HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Funniest moments of your hockey career

Old
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

vCash: 465
Funniest moments of your hockey career

Share some funny moments that have happened during your games/practice. I'll kick it off with this:

Another one is when I played juniors our coach was lecturing us during the intermission while our assistant coach was taking a leak and he let out a massive "ahhhh" of relief after holding it in all period, and the head coach was just like "thanks for your input, Bondy"

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:04 AM
SCritical

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post

Another one is when I played juniors our coach was lecturing us during the intermission while our assistant coach was taking a leak and he let out a massive "ahhhh" of relief after holding it in all period, and the head coach was just like "thanks for your input, Bondy"
I Lol’d!

There was this kid on my house team, hands down the best skater on the team but not much of a shooter. But about halfway through the season he finally nets one, he’s so excited he does a victory lap, high fiving everyone on the way past, then infront of the other team’s bench, trips at speed and goes flying a$$ over head, sliding halfway toward the goals. The game was delayed because everyone, players and officials was laughing their a$$es off.

Another team’s captain whos kind of short stood on the bench to see the game. It broke and his foot fell through. And he got stuck! We had to stop playing until the rink staff cut him loose!

In a related incident, our coach tripped over a cone demonstrating a drill. We were all like “ohhh ok, so tight turn around cone one, almost fall at cone two?” Then when we did the drill, we were all doing these theatrical trips over the cone.

Another coach who teaches beginner’s hockey skating slipped during class one day and did the splits. It looked ridiculous so those of us that saw it died laughing, but I later learned he pulled a hamstring so I feel bad, retrospectively.

Also always good for a laugh – beginner skaters who fall, stand up only to fall again

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:09 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Saw a guy bend over and throw up while wearing a full face shield. The inside of the shield was completely covered. You couldn't see his face behind the puke.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
bp spec

Had a real nut job in our team when we were younger. Well we had a few.

We had this guy whos stick broke when the ref stepped on the blade. He cried and cried over his favorite stick which was a black/green ccm wooden stick.
We were at a tournament so his father went to buy a new stick. He came back with one of the first Jofa composites. The only problem was that the dad had taped the knob like 5 inches down from the top of the stick. Without cutting the stick. "My son needs something to grow into".

Same guy ate cinnamon buns in the sin bin because he was hungry. He also choked a guy from behind with his stick once. Good memories.

When we were at a tournament in ÷vik (Modo hockey). Two guys, very special guys, started to fight in our locker room. One guy literally picked the other guy up over his head and just threw him down on the floor. They weren't small any of them either. The guy who got thrown down at the floor snapped and when he was leaving the room he kicked a bottle rack with all his power. It was just one thing. The bottles were filled with water and he suffered a broken toe du to this.

Last edited by bp spec: 03-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.
bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
when i played Jr we were all chirping a hot head on the other team after a penalty call, he got livid and threw his stick at our bench, it hit eh turn buckle thingy and whipped back and hit him in the nose. (he was skating towards the bench ) that was lol.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Had an older got on my rec team, not an important piece of the puzzle if you know what I mean. The first period is about to end and somebody notices he isn't on the bench or on the ice but he was getting dressed with us before the game. Turns out somebody locked the bathroom door on our way out to secure our locker room and the guy was locked in the bathroom, missed the entire first period.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:07 PM
mbhhofr

Refereeing for thirty-five years, I had quite a few. One that sticks out was when my partner and I worked a week-end series between Michigan at Minnesota. It was the second game of the series and Minnesota beat Michigan 7-3. Both teams had to leave the ice at the same exit, which was where the visiting team bench was. Minnesota's bench was across the ice. My partner and I were standing by the gate making sure that Michigan left their bench area first and then Minnesota could then leave the ice. All the players had left and then Minnesota's coach, Herb Brooks, stopped in front of my partner and started a little rant. " You're fat. You're out of shape. You can't skate and you can't keep up with the play." He then turned to me and said, "You too." He then left the ice. I stifled a laugh and as one of his assistants was passing me I asked him, "What's with Herb?" The assistant responded, "The guys played so good, Herb has nothing to Bi-ch to them about." Basically, we took one for the team.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Ozz

I can't remember many funny things but I'll never forget this one:

Long ago this guy on the other team was driving me crazy. Tough little bugger to catch and he was quite skilled as well, so you can imagine how that goes. I was our team's 'that guy' too but I also played a tough shadow game. Anyway at one point in the game he was carrying the puck up around the outside of his circle, and I crushed him into the boards. His stick blade got stuck between the boards, he lollipopped over it, and his stick stayed there. Later on in the game a very similar scenario was about to unfold but when he looked up and saw me he screams "OH ****!", dumped the puck right in front of his own net to nobody, and ran away from me.

edit: just thought of this gem: a couple months ago I was coming off after a hard shift and jumped over the boards as I usually do. For some reason, I slid too far and seemed to fall onto the actual bench in slow motion with everyone watching me. We were laughing a good while at that one.

Last edited by Ozz: 03-12-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
I Lol’d!
One of my teammates peed himself on the bench in the same game in the rink we were playing at, we were like completely locked into the bench, you had to go onto the ice then go through a door to get off. So he couldn't just walk to the locker rooms, hence why the assistant coach had to hold it in too

Old
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
We had a guy on our team who thought he was still in the show. Shiny new gear, stick twirls, greased hair, the works. In warmup he was flying around the ice and stretching. He did the stretch where he would put the stickover his head and down his back with both hands, stretching his shoulders. At full speed he caught an edge, but since both hands were on his stick, there was no way to protect himself. He fell flat on his face and slid down into the other teams end on his face with his stick still behind his back. I literally couldn't play the first few shifts because of the tears in my eyes.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Same guy ate cinnamon buns in the sin bin because he was hungry. He also choked a guy from behind with his stick once. Good memories.
In my rink one of the moms who sits in the penalty box always has food or candy so she feeds it to the players, and I often ask for something when I skate past when I'm lining there was also a girl at my goalie school who said she always kept a chocolate bar in her shorts and ate it during stoppages

I lol'd at the choking the guy with the stick part

Old
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
topshelfie
No Rispeck

My team was winning 6-1 , guy on the other team was Paul Byron(currently on Calgary). We chirped him and someone else on my team ripped the visor off his helmet. This all happened early 2nd period. Game was 2, 22 minute periods running time.

We ended up losing 7-6, Byron had 6 goals and an assist

This was in a mens league game.

Last edited by topshelfie: 03-12-2012 at 06:35 PM.
topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

I got this small guy on my team (Not even 5 foot without skates on) and he got a goal in one of our games, which isn't common for him at all. So im like "Hey, nice job" and went to go give him a high five and the whole group congrats thing and when he came by I clotheslined him. I really have no idea what he was doing. He had his head down and was skating as fast as possible to the bench I think. I also winded him too LOL.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Man Bear Pig

When I was really young and playing net a guy on the other team dumped it from his own blue line into our zone, it was bouncing all over the place coming at me, for some reason I decided to try and smother it with my glove. It went right between my legs and bam, Vesa Toskala was born.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
When I was really young and playing net a guy on the other team dumped it from his own blue line into our zone, it was bouncing all over the place coming at me, for some reason I decided to try and smother it with my glove. It went right between my legs and bam, Vesa Toskala was born.
That's alright, when I was playing U18's one of my Dmen shot the puck from inside our own blue line, the girl goalie in the other net went into butterfly and the puck hit her in the face and went in. It was hilarious, especially since I hated the *****.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Had an empty net breakaway and tripped over the blue line. Pulled a Boogaard, missed a check and knocked the glass out. Scored a goal off my helmet. Good times. Im a horrible player.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
fish7

vCash: 161770
In the early 90s my team was playing in a beer league tournament in Jefferson City Mo. Both years I played in this it was a total drunkfest. Anyway the first year after our first game one of my teammates headed for the shower with just his towel over his shoulder. He was not paying attention and instead of going back to the shower area he walked right out into the lobby and it was packed for a public session. We all saw what he was doing and no one stopped him. He walked back through the locker room and did not say a word while we were all dying. We still laugh about it

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish7 View Post
In the early 90s my team was playing in a beer league tournament in Jefferson City Mo. Both years I played in this it was a total drunkfest. Anyway the first year after our first game one of my teammates headed for the shower with just his towel over his shoulder. He was not paying attention and instead of going back to the shower area he walked right out into the lobby and it was packed for a public session. We all saw what he was doing and no one stopped him. He walked back through the locker room and did not say a word while we were all dying. We still laugh about it
OHHH no!

I remember my first day of womenís rep training I was shocked when one of the girls came out in just her undies and a tank top to talk to the coach. I didnít realise a) coach and team were alone in the rink and b) the coach is her dad!

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:20 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
That's alright, when I was playing U18's one of my Dmen shot the puck from inside our own blue line, the girl goalie in the other net went into butterfly and the puck hit her in the face and went in. It was hilarious, especially since I hated the *****.
lol. I remember a few years back I wound up at the blue line to take a slapshot and this guy on the other team just stood in the crease and wouldn't move. So I again wound up, still doesn't move. I remember thinking "okay bud, if you're gonna stand there, you're gonna get hit". Third time I wound up I let a howitzer go. What does he do? decides to turn around and take on the back of the head like a head. I've never seen someone go down so quickly. He threw his gloves down and appeared to start convulsing on the ice. The lesson here is that you get the **** out of the way and let your goalie save it and when you're wearing a cage why the hell would you turn?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
This is definitely up there. I didn't play with this guy in this game, but I do know him and have played with him when I was around DFW. The funny part is right near the end.

He's a very... intense dude. Nice off the ice, just tends to get caught up in the moment. Haven't seem him play in a while - I do hope he's mellowed some.

Last edited by Kritter471: 03-13-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:13 AM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
This is definitely up there. I didn't play with this guy in this game, but I do know him and have played with him when I was around DFW. The funny part is right near the end.

He's a very... intense dude. Nice off the ice, just tends to get caught up in the moment. Haven't seem him play in a while - I do hope he's mellowed some.
That was awesome. Some years ago I played a game at an outdoor rink. It was cold as hell and a guy who isn't that great but has a hell of a temper hadn't played for a while. Suddenly the coach screams at him to get on the ice, he stands up very quickly and jumps over the boards. He couldn't jump over properly though because he was frozen like a stick, he got stuck with his feet and faceplanted the ice. Some of the shortest shifts he has taken. He had a cage, so you can laugh about it..

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post

That was hilarious. Especially, cause if I lose it I usually end embarrasing myself just like that.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:57 PM
FANonymous

So this happened a few years ago in our total beginner league. My team and our biggest rival went through 3 periods and OT with no deciding goal. In the shootout, one of our top players [good skater good goal scorer] decides he really wants to stick it to the other team. Instead of just starting at center ice with the puck, he decides to skate towards our goalie, get a head of steam and then pick up the puck at full speed.

So as he's skating back towards center ice somehow he completely whiffs on the puck. I have no idea how. Everybody is laughing. Both teams are hooting and hollering at him because it was really funny. He starts skating back towards our bench and the refs come to get him because he didn't touch the puck so he still gets to shoot. He's so flustered that he half-assedly skates in tries a move and fires the puck way wide. As he's skating back towards us, he takes off his glove and flips the bird at every guy on the other team's bench without even looking at them.

He then proceeded to flip out in the locker room while the shootout continued. Funny thing is we won that shootout after about 14 rounds when the oldest and slowest guy on our team [last one in the lineup before we start back at the top] scores. This guy is literally in his 70s and had a triple or quadruple bypass surgery a few years back and he gets the game winner. What a night.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
VerySuperFamous

Well this was road hockey but

My friend who doesn't play hockey a lot but plays tackle in football had the puck. I tried to steal it since he wasn't protecting it well. He ended up stepping on the blade of my stick as we were running. He had about eighty pounds on me so I basically fell overtop of my stick onto the pavement.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
FrozenJagrt

At a tournament several years ago, we were really beating up on another team on a scoreboard and they were getting pretty frustrated. After a high stick, a scrum ensued and I ended up punching another player in the back of the head (yes, dirty move on my part). We ended up fighting, and he got tossed out of the game while I didn't get anything but a roughing penalty. After the game, I headed back to my hotel and got on the elevator. There was one other person in there. The player I fought. Talk about awkward elevator rides.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote