HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Islander Fans Rant We All Can Relate To.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
  #26
peter021
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I understand the frustration and people can do with their money what they choose. Not trying to judge anyone we all have our own situations. For me, I see no reason to withold my money to hurt wang..it is not about him but about being a fan.. witholding my support (in any way i might enjoy) runs counter to my defintion of what being a fan means for me. Wangs feelings don't enter into my thought process when i decide where my entertainment dollar is going. If i thought boycotting games would make this team better in the short run i would be on board. However, I think it is just the opposite, i feel if I did that it would help perpetuate a bad situation and make it worse. There are plenty of owners to hate in sports, many have stuck it to the fans in many ways. Our seats are cheap, so you'll have to excuse me if i buy inexpensive seats to see my favorite hockey team, guilty. I am a fan always will be. You can hate wang but if he had dolans revenue streams we would be a perennial contender, i dont see ranger fans withholding money from their games because their owner is a jerk. I respect the decisions of those who choose to not go, but wish you would reconsider. If they decide to relocate (and not locally) we just lose again.
I don't think anyone would, or should, begrudge you for attending or supporting the team how you see fit and how best works for you as a fan.

The team's problem is going to be, even when or if they turn this thing around, there's been a 'lost generation' of potential fans and fans that never were because of all this mediocrity. It alienates current fans and it keeps new fans from coming on board. Winning, or at the very least compiling a team that competes and has an identity, is the only thing that can solve this. This team has lacked an identity for a while now, and that rests entirely on the front office.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
  #27
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I understand the frustration and people can do with their money what they choose. Not trying to judge anyone we all have our own situations. For me, I see no reason to withold my money to hurt wang..it is not about him but about being a fan.. witholding my support (in any way i might enjoy) runs counter to my defintion of what being a fan means for me. Wangs feelings don't enter into my thought process when i decide where my entertainment dollar is going. If i thought boycotting games would make this team better in the short run i would be on board. However, I think it is just the opposite, i feel if I did that it would help perpetuate a bad situation and make it worse. There are plenty of owners to hate in sports, many have stuck it to the fans in many ways. Our seats are cheap, so you'll have to excuse me if i buy inexpensive seats to see my favorite hockey team, guilty. I am a fan always will be. You can hate wang but if he had dolans revenue streams we would be a perennial contender, i dont see ranger fans withholding money from their games because their owner is a jerk. I respect the decisions of those who choose to not go, but wish you would reconsider. If they decide to relocate (and not locally) we just lose again.
But that's not why they are saying to hold back your money. It isn't because he is being a jerk. In fact if you took a poll of people unhappy with him you'd probably find a huge pool of sympathy for what transpired over the hub, and his treatment at the hands of the politicians. That he is eccentric, or a hockey ignoramus, that's almost the entire pool of owners to start with. That isn't part of the issue.

The issue is that he is destroying this team, and has been since he bought it.

You profess to be a fan, to love the team. Well, if you love something, how do you not dislike something that hurts what you love? Our problem is that Chuck has been, either through ignorance, or proud interference, single handedly killing the franchise. I liken it to a taxi cab driver with a 5th grade intelligence level winning the lottery and buying a hospital. That can work just fine as long as the guy doesn't actually involve himself in decisions that only experts should be making. Chuck does that though, just like if the taxi cab driver decided to make operating room decisions like chosing to use a pig's kidney in a human. Keeping Milbury on was the very very VERY first of a long list of personal involvements that crippled this club. The Yashin contract = HIM. The DiPietro contract = HIM. Telling the team to be a bunch of girly non combatant ******* = HIM. Putting massive financial constraints on the club when the kids developing need better help = HIM. The GM circus, the coaching circus, etc., etc., = HIM. Cutting the front office staff down to a minute fraction of real people = HIM. Dumping the head scout and NOT replacing him with anyone during a freakin' rebuild = HIM.

And here we are watching him destroy Nino, destroy other youth just to reach the salary floor so he can avoid any fines, and you don't know why people hold HIM accountable for all of this?

Charles is the absolute root of what is wrong with this club. It is even deeper than just that though. He is actively destroying his own investment.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
  #28
NiGhtt
Registered User
 
NiGhtt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you or anyone you know is buying tickets, you or they are endorsing this whole mess wholeheartedly.

Just stop giving Wang your money. It won't end until EVERY fan stops buying tickets. Ever.

See: Detroit.
The only tickets I buy are second hand

NiGhtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
  #29
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post
I don't think anyone would, or should, begrudge you for attending or supporting the team how you see fit and how best works for you as a fan.

The team's problem is going to be, even when or if they turn this thing around, there's been a 'lost generation' of potential fans and fans that never were because of all this mediocrity. It alienates current fans and it keeps new fans from coming on board. Winning, or at the very least compiling a team that competes and has an identity, is the only thing that can solve this. This team has lacked an identity for a while now, and that rests entirely on the front office.
true true true...definitely lost a whole generation of fans and to add, not just this front office but prior ones as well... don't forget the politicians and economy.. not alot of good there and the fans are the victims..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:51 PM
  #30
Bones45
Registered User
 
Bones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Low Taxville
Posts: 5,481
vCash: 500
When the team stops signing players who are worthless floaters that SUCK.

AKA: BAILEY, BAILEY, BAILEY, and eh.... BAILEY


and start seeking and molding players properly to let them flourish and have some ****ing pride,


THEN you will see some results.

Till then?


no point in watching.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM
  #31
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
But that's not why they are saying to hold back your money. It isn't because he is being a jerk. In fact if you took a poll of people unhappy with him you'd probably find a huge pool of sympathy for what transpired over the hub, and his treatment at the hands of the politicians. That he is eccentric, or a hockey ignoramus, that's almost the entire pool of owners to start with. That isn't part of the issue.

The issue is that he is destroying this team, and has been since he bought it.

You profess to be a fan, to love the team. Well, if you love something, how do you not dislike something that hurts what you love? Our problem is that Chuck has been, either through ignorance, or proud interference, single handedly killing the franchise. I liken it to a taxi cab driver with a 5th grade intelligence level winning the lottery and buying a hospital. That can work just fine as long as the guy doesn't actually involve himself in decisions that only experts should be making. Chuck does that though, just like if the taxi cab driver decided to make operating room decisions like chosing to use a pig's kidney in a human. Keeping Milbury on was the very very VERY first of a long list of personal involvements that crippled this club. The Yashin contract = HIM. The DiPietro contract = HIM. Telling the team to be a bunch of girly non combatant ******* = HIM. Putting massive financial constraints on the club when the kids developing need better help = HIM. The GM circus, the coaching circus, etc., etc., = HIM. Cutting the front office staff down to a minute fraction of real people = HIM. Dumping the head scout and NOT replacing him with anyone during a freakin' rebuild = HIM.

And here we are watching him destroy Nino, destroy other youth just to reach the salary floor so he can avoid any fines, and you don't know why people hold HIM accountable for all of this?

Charles is the absolute root of what is wrong with this club. It is even deeper than just that though. He is actively destroying his own investment.
Okay let's say wang is the root of all the issues (i agree he has run it off the rails but we were in dire straits befor he came, 20 years of bad ownership, he originally bailed us out before screwing it up). What will witholding my support do? Will it get rid of wang and makes us a better team in the new york area somewhere? The fan base turning on the team (and they have every right to do so based on 20 years of mismanagement, and terrible political treatment besides a poor economy) is not a solution .. you can't separate the owner from the team.. if we hurt the owner we hurt the team and hasten a departure as we continue to deteriorate.. As the last poster wrote, we lost a whole generation. People see how the fans feel towards the teams, the waning support, the poor ownership, terrible buidling it all contributes.. no witholding my support won't help the team. If it got rid of the owner or improved our chances going forward i would sign up.. instead it hastens our departure, I will continue to root for my team and go to games.. fans are fans through thick and thin.. doesnt mean we have to agree or like our ownership.


Last edited by 19 in a row: 03-12-2012 at 05:07 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:27 PM
  #32
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade
 
nyiguy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortNeverLose View Post
The bolded is the question that mets and isles fan such as myself ask ourselves everyday... You do it if you are a true fan plain and simple
Yeah, I hope it will lead to something one day. I just want to see a playoff series win. Just one. I can't even imagine what it would be like for them to win a cup.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:27 PM
  #33
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Okay let's say wang is the root of all the issues (i agree he has run it off the rails but we were in dire straits befor he came, 20 years of bad ownership, he originally bailed us out before screwing it up). What will witholding my support do? Will it get rid of wang and makes us a better team in the new york area somewhere? The fan base turning on the team (and they have every right to do so based on 20 years of mismanagement, and terrible political treatment besides a poor economy) is not a solution .. you can't separate the owner from the team.. if we hurt the owner we hurt the team and hasten a departure as we continue to deteriorate.. As the last poster wrote, we lost a whole generation. People see how the fans feel towards the teams, the waning support, the poor ownership, terrible buidling it all contributes.. no witholding my support won't help the team. If it got rid of the owner or improved our chances going forward i would sign up.. instead it hastens our departure, I will continue to root for my team and go to games.. fans are fans through thick and thin.. doesnt mean we have to agree or like our ownership.
This is your decision bud, and I'd never dream of taking it away from you. I can say this though, one of the reasons Harold Ballard held the Leafs for so long was because the fan base was slave to their past time. Everyone hated Ballard, except for his hand picked butt kissers on the team. There was no change in ownership until that particular POS died. Sadly, as long as people keep going our version of Harold will remain, and he won't help the team like you seem to think he will. The table is set for a sell.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
  #34
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
So, have we woken up?

Rewind five months, and I was very much displeased from the get-go. Many fans, not all, were saying, "Don't worry, it's only 7 games." - and now, this thread. Which is kind of refreshing, quite frankly. Jeez, at some point, people have to get sick of this crap. It's nice to see our younger fans are having their fill. No one should be okay with the product that we've been getting. This team, as constructed, will never make the playoffs. Big changes have to take place. I won't hold my breath, but I know what must be done.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
  #35
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade
 
nyiguy21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Rewind five months, and I was very much displeased from the get-go. Many fans, not all, were saying, "Don't worry, it's only 7 games." - and now, this thread. Which is kind of refreshing, quite frankly. Jeez, at some point, people have to get sick of this crap. It's nice to see our younger fans are having their fill. No one should be okay with the product that we've been getting. This team, as constructed, will never make the playoffs. Big changes have to take place. I won't hold my breath, but I know what must be done.
I am always going to be fan of this team and I will still watch all their games(unless they move).

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
  #36
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!
 
bigtim1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: long island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 500
a lot of these rants i totally agree. Iv been an isles fan for almost 15 years now since i was about 8 years old.....im 23 now. I have never seen the isles have any sort of playoff success. my old man lived through the golden years, and im sure a lot of you old timers (no offence) have lived through it too and i bet it was amazing. us young fans, that havent had any great memories--except for the bates penelty shot--to make us feel good about this team.

I know this team is a huge frustration. there is some nights where they look like they have a chance to make the postseason, other nights, they look like the worst team ever created.
Fellow young fans; we will finally see our team become great. our suffering will be put to an end soon. Im totally willing to put up with the losing if this team becomes great soon. my 15 years as a fan will finally pay off and we will see our islanders compete for a 5th cup.
I know this team is extremely aggravating and it sucks being a fan sometimes. our suffering will end soon. i feel it.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:54 AM
  #37
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
a lot of these rants i totally agree. Iv been an isles fan for almost 15 years now since i was about 8 years old.....im 23 now. I have never seen the isles have any sort of playoff success. my old man lived through the golden years, and im sure a lot of you old timers (no offence) have lived through it too and i bet it was amazing. us young fans, that havent had any great memories--except for the bates penelty shot--to make us feel good about this team.

I know this team is a huge frustration. there is some nights where they look like they have a chance to make the postseason, other nights, they look like the worst team ever created.
Fellow young fans; we will finally see our team become great. our suffering will be put to an end soon. Im totally willing to put up with the losing if this team becomes great soon. my 15 years as a fan will finally pay off and we will see our islanders compete for a 5th cup.
I know this team is extremely aggravating and it sucks being a fan sometimes. our suffering will end soon. i feel it.
This team has been "going to be great" since 1991. Don't hold your breath, kid.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.