play few times and I'm impressed with his game. He is only a 98 but is very calm with the puck, has a solid shot and has above than average hockey sense.
I'm going to tell you why I think Plourde is not even really in the top 10 - 97 players in NB.

1. He is a perimeter player, does not go to the dirty areas of the ice.
2. He does not skate in the same catagory yet as these other guys being discussed.
3. He plays on a team with what I am told has 6-7 forwards, and logs the majority of the ice.
4. There is rumor that the numbers he has posted are somewhat "inflated"...
5. He does not play on the defensive side of the puck at all, he will need to correct this to be successful in Midget.

If there is a discussion about 98's, he is in the top 10 for sure, but lets not fool ourselves about putting him in the same hemisphere as Jacob or some of the others mentioned. Points aren't everything and if you watch him play, and your seeing him on the same level as the others.. well... I'm not sure what you are seeing.

JMO

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:09 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsportsmedia View Post
You are missing a big name on this list - JM LeBlanc from SJ. He is #2 forward in NB after Jacob from Moncton. If I was to pick a #3 in NB this year, I would pick Plourde from Acadian Pen. I saw Plourde play few times and I'm impressed with his game. He is only a 98 but is very calm with the puck, has a solid shot and has above than average hockey sense.
Your right Leblanc was over looked and should have been mentioned ,I just commented on the above mentioned names still not sure he is the # 2 1997 forward top 5 for sure , I know he was playing Major Midget most of the year and did ok from what I understand.

As far as this Plourde kid he is a 98 which has not been talked about . I have not seen him play much from what I remember he has good size (has to use it more) and nice hands, skating and playing in his own end of the ice would be the weak part of his game,and as far as saying he would be # 3 forward in AAA Bantam would be pushing it , top 20 maybe ? lots of players ahead of him.

JMO

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Hockeyscout1997
Rookie User

Quote:
I'm going to tell you why I think Plourde is not even really in the top 10 - 97 players in NB.

1. He is a perimeter player, does not go to the dirty areas of the ice.
2. He does not skate in the same catagory yet as these other guys being discussed.
3. He plays on a team with what I am told has 6-7 forwards, and logs the majority of the ice.
4. There is rumor that the numbers he has posted are somewhat "inflated"...
5. He does not play on the defensive side of the puck at all, he will need to correct this to be successful in Midget.

If there is a discussion about 98's, he is in the top 10 for sure, but lets not fool ourselves about putting him in the same hemisphere as Jacob or some of the others mentioned. Points aren't everything and if you watch him play, and your seeing him on the same level as the others.. well... I'm not sure what you are seeing.

JMO
I agree with this.. he is not much of a defensive guy.. and can someone give me a top 10 list of players 97 in nb.. ( Your opinion)

Hockeyscout1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:44 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyscout1997 View Post
I agree with this.. he is not much of a defensive guy.. and can someone give me a top 10 list of players 97 in nb.. ( Your opinion)
The problem with giving a top 10 at this age group is that very few of these players are complete players yet. If you asked a Major Midget coach or a Junior coach what they need to work on, likely all of them could give you a couple of things on each.

The top three are close, they do lots of things very well but still have to work on some things for next year. The way I look at them is like this; Jacob is the best over all player in the league in my opinion because he does a number of things really well, like use players around him, play away from the puck and goes into the dirty areas of the ice. Jacob also is as good a passer as he is a shooter and seems to be able to play most offensive roles. Thompkins on the other hand would be my number 2 because he is more physical and is probably the best defensively in the league who is also in the top 10 in scoring, you don't get that very often and I know 10 coaches that would love a guy like that. Buck is my number 3 because he is so dynamic with the puck and smart. He is very creative and finds seams around DMen like few others. All three of them have great hands, are excellent skating centres and control the play when they are on the ice, no matter who they seem to play against or with. But if you are looking for a top 10 tho, here is my list as of today, and remember, its the whole player for me:

Jacob
Thompkins
Buck
Belec
Leblanc
Young
Theriault
Conrad
Daley
Adams

Extra two
Sarault - havent seen since ACC
Bowers - havent seen since ACC

Last edited by NBHockey: 03-13-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old
03-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Hockey watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTinglebone View Post
Deschenes is the top 97 D in NB after that is probably Vance, Paul, and Thompson.
Also you can't compare Myers to Duchene, Vance, Paul, Thompson as he is playing high school and weaker players play at the high school level, and as duchene plays midget major wich is way better in my opinion and Paul Vance Thompson playing a prep school on the ice everyday developing way more. So until they play against or with Myers again I put them out of the group of Duchene Paul Vance and Thompson.

Hockey watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey watcher View Post
Also you can't compare Myers to Duchene, Vance, Paul, Thompson as he is playing high school and weaker players play at the high school level, and as duchene plays midget major wich is way better in my opinion and Paul Vance Thompson playing a prep school on the ice everyday developing way more. So until they play against or with Myers again I put them out of the group of Duchene Paul Vance and Thompson.
Well thats the thing about playing HS isn't it, its difficult to get and accurate read on a player, especially for a 14 year old. Myers might look good against the typically lesser level of HS player, but will need to see him against his own peers or in Midget Major to know for sure.

Old
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
The problem with giving a top 10 at this age group is that very few of these players are complete players yet. If you asked a Major Midget coach or a Junior coach what they need to work on, likely all of them could give you a couple of things on each.

The top three are close, they do lots of things very well but still have to work on some things for next year. The way I look at them is like this; Jacob is the best over all player in the league in my opinion because he does a number of things really well, like use players around him, play away from the puck and goes into the dirty areas of the ice. Jacob also is as good a passer as he is a shooter and seems to be able to play most offensive roles. Thompkins on the other hand would be my number 2 because he is more physical and is probably the best defensively in the league who is also in the top 10 in scoring, you don't get that very often and I know 10 coaches that would love a guy like that. Buck is my number 3 because he is so dynamic with the puck and smart. He is very creative and finds seams around DMen like few others. All three of them have great hands, are excellent skating centres and control the play when they are on the ice, no matter who they seem to play against or with. But if you are looking for a top 10 tho, here is my list as of today, and remember, its the whole player for me:

Jacob
Thompkins
Buck
Belec
Leblanc
Young
Theriault
Conrad
Daley
Adams

Extra two
Sarault - havent seen since ACC
Bowers - havent seen since ACC
myself I would have Leblanc as number one on the list...Jacobs hard to keep number 1 unless your just talking skill alone...he is way too small...Thompkins maybe I never saw him enough but he his hockey sense on the ice was not the greatest when I saw him, he had skill though....Leblanc is smooth, good size, very smart in his own zone, has a poise to him with the puck the not many have...needs work in his own zone though...but I think Leblanc is the best of them all for size, skill and QMJHL ability....if Jacobs grows though he will be amazing...im only looking at it as a QMJHL eye, but Leblanc to me has all the natural ability with the size to make something of himself.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:51 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

Jonas Siegenthaler, from zurich lions. a 14 year old defense. that plays already with U20 team from Zurich(best in the category).

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
myself I would have Leblanc as number one on the list...Jacobs hard to keep number 1 unless your just talking skill alone...he is way too small...Thompkins maybe I never saw him enough but he his hockey sense on the ice was not the greatest when I saw him, he had skill though....Leblanc is smooth, good size, very smart in his own zone, has a poise to him with the puck the not many have...needs work in his own zone though...but I think Leblanc is the best of them all for size, skill and QMJHL ability....if Jacobs grows though he will be amazing...im only looking at it as a QMJHL eye, but Leblanc to me has all the natural ability with the size to make something of himself.
Jacob is not as small as he was, I guess we will have to wait and see, my money is Jacob though. I think 6 or 7 of my list have the natural ability to make midget major if they keep developing.

Will u be at the Bantam Provincials?

Old
03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85351

augustine impose

Old
03-13-2012, 06:41 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
Jonas Siegenthaler, from zurich lions. a 14 year old defense. that plays already with U20 team from Zurich(best in the category).
The level of hockey in Switzarland is not on the same level as in Canada we likely have some at that age who could play on the U-20 Swiss team if you have a 14 year old playing u-20 in my IMO the development program is very weak ? and this discussion is about players in NB Canada, but thanks for your input.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:50 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
The level of hockey in Switzarland is not on the same level as in Canada we likely have some at that age who could play on the U-20 Swiss team if you have a 14 year old playing u-20 in my IMO the development program is very weak ? and this discussion is about players in NB Canada, but thanks for your input.
there have still been some players from switzarland...you know a 14 year old playing in the U20 league in swiss is amazing, I would be interested in knowing this player...ill take his name down and when i have a chance to watch him I will...I do not think there are too many players in the maritimes at 14 who could play U20s in switzerland...maybe a few but not many.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Jacob is not as small as he was, I guess we will have to wait and see, my money is Jacob though. I think 6 or 7 of my list have the natural ability to make midget major if they keep developing.

yes I will be

Old
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

Quote:
compare to canadiens junior leagues i'm sure is week, yes. but there are only two 97' kids in that condition. that mean's the kid have something.

has for NB canada. sorry it would not happen again.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
yes I will be
I can't make it this year, hope to get an update from you then.

Old
03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:

Jacob isn't as small as he once was, but I would still say Leblanc is ahead of him if you take everything into account. If we are talking pure skill Jacob tops the list no question. Actually if I was to put a ranking on likelihood of 97 forwards to progress to the Q it would be as follows;

Leblanc
Tompkins
Buck
Jacob
Belec
Adams
Theriault
Young

I also haven't seen any players that are away at prep this year so can't comment on them. I'm not saying all of these guys could end up in major junior, but they are the most likely of the group in my opinion.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Jacob isn't as small as he once was, but I would still say Leblanc is ahead of him if you take everything into account. If we are talking pure skill Jacob tops the list no question. Actually if I was to put a ranking on likelihood of 97 forwards to progress to the Q it would be as follows;

Leblanc
Tompkins
Buck
Jacob
Belec
Adams
Theriault
Young

I also haven't seen any players that are away at prep this year so can't comment on them. I'm not saying all of these guys could end up in major junior, but they are the most likely of the group in my opinion.
I think its still a bit early to make Major Junior predictions on these guys yet but I agree with you Tony, that group are the A list so far. All of these guys "should" make Major Midget though... if they don't go the prep route.

Last edited by NBHockey: 03-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
03-14-2012, 02:19 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
I think its still a bit early to make Major Junior predictions on these guys yet but I agree with you Tony, that group are the A list so far. All of these guys "should" make Major Midget though... if they don't go the prep route.
Yeah it may be a little early for Q predictions, but i was just making a ranking based on how I rate their chances of taking that next step; however these guys are only a year away from the draft now. I will however say that all of these players will be playing Major Midget next year unless they decide not to.

Old
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
you mentioned the "prep route " have you heard that some on the mentioned list might ? also what about the boys that are away this year at prep school any word on what they might do next year? Its funny that 8 players from the NB U-15 team went away to prep schools this year.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:44 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
you mentioned the "prep route " have you heard that some on the mentioned list might ? also what about the boys that are away this year at prep school any word on what they might do next year? Its funny that 8 players from the NB U-15 team went away to prep schools this year.
No clue if any of those are looking. It is too bad that so many of the 97's went to prep schools. It is a tough decision for such a young player but the family knows best what is good for thier kid.

I think scoutman1 said it best in a different thread I think, some go away because its a good opportunity, others go away because some did and don't want to be left out. I personally don't believe there are any better hockey opportunities for a 14 year old than right here in NB, and they give up a lot, especially at that age.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:37 AM
hockey jockey

[QUOTE=NBHockey;46096203]No clue if any of those are looking. It is too bad that so many of the 97's went to prep schools. It is a tough decision for such a young player but the family knows best what is good for thier kid.

I think scoutman1 said it best in a different thread I think, some go away because its a good opportunity, others go away because some did and don't want to be left out. I personally don't believe there are any better hockey opportunities for a 14 year old than right here in NB, and they give up a lot, especially at that age.[/QUOTE

I am not saying it is good or bad or what ever the reasons are, that would speculation on our part ,I would think they get lots more ice time and off ice conditioning at prep schools than minor hockey would provide in any province,not sure about the kids at Notre Dame (Vance and Paul) but the I was told the kids at OHA( Sarault, Becker Thompson) play in the midget league in Ontario which is suppose to be a very good league, do you know what league the kids at RNS (Bower, Mcinnis , Macdougall)play in.?

Old
03-19-2012, 11:09 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
yes I will be
Any update?

Old
03-19-2012, 01:53 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Any update?
I did manage to make it to Thursday night and Saturday. The league awards were:

MVP Forwards - Alex Jacob
MVP Defence - Jared Ostroski
1st Team All Star Forwards: Alexandre Jacob, Kari Belec, Ryan Tompkins
1st Team All Star Defence: Jared Ostroski, Jon Cloutier
1st Team All Star Goalie: Julien Galloway
2nd Team All Star Forwards: Francis Theriault, Tristan Young, Spencer Buck
2nd Team All Star Defence: Hugo Robichaud, Cole Hachey
2nd Team All Star Goalie: Derek Goguen

Rookie of the Year: Sam King
Top Scorer: Jacob
Top playmaker: Theriualt

The games I saw were good games, and closely played. Couple of surprises, Caps beat out KV and North West beat out Acadia Penn to both finish in the top 4 against the two Moncton teams.

Jacob and Tompkins were really good against each other on Saturday night, they were the two dominate players in the game. Conrad really stepped up his game in the semi final game.

Meadows was lights out against KV, was the star of the game and was also good against Dieppe Saturday night. Comeau was very steady as was Robinson. Spencer Buck also looked terrific.

After seeing them again this weekend, I'll stand by my rankings.

Old
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
I did manage to make it to Thursday night and Saturday. The league awards were:

MVP Forwards - Alex Jacob
MVP Defence - Jared Ostroski
1st Team All Star Forwards: Alexandre Jacob, Kari Belec, Ryan Tompkins
1st Team All Star Defence: Jared Ostroski, Jon Cloutier
1st Team All Star Goalie: Julien Galloway
2nd Team All Star Forwards: Francis Theriault, Tristan Young, Spencer Buck
2nd Team All Star Defence: Hugo Robichaud, Cole Hachey
2nd Team All Star Goalie: Derek Goguen

Rookie of the Year: Sam King
Top Scorer: Jacob
Top playmaker: Theriualt

The games I saw were good games, and closely played. Couple of surprises, Caps beat out KV and North West beat out Acadia Penn to both finish in the top 4 against the two Moncton teams.

Jacob and Tompkins were really good against each other on Saturday night, they were the two dominate players in the game. Conrad really stepped up his game in the semi final game.

Meadows was lights out against KV, was the star of the game and was also good against Dieppe Saturday night. Comeau was very steady as was Robinson. Spencer Buck also looked terrific.

After seeing them again this weekend, I'll stand by my rankings.
Surprised to hear some of those All-Star selections.

Nice to hear about Meadows. Have always thought he is one of, if not the top 97 goalie in NB (Galloway being the other).

I actually saw several of the games as well.

Riley Scott (Northern) really impressed me. Seemed to really carry that team and has a motor that doesn't quit. He plays from goal to goal and is relentless.

Tompkins was just as you said, very dominant. I thought he may have been the best player in the tourney.

Couple of 98's really impressed me as well in Tardif(Dieppe), Reade(Moncton), Breau(District 3), McGraw(Saint John) and Leblanc(Fredericton).

Do you have any idea why Foulem played in nets for Moncton in the final?