HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Old
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Sean Avery to Retire? - Brooks: Avery Tells Post he will retire

Quote:
Avery said Monday night during an After Show segment of Bravo TV's Watch What Happens Live that he was leaving the game. When asked about his hockey future, Avery said, "I am officially retired. I threw my skates in the Hudson."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=622020

He still has a few good hockey years left so it's a damn shame if true. I understand why it has to be, but it still sucks.

https://twitter.com/#!/reporterchris...04047848935426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson
Pat Morris says Sean Avery's future plans will be determined by interest in the summer. Says he was "joking" last night.
LOL What a **** show

https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...11910705135616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
Avery tells Post post-hockey career will start when contract expires. "No, that wasn't a joke, yes I'm retiring at end of season and its ok"

Last edited by silverfish: 03-13-2012 at 12:58 PM.
silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Good riddance *******. There's a Dolce and Gabbana opening on 5th on the corner of 56th. Maybe Sean can find a career there.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Ail
k.

Goodnight sweet prince.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:39 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Good riddance *******. There's a Dolce and Gabbana opening on 5th on the corner of 56th. Maybe Sean can find a career there.
What's your problem? I'm not one of those crazy Avery supporters, but the man always tried to help us win. You may have not liked the way he did that because it was controversial, but he never had a losing attitude. He just didn't fit the mold of the team anymore.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Not surprising. I've expected this ever since he was first sent down.

Thanks for keeping things interesting, Sean. We certainly won't be forgetting about you any time soon.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Yea my gf was watching that crap and let me know Sean Avery was on, critiquing pics of people's fashion choices via twitter. And then a part of my soul died.

03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
I love when RB steps into Avery threads

The guy played his ass off for the team, finished a playoff game with a ruptured spleen, was a main factor in winning the 2 playoff series the Rangers have won since the lockout...he clashed with the current coach and burned the bridge, that's it and that's all.

Best of luck to Sean, he's a smart guy outside of hockey and will do a great job maintaining his level of wealth.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
redfzn

What a shame. Terrible news.

I wish him the best and will wear my Avery sweater with pride.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Yea my gf was watching that crap and let me know Sean Avery was on, critiquing pics of people's fashion choices via twitter. And then a part of my soul died.
You do realize that sports is a male equivalent to superfluous entertainment that is also considered to be crap by people who do not like it, right?

Old
03-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Did he sleep with someone in your family?

Why so angry? Jeez

I don't buy it. Sounds like he was joking, anyway. I think he'll get signed this offseason by one of Philly, Pittsburgh, NYI, or Tampa. I could see those teams being interested in him on a 1 yr low risk contract.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:49 AM
mullichicken25

i hate that he made this place borederline intollerable during the early part of this season (and every ~.500 streak afterwards) but im thankful for what he brought to the team when he was an effective player

he was fun to watch and root for and contributed quite a bit to this teams success. I wish he was still effective on the ice but unfortunately thats not the case anymore

thanks sean, and good luck

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:53 AM
nafsregnar27

I agree with Rangerboy, good riddance indeed. Avery was nothing but a headache for the Rangers.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:55 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
You do realize that sports is a male equivalent to superfluous entertainment that is also considered to be crap by people who do not like it, right?
I get that people think that, yea. But at the bare minimum athletes work dilligently over a period of years to perfect skills that they are better than 99% of the population at. Can't say the same about most of today's reality TV celebs. I'm gonna stop there before we go even further OT.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
What's your problem? I'm not one of those crazy Avery supporters, but the man always tried to help us win. You may have not liked the way he did that because it was controversial, but he never had a losing attitude. He just didn't fit the mold of the team anymore.
What's your problem?

Better men and better players have played for the Rangers. I'm just sick of the Avery sideshow. All of the people who care more about Avery than the actual team. The Rangers did him a favor bringing him back and allowing him to continue his career. So Avery decides to make a jackass of himself and causes trouble in CT. People were surprised Slats didn't place Sean on re-entry waivers. He spit in Sather's face by causing trouble. Sather sent him home.

Its always ends badly for Sean. LA. Dallas. NY. Andy Murray. Bruce Boudreau. Dave Tippett. Brett Hull. John Tortorella. Its never Sean's fault.

Hull took a big risk in the Stars signing Avery. The entire organization wanted no part of Avery. Dave Taylor was working for the Stars. He knew Sean from LA. Hull knew Avery from the Wings. When Sean acted up and got himself in trouble,Hull lost his job in Dallas. Good friend.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I get that people think that, yea. But at the bare minimum athletes work dilligently over a period of years to perfect skills that they are better than 99% of the population at. Can't say the same about most of today's reality TV celebs. I'm gonna stop there before we go even further OT.
Compare sports to fashion, not celebrities. The designers spend years honing their skills as well. Fashion is an art-form, like it or not.

...and yes, this is somewhat OT.

Old
03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Compare sports to fashion, not celebrities. The designers spend years honing their skills as well. Fashion is an art-form, like it or not.

...and yes, this is somewhat OT.
100% agree RE fashion designers. I would not include people paid to discuss, on Bravo, whether someone on twitter's shorts are too short to be in that category though.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
What's your problem?

Better men and better players have played for the Rangers. I'm just sick of the Avery sideshow. All of the people who care more about Avery than the actual team. The Rangers did him a favor bringing him back and allowing him to continue his career. So Avery decides to make a jackass of himself and causes trouble in CT. People were surprised Slats didn't place Sean on re-entry waivers. He spit in Sather's face by causing trouble. Sather sent him home.

Its always ends badly for Sean. LA. Dallas. NY. Andy Murray. Bruce Boudreau. Dave Tippett. Brett Hull. John Tortorella. Its never Sean's fault.

Hull took a big risk in the Stars signing Avery. The entire organization wanted no part of Avery. Dave Taylor was working for the Stars. He knew Sean from LA. Hull knew Avery from the Wings. When Sean acted up and got himself in trouble,Hull lost his job in Dallas. Good friend.
Remember Joe Murphy? Sometimes opportunities are handed to you until there's nobody left willing to offer them.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
I bet he keeps playing if he gets the right offer.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Shocking.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:19 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
was figuring we wouldnt hear this until the offseason.

also,

anyone want to go search the hudson for avery's skates with me?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

"I threw my skates in the Hudson"

What a baby. It is amazing that we kept him as long as we did.

03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
good. glad we wont have to hear about him anymore.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I bet he keeps playing if he gets the right offer.
Can't see him getting any offer, let alone the right offer.

03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
pld459666

I'm going to miss a guy that always stayed in good condition and played his ass off for this jersey.

Sean Avery played the game the way Sean Avery wanted to play the game. And in doing so, he helped the Rangers far more than he hurt them and anyone saying different is full of ****.

The league actually needs more charachters like Avery than the bland-vanilla-cookie cutter answer giving drones we have now.

It's a shame that we have coaches being recycled through the NHL Ranks that have no idea on how to deal with odd personalities.

Good luck in your new career path Sean. You will be missed.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 12:32 PM
robwrx04

Quote:
What's your problem?

I thought that was speculation/rumor and not fact?

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote