Old
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Anaheim ownership, and the hockey OPS department need to make a decision.
Either make a decision to compete, or make a decision to rebuild.

We have wasted 3+ years on Perry and Getzlaf being signed to bargain contracts, due to this questionable strategy of "rebuilding on the fly"

Some of the pieces moving forward look good, I am happy having young defensemen like Sbisa and Fowler, and having atleast two more studs, in Vatanan and Schultz as prospects.

Forward wise it is bleak, we have the big 3, DSP looks like he has a bright future, Cogliano brings a nice speed element but everything else is prospects. Etem, Palmieri, Holland are essentially the 3 best, close to the NHL. Rakell and Friberg look nice down the road.

But here are the facts, in the last 4 years, we have finished 8th, missed the playoffs, 4th(in which we nearly missed, and took a late season surge), and again missing the playoffs.

This strategy, time and again fails in sports, unless you get a little lucky, and have franchise players already in place. Bob Murray belongs on the hot seat, and so does the ownership, for their questionable direction of the team
I said at the start of the season this team is in the direction of needing to rebuild, but got flamed. Now people are jumping on the bandwagon of rebuilding....Mhmmm gotta love HF!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Just like Burkes plan in Toronto? Burke was the luckiest GM of all time. Most of what he accomplished in Anaheim was not because of his actions. Pronger is the 1 person he acquired and it worked out.

The following were not because of him:

Getzlaf
Perry
checking line
Teemu
Penner
McDonald
Kunitz
Neidermayer
Giggy

There are who was here because of him:

Beauchemin
Pronger

Schnieder
Bertuzzi

Lets not act like Burke was a God.
The bolded are wrong. Burke signed Niedermayer, Selanne & traded for Moen. He also brought in Marchant, Beauchemin, O'Donnell & Hiller, some pretty big parts of our cup run/current side in Hiller's case.

I think Burke is an arrogant jackass but I would take him back as our GM in an instant. And his drafting isn't as bad as it's made out to be either. MacMillan and Mitera are the only terrible picks and Mitera was developing very well until his torn ACL which ruined his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
So in the end Murray has been getting us average results with an average payroll. Meaning he's an average GM, all while improving the prospect core (although probably not giving it good balance).
I think he probably is middle of the pack (barely), like you said. I just have higher expectations of our management staff than just icing an average team, especially after some of the terrible teams I had to put up with in the Disney days.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Snark is right when he says that Murray has taken average inputs and created average outputs. If this team was a perennial top five conference team on our budget the Murray would be a top five GM. So yeah, he isn't a top fiver.

Limit the expectations when the resources just aren't here.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
The bolded are wrong. Burke signed Niedermayer, Selanne & traded for Moen. He also brought in Marchant, Beauchemin, O'Donnell & Hiller, some pretty big parts of our cup run/current side in Hiller's case.

I think Burke is an arrogant jackass but I would take him back as our GM in an instant. And his drafting isn't as bad as it's made out to be either. MacMillan and Mitera are the only terrible picks and Mitera was developing very well until his torn ACL which ruined his career.

I think he probably is middle of the pack (barely), like you said. I just have higher expectations of our management staff than just icing an average team, especially after some of the terrible teams I had to put up with in the Disney days.
No his drafting was terrible we passed up on countless future stars, so did other teams but I remember the MacMillan pick, alot of people hated it and they obviously didn't do their homework on him and his personality.

Burke reshaped a soft team full of overpaid players and transitioned it into the toughest team in the league, that also had the skill needed to win.

I would bring him back in an instant, and deep down he knows leaving was a mistake

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:

Scotty came here for his brither, I could have been GM and gotten that done...

Teemu came here for sentimental reasons. Once again I think it had nothing to do with Burke but I will call that a wash.

What was the Moen trade? I dont remember that.

And I think you are seriously overating his drafting You have to remember that GMs only have to do with the 1st rounders mostly. He has made some terrible 1st round picks

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post

And I think you are seriously overating his drafting You have to remember that GMs only have to do with the 1st rounders mostly. He has made some terrible 1st round picks
I'm not over-rating it, just pointing out that it's not as bad as it's made out to be. The 2008 looks very good with Gardiner, Schultz & McMillan, the Ryan pick at the time was a reach but in hindsight he made the right call picking him over Johnson, Pouliot etc. If you want to see terrible drafting, look no further than the Pierre Gauthier era. Or any 1st round pick we had until 2002 that wasn't Kariya or Salei.

Old
03-11-2012, 06:58 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

McMillan has to do a lot more then he has done so far to be a 'good pick', yes he was solid for a while last season, but that's it.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Paul4587

Well, Schultz hasn't done anything yet but I think it's safe to say he's looking like a good pick. Just because McMillan struggled in only his second professional season at the age of 21 doesn't mean he's all of a sudden a bust. After last season some posters were predicting he would be a 20 goal 50 point guy and that he should be playing with Koivu and Selanne. I definitely don't think that's the case but his hockey IQ and skating ability alone should give him a decent NHL career.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:33 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Well, Schultz hasn't done anything yet but I think it's safe to say he's looking like a good pick. Just because McMillan struggled in only his second professional season at the age of 21 doesn't mean he's all of a sudden a bust. After last season some posters were predicting he would be a 20 goal 50 point guy and that he should be playing with Koivu and Selanne. I definitely don't think that's the case but his hockey IQ and skating ability alone should give him a decent NHL career.
I'm not saying he's a bust, but he's far from a good pick at this point, has to prove more at the NHL level first. Plenty of players have had 1 good NHL season and done nothing else.

Old
03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I'm not saying he's a bust, but he's far from a good pick at this point, has to prove more at the NHL level first. Plenty of players have had 1 good NHL season and done nothing else.
Fair enough. Only time will tell I guess.

Old
03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
pbgoalie

Time will answer all.
Last 3 years, team underperformed early, made runs.
There were weaknesses in many areas, and great strengths.

Team let Scotty retire here. Will let Teemu retire here.
Saku, Lubo etc.
These guys could have netted returns that would set the team up for
a long run of competitive. Will standing pat this year hurt long term?

We have an internal budget that hurts, but inexpensie (relative) stars
and a preety poor set of results the past couple years IMO.
In some cases, the runs (and they have been impressive) kept
us believing we were close, but are we really?

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 06:24 PM
DarthYenik

Am I the only one that's not worried?

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:26 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

Quote:
I am talking about that 2007 bust of a first round pick, remember he was "safe"

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:47 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Am I the only one that's not worried?
No you must panic, we demand 16 prospect skaters in the line up for next season!!!!!!!

Old
03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Anaheim ownership, and the hockey OPS department need to make a decision.
Either make a decision to compete, or make a decision to rebuild.

We have wasted 3+ years on Perry and Getzlaf being signed to bargain contracts, due to this questionable strategy of "rebuilding on the fly"

Some of the pieces moving forward look good, I am happy having young defensemen like Sbisa and Fowler, and having atleast two more studs, in Vatanan and Schultz as prospects.

Forward wise it is bleak, we have the big 3, DSP looks like he has a bright future, Cogliano brings a nice speed element but everything else is prospects. Etem, Palmieri, Holland are essentially the 3 best, close to the NHL. Rakell and Friberg look nice down the road.

But here are the facts, in the last 4 years, we have finished 8th, missed the playoffs, 4th(in which we nearly missed, and took a late season surge), and again missing the playoffs.

This strategy, time and again fails in sports, unless you get a little lucky, and have franchise players already in place. Bob Murray belongs on the hot seat, and so does the ownership, for their questionable direction of the team
I've said this 2 years ago and it's been long overdue. Here's the problem I have with Murray, he's not committed to anything, no long-term vision. I sound like a broken record but the rebuild should've started 2 years ago when Niedermayer and Pronger left. There's absolutely no commitment by Murray whatsoever.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Rush519

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
It's too early to call this rebuilding a failure. The prospects they have drafted during those 4 years are just about to make it to the lineup. Next season is going to be different.
lol i hope we do do better next year or we are going to start to sound like leaf fans.. well we will do better next year...next year is gonna be our year..

Rush519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Rush519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
We are not so far away IMHO. What we don't have is a Lucic type of player but to be honest, who has? DSP, Palmeri, Rakell, Clark, Schofield, Cramarossa are all very gritty. and when you look at our prospects you see that we drafted size, speed and grit. I think the Bruins are a better tougher team to play than the old Ducks.
we could have drafted Lucic, but we decided to go with Bryce Swan instead, but i dont want to get into those couple of years of drafting Logan McMillan and Mark Mitera

Rush519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
I've said this 2 years ago and it's been long overdue. Here's the problem I have with Murray, he's not committed to anything, no long-term vision. I sound like a broken record but the rebuild should've started 2 years ago when Niedermayer and Pronger left. There's absolutely no commitment by Murray whatsoever.
Good god this. +1000

This offseason with all the free agents and cap space will push us ahead or destroy us for years to come. I for one I scared ****less with Murray at the helm.

Professor John Frink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Colorado has been a failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post

Colorado - No playoffs 2 (likely 3) of 4 years. Got schooled in the St Louis trade.
Nope.

BoxOfChocolates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
panny2727

i would of loved a forward from your roster on the bruins at the deadline. can't figure why your gm didn't do any selling?? Its obvious that your team is in cap hell and he should be trying to find ways to fix it. are perry, getzlaf and ryan all worth the money. are they two way players??

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by panny2727 View Post
i would of loved a forward from your roster on the bruins at the deadline. can't figure why your gm didn't do any selling?? Its obvious that your team is in cap hell and he should be trying to find ways to fix it. are perry, getzlaf and ryan all worth the money. are they two way players??
The Ducks are not in a cap hell. RPG are on a very friendly contracts and there are only few players who are slightly overpaid (Lydman, Blake for example). Otherwise there are no super long or super expensive contracts either so no cap hell.

Murray didn't trade anyone because the team was doing great before the deadline and everything was just clicking and chemistry was good. It would have been a bad move to trade important players away and start finding working lineups again. It's easy to come in now and say "you should have traded yadayadayada" but the team was going for the playoffs that time even though it seemed unlikely.

If you have a trade proposal then lets see it.

JabbaJabba is online now   Reply With Quote