HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 ACHA Season Topic

Old
02-15-2012, 11:29 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
The ACHA released their national championship tournament bracket:

#5 Liberty vs #12 Adrian
#4 Arizona State vs Oakland/Mercyhurst

#6 Ohio vs #11 Illinois
#3 Delaware vs Davenport/Drexel

#8 Iowa State vs #9 Oklahoma
#1 Penn State vs Rutgers/West Virginia

#7 Minot State vs #10 Robert Morris (IL)
#2 Lindenwood vs Central Oklahoma/Kent State

http://illini-hockey.com/News/2012_02_15_02.htm

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
sbkbghockey

vCash: 500
#1 Penn State upset by #13 Oakland 5-3 in the ACHA DI Semifinals. Oakland played really well earlier today and took advantage of their scoring chances.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

ugh..... just disappointed that I really haven't been able to follow the ACHA at all this year for the most part.... and definitely surprising that Penn State got knocked out.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
#1 Penn State upset by #13 Oakland 5-3 in the ACHA DI Semifinals. Oakland played really well earlier today and took advantage of their scoring chances.
Good riddance. The valedictorians of the club hockey "special ed class" won't win another "National Championship."

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

heh, that's one way to put it, I suppose.

Regardless, probably gonna be rooting for Delaware this time around.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
sbkbghockey

Although the Oakland upset of PSU was big, there was something else going on. PSU barely survived Oklahoma in a scrappy game in the quarterfinals. Oklahoma was playing PSU really well and at times really controlling play. If it wasn't for the major penalty by the Sooners' goaltender PSU might not have gained momentum and goals in the third. For the Oakland game Gadowski benched DI transfer Kirchhevel and I think a cpl other top players.

Old
03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

SUNY Canton needs a more difficult schedule, they beat teams 10-1 but don't get picked for the national tournament because they hardly ever play top-ranked teams

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
SUNY Canton needs a more difficult schedule, they beat teams 10-1 but don't get picked for the national tournament because they hardly ever play top-ranked teams
I don't think they're worried about it. They were in a week conference, and many of their non-conf games were against in-state programs, that happen to be weak teams. They also played three games against NCAA DIII teams. Since they're transitioning to NCAA DIII in a season or two, they'll likely increase their NCAA schedule and phase out ACHA.

I like the ACHA Tournament but one change they could look into is making the auto-bids for the conference playoff champions like the NCAA. If so Canton would have gotten that bid instead of Mercyhurst.

Old
03-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Can anyone fill me in on how the national tournament bids work? I played club for Cornell back in the day (about 12+ years ago at this point) and I occasionally check-in on the fellas. Saw that they finished second in the regular season to Rutgers in their league, went on to win the post-season tourney, but Rutgers received the bid.

Are the bids based on polls? Are there any automatic bids for winning your league (either regular or post-season)?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Good article on club programs. It mentioned how Michigan St was using the club team to fill in the roster for the Green-White game. Our club team at Cornell has been doing that the Red-White scrimmage for years, since before I was playing there at the very least.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Can anyone fill me in on how the national tournament bids work? I played club for Cornell back in the day (about 12+ years ago at this point) and I occasionally check-in on the fellas. Saw that they finished second in the regular season to Rutgers in their league, went on to win the post-season tourney, but Rutgers received the bid.

Are the bids based on polls? Are there any automatic bids for winning your league (either regular or post-season)?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Good article on club programs. It mentioned how Michigan St was using the club team to fill in the roster for the Green-White game. Our club team at Cornell has been doing that the Red-White scrimmage for years, since before I was playing there at the very least.
I do the same. Anyways to answer your question, auto-bids go to regular season conference champions, with the rest of the seeding and selection coming from the ACHA D1 National Coaches poll.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
ACHA Men's Division 1 comprises 54 teams. There are seven conferences along with Independent teams that compete annually for the Murdoch Cup, which awarded to the Men's ACHA Division 1 National Champion. Twenty teams compete in the National Tournament. These top-twenty teams are ranked/selected by the Div. 1 National Coaches poll, and as determined by auto-berths from the seven regular-season Conference champions. At Nationals, teams ranked 1-12 all receive first-round bye's, with teams ranked 13-20 matching up 20 vs 13 (etc.), for the rights to play in the second-round in pre-determined bracket slots.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 04-23-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote