HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose

Old
03-13-2012, 03:27 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I think Detroit can have some trust in certain aspects of its organization.

As of right now, San Jose has attempted to change their roster around based on what they thought they were missing to get past that hump. The last couple years they have made it past the second round but have gotten ****-kicked in the conference finals. They have brought in new talent. They have traded away different talent. They have attempted to change up their forwards, defense, and goaltending to find that perfect fit. And in all of that, they are currently in the 9th seed and are going to be in a battle with the teams above and below them in order to secure a playoff seed, in a division where the leader is 10 points behind the SECOND PLACE team in the Central and 11 points behind the first place team in the Northwest. After the amount people talked about how much improved the roster was from last season (especially by you), the fact they have regressed so much is going to be a huge issue.

Detroit as of right now is where you would expect them (minus a magical St. Louis run that no one could have predicted and an unlucky current rash of injuries to star players) so at the moment it is business as usual until the real test begins. With San Jose you have a huge issue that as a fan would truly shake my trust in the foundation of the team, let alone give me any hope for getting past the first round.

To me a thread like this could bite us in the ass just for the fact that it was created in the first place, but I think you are really trying to handwave away the fact the Sharks aren't doing much to quell the concerns of their fans about their potential for a cup in the near future.
San Jose has beaten Detroit the last two years.
Say both teams die in round 1.

Maybe SJ's GM has a lower panic threshold because of job security. But really, which team has a better playoff record over the last three seasons? Which team is closer to the cup?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
haha.
Nope. Not my style. Hasn't been since the days of Wings vs Avs.

After a few years of fanbase vs fanbase internet warfare, you realize that a lot of the people on your own side as dumb or dumber than the people you're warring against. Being on someone's side in an argument because they like the same team is you is about the lowest form of stupidity there is.

Better to go solo. To thine own self be true.
Would you lighten up.

And the only people you war against are your friends here. In that very post you've implied there are idiots and stupid people littering this place. Even if that's true, so what? It's just hockey discussion.

As a gesture of peace, I offer you this leather vest:

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:29 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Would you lighten up.

And the only people you war against are your friends here. In that very post you've implied there are idiots and stupid people littering this place. Even if that's true, so what? It's just hockey discussion.

As a gesture of peace, I offer you this leather vest:

No. I will not lighten up.
I am serious!

Thanks for the shirt mang. But I don't wear wolves. Too packy.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Which team is closer to the cup?
Trick question; neither. The correct answer is: Flavor of the month team.

I'll go with St. Louis.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:33 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
San Jose has beaten Detroit the last two years.
Say both teams die in round 1.

Maybe SJ's GM has a lower panic threshold because of job security. But really, which team has a better playoff record over the last three seasons? Which team is closer to the cup?
The fact would remain that another year has passed for San Jose, another cup has left their grasp, and the moves they made the previous offseason led to a substantially worse season overall.

Do you consider that a mulligan, or do you add it to the recent history of problems San Jose has had in getting it done with the amount of talent they have had?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Thanks for the shirt mang. But I don't wear wolves. Too packy.
But that one is LONE. He doesn't even have a club! He's like, so edgy.

Seriously though you should say something bad about San Jose. Maybe something like how Handzus makes Homer look like The Flash.

Old
03-13-2012, 06:36 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I think this thread is needs to be burned and buried cause if SJ outs the Wings again the haters will have egg on their faces and no place to hide.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Henkka

I don't get any extra feelings if the Sharks are blown out and if it isn't the Wings who will blow them out.

It would be nice to see McLellan joining MacLean at Ottawa.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:36 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I'm sorry, but this is a stupid thread. Firstly, I want to say I love seeing the Sharks struggle as much as the next Wings fan, but they are still a dangerous team with some quality players. They are still capable of challenging this season and I wouldn't be 100% confident going into a series against them.

This thread better not come back and bite us in the ass if the Wings **** the bed in the postseason.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 07:37 AM
DATSmagYUK
Rookie User

Personally I would love to see another Wing / Shark matchup. Prefer it to be WCF but the series is always a war. Love the intensity. That being said the diving, Refs and Jumbo Joe cheap shots drive me crazy but all in all Great hockey to watch.

DATSmagYUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a stupid thread. Firstly, I want to say I love seeing the Sharks struggle as much as the next Wings fan, but they are still a dangerous team with some quality players. They are still capable of challenging this season and I wouldn't be 100% confident going into a series against them.

This thread better not come back and bite us in the ass if the Wings **** the bed in the postseason.
Karma police!

Didn't I say in the OP I could see the Sharks upsetting the Blues?

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post

Tell that to a Leafs fan.

You're forgetting 2009, too.

You didn't "catch" me doing anything. I hate San Jose. I'd love to see them make panic moves this summer.
CB rushing to the defense of every team not named the Wings. What else is new?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

There's a few people on here I suspect are secretly rooting for the Sharks to validate things they claimed during the off-season.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
There's a few people on here I suspect are secretly rooting for the Sharks to validate things they claimed during the off-season.
The Brent Burns crowd certainly has to be struggling for reasons to still believe. Have believed all along the Sharks got worked in the Minnesota deals and that is without even seeing Coyle (perhaps the best player sent in any direction if he pans out) yet.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
TheOtherOne

By far the best case scenario would be Wings beat Sharks in round 2.

Because then all those people who ***** about how Wings will never beat Sharks until they trade in their whole core will have to shut up.

Just kidding, they will never shut up. But it will be satisfying nonetheless.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
babcockscowl

I enjoy watching the Canucks Fail more, but not the aftermath as a result of the failure

babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
God dammit Bob could you just enjoy the Sharks' skid and their fans having a full blown anxiety attack.
The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife. If Detroit was in San Jose's position I'm pretty sure he'd be rapturous. So when some express that sentiment about an actual rival of course it chaps certain tushies.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Lots of hating going on in here.
What happens if the Wings lose in round 1?
Will the Wings have to tear it apart? Or is that only something the Sharks have to do if they lose in round 1?
Be honest for a minute. If the Wings were in SJ's shoes right now you'd be calling for everyone to be fired, so puh-leeeze.

There were those of us here, like me, who didn't quiver in fear when SJ made the moves they made and (completely 100% accurately) pointed out that SJ was taking a huge gamble on your boy Havlat while in the very best case reducing their offense significantly and improving their defense slightly.

So, Havlat does his Havlat thing, the Sharks can't score goals (down from 2.96 to 2.66), and their team defense is slightly better (down from 2.54 to 2.50).

SJ has a bunch of games in hand, so I don;t think they are in much danger of missing the playoffs entirely... but, again, if Detroit was doing what SJ has done you would be leading the charge excoriating the whole franchise, and you absolutely know it.

So save the pious dismissal of these criticisms as 'hating', because this is actually an instance where a team deserves to be jumped on, unlike the innumerable times where posters here predict the Wings will finish 7th or worse year after year.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
TradeBait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I love seeing this team fail.
Quote:
I just caught y'all hating, bro. Don't be mad.
Astute observation, sir.

TradeBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Hey, shouldn't you guys be talking up Lidstrom as a Norris candidate or something?

It'll be ok. It's only game, dear.

Last edited by RedWingsNow*: 03-13-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old
03-13-2012, 11:43 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife. If Detroit was in San Jose's position I'm pretty sure he'd be rapturous. So when some express that sentiment about an actual rival of course it chaps certain tushies.
You guys are the haters, man.
Who is chapped?

I don't care.

I think SJ should probably still make. Then guess what, they're in.
Last year Chicago was a goal away from taking down the number 1 seed. You think any #1 seed wants to play the Sharks? You're crazy. Or Their crazy.

There are 4 teams you don't want any part of: Detroit, Chicago, SJ and Vancouver if you have any sense in you.

Sorry my post isn't filled with the kind of stuff that wins you lots of support around here:
LOL at SJ.
They suck.
So much for Havlat and Burns and all the people who said they'd be better and we'd be worse. laugh:
I know they got lucky and beat us for two straight years, but I'm gonna laugh so hard when they get ripped apart laugh:

Old
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
I don't care.
I wish you shared this same attitude when I express optimism for the Wings.

Old
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
icKx
What now?

My prediction: Dallas will cool off; Sharks will win the division; we'll hold the 4th seed or slide to #5 and be looking up at them in the standings come playoff time.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
You guys are the haters, man.
Who is chapped?
Yes Newsy, we hate our rivals. It's kinda like how Chicago hates the Wings.

You do remember rivalry's right? I remember all of those Avs threads during the 90's where they talked up the Wings at all times.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
DarkReign

I was dead wrong about SJ to start the year but I dont have any feeling toward them in regards to their current playoff position.

I am not worried about SJ (anymore) because there are far better teams than SJ for Detroit fans to fret about. There are 3 possible teams better than Detroit in the West alone. If SJ makes it as a 7 or 8 seed (they will), the chances of Detroit even seeing them in the playoffs is excessively low.

First, SJ would have to beat StLouis in the 1st round. Un-frickin-likely.

If they did however, they would then have to beat Vancouver in the 2nd round. Again, unlikely.

Detroit would have to beat Nashville then Chicago to even face SJ in the WCFs. (Phoenix, Dallas and Colorado are pretenders through and through)

SJ isnt even on my radar right now. I watched them play last night against Edmonton and came away unimpressed for a team that is literally in a dogfight to even make the playoffs. When Detroit was in a very similar situation in 2009-10, they went on an incredible run to finish the season and ended being the 5th seed. SJ can barely squeak by bottom feeders at the moment. Also, games in hand dont mean anything to me. GIH only mean something if you win them which is incredibly hard to do right now.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote