HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Silfverberg would consider coming for the playoffs

Old
03-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 500
Speculation: Silfverberg would consider coming for the playoffs

Orginal
http://arbetarbladet.se/sport/brynas...nte-att-stoppa

... about playing the Stanley Cup finals with Ottawa on Brynäs go out early - and so say no to World Cup games:
- Ottawa has not actually said anything, but I know that Marcus Krüger did this last year (with the Chicago Editor's note). I'd definitely be there. Do I get the chance, I take it, after all it is the world's best league.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:51 AM
HSF

this..would be awessome

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

It would be like a second christmas day... in march/april!

The Turret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
operasen

Good to get it down here as well.

He'd slide in beside Turris or even Spezza as a LW I would assume. Needs couple of game to get used to the ice here. REALLY hope this happens. It could be the bump that gets us a leg up on skill over the bruins.

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Silfverberg - Turris - Alfredsson
Klinkhammer - Smith - Condra
Foligno - O'Brien - Neil
Daugavins

Butler, Konopka, Winchester (?) part of the Black Aces

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Anything to get Greening/Condra/Butler out of the top-6...

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Tuna99

I think Klinkhammer put a damper on Silf's dream, playoffs is not a time to learn the N.A. games, especially when you are not a very physical player going against the Bruins.

It could really hurt Silf's development to put him n N.A. ice against the Bruins as they defend their Cup. Best to break him in over the summer and start him clean next season and he can get used to the pace and physicality of the NHL in games 1-20 when the leagues isn't as quick or as physical as it is between games 60-82 or the playoffs.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Nizzy

Tell Uncle on his way too pick up Silfverberg not too forget about picking up Zibanejad too

Silfverberg Spezza Zibanejad
Milo Turris Alfie

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:14 AM
FlapjackSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
I think Klinkhammer put a damper on Silf's dream, playoffs is not a time to learn the N.A. games, especially when you are not a very physical player going against the Bruins.

It could really hurt Silf's development to put him n N.A. ice against the Bruins as they defend their Cup. Best to break him in over the summer and start him clean next season and he can get used to the pace and physicality of the NHL in games 1-20 when the leagues isn't as quick or as physical as it is between games 60-82 or the playoffs.
Reading your post, it suggests that you imply we might be finished in the first 4-5 games. While I can't disagree with you, do you really think 4 games would hinder his development that much?

If anything, it would give him a glimpse of what could be the world's best team, and what it takes to get there. Even if we were to get swept, by whomever, 4 games would not be detrimental to his development.

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
FlapjackSilver

Does anybody else not remember when Spez came in half-way through the series with NJ? He made a pretty significant impact. (In '02-'03? )

FlapjackSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

That would be awesome to see

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

He has a top 6 winger positiion waiting for him when he arrives.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapjackSilver View Post
Reading your post, it suggests that you imply we might be finished in the first 4-5 games. While I can't disagree with you, do you really think 4 games would hinder his development that much?

If anything, it would give him a glimpse of what could be the world's best team, and what it takes to get there. Even if we were to get swept, by whomever, 4 games would not be detrimental to his development.
I just think evaluating players that are not NHL or at least AHL battle hardened is a bad idea - Silf has a lot to learn, could you imagine Rundblad playing in the NHL playoffs last year?

Just not a good idea for his development, still lots of competative hockey in Europe, let him go to the WJC and evaluate him aginast NHL talent when nothing is at stake for the franchise.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Asquaredx2

yes please

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlapjackSilver View Post
Does anybody else not remember when Spez came in half-way through the series with NJ? He made a pretty significant impact. (In '02-'03? )
Spezza was already an AHL player and had played half a season in the NHL - this was not a player who had Zero NHL games or had never played on North American Ice. Big, big difference.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
I just think evaluating players that are not NHL or at least AHL battle hardened is a bad idea - Silf has a lot to learn, could you imagine Rundblad playing in the NHL playoffs last year?

Just not a good idea for his development, still lots of competative hockey in Europe, let him go to the WJC and evaluate him aginast NHL talent when nothing is at stake for the franchise.
I'm not sure he has a whole lot more to accomplish over in Europe. He's already one of the best SEL players in the league at a ripe old age of 21. Hhe's already played 4 seasons in Sweden. Dorion and Murray wanted him over to NA this year and they are not ones to rush guys if they aren't ready.

I see no problem with putting Silf in the lineup. He's AHL or more likely NHL bound next year anyways...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:34 AM
HappyDude
Classless

I don't know about this. As mentioned before, learning on the smaller rink in the playoffs with a team you have never played with........ I doubt this happens.

What are the contract repercussions?

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

No matter how good a player is, its hard to justify inserting them into the lineup in the Stanley Cup playoffs for their very first game on small ice.

It's an adjustment to get used to the speed and pace of the game on NA ice compared to big ice during regular games let alone the playoffs.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
No matter how good a player is, its hard to justify inserting them into the lineup in the Stanley Cup playoffs for their very first game on small ice.

It's an adjustment to get used to the speed and pace of the game on NA ice compared to big ice during regular games let alone the playoffs.
Hence the need to get him here asap to see whether or not it can happen. Love to see over the last say 10 games whether he is a fit.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Hence the need to get him here asap to see whether or not it can happen. Love to see over the last say 10 games whether he is a fit.
This, if we brought him in around game 76 that would be great

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Ouroboros

Go Frolunda!

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
I don't know about this. As mentioned before, learning on the smaller rink in the playoffs with a team you have never played with........ I doubt this happens.

What are the contract repercussions?
Pretty sure there would be no repercussions since Silfverberg already burnt a year off his ELC this year anyways. Normally it would take a year off if his contract could still slide, but in this case loaning him to the SEL this year took the first year of the contract IRC.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Bileur

Quote:

I have to disagree here. I think Silfverberg’s success at the international level against men, as well as his great success in the SEL show that he is capable of playing the game at a very high level. If he comes in and shows he deserves a roster spot over any of our current players he should have it.

I do not get the impression that this is a player which would be damaged by a potential flop in the playoffs. If anything, considering his character, such a flop could be beneficial in the long run as it would be an excellent wake up call to the level of dedication required to have success in the NHL. This could end up being a great benefit to the sens in October 2012 with a prepared, focused Silfverberg arriving at camp having worked his … off all summer.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Pretty sure there would be no repercussions since Silfverberg already burnt a year off his ELC this year anyways. Normally it would take a year off if his contract could still slide, but in this case loaning him to the SEL this year took the first year of the contract IRC.

If no contract implications, I would like to see him for a few games before the playoffs. Heck of a gamble to mess with chemistry with an unknown quantity. I have faith in McLean doing it right though.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Iamok
#Panic

I love how some of you treat prospects like they have the mental fortitude of 5 year olds. You really think a playoff series against the Bruins is going to set his entire career back? Especially after the season he's had?...

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
I love how some of you treat prospects like they have the mental fortitude of 5 year olds. You really think a playoff series against the Bruins is going to set his entire career back? Especially after the season he's had?...
You have a player who admits he is not a physical player and had his own doubts (mental fortitude at play here) about the NHL this year and you want to throw him on the ice versus the Bruins? Silf stayed in Sweden this year because he was afraid he wasn't ready, that enough insite into his frame of mind that you need.

For prospects with the mental fortitude of a 5 year old, see Alex Daigle after the year he had in Junior, or Filatov.

If he makes the team, great. But Playoffs are for winning, not evaluating or learning, and I think you go with the guys that got you there and not the Golden Boy from Sweden.