HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

San Jose

Old
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
San Jose

I love seeing this team fail. I think they'll make the playoffs, but it's hilarious watching them struggle after what many (including me) thought was a great offseason for them.

Any thoughts on what will happen if they don't make the playoffs? Or if they do make the playoffs?

If they miss the playoffs, McLellan is probably gone. It won't happen, but I'd love to see him back with the Wings.

I could actually see them upsetting St. Louis if that's the 1 vs. 8 matchup.

Last edited by Ricelund: 03-12-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:27 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Hopefully Todd gets fired and comes back to Detroit. Seeing the sharks choke makes me VERY happy.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
chances14

wonder if marleau and thornton will be traded if they miss the playoffs or flame out once again if they do make it

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
ZetterBurger

Best case scenario. Todd gets the boot, comes back here. Thornton goes to TO and chokes more.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:15 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
wonder if marleau and thornton will be traded if they miss the playoffs or flame out once again if they do make it
Both guys would have to waive NMC to make that happen. Have seen several people state on the internet Marleau's wife has no intentions of moving. Think it might be similar to what we are hearing about Stuart's wife. In any case if his family isn't interested that is a non-starter. He did sign an extension in a hurry to stay when many thought he would be the marquee free agent a couple seasons back.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:18 PM
zombi
I D D Q D

Best case scenario: They miss the playoffs.
2nd Best case scenario: They make it as an 8 seed and either knock out the Blues in a hard-fought series are are weary in the next round or the Blues knock them out.

zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

A Sharks-Blues 1st round matchup would be fantastic. No matter who loses, it's a win. If the Sharks lose, they probably have to make a move, either fire McClellan or move some assets. If the Blues lose, the franchise that can be found in the dictionary under "mediocre" is put in their rightful place again.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Lots of hating going on in here.
What happens if the Wings lose in round 1?
Will the Wings have to tear it apart? Or is that only something the Sharks have to do if they lose in round 1?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:22 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Wings won a cup in 08 with their current core. There are no similarities between the sharks and wings.

Sharks have gone to the WCF twice with their core and walked away with hat in hand. Doug Wilson is a very reactionary GM so he will definitely make a big move.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Will the Wings have to tear it apart? Or is that only something the Sharks have to do if they lose in round 1?
What are you talking about? Have the Sharks won the Stanley Cup recently?

Old
03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
What are you talking about? Have the Sharks won the Stanley Cup recently?
What does that matter?
Wings have been eliminated twice by the sharks since the last time they won.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:32 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Wings won a cup in 08 with their current core. There are no similarities between the sharks and wings.

Sharks have gone to the WCF twice with their core and walked away with hat in hand. Doug Wilson is a very reactionary GM so he will definitely make a big move.
So if the Wings and Sharks both lose in Rd 1, only the sharks should rebuild—even though our cup is FOUR YEARS ago and the Sharks have eliminated us twice since then?

Old
03-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
So if the Wings and Sharks both lose in Rd 1, only the sharks should rebuild—even though our cup is FOUR YEARS ago and the Sharks have eliminated us twice since then?
If the Sharks lose in the first round, it will be a core that has shown it is incapable of winning big series losing in the 1 vs. 8 matchup (most likely).

If the Wings lose in the first round, it will likely be a proven core losing in the 4 vs. 5 matchup (most likely).

The only time the Wings have come close to missing the playoffs entirely in the past four years was in 2010 after back-to-back finals appearances when they were wrecked by injuries.

Different scenarios.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:41 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
If the Sharks lose in the first round, it will be a core that has shown it is incapable of winning big series losing in the 1 vs. 8 matchup (most likely).

If the Wings lose in the first round, it will likely be a proven core losing in the 4 vs. 5 matchup (most likely).

Different scenarios.

If the Wings lose in round 1, this will be a core that has proven it's no longer capable of winning the cup or going deep in the playoffs.
It's 2012. 2008 was a long, long time ago.

It would be a pretty obvious trend:
2008 Cup
2009 Lose finals
2010 Lose 2nd Round
2011 Lose 2nd Round
2012 Lose 1st Round

I just caught y'all hating, bro. Don't be mad.

Realistically, win or lose, we're going to see some changeover next year.
Homer is gonna be gone.
Stuart is probably gonna leave.
Lidstrom's fate is unknown.
Hudler might be gone.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
It's 2012. 2008 was a long, long time ago.

It would be a pretty obvious trend:
2008 Cup
2009 Lose finals
2010 Lose 2nd Round
2011 Lose 2nd Round
2012 Lose 1st Round

Tell that to a Leafs fan.

You're forgetting 2009, too.

You didn't "catch" me doing anything. I hate San Jose. I'd love to see them make panic moves this summer.

Last edited by Ricelund: 03-13-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
aar000n

I always though the sharks problem is they are built specifically to beat the wings but when they play the next round lose because it seems they are happy just beating detroit.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar000n View Post
I always though the sharks problem is they are built specifically to beat the wings but when they play the next round lose because it seems they are happy just beating detroit.
The Sharks real problem, IMO, is that their best players, Thornton and Marleau, don't see to be able to sustain their intensity.

For two guys plagued by so many questions, you think they'd burn hotter than the sun to answer them.

Old
03-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:

What are we supposed to do, sing their praises? I can't believe, as a supposed Wings fan, you're not getting just a little enjoyment out of seeing that team suffer. But hey, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

As for me, keep it coming. I am absolutely loving this.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 02:34 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
I think you fail to mention to difference between the mentality of a team that is looking to win another Stanley Cup and a team that has yet to win one.

What do you think the mentality would be in Detroit in 1996 or 1997 if the Wings were having to fight for a playoff seed after making attempts to continually improve the team (such as the Burns and Havlat trade this offseason)?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:04 AM
ZDH

Of course we are gonna hate Bob, what you want us to root for San Jose?

Detroit fans hating on a rival

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I think you fail to mention to difference between the mentality of a team that is looking to win another Stanley Cup and a team that has yet to win one.

What do you think the mentality would be in Detroit in 1996 or 1997 if the Wings were having to fight for a playoff seed after making attempts to continually improve the team (such as the Burns and Havlat trade this offseason)?
A team that has never won my still be hungry enough to win four rounds in the playoffs. A team that has 40 Stanley Cup rings between them might not. I don't know. That sword cuts both ways.

I don't think the difference between the Sharks and Wings getting eliminated in round 1 is as big as you think.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:14 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post

What are we supposed to do, sing their praises? I can't believe, as a supposed Wings fan, you're not getting just a little enjoyment out of seeing that team suffer. But hey, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

As for me, keep it coming. I am absolutely loving this.
I'll get pleasure at seeing them lose to the Red Wings.
The guy on the Sharks who I really hated (Diver Setoguchi) is gone.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Bench
Realgud!

God dammit Bob could you just enjoy the Sharks' skid and their fans having a full blown anxiety attack.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:20 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

haha.
Nope. Not my style. Hasn't been since the days of Wings vs Avs.

After a few years of fanbase vs fanbase internet warfare, you realize that a lot of the people on your own side as dumb or dumber than the people you're warring against. Being on someone's side in an argument because they like the same team is you is about the lowest form of stupidity there is.

Better to go solo. To thine own self be true.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:24 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
A team that has never won my still be hungry enough to win four rounds in the playoffs. A team that has 40 Stanley Cup rings between them might not. I don't know. That sword cuts both ways.

I don't think the difference between the Sharks and Wings getting eliminated in round 1 is as big as you think.
I think Detroit can have some trust in certain aspects of its organization.

As of right now, San Jose has attempted to change their roster around based on what they thought they were missing to get past that hump. The last couple years they have made it past the second round but have gotten ****-kicked in the conference finals. They have brought in new talent. They have traded away different talent. They have attempted to change up their forwards, defense, and goaltending to find that perfect fit. And in all of that, they are currently in the 9th seed and are going to be in a battle with the teams above and below them in order to secure a playoff seed, in a division where the leader is 10 points behind the SECOND PLACE team in the Central and 11 points behind the first place team in the Northwest. After the amount people talked about how much improved the roster was from last season (especially by you), the fact they have regressed so much is going to be a huge issue.

Detroit as of right now is where you would expect them (minus a magical St. Louis run that no one could have predicted and an unlucky current rash of injuries to star players) so at the moment it is business as usual until the real test begins. With San Jose you have a huge issue that as a fan would truly shake my trust in the foundation of the team, let alone give me any hope for getting past the first round.

To me a thread like this could bite us in the ass just for the fact that it was created in the first place, but I think you are really trying to handwave away the fact the Sharks aren't doing much to quell the concerns of their fans about their potential for a cup in the near future.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote